Alomomola (Analysis)

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion

QC Approved 3/3

----------

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Unlike his alleged cousin Luvdisc, Alomomola is very bulky and supports his team well. Blessed with pure Water-typing and a great HP stat, Alomomola is capable of filling the role of "bulky water" quite well, keeping a variety of powerful threats at bay. Access to Wish is Alomomola's biggest use of all; thanks to Wish, Alomomola can pass Wishes of up to 267 HP to his teammates, in addition to using it as a reliable method of self-healing.</p>

<p>However, it isn't all pink hearts and sunshine for Alomomola. A small movepool and poor offensive stats let Alomomola down. Outside of Toxic, Alomomola often struggles to damage his opponents. Because of this, while being useful as a check to offensive teams, he is often setup bait for many Pokemon, particularly defensive threats such as Ferrothorn. Lastly, Alomomola is often overshadowed by Vaporeon, who has more Special Defense and also hits harder with a more powerful STAB attack.</p>

[SET]
name: Wish Support
move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect
move 3: Waterfall / Aqua Jet
move 4: Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Hydration
evs: 108 HP / 176 Def / 224 SpD
nature: Impish

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A Wish set is Alomomola's most viable option for competitive play, and thanks to his natural bulk he is capable of pulling it off quite well. With the given EV spread, Alomomola can pass 249 HP Wishes while maintaining great physical bulk. When at full health, Alomomola is even capable of taking a +2 Earthquake from Life Orb Excadrill. While base 75 Attack is quite low, it is still usable in conjunction with STAB Waterfall to ward off threats such as Heatran, Excadrill, and Chandelure. Aqua Jet is an option over Waterfall because of its ability to pick off weakened foes; however, due to Alomomola's low Attack it will often prove underwhelming. In the last slot, Toxic works well with Protect in the last slot as it will wear down the enemy with each passing turn. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs hit a jump point in Defense while increasing Alomomola's Special Defense as much as possible. The remaining EVs are put into HP, and hit a Leftovers benchmark. As far as filler moves go, Alomomola has several options aside from Toxic. Light Screen can be used to cushion blows from special attackers, while Mirror Coat can deflect said blows should Alomomola survive them. Refresh is also an option, as it allows Alomomola to shrug off poison, paralysis, or burn. It should also be noted that this set faces fierce competition from Vaporeon. The standard Vaporeon has 448/240/243 defenses, while Alomomola has 498/264/182 defenses, in the order of HP/Defense/Special Defense. Alomomola boasts more HP and Defense, while Vaporeon is more Specially Defensive and boasts greater offensive power. In general, Vaporeon is the superior choice unless you need Alomomola's superior physical bulk and larger Wishes.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Alomomola can utilize a Calm Mind set; however, its meager 40 Base Special Attack makes Suicune a more appealing option for such a role. A specially defensive set is also viable but usually not worth it as it is outclassed by Vaporeon in nearly every way. Alomomola does have several other options on his Wish set, though. Scald can be used over Waterfall, and while Alomomola won't be inflicting as much damage this way, it can still be useful as a pseudo-double status set. Light Screen, Mirror Coat, and Refresh are also viable alternatives to Toxic on the Wish set, although are usually not preferred. Lastly, while Soak may seem like a complete gimmick of a move, it allows Alomomola to defeat many of its best counters, such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory, by poisoning them.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Any strong Special attack that isn't resisted will normally 2HKO Alomomola. Most Electric- and Grass-type moves will OHKO as well, although Grass Knot only has 60 Base Power against Alomomola. Pokemon that don't fear Toxic and aren't weak to Waterfall will also set up on Alomomola; examples include Lucario, Scizor, Forretress, Skarmory, Conkeldurr, and Ferrothorn.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Alomomola's Dream World ability, Regenerator, replenishes one third of Alomomola's health when switching out. This is a very helpful ability for Alomomola as it allows Alomomola to restore its own HP as it switches out to heal another teammate with Wish (Alomomola will restore up to 166 Hit Points whenever switching out using the given EV spread and 31 HP IVs). This is also one of Alomolola's biggest advantages over Vaporeon, although it still faces fierce competition from Slowbro who also boasts stellar Defense and Water typing.</p>

I think you should add Submersion as an option over Waterfall / Aqua Jet so it can Toxic pokes like Nattorei and Heatran. Also, Light Screen can be used to increase its walling capabilities. Other than this, good job.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
You should probably remove Aqua Jet as an option. I mean, even Urugamosu lols at it:

0 Atk Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP/0 Def Urugamosu: 31.5% - 37.3%

I thought Healing Heart only worked for Doubles/Triples?

