Amaura [QC: 3/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Overview
########
  • One of the two new fossil Pokemon, never-before-seen dual typing
  • This Pokemon is very good against Flying-types in general, walling their STAB and also having super effective dual-STAB against them
  • Refrigerate ability makes all Normal-type moves into Ice-type moves and also grants a 1.3x boost, practically a Life Orb boost with no recoil on a turn where the boost applies
  • Snow Warning is illegal on it as of now
  • Rock/Ice typing is awesome offensively but totally horrible defensively; it has a ton of weaknesses and even a 4x weakness to Steel and Fighting
  • Priority attacks destroy it
  • This mon must be played with care in order to shine with its strong points, and it is not the liability to teams it appears to be if used properly; you kinda have to REALLY know what you're doing with it or you're going to think it sucks
Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Nature Power
move 2: Ancient Power
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Hyper Beam / Dark Pulse
ability: Refrigerate
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 60 HP / 220 SpA / 228 Spe
nature: Modest

Moves
========
  • Nature Power, the main attack, turns into Tri Attack this generation and is especially unique on Amaura because of Refrigerate giving it Ice-typing and practically a Life Orb boost, which totals at 156 Base Power if you include STAB... very powerful and also has a nice 20% chance to burn/freeze/paralyze
  • Ancient Power is the obligatory second STAB move that has awesome coverage alongside Nature Power, particularly against Fire-types
  • Thunderbolt can work to nail the Water-types that resist Nature Power and also provide a third super effective attack against Flying, making none of them safe... mostly a filler move
  • Dark Pulse can be used to hit Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Gastly and Gothita... mostly a filler move
  • Hyper Beam is an extreme option that adds up to be a 292 Base Power Ice-type attack that obliterates almost any important threat late-game after Amaura has already put in work; it is a kamikaze but can be worth it when you need to take down an important threat quickly
  • It's a shame it doesn't get Freeze Dry like Aurorus, its evolution
Set Details
========
  • With the given Speed investment and Choice Scarf, Amaura hits 21 Speed, enough to outspeed everything in the game under normal conditions
  • Modest nature is recommended here to make Amaura the most potent specially offensive threat possible, and Amaura still has all the Speed it needs
  • The minimal EVs in defenses are enough to raise them each by a point despite the huge investment in Speed and Special Attack
  • Amaura has naturally high HP and thus less necessity for investing there (hits 24 HP with no investment)
Usage Tips
========
  • Amaura isn't that frail but it doesn't have Eviolite on the set and DOES have a lot of weaknesses (Grass, Water, Ground, Rock, Steel 4x, Fighting 4x), so it must be played with utmost care and not allowed to take super effective hits
  • Amaura is weak to a ton of priority moves including Aqua Jet and is especially weak to Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, and Vacuum Wave, avoid these at all costs
  • Never ever switch Amaura in unless you are 100% sure it will be coming in on a resist; Amaura really shines vs Flying-types but is also resistant to Normal, Poison, and Ice
  • Amaura does poorly against Steel-types and should have teammates that can deal with these as well as the problems mentioned above
  • STAB Ice/Rock coverage is incredible offensively and puts some serious hurt (clean OHKO) on popular top-tier threats such as Gligar, Fletchling, and Murkrow, while also obliterating anti-meta threats such as Growlithe, Vullaby, Natu, and Archen
  • Hyper Beam is the panic button; use it only if you absolutely need it... even if you can't kill your active enemy with any of your moves, don't use it if you may need it later, switch out instead... it is acceptable to use this attack against something like Berry Juice/Unburden Swirlix to get by it without having to put up with its bullshit; if you use Hyper Beam you will die next turn unless your opponent's an idiot, so be very reserved with your use of it; having 21 Speed and a 292 BP attack is a huge blessing that obliterates just about every neutral target in the game from full health even with Eviolite and can turn entire games around if used at the right moment; after you get rid of the big threat, you then have switch advantage after they kill you off, so you get to keep momentum ^_^
Team Options
========
  • Amaura ABSOLUTELY NEEDS team support, cushions to fall back on reliably
  • Physically defensive Slowpoke is the best partner Amaura can possibly have, as it soaks up all the priority attacks that Amaura is weak to, and also walls the two types that Amaura is 4x weak against
  • Honedge cushions Amaura's weak points comfortably and can take advantage by setting up with Swords Dance or Autotomize after switching in, though it does share a Ground weakness with Amaura (but Amaura can deal with Ground-types with its Ice STAB rather easily so it shouldn't have to switch out of those)
  • Pawniard is a huge problem for Amaura both offensively and defensively so any bulky Fighting-type at decent health (and preferably a priority Fighting-type attack) can be an awesome teammate: mons that come to mind are Impish Eviolite Mienfoo, Special Croagunk, and Timburr
  • Any teammate that can remove hazards (particularly Stealth Rock) is greatly appreciated by Amaura and helps with its longevity
Other Options
########
  • A bulky set with Thunder Wave can be used as a Flying-type counter, and this is especially good for countering Murkrow, as Amaura resists Flying and Nature Power causes Sucker Punch to fail, being a status move that converts into an attacking move; however, Amaura's awful typing renders this kind of set useless against most everything else in the metagame
  • Rock Polish can work well but most Steel-types will either kill Amaura or force it out, so Thunder Wave is generally a better option for a lasting Speed advantage over opponents
  • Amaura has access to tons of support moves, including dual screens, Calm Mind, Encore, Haze, Psych Up, and Safeguard, but it doesn't have the typing to be able to effectively use any of these in most situations
  • Amaura can go physical with a set that include Return, Rock Slide, and Bulldoze, but its special offense is more reliable and generally better to use in the tier
  • Mirror Coat is kind of gimmicky but Amaura does have access to it
Checks & Counters
########
  • Steel-types are the bane of Amaura's existence; Pawniard, Bronzor, Ferroseed, Honedge, even Aron all give it hell, easily knocking Amaura out in one hit while it's STABs are walled and so it can't do much to them
  • Timburr, Special Croagunk, Meditite, Carvanha, anything with a super priority attack (especially Steel- or Fighting-type) can quite easily check Amaura with the threat of a OHKO or pretty damn close to one if Amaura has full health with Eviolite; this is especially a problem against the Scarf set, as priority overrides Amaura's boosted Speed
  • Specially defensive Chinchou is the one bulky Water-type that walls Nature Power and isn't hit for super effective damage by Thunderbolt, and can hit back hard with a super effective Water-type move
  • Munchlax with Thick Fat and Earthquake could get around Amaura quite easily
  • Other Scarfers such as Gligar and Chinchou obviously give the Choice Scarf set trouble, as they both outspeed and hit it hard with a super effective STAB move

