Amanda Todd: The Impact of Cyber Bullying

Status
Not open for further replies.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Why help someone who is stupid and psychologically weak enough to do everything that got her into trouble, and then self-harm with cutting and drugs and subsequently commit suicide? She got undeserved attention and the video is also very misinformative and biased. Instead of focusing on some stupid white harlot who sold herself out to men at 15, expected no repercussions, and then stupidly wasted her own life, why not focus on some real fucking tragedies with relevance - starvation, malnutrition and thirst, child soldiers, atrocities, repression of women, etc - which affect thousands of people. She squandered her advantaged position in life. What a worthless, melodramatic, and pathetic human being.

Stuff like this makes me incredibly angry at the world.
Yesterday there were two hundred and fourty four violent rapes in the united states ^_^
forget the third world, we've got enough problems to fill the internet's endless amount of pity right here

Why help someone who is stupid and psychologically weak enough to do everything that got her into trouble, and then self-harm with cutting and drugs and subsequently commit suicide?
This kind of attitude is basically saying, "Hey, I don't know what got this person so messed up. I don't care. I only care that she was messed up." I know that some people actually truly do think this way and are unashamed about it, but to me, there's something inhuman about it. That doesn't mean I don't accept that there are so many problems in the world, most of them bigger than this one. I do. I'm not going to use that to justify dismissing stuff like this entirely, though.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
people posting "NEWS BROADCASTS SHOULD BE SELF-IMMOLATING MONKS AND NOTHING ELSE TWENTY FOUR HOURS A DAY" can kindly keep it to themselves, nobody itc is a king masterlord mediaographer who decided this was "news-worthy," and since it IS in the news there's no reason not to talk about it. if you want to judge what is "worth" having a thread, you can go make your own Pokemon social forum and discuss what should and should not be deleted all you'd like! but i don't care so shut up about it

as for my opinion on the actual "whatever," I don't care enough about it to form an opinion, but if there hadn't been multiple people bitching about the newsworthiness of this story nobody would even know

discussing the gary rape or whatever and juxtaposing the media's portrayal of the two events is fine, just not "guys I saw a picture of a distended belly and now starving africans haunt my dreams, why not report more on that??dam media pigs"

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it's not like they aren't other paths to take to deal with bullying other than suicide...
I'm with Triangles

I'm agreeing with jrrrrrrr and Triangles here. What happened to her was deplorable, but she isn't exactly whiter than white here. Posing topless on a webcam not once but several times (even after she'd felt the repercussions of the first time), what else did she expect? Respect and adoration? She made some stupid decisions of her own accord and evidently never learned from them. Ultimatley she died due to her own actions. She's certainly no saint and people who have done nothing wrong are bullied every day for being ugly/gay/a convenient scapegoat.

Obviously suicide is tragic, but I don't think anyone can convince me that she didn't fuel the flames of her own predicament.

I find it hard to be sympathetic here. Yes, its sad she killed herself, but lets face the facts, she killed herself over petty issues that were ultimately her own fault. I mean, she exposed herself to people she knew over the internet which is NEVER a good idea, and then she went and had sex with someone who was already in a relationship, whilst still being underage... that is a pretty impressive level of stupid right there. I'm not saying that to be harsh, either. It utterly baffles me as to how anyone can come to the conclusion at that age that just throwing yourself out at the world like that is a good idea when you have no consideration of the consequences at hand.

To then KILL yourself over it...astounds me. I will never find myself sympathetic with any suicide case because its honestly the most fucking retarded thing you can do to yourself. If you get to the point in your life as a person living in a first world country with a roof over your head where you decide to end your life you're SERIOUSLY taking too much for granted. And this isn't coming from a cold, heartless soul- my brother pulled a very similar stunt to this (video and everything) a few months back, all because his girlfriend didn't want to be with him(for very good reasons too, he wasnt the nicest to her). Luckily he got away from his incident with nothing but a story, but the point is even at the time it was impossible to sympathise with him because he was just being a fucking moron over a situation that was ENTIRELY avoidable if he wasn't a dick. And this is a 22 year old man we're talking about, not a 15 year old girl.

Meanwhile I have my best friend who's lost both her mum, her dad and several other close family members to illness (cancer and motor neurone) in the space of a year, she has no-one else left except her friends, her boyfriend and her brother, all aside from me have moved away to university in various locations, so she currently has next to no-one. And she's perfectly alive. Not once has she self harmed. So, excuse me for being "heartless", but its really really hard to sympathise and justify this sort of ridiculousness and melodrama when there are other people who have suffered real, scarring, life changing issues and are soldiering on and dealing with it. Its almost insulting this kind of thing gets so much attention when other, real tragedies are left mostly ignored to the public.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
it's easy to spot the people in this thread who weren't bullied as children. my brother's one of the strongest guys i know and he tried to hang himself as a kid because of bullying - calling somebody psychologically weak and worthless because they were depressed is actually infuriating to me.

