Alphability ORAS [Check Post #232]

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
btw fur coat should be banned. If huge/pure power need banning, so does fur coat, since they do the same thing for opposite stats. Fur coat doubles defense, just like huge power doubles attack

btw fur coat should be banned. If huge/pure power need banning, so does fur coat, since they do the same thing for opposite stats. Fur coat doubles defense, just like huge power doubles attack
That is true (although Wonder Guard and Shadow Tag need a ban more), but Fur Coat only affects ~50% of the hits you have to take, while Huge/Pure Power affect all of its attacks. It should definitely be banned, alongside Slaking, Regigigas, Shadow Tag, Arena Trap and Wonder Guard.

xJownage

That is true (although Wonder Guard and Shadow Tag need a ban more), but Fur Coat only affects ~50% of the hits you have to take, while Huge/Pure Power affect all of its attacks. It should definitely be banned, alongside Slaking, Regigigas, Shadow Tag, Arena Trap and Wonder Guard.
only physical attacks.

Slaking, regigigas, maybe archeops, and the trapping abilities need banning, I cannot agree enough.

xJownage

Name a Pokémon that uses special attacks with Huge Power. If the person using it is half-decent, they will use a completely physical (maybe with some status moves) set.
and then fur coat can completely counter it. You are saying its only 50%, but its 50% in the same way. fur coat makes huge power neutral, is what I am saying.

Name a Pokémon that uses special attacks with Huge Power. If the person using it is half-decent, they will use a completely physical (maybe with some status moves) set.
Well I mean, some do use the Special coverage to hit physically bulky Pokemon. For example, Garchomp often runs Fire Blast to nail Skarmory.

xJownage

But the guy you quoted said things with H/PP. double :p
I'm not at all saying that hp/pp should be unbanned, I am saying that fur coat does literally the same thing. Sure you can work around it, but just use a chansey alongside it, and something to answer the mons that give it trouble, and you have a near-broken defensive core. Fur Coat needs to GTFO.

technician throh? 180 BP storm throw before STAB. doesn't get much else to play with, though, besides circle throw. it seems way too slow to use rock tomb or bulldoze effectively. maybe power-up punch, idk.

parental bond pinsir though. people keep mentioning it but no one has taken a page from the "megas for all" thread: fury cutter. 40 BP on the first hit, 80 on the second, and it only takes one turn. the next turn it's 160 from there on out, unless you're forced to stop using it. clear bug resists and sweep.

finally, i must mention one of my fave slurpuff sets, replacing unburden with simple: cotton guard + calm mind + draining kiss. i can totally see sub/salac over surf. it won't be the best, especially in this metagame, but it's fun!

edit:

Wow, that is actually kinda brilliant. Lead with a Magic Bouncer to prevent them from setting up SR, then switch to Shedy to set up the sand. Sadly since you can't have more than 1 Pokemon with the same ability, seems kinda wasteful to make your only sand starter a suicide Pokemon.
you could always have something with sandstorm (and a bulky ability like regenerator, or fur coat + recovery)

Last edited:
I just did a battle with The Immortal and I can conclude Simple Smeargle is pretty insane, he can give a double Shell Smash to any Pokemon that has a way of beating Wonder Guards and it's a pretty easy win, this is what I run.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Spore
- Baton Pass
- Magic Coat

Shaymin @ White Herb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Worry Seed
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Psychic

Smeargle does the obvious easy passing which is hard to prevent, if you predict a taunt use Magic Coat, otherwise use Shell Smash or Spore (Don't use Spore if the opponent has the M of Magic Bounce), afterwards pass to Shaymin who ignores the drops with White Herb, hits most Wonder Guards in Earth Power/Psychic/Seed Flare and has Worry Seed for those it can't hit. It has pretty decent bulk as well to survive most priority and it can easily take a hit after the Baton Pass. Sheer Force just makes it even stronger than it would already be as it boosts all three moves. Eventually at +4 Seed Flare will destroy anything that doesn't resist it and the coverage takes care of the rest.

TL;DR Smeargle + Sweeper destroys everyone who isn't prepared (Sash, lots of priority, Scarf igglybuff)

I thought of this too, except I'm using sturdy+power herb geomancy into a mold breaker mew. Haven't tested it yet, but smeagle looks broken. It can run shadow tag, sturdy, or simple and baton pass to anything and wreck.