I dunno. I came on here looking for advice. This is what I have so far personally:
Adamant, max HP and Attack

Healing Beam, Waterfall, Return, Psych Up

The team is based around using Fire and Water Oaths to boost the hax of AncientPower.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I personally don't think Mamanbou should be investing in Attack at all, it being a purely defensive Pokemon and all. The EVs should be deviated to Special Defense to better sponge things such as Starmie Thunderbolt better (Mamanbou can actually survive Modest Life Orb Shandera's Energy Ball, too). The extra EVs CAN make a difference if you want the do support in forms of Wishing and stall/chip damage.

If I can Psych Up someone who got a lot of AncientPower boosts, I Mamanbou can sweep perfectly. Plus, Waterfall hax gets boosted by the rainbow.
um... Ancient Power has a 10% chance of raising all stats, so every ten times you use it, there will be one time where you will raise all stats. And the move has 8 PP at max. So at most, you'll only be getting 1 boost every battle, unless you're ridiculously lucky. And honestly, even if it does get the boosts, you can't sweep perfectly. Even a +6 will be stopped by loads of Pokemon. Hell, even Shedinja walls your moveset. Burungeru isn't affected either.

What about Mirror Coat? Looks like it'd be quite effective on this pokémon if you gave it the right EVs or a resist berry.

An EV spread of 234 HP / 24 Def / 252 SpDef with a Careful nature makes Mamanbou virtually as bulky as Vaporeon in both defense and special defense (the difference is negligible) and get a Leftovers HP number + 1. I'm not sure if Mamanbou should just stick to his strengths, but I thought that this spread was worth a mention.

EDIT: Some calcs for proof:

252 Adamant Doryuuzu Earthquake

vs. 248/224 Bold Vaporeon : 40.4% - 47.9%
vs. 232/24 Careful Mamanbou : 40.8% - 48.2%

252 Timid Ulgamoth Bug Buzz

vs. 248/36 Bold Vaporeon : 27.4% - 32.4%
vs. 232/252 Careful Mamanbou : 27.2% - 31.9%

But Vaporeon at least can attack. Boil Over is especially valuable on him.
Maybe CM set could work?
Alomomola @ Leftovers
Hydration, Bold nature
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 whatever
-Pain Split/Wish/Aqua Ring
-Calm Mind
-Boiling Water
-Ice Beam/Some HP
Basicaly Slowbro with more HP and Pain Split to damage+heal, Wish to heal+pass, or even Aqua Ring instead of Slack Off.

The above set is good in paper, but I think Pain Split should not be an option. Alomomola has a huge HP stat, so using Pain Split is unwise.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Hydration, Bold nature
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
-Rest
-Calm Mind
-Boiling Water
-Aqua Ring / Sing A Round
Rain support is mandatory for this set however even after using Calm Mind 6 times, a minimum special attack of 340 isn't going to get you far.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I get the feeling with Nattoreis and Water absorb Burungerus ahoy in the current metagame, Calm Mind Alomomola just won't do. Suicune just might be better at this role, even then. Also, like Parachomp said, that low Special Attack won't get you anywhere, even with walls like Skarmory.

After long amounts of testing, a CM-Tank set is extremely viable. CM gives it GREAT SpD, while the common burning chance helps his Def.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Bold~252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-Wish
-Protect
-Boil Over
-Calm Mind

Screw Vaporeon and Seismitoad, I've got Nattorei.

After long amounts of testing, a CM-Tank set is extremely viable. CM gives it GREAT SpD, while the common burning chance helps his Def.
A CM set with 116 Spatt and a 80BP STAB move, not to mention the lack of Poison immunity. Don't make me laugh, lol.

evs: 108 HP / 176 Def / 224 SpDef
I have calculated that when running 176 Def and an Impish Nature running 80 HP/176 Def/252 SpD is a more optimal EV spread than the one in your current analyse.
Here are some calculations if you don't believe me. Damage here is done by a standard Choice Spec's Latios Draco Meteor.

Your spread: 89.3% - 105.2%
My spread: 87% - 102.6%

From a CB Scizor using U-turn

Your spread: 33.9% - 40%
My spread: 34.4% - 40.5%

You take 2.5% less damage from Special based hits at the sacrifice of taking a mere 0.5% more damage from Physicall hits by running my spread.

A CM set with 116 Spatt and a 80BP STAB move, not to mention the lack of Poison immunity. Don't make me laugh, lol.
Uhm, no, its serious. Besides, its more of a tank than a Offensive Calm Minder, and Shadow Ball has only 80 BP, yet look how scary Gengar and Shanderaa. Mamanbou can easily get several calm minds with its massive bulk.

Uhm, no, its serious. Besides, its more of a tank than a Offensive Calm Minder, and Shadow Ball has only 80 BP, yet look how scary Gengar and Shanderaa. Mamanbou can easily get several calm minds with its massive bulk.
Gengar and Chandelure don't have 40 SpA. Alomomola is completely outclassed by Suicune, Slowbro, Latias, Jirachi, and probably at least one or two others when it comes to setting up with Calm Mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)