Ambipom the thief - A Colorado 2012 Regional Warstory **Spelling fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday April 12th 2012
So for some context, me and my two travel buddies Luis and Alex had decided to take a Greyhound bus to regionals because it was only $150 round trip. Had we known that Luis was going to get a car AFTER we made this choice we could have saved some cash. I had to work until 3pm. I had everything packed from the day before so I was alright. I get home and do a double check of everything – A/C adapters, games, clothing and laptop.
So our bus leaves Salt Lake City at 8:45pm, so Luis and I arrive around 7pm to ensure we get on it. Alex on the other hand decided to show up 10 minutes prior. Lucky him we had the spot in line already saved for him. Fast forward 12 hours, 5 stops, 1 transfer, and 2 dead Nintendo DS’s later we arrive in Colorado Springs, CO.

Friday April 13th 2012
We get to the hotel and they tried charging us for the regular rate instead of the special event rate of $90 per night. We get that resolved, check into our room, and the other two take a nap. I couldn’t go to sleep because I had a lunch date with an old friend, Janessa. Janessa is a VERY talented player who has a knack for playing with UU Pokémon and winning. Things like Weezing and Jynx and such. Me, her, and her kid decide to go out for a spin in her mustang (that was fun as hell!) and went to lunch at Chili’s. We talk about Pokémon over lunch and how she hasn’t played in several years. Talking about this has given her the itch to start playing again next year. We talked about getting some Pokémon tattoos but nothing happened because I am a wuss. I get back from lunch to find the two sleepy heads awake and training some new Pokémon because they decided to make some last second changes. I had a nice stock of Pokémon to make a team out of but I had yet to decide what I was going to use myself. Luis borrowed my Tri-attack Togetic and Alex changed his Dragonite out for Staraptor. Both very good changes as it turns out. Evening comes quickly and the lobby fill up with players getting ready for the TCG. I meet up with my PTO’s kids and they ask me for the teams I promised them. We do some slight VG testing and then call it a night.

Saturday April 14th 2012
Morning comes and I head downstairs to the ballroom to play some TCG today. I am not planning to win anything, but I was just shooting for breaking even. And with me not owning any cards anymore I get a deck from my friend. Here is what I played:
· X4 Durrant
· X1 Rotom
· X1 Mewtwo EX
· X4 Metal (special)
· X6 Metal (basic)
· X1 Prisim energy
· X2 Double colorless energy
· 41 trainers like Twins, Hammers, and Level balls

Round 1 vs. Joey Lugo (CMT)
I have known Joey and his mom Patricia for about 6 years. After getting a single mulligan, I get a Mewtwo EX start. /wrist
I wanted to scoop right there, but I decided to play it out anyway. For 5 turns, I didn’t get a single supporter or energy. I eventually pull a DCE and catcher and I bring his benched Mewtwo up and draw 2 prizes. He revenge kills my mewtwo, I revive and drop another DCE. I WON A MEWTWO WAR WITH DURRANT!!! I eventually lost because I had a single Durrant prized and no way to get it and Joey had 16 cards left in his deck.
I am going to end my TCG report there because round 1 was the only thing talking about. I went 3-4 in TCG for the day.
After TCG goes to top cut, I am again put to work to get teams for about 7 more people to play VGC the next day. Lots of Politoed changed hands that night. They all play with their new teams to know how they work (Rain is pretty brain dead to play) and we call it a night.

Sunday April 15th
The day of reckoning. We head downstairs and I STILL haven’t settled on a team. After being yelled at by my PTO to hurry up, I settle on a tailwind team. Here it is:

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Prankster, Timid, 252 HP/252 Speed/6 Sp.Def
· Encore
· Taunt
· Tailwind
· Protect
My #1 Tailwind user. Its only job was to tailwind then disrupt. And after that I would switch it out for later use.

Zapdos @ Electric Gem
Pressure, Bold, 252 Defense/252 Sp.Atk/6 HP
· Thunderbolt
· Heat Wave
· Tailwind
· Detect
The backup tailwind user only this one can lay the damage down as well. Pretty standard Zapdos.

Ambipom @ Normal Gem
Technician, Jolly, 252 Attack/252 Speed/6 HP
· Fake out
· Covet
· Aerial Ace
· Protect
My #1 MVP for sure. Sure everybody knows it gets Fake out, but after that it is pretty unknown. Fake out + Technician + Normal Gem = Base 90+STAB+Auto Flinch. After the Fake out, Covet becomes the move of choice. Covet + Technician = Base 90+STAB+Item removal. Life orb, Sitrus berry…ANYTHING becomes mine. AA is just for ghosts/Fighting/Ludicolo.