Smeargle @ Power Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Geomancy
- Cotton Guard
- Baton Pass

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stored Power
- Soft-Boiled
- Aura Sphere
- Calm Mind

Whiscash and other Wonder guard pokemon look completely broken, especially in conjunction with the even more broken shadow tag+arena trap. Wonder Guard Whiscash and Arena Trap Arcanine looks really broken together, as does a special wall such as Chansey and something to deal with physical attackers such as Shadow Tag Slowbro. Is there somewhere we can play this? I wanna test out all the broken shit :)

Also, we need to quick-ban Shadow Tag, Arena Trap, Wonder Guard, Regigigas, and Slaking. Archeops, Shedinja, Speed Boost and Contrary also look broken.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Slaking and Regigigas are broken in every metagame where they don't have to use their own ability, and I'm kinda surprised they're not banned here. Wonder Guard, Contrary and Simple are also some abilities that are common in every single game.
I have made a team quickly with Sturdy Shedinja, Sheer Force Slaking, Turboblaze Tyranitar, Mold Breaker Manaphy, Unaware Umbreon and Simple Smeargle just because they look good, but I'm still not sure if I can deal with the OP abilities listed above (even not with T-Tar and Manaphy)

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Also, we need to quick-ban Shadow Tag, Arena Trap, Wonder Guard, Regigigas, and Slaking. Archeops, Shedinja, Speed Boost and Contrary also look broken.
Slaking and Regigigas are broken in every metagame where they don't have to use their own ability, and I'm kinda surprised they're not banned here. Wonder Guard, Contrary and Simple are also some abilities that are common in every single game.
the point here is that in theory this will balance out:
slaking and regigigas are stopped by wonder guarders
wonder guarders fall to any decently strong teravolt / turboblaze / mold breaker user
other stuff gets wrecked by slaking / regigigas / archeops / co.

wonder guarders fall to any decently strong teravolt / turboblaze / mold breaker user
perhaps we could implement an Uber alphability tier?

xJownage

its like hackmons, but worse.

if anything, wonder guard needs to be banned. If we wanted to play with wg there would still be a hackmons ladder. I do not care for WG mons limited to one type. I truly think that this meta will not actually be played much while wonder guard is an overcentralizing pile of shit. There are many cool mons in this meta that are possible but are made useless due to being completely outclassed by mold breakers (or variants), wonder guarders, sturdinja, or shadow taggers even. This metagame is severely limited in viability, and hidden gems dont exist either. Wonder Guard needs to be banned before i imagine a decent following trying to play this meta. once banned, the following abilities need to be banned:, Shadow tag (and its variants), parental bond, fur coat, sturdinja, contrary, speed boost, slaking, regigigas, maybe archeops, and maybe imposter. until these are banned, ALL OF THEM, this will be like hackmons with like a tenth of the viable mons, and with impisster it will be like BH, which are nothing near what anybody wants this metagame to be.

its like hackmons, but worse.

if anything, wonder guard needs to be banned. If we wanted to play with wg there would still be a hackmons ladder. I do not care for WG mons limited to one type. I truly think that this meta will not actually be played much while wonder guard is an overcentralizing pile of shit. There are many cool mons in this meta that are possible but are made useless due to being completely outclassed by mold breakers (or variants), wonder guarders, sturdinja, or shadow taggers even. This metagame is severely limited in viability, and hidden gems dont exist either. Wonder Guard needs to be banned before i imagine a decent following trying to play this meta. once banned, the following abilities need to be banned:, Shadow tag (and its variants), parental bond, fur coat, sturdinja, contrary, speed boost, slaking, regigigas, maybe archeops, and maybe imposter. until these are banned, ALL OF THEM, this will be like hackmons with like a tenth of the viable mons, and with impisster it will be like BH, which are nothing near what anybody wants this metagame to be.
thank you for being the first to give a complete and sensible reason to ban said abilities, I completely agree with this. If only my opinion mattered :(

Its funny how people are freaking out about Aerilate Archeops when Adaptability means it can hit you with a 300 Base Power Head Smash, not like it needs to stay at high HP anymore. Oh and if that's not enough there's always Power Herb + Sky Attack for a nice 280 Base power nuke, then following up with Acrobatics which hits a nice 220 base power. And what's the best Aerilate can do? 198 base power Return? Weak.
Pansage @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Level: 2
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Recycle
- Leech Seed
- Endeavor
- Worry Seed

I damn near died laughing at this. That picture is the greatest thing I've ever seen.
Ok guys, please realize something. Hustle + Hone claws is just a +2 attack boost. It's just a swords dance that takes up an ability slot so that it will have +1 immediately. If you going to take a turn to setup, run whatever with SD and not hustle hone claws because all it does for u is have a boost sooner
Actually Hustle applies a x1.5 multiplier to the Pokemon's Attack stat. While a Swords Dance would apply a x2 Multiplier, this means that the pokemon get 2 x1.5 multipliers.

+1 252 Atk Hustle Haxorus Dual Chop (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 408-482 (106.2 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Haxorus Dual Chop (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 362-428 (94.2 - 111.4%) -- approx. 75% chance to OHKO

In short, Hustle + Hone Claws =/= Swords Dance and is instead a somewhat more powerful version of Swords Dance that some pokemon the don't get SD but do get HC can use.

EDIT: Just realized deleted posts still show up. Well just incase anyone asks I hang around another forum alot and that's how everyone merges posts there so...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)