1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Alomomola

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Eeyore, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore

With access to Heal Pulse, Helping Hand, Wide Guard, Regenerator and Healer, I think it's about time Alomomola gets mentioned around VGC.

252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 163-193 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
    4 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Alomomola: 296-350 (55.4 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252+ Atk Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 150-177 (28 - 33.1%) -- 86.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 118-141 (22 - 26.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Alomomola: 427-504 (79.9 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 231-273 (43.2 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Think of this monster as your last minute recovery.
    Aloma is cranking out Helping Hands and Heal Pulses to keep your Garchomp or your Guts Conk chugging and wiping the field, while it happily assists and makes sure nothing gets by your last defense.

With the game so dominated by leads, and leads being such an option, it's nice to see a utility pokemon-- one you don't have to lead with, but one you can stick in your 5th slot as an arsenal user, or a late-game monster. And I don't think it's fair to pass up someone like Aloma. It fits well in certain niches-- like alongside Manectric/Mega-Manectric, and next to Rhyperior/Garchomp/mega-Amphy. All hard hitters that could use a little bulk.

Here's the set I used

Alomomola (F) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Healer/Regenerator
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Impish Nature
    - Helping Hand/Heal Pulse
    - Heal Pulse/Wish
    - Waterfall/Toxic/Surf/Blizzard
    - Protect

It seems on paper like this fish has a ton of options.
    I'd love to hear your ideas.
    mac1275 likes this.
  2. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

I don't have much opinion other than "Alomomola is kinda jank but maybe has a minor niche or two" but...

1) Level 50 for VGC.
    2) Gardevoir doesn't get Hyper Voice, it's a past tutor move only. (And nobody is using Outrage either.)
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore

You're right, and I should recalculate, but I was doing it mainly to prove its bulk.
  4. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

I don't think anyone fails to realize that Alomomola is very physically bulky, those that remember it even exists, but Snorlax is even more bulky specially and less of a slouch on the opposite spectrum. Nobody uses Snorlax either. One might say that is where it earns its niche status -- it's not irredeemably all-around bad like say Corsola.

What else is there to say? I could list its learnset of good moves. I don't have any experience using it, and neither will anyone else, so I can't say much more. If Pachirisu can see rare usage, surely a few people can put Alomomola to good use.
    Eeyore likes this.
  5. Nightwalkr

Nightwalkr

I actually think this fish has potential. Wide Guard seems especially useful since it would allow her teammates to use Earthquake or Discharge without getting caught in the attack herself. However, you did forget to mention Aqua Jet. A priority move would definitely assist in finishing off Sashed Pokémon. Light Screen is also another possibility for her to support her teammates.
    mac1275 and Eeyore like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)