Nidoking @ Life orb
Sheer force, Modest, 252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed/6 HP
· Ice Beam
· Earth Power
· Sludge Bomb
· Protect
This guy is seriously a force to be reckoned with. It drops anything that doesn’t resist it. At these live events something like Nidoking is pretty unknown because they are focusing on the major threats – Trick room/Rain/etc.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Sand Stream, Adamant, 252 Attack/252 Speed/6 Defense
· Crunch
· Dragon Claw
· Rock Slide
· Protect
Pretty simple use – to change weather. I don’t like rain. I don’t like hail. I don’t like sun. That and he hits like a truck. Pretty simple use.

Chandelure @ Fire Gem
Flash Fire, Modest, 252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed/6 Sp.Def
· Heat Wave
· Shadow Ball
· Psychic
· Protect

I never used him, but everybody would comment on it when they saw it. He was made to drop stuff, but never got the chance.

Now I go into the event hall and meet some people and start chatting. I see Jason & Alison and say hello and ask Alison if she is going to win. She says of course, and I wish them good luck today. I meet some other people from Utah that I have never met. They are apparently just a team of friends who play casually in Provo, Utah. I invite them to start coming to our events and they agree. It is always nice to increase our VG player base.

I trade some items last second to some buddies and then we sit down for the player meeting. I know what they are going to say, but I felt that the PTO’s rushed the player meeting thinking that everybody already know how these tournament are ran. Things like match slips and pairings were relatively unknown to about 90% of the players and the judges had little to no experience with VG events. Oh well, the game itself is pretty much self-policing.
So now we get onto round 1!

Round 1
Ulti (Ambipom, Whimsicott, Nidoking, Zapdos)
vs.
Roger Maldonndo (Ambipom, Arceops, Togekiss, Starmie)

This was a pretty easy matchup. Roger leads Ambi & Arceops, I lead Whim & Ambi. My Ambipom gets off the Fake out 1st on his Ambi and I start a tailwind with Whim. He tries a Rock Slide and it misses Ambi and next to nothing for Whimsicott. I covet his Ambi and take a focus sash – couldn’t have been better. I bring his Arceops to red and decide to leave it with its halved attack, which my Whimsicott to Nidoking and proceed to sweep.
Record: 1-0

Round 2
Ulti (Ambipom, Whimsicott, Nidoking, Tyranitar)
vs.
Sam Drake (Landorus, Lucario, Abomasnow, Froslass)

When we sit down he asks me if I know what IVs, EVs, and RNGing was. Because I know from experience that people will play safe against people who are new, I play dumb. I deny any knowledge and he tries explain it as “You use a Chattot to get shiny Pokémon whenever you want.” Yeah, more or less, that is correct but I applaud him for trying to explain this. Onto the battle!
I lead Ambi/Cott again, he leads Landorus and Lucario. He saw my Tyranitar and thought sandstorm was going to lead against his Abomasnow, but that didn’t happen that way because the Ambi/Cott combo was working for me. I fake out the Landorus and get the tailwind going. Knowing that the Lucario would wall the Ambipom, I switch Whimsicott to Nidoking and Covet the Landorus and steal a yache berry. Meh :-\. His Abomasnow eventually comes out followed by Tyranitar and I beat him 3-0.
Record: 2-0

Round 3
Ulti (Whimsicott, Ambipom, Nidoking, Zapdos)
vs.
Caleb Dimarco (Aggron, Uxie, Volcarona, Sawk)

This matchup made me angry. I will explain why later. I lead Ambi/Cott to fake out the Aggron to prevent a head smash and taunt the Uxie to prevent Calm Mind, but he does Extrasensory on Ambipom. After that I switch Ambipom to Nidoking as he double targets my Whimsicott and misses the hard smash. Tailwind is up and Nidoking drops Aggron. At this point his friend comes up and starts commenting on our match. I tell him to back off, he does, but continues to talk. I call a judge and nothing is done. Back to the battle, I didn’t realize his taunt wore off and he uses calm mind…and I encore it. He then goes to kill me with Uxie going 0-1. Oh, and I got a warning for swearing at my opponents friend for talking.
Record: 2-1