Last edited:
I personally haven't tried this set myself, but a few people have and said it was good and it honestly doesn't seem half bad. Goddess Briyella was a bit weary of this set, so I'll post this for us to have a discussion on it:

name: Physical Choice Scarf
move 1: Return
move 2: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
move 3: Bulldoze
move 4: Filler (Thunder Wave / Tri Attack / Toxic / w/e; not sure which filler would be the best but that's something we can talk about later)
evs: 204 Atk / 36 Def / 12 SpD / 228 Spe
nature: Adamant

Advantages:
  • Much stronger STAB moves in Return and Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Disadvantages:
  • Worse coverage
  • 1 less Attack
  • No HYPER BEAM (sadly Amaura does not get Giga Impact)

I realize that's 1 advantage vs 3 disadvantage, but the disadvantages are less relevant aside from worse coverage (but honestly most of the time with Scarf Amaura, you want to be using your strong Ice-type attack). imo, physical Amaura at least warrants a set, but of course not the first set.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
I personally haven't tried this set myself, but a few people have and said it was good and it honestly doesn't seem half bad. Goddess Briyella was a bit weary of this set, so I'll post this for us to have a discussion on it:

name: Physical Choice Scarf
move 1: Return
move 2: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
move 3: Bulldoze
move 4: Filler (Thunder Wave / Tri Attack / Toxic / w/e; not sure which filler would be the best but that's something we can talk about later)
evs: 204 Atk / 36 Def / 12 SpD / 228 Spe

Advantages:
  • Much stronger STAB moves in Return and Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Disadvantages:
  • Worse coverage
  • 1 less Attack
  • No HYPER BEAM (sadly Amaura does not get Giga Impact)

I realize that's 1 advantage vs 3 disadvantage, but the disadvantages are less relevant aside from worse coverage (but honestly most of the time with Scarf Amaura, you want to be using your strong Ice-type attack). imo, physical Amaura at least warrants a set, but of course not the first set.
I gave this a mention in Other Options, as I don't find it important enough to have an official set on the analysis, but we can have some of our other QC members add input as well. Thanks for the thought. ♥

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
honestly the analysis looks good. just the checks and counters, there are a lot more checks

meditite (and by that id assume every builky fighting type) can always take an ice move and just drain punch it back
other priority likle murkrow who you didnt mention. doesnt have to be super effective to deal a lot to amaura.
scarf gligar / chinchou. probably more but those are at least common enough.

oh also for teammates mention hazard removal of some kind. the flying killer set in particular is supposed to be soaking up hits and SR stops that from working by taking out 25% of your life always. shits a problem.

so do all of that and

QC 1/3

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
  • Pedantic: Nature Power is a STATUS move that is cast on the user, not a move that turns into an attacking move.
  • I think it should be Hyper Beam / Dark Pulse on the first set. Boltbeam coverage is non-negotiable as it is prized for obvious reasons, and Dark Pulse makes more sense as an alternative to people who don't like kamikaze style of play.
Good work! QC 2/3

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I really think Hidden Power Ground should be in the final slash of the CS set (if not, at least mentioned). Obviously it gets the OHKO on non-sturdy magnemite, and is the hardest hitting move vs. Pawniard.

on the subject of pawniard, maybe add HP fight to OO?

maybe just mention them in the set comments but don't slash them, they can be pretty useful.

