Alolan Vulpix, Ninetales Discussion

I will say though that like 80% of Ninetale's usage is gonna be Screens support using Light Clay, as providing half damage for strong sweepers is generally better than supporting some rather medicore (and still not terribly fast) Slush Rushers. I wouldn't be surprised if Ninetales-A sees a lot of usage in OU just because of Aurora Veil, though with how much normal screens get used (despite the variety of viable setters,) it very well might not.
Getting them in one turn makes a pretty big difference though imo.

I will say though that like 80% of Ninetale's usage is gonna be Screens support using Light Clay, as providing half damage for strong sweepers is generally better than supporting some rather medicore (and still not terribly fast) Slush Rushers. I wouldn't be surprised if Ninetales-A sees a lot of usage in OU just because of Aurora Veil, though with how much normal screens get used (despite the variety of viable setters,) it very well might not.
I just don't see how it's any better then Kelfki at that role. Sure Ninetales saves a turn, but the utility of spikes and Twave just seems better.

I just don't see how it's any better then Kelfki at that role. Sure Ninetales saves a turn, but the utility of spikes and Twave just seems better.
They tick with the same timestamp, so you get one more round of one screen; then there's chip damage that offense surely likes and Ninetales-A's offensive presence, by no means amazing, but STAB Blizzard is not exactly unspammable. Also, you counter enemy weather with one that's not affecting any of your own moves and Pokémon apart from chip damage.

Alolan Ninetales will definitely face competition as a screener from Klefki and Azelf in OU. Klefki has Prankster screens and Spikes/Thunder Wave while Azelf can set Stealth Rock.

Aside from Aurora Veil, a perk that Ninetales has over them is Encore, which helps create setup opportunities. A set with Light Clay + Aurora Veil / Encore / Blizzard / Moonblast could work and helps further distinguish it from Klefki and Azelf. The chip damage from Hail is also nice.

Alolan Ninetales will definitely face competition as a screener from Klefki and Azelf in OU. Klefki has Prankster screens and Spikes/Thunder Wave while Azelf can set Stealth Rock.

Aside from Aurora Veil, a perk that Ninetales has over them is Encore, which helps create setup opportunities. A set with Light Clay + Aurora Veil / Encore / Blizzard / Moonblast could work and helps further distinguish it from Klefki and Azelf. The chip damage from Hail is also nice.
Ninetails also can do damage unlike those prankster users. So she's not completely useless if someone taunts you, or if you are forced to attack you will do a lot of damage with 100% blizzards, moonblasts, and freezedrys

Ninetails also can do damage unlike those prankster users. So she's not completely useless if someone taunts you, or if you are forced to attack you will do a lot of damage with 100% blizzards, moonblasts, and freezedrys
I'd also call Aurora Veil much more of a playstyle that affects your whole team, while dual screens is 'nice to have'. It's impossibly easier to set something up that takes one turn than setting something up that takes two, since by then, you will face a counter, and with Ninetales-A, even if this counter traps and kills you (won't do that, since: Aurora Veil), you got a dual screen up.

I'd also call Aurora Veil much more of a playstyle that affects your whole team, while dual screens is 'nice to have'. It's impossibly easier to set something up that takes one turn than setting something up that takes two, since by then, you will face a counter, and with Ninetales-A, even if this counter traps and kills you (won't do that, since: Aurora Veil), you got a dual screen up.
Yeah having instant fast 2 screens up allows even that Ninetails to take much less damage. and with Light clay 8 turns of less damage is nice.

You do need to watch out for brick breaks and Psychic Jaws, but not sure how common those moves will be yet. If Aurora Veil becomes popular you will see those moves more. Though if you have a Sableye or Spritomb you combletely wall those moves.

Doesn't Aurora Veil half the damage taken all in one turn? That's way better than screens if that's the case. A lot can happen and stop you from setting up two screens like taunt and dying

Yea the fact that this is actually a GOOD MON all on it's own that can also set dual screens all in one turn and deny enemy weather is what makes this thing better than other screen setters, like far better. Honestly there's not even a comparison between this and the prankster screeners.

Yea the fact that this is actually a GOOD MON all on it's own that can also set dual screens all in one turn and deny enemy weather is what makes this thing better than other screen setters, like far better. Honestly there's not even a comparison between this and the prankster screeners.
Only thing I give them is priority. Pretty sure Scizors can just bullet punch and kill Nine takes before it sets anything up VS Klefki who can set up reflect before it even gets hit

Only thing I give them is priority. Pretty sure Scizors can just bullet punch and kill Nine takes before it sets anything up VS Klefki who can set up reflect before it even gets hit
That's true Alola Tales is pretty hard countered by Scizor but that's where the rest of the team comes in. I guess if you really wanna set up screens in front of Scizor though fine go with a prankster, otherwise I think you go with this.

Does Brick Break/Psychic Jaws break Veil? i assume so if Light Clay is an extension.
Yeah, they break it, but if you use Aurora Veil, you pretty much want to use Sableye-M, for it is bouncing Defog, keeping Aurora Veil intact and is immune to Brick Break and Psychic Jaws all at once.

Ema Skye

Work!
Would Alola-tales + Magnezone sound like a decent core, especially pre-bank where Scizor doesn't get Superpower?

people keep forgetting that prankster was nerfed this generation; the dark types klefki is supposed to check and counter can now make any thunder wave a 50/50 by merely existing in someone's team. even past that, priority blockers are going to be its best friend in setting things up (and tapu lele is gonna be s-tier in OU, honestly, so it'd be a pretty easy pivot)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)