Round 4
Ulti (Ambipom, Whimsicott, Nidoking, Zapdos)
vs.
Stephen Acierno (Mienshao, Scizor, Garchomp, Rotom W)

I am still confidant with the Ambi/Cott combo and he leads Mienshao/Scizor. I fake out the Scizor and tailwind – and I get a Bullet punch to Whimsicott and rock slide doing next to nothing to the fluff ball. I switch Whimsicott to Nidoking and Ambipom then uses Aerial ace to drop the Mienshao, Garchomp comes in and Nidoking takes the bullet punch. Nidoking gets ANOTHER bullet punch, I then Covet the Garchomp taking a life orb (and taking damage from it *sigh*) and he goes to dragopn claw to drop my Ambipom and Zapdos comes out. Nidoking then drops the Garchomp with Ice Beam. Rotom W comes out, and I finish the game 2-0 pretty easily.
Record: 3-1

Round 5
Ulti (Ambipom, Whimsicott, Tyranitar, Zapdos)
vs.
Doug Sommers (Breloom, Omastar, Politoed, Toxicroak)

I met this guy earlier as a part of a group from Utah. It was awesome of FINALLY play someone from Utah. We were both excited because we have both been doing well and no matter what Utah would win this round. I go with my standard open of Ambi/Cott He opens Breloom/Omastar. I fake out the Breloom for the spore that is coming and tailwind with Whimsicott – totally forgetting that Omastar gets shell smash. I am now scared of this thing at this point. He witches Breloom to Politoed, I taunt the Omastar to prevent any more shell smashes (that works) and Covet the now Politoed and crit for the KO. Breloom comes back out. I switch Whimsicott to Tyranitar to drop the rain, and protect on Ambipom that stops spore and Omastar misses the hydro pump to Tyranitar. Ambipom uses Aerial Ace to drop Breloom and Ambipom goes down to a hydro pump. I don’t remember much after this but it went downhill for me as it ended up with his Omastar with 6hp and my Tyranitar falling 0-1.
Record: 3-2

LUNCH TIME!!!
Me and some buddies talk about their day, some dropped at this point, and I had a hot dog/chips/drink for $3.75.

Round 6
Ulti (Ambipom, Whimsicott, Nidoking, Chandelure)
vs.
Ryan Black (Porygon-Z, Camerupt, Scizor, Machamp)

Before we even select our Pokémon we are already talking to each other about the others strategy. He knew I was running tailwind and I knew he was running trick room. Throughout the entire game neither got used :-P I 4-0 the guy but it was fun to try and out predict each other before we even started.
Record: 4-2

Round 7
Ulti (Ambipom, Whimiscott, Nidoking, Zapdos)
vs.
John Killaly (Whimsicott, Heatran, Dragonite, Terrakion)

I knew if I won this round I would be in top 8 because I was playing up and I had an amazing resistance for the day. If you have facebook you can watch this match here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3731857901044
For those of you who can’t watch it – I go to Ice beam his Dragonite with Nidoking, and misclick to hit my own Whimsicott. I was still able to bring it to 0-1. I will get a youtube video late for all to see how I missed out on top 8.
Record: 4-3 (29th place)

All in all I had nobody to blame but myself for my performance in the last round. It was awesome to see my friend Alex get 8th place and we are going to get him to nationals somehow, and also to see Alison get 1st like she said she would.
After the tournament I was asked to join the staff meeting to give my opinions on the tournament operation since I run the tournament scene here in Utah. I told them about the player meeting issues and the judge issues. Because there is no way to stop a battle for an issue, the judges need to be more prompt on the rulings and issues. Other than that I am finished this report and thanks for reading.

PROPS:
Alex getting 8th
Alison getting 1st
Jason getting 4th
Daniel Sargent getting 1st in both TCG & VGC
Ambipom being the best lead ever!
The TCG staff for doing their best running a VGC
Having plenty of friends with me on this trip. I had such a great time hanging out with them.
Simba for being the ONLY judge who did proper work
Andrea Sargent for keeping my temper in control (she is like a mom to me)
Doug and the other people I met from Utah. It is going to be awesome seeing you playing in our events
Having some awesome battles with awesome people even late at night

SLOPS:
My MAJOR misclick
My 3rd round issue with a person talking
The staff all around having issues getting things running
24 hours on a bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)