Triangles said:
Instead of focusing on some stupid white harlot who sold herself out to men at 15, expected no repercussions, and then stupidly wasted her own life, why not focus on some real fucking tragedies with relevance - starvation, malnutrition and thirst, child soldiers, atrocities, repression of women, etc - which affect thousands of people.
the US spend over $50 billion a year on foreign aid and countless more billions on supposedly philanthropic wars/international peace efforts. they spent nothing on amanda todd. you obviously don't care about philanthropy as much as i infer if you think you can come across as being all for world peace in one breath yet launch a scathing tirade against a victimised child with the next.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why does it have to be one side's fault? She obviously shouldn't have posted her nude picture on the internet, and all those students obviously shouldn't have continually abused her. There are so blatantly obvious mistakes on both sides I don't see how any of you can think it's only tragic or only her fault.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
it's easy to spot the people in this thread who weren't bullied as children. my brother's one of the strongest guys i know and he tried to hang himself as a kid because of bullying - calling somebody psychologically weak and worthless because they were depressed is actually infuriating to me.

the US spend over $50 billion a year on foreign aid and countless more billions on supposedly philanthropic wars/international peace efforts. they spent nothing on amanda todd. you obviously don't care about philanthropy as much as i infer if you think you can come across as being all for world peace in one breath yet launch a scathing tirade against a victimised child with the next.
I'm not saying that the world doesn't do enough to combat tragedies, I'm saying that the focus of sympathy is incorrect and that as opposed to getting worked up over one "victimised" girl, more emphasis should be put on the thrid-world tragedies which most people turn a blind eye to in their everyday lives.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
@moonbound

oh shit sorry you're right, i just googled it and apparently canada have forgone foreign aid this year, electing instead to spend their entire budget on amanda todd. my bad.

You are acting like its a perfectly understandable thing to kill yourself because scumbag kids called you names. Of course we've been all bullied at some point or another, but the difference here is that this girl did ridiculous things that GOT her bullied. HOW can you justify her killing herself when she fueled the fire? And, even if she had no portion of the blame, at what point in your teenage life did you ever decide "kids at school were mean to me today, I guess this means my life is over"? I know I was nowhere near the popular kid but when you're in that situation you deal with it because its only goddamn school, you're not gonna even remember the names of these little dicks in a few years because you move on to bigger and better things.

@moonbound

oh shit sorry you're right, i just googled it and apparently canada have forgone foreign aid this year, electing instead to spend their entire budget on amanda todd. my bad.
It's no government's job to control high school drama. The girls in Africa who managed to survive to 15 aren't living in poverty and starvation because they revealed themselves to strangers on the internet.

You guys are simplifying the issue a lot more than it probably is. For all you know she had an actual mental illness that should have been treated. Actually, do we even know anything else about her? We don't. I didn't want to post too many times but some of these posts just have a really myopic perspective...

It is indeed sad, but I have to go with jrrrrrrr and meteor64 on this one. Getting bullied for no reason is one thing, but getting bullied because of something you already did is a completely different scenario, especially with the exact reason of why she was bullied.

She shouldn't have posted the pictures online, and had she not, she probably wouldn't have been bullied like she was. Anyone remember Hayley Williams of Paramore's boob picture? It's mistakes like that that tend to ruin reputations. I feel bad for her that she was put in this situation, but I also feel that she should have thought better of it.

Obviously suicide is tragic, but I don't think anyone can convince me that she didn't fuel the flames of her own predicament.

(emphasis mine)

This. Oh my God this. Lee is absolutely spot on. People seem to be forgetting that different things will naturally affect people in different manners. We all have different psyches, sensitivities and tolerances. None of us are in a position to judge the extent of how depressed she was by it all.

It's no government's job to control high school drama. The girls in Africa who managed to survive to 15 aren't living in poverty and starvation because they revealed themselves to strangers on the internet.
You mean it's not the role of the state to protect its vulnerable citizens?

This girl made mistakes. Did she deserve to die for them? Absolutely not. The fact that she was receiving counselling (if the OP is correct) and this still resulted is even more tragic. There was someone trying to help her, and it still ended this horribly.

EDIT: Eo below hits the nail on the head with people's reactions to this in general.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
So, what I'm getting from this thread is that I have an obligation to direct my sympathies, concerns, and interests to the most objectively important causes, and all people are expected to respond to a given set of circumstances in a decided, rational manner, and if they don't, they are not worthy of sympathy.

And I would be happy to do so if anyone had bothered to make a thread on starvation and poverty in Africa since KONY 2012.

You are acting like its a perfectly understandable thing to kill yourself because scumbag kids called you names. Of course we've been all bullied at some point or another, but the difference here is that this girl did ridiculous things that GOT her bullied. HOW can you justify her killing herself when she fueled the fire? And, even if she had no portion of the blame, at what point in your teenage life did you ever decide "kids at school were mean to me today, I guess this means my life is over"? I know I was nowhere near the popular kid but when you're in that situation you deal with it because its only goddamn school, you're not gonna even remember the names of these little dicks in a few years because you move on to bigger and better things.
What the fuck???? How can you honestly say that this girl is at fault in killing herself? Sure, she made some stupid mistakes; no one can deny that. But saying that everyone who has ever been bullied should just "deal with it," is an unrealistic view to take on something like suicide. Suicide isn't about making rational decisions. This was nothing like some kids bullied her at school, there was some serious harrassment going on. did you notice the part where she was beaten? How the fuck can you say this isn't a tragedy??? Of course, there are other people who are suffering from "real tragedies" as you would call them, but that shouldn't minimize what has happened here. I don't see why people can show at least some amount of sympathy no matter if you think she is at fault here or not.