I know you already ranted a lot about not overusing hyper beam, but also mention not to use it if they have set-up sweepers like shell smashers/scraggy in the team.

Last edited:
I...really don't like the second set. I don't think that's worth including at all really. I don't see the point of a bulky Eviolite set for the worst defensive typing ever before seen. Its only relevant resistance, really, is Flying, and I don't think its defensive set is worth anything but an OO mention.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
I...really don't like the second set. I don't think that's worth including at all really. I don't see the point of a bulky Eviolite set for the worst defensive typing ever before seen. Its only relevant resistance, really, is Flying, and I don't think its defensive set is worth anything but an OO mention.
Removed.

Last edited:
obligatory mention of taunt blocking nature power, means cottonee can wall you pretty well, as well as...well there's probably something else in the tier that runs taunt

Hi Briy ^.^ I've been playing w/ Amaura (and Aurorous) a lot recently, and I honestly feel that Rock Polish deserves a set. Also, Murkrow and Meditite mentions have to be removed (and Swirlix and Gligar, for that matter). Under Steel-types, you forget to mention one of the greatest one: Magnemite. I do think Sand Rush Drilbur and Sand Rush Sandshrew should be mentioned somewhere, possibly under 'Other Choice Scarf Users', as, while they cannot switch directly into Amaura, Amaura cannot live their STAB Ground-type attacks. Sand Rush easily enables them to outspeed Amaura, even Rock Polish variants. Now, about Rock Polish. Rock Polish is one of my favorite sets because it can run Bulldoze, here are some calcs supporting the Rock Polish set:
  • 208+ Atk Amaura Bulldoze vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Pawniard: 10-14 (47.6 - 66.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO (Amaura lives the Sucker Punch)
  • 0 SpA Amaura Hidden Power Fire vs. 94 HP / 148+ SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 12-16 (54.5 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 0 SpA Amaura Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 140 SpD Eviolite Honedge: 8-10 (38 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 208+ Atk Amaura Bulldoze vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Aron: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

These are just vs. the ones you mentioned under C&C, obviously Bronzor still walls ot to hell and back. But, the thing about Bulldoze on Amaura isn't just for coverage, but it is also great for its middling Speed, luring something in that's faster than it and then slowing it down in the process can be vital. This may seem odd with Rock Polish, but, thanks to the forced switches, it creates time to set up for itself. Now, about 'Team Options'. Trubbish is a pretty good partner, as it absorbs Fighting-type hits and can take on Steel-types (with Drain Punch), and it can set Spikes for Amaura, which greatly improves its damage output (note: not directly, but with the lowering of the opponent's health, it appears better). Trubbish, sadly, does stack a Ground-type weakness with Amaura, but none can really switch in to either. And, thanks to Aftermath (a nice bonus), an opponent may be at lowered health for Amaura to revenge kill easily. Finally, you should mentionH Hidden Power Fire somewhere. That's all Briy♥.

Rock Polish
########
name: Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: Return
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Bulldoze / Hidden Power Fire
item: Life Orb / Berry Juice
evs: 60 HP / 208 Atk / 228 Spe

(mention how Naughty must be used if Hidden Power Fire is used)

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
uhhh Rock Polish definitely does not deserve a set, at most it would deserve a mention in OO, which it already has. Too many Pokemon can live Amaura's attacks, such as Timburr or Mienfoo, and OHKO, or outright set up on it.

However, I think that Rowan's Berry Juice set should definitely be added into the OP.

Albino Dino (Amaura) (F) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Refrigerate
Level: 5
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 68 HP / 200 Def / 224 SpA / 16 SpD
Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Thunder Wave
- Ancient Power
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

I can easily say that this is the best set right now, and honestly I would like to see it before the Choice Scarf set. This set is more utility, paralyzing threats like Mienfoo that thing they can switch in, or Tirtouga, or Omanyte, while also providing a nice Fletchling switchin. I'm sure you have used this set before, and know the effectiveness of it, and Rowan can certainly explain more about the EVs and whatnot, seeing as he created the set.

Also when write up?

Good job on scarf set! IMO SubCalmMind should get more of a mention besides the small support move side-note because of it's ability to setup on the ever common fletch and deal good damage + amaura's p good bulk. -Luv Nay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)