But of course it's a lot easier to pretend she's at fault (making some dumb mistakes? how dare she?) and bring up how children are starving in Africa (which is funny because no one here actually cares about stravation in Africa; they just want to pretend that this isn't a big deal.

It is indeed sad, but I have to go with jrrrrrrr and meteor64 on this one. Getting bullied for no reason is one thing, but getting bullied because of something you already did is a completely different scenario, especially with the exact reason of why she was bullied.

She shouldn't have posted the pictures online, and had she not, she probably wouldn't have been bullied like she was. Anyone remember Hayley Williams of Paramore's boob picture? It's mistakes like that that tend to ruin reputations. I feel bad for her that she was put in this situation, but I also feel that she should have thought better of it.
so because she messed up that made it ok?

edit: the above post pretty much sums what i'm trying to get at

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
What the fuck???? How can you honestly say that this girl is at fault in killing herself? Sure, she made some stupid mistakes; no one can deny that. But saying that everyone who has ever been bullied should just "deal with it," is an unrealistic view to take on something like suicide. Suicide isn't about making rational decisions. This was nothing like some kids bullied her at school, there was some serious harrassment going on. did you notice the part where she was beaten? How the fuck can you say this isn't a tragedy??? Of course, there are other people who are suffering from "real tragedies" as you would call them, but that shouldn't minimize what has happened here. I don't see why people can show at least some amount of sympathy no matter if you think she is at fault here or not.

But of course it's a lot easier to pretend she's at fault (making some dumb mistakes? how dare she?) and bring up how children are starving in Africa (which is funny because no one here actually cares about stravation in Africa; they just want to pretend that this isn't a big deal.
Amanda Todd should have informed her parents and the police earlier about the bullying, and in the first place should never have flashed her breasts to strangers when underage. She was "beaten" not just because of the photo, but because she slept with other girls' boyfriends.

At the end of the day, it is one of many deaths. If the hundreds of thousands of deaths caused by third-world tragedy are just a statistic to all of you, then surely one death where the person in question chose to die is a far smaller, far more irrelevant statistic.

Why help someone who is stupid and psychologically weak enough to do everything that got her into trouble, and then self-harm with cutting and drugs and subsequently commit suicide? She got undeserved attention and the video is also very misinformative and biased. Instead of focusing on some stupid white harlot who sold herself out to men at 15, expected no repercussions, and then stupidly wasted her own life, why not focus on some real fucking tragedies with relevance - starvation, malnutrition and thirst, child soldiers, atrocities, repression of women, etc - which affect thousands of people. She squandered her advantaged position in life. What a worthless, melodramatic, and pathetic human being.

Stuff like this makes me incredibly angry at the world.
No wonder there are so much tragedies in this world with so many people as cold as you. So what if she did some mistake, she was young and at that age the brain is not even fully developed. Something that perv was sure to take advantage of, girls at that age are hungry for attension and stuff.

Melodramatic? Do you think people really choose to be depressed? >_> You obviosly have no clue about the human mind..

Ok, like, why are you guys so focused on the kids who bullied her at school and facebook and not the guy who stalked and blackmailed her?

Amanda Todd should have informed her parents and the police earlier about the bullying, and in the first place should never have flashed her breasts to strangers when underage. She was "beaten" not just because of the photo, but because she slept with other girls' boyfriends.

At the end of the day, it is one of many deaths. If the hundreds of thousands of deaths caused by third-world tragedy are just a statistic to all of you, then surely one death where the person in question chose to die is a far smaller, far more irrelevant statistic.
again i ask, does that make it ok? you seem to imply yes, which, if so, i would i have to question what exactly is wrong with you. You also seemed to miss the part where she got counselling and where she moved to a different school. You are now just implying that she didn't do all those things you said. Did you even read the OP at all? I'd guess no.

I find third-world tragedy to be tragic. I didn't say anywhere in my post that it was a statistic to me, but good try! Saying that we shouldn't care about issues such as suicide when people are dying in third-world tragedies is both an ignorant and irrelevant statement. Obviously it is a big deal. But it isn't really relevant in that you know, we can do both at the same time? Of course, you don't really care about Africa (as Eo said where's the Africa thread?) and I doubt you've ever helped contribute to prevent a third-world tragedy in your life.

Either way, it's hard to take anything you say seriously when you are deluded enough to post shit like this:
Triangles said:
Frankly I find you to be a pathetic human being but I guess that isn't really relevant.

Suicide is not ok at all, but then again, neither is showing your goods when you're 13....
So you are saying it was ok to blackmail / stalk / beat her because of what she did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)