Amoonguss (Analysis)

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
QC: 3/3 (PK, Bloo, Iconic) GP: 2/2 (Chou, jc104)

Amoonguss

--------

[Overview]

<p>Amoonguss's good HP, average defenses, and Grass/Poison typing are not cause for its unique appeal. Rather, it is access to the highly exclusive move Spore. Amoonguss's defenses are average, slightly greater than Venusaur's on both sides. This is not amazing, but quite impressive for a mushroom with two Poké Balls for hands. Not everything is fine and dandy, however, as Amoonguss does have quite a few flaws. Mediocre offenses, an incredibly shallow movepool, and a lack of common Grass-type support moves let it down a bit. Despite all of these shortcomings, Amoonguss's decent overall bulk and access to Spore make it an effective utility Pokemon and general glue for many teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Double Status
move 1: Spore
move 2: Stun Spore
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
nature: Calm
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Many Grass-types utilize the infamous Double Powder strategy, and for good reason. The sleep status is very powerful on its own, as in one turn it can potentially incapacitate an opponent for an entire match. Not only that, but the mere threat of Spore forces switches, offering Amoonguss ample opportunity to spread incapacitating paralysis with Stun Spore. To supplement these status moves, Amoonguss uses Giga Drain, which has been beefed up this generation, to 75 base power from a mere 60. Since Amoonguss does not have reliable recovery, it is the primary STAB option. Hidden Power Ice rounds off the set, increasing Amoonguss's coverage, hitting Landorus, Gliscor, Dragonite, and Thundurus for super effective damage.</p>

<p>The EV spread gives good overall defenses, with a bias towards Special Defense, so that Amoonguss can better take on special attackers like Starmie and Thundurus.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Entry hazards are incredibly useful when using Amoonguss. Spikes and Stealth Rock are the entry hazards to use, as Spore and Stun Spore are incompatible with Toxic Spikes. Unfortunately, the majority of Spikes users share a Fire-type weakness with Amoonguss. Common Pokemon such as Heatran help patch up this weakness if you choose to run a Pokemon such as Forretress to set up Spikes.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Amoonguss does not have many other notable options, as its movepool is incredibly shallow. Protect could work its way onto the first, however the lack of residual damage moves like Toxic and Leech seed diminishes its value. Venoshock is a unique move that receives a doubled strength of 130 base power when the enemy is poisoned, though it is inferior to Giga Drain as a STAB option due to Giga Drain's healing effect and superior offensive coverage. It also works better with sleep and paralysis as your main status options. Clear Smog is another exclusive move that has good utility. It removes stat changes, which can be useful against Pokemon attempting to set up against Amoonguss.<p>

<p>There are a few other Hidden Powers that Amoonguss can run, such as Hidden Power Fire, which can hit Ferrothorn and Forretress for massive damage. Most of these are afterthoughts, however, as even when super effective they will not OHKO anything without sufficient SpA investment, and status moves are generally more worthwhile if a switch to one of these Pokemon is predicted. Payback can work well with Amoonguss's very low Speed to hit Ghost-type Pokemon for super effective damage, but the lack of a physical Grass-type attack—or even Poison-type attack—to go alongside Payback is disappointing. Lastly, Synthesis is a method of healing, but is inconsistent due to the many different weather effects in the metagame.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Espeon and Xatu reflect Spore and Stun Spore back at Amoonguss with Magic Mirror, and threaten Amoonguss with super effective Psychic-type attacks, making them excellent counters. Toxic Orb Gliscor can switch with impunity into status moves after its Toxic Orb is activated, and can foil Amoonguss's attempts to do anything with Taunt. Most users of Taunt can make Amoonguss useless, provided they can safely switch in. Fast substitute users, especially those which resist Amoonguss's attacks, such as Gengar, can give Amoonguss trouble, as they are immune to status moves if they manage to get a Substitute up. Guts Conkeldurr can take advantage of Stun Spore by giving it a 50% increase to Attack, and proceed to use Bulk Up, and heal itself with Drain Punch along the way. Even though Amoonguss resists Drain Punch, Conkeldurr will heal enough from Amoonguss's high HP to continue its sweep.</p>

<p>The main key to countering Amoonguss is getting into battle safe from status, because otherwise Amoonguss has already done its job by crippling opposing Pokemon. Many powerful offensive Pokemon will have no problems beating Amoonguss once they have side-stepped its status moves. Once they've safely switched in, Blaziken and Heatran, for example, can scare Amoonguss away by threatening to KO with powerful Fire-type attacks. Many Pokemon pack super effective moves against Amoonguss, but it is a matter of getting into battle without being crippled by a status move.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Amoonguss's Dream World ability is amazing. Regenerator allows it to recover 1/3 of its HP whenever it switches out of battle. This is very beneficial, and helps offset Amoonguss's lack of useful instant healing moves.</p>

You might want to mention Sigilyph as a counter, as it completely shuts Moongy down. Same thing with Breloom and Gliscor, and everything else that benefits/is immune from status.

Theres only so much that this thing to do. Its a great partner to a set up partner for a lot of stuff. I personally used it with Landorus, as they provided decent help/coverage with each other.

[SET]
name: Double Powder
move 3: Giga Drain / Grass Knot
move 4: Clear Smog
evs: 252 Def / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Check yo'self.

-Zane

P.S. Oh. And change the Japanese names to English.

Emboar is barely OU material. I'd use a more clear-cut and common example, like Ferrothorn or Reuniclus, both of which can set up on Amoonguss if Spore has already been used.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is still in progress. Btw, I dont think the Toxic Stall set is very useful, but i dont want to get rid of it before i get some opinions.
Thoughts?

I just got this analysis, and I'm basing it off the old thread. Gimme some time before you jump on my back >_<
i sry. :c

It looks pretty elaborate for brand new! But I guess I forgot that you had some help from the previous reserver.

-Zane

Moo

Professor
i sry. :c

It looks pretty elaborate for brand new! But I guess I forgot that you had some help from the previous reserver.

-Zane
Actually I was talking about the other posts, yours was pretty helpful, thanks for pointing that out.

For the double status, an amazing item to have is Red Card. If the opponent attack you, they are forced to switch out, which works well as if you Para them frst, the might switch or they might attack and in both cases you will manage to spore the switch in. Hope it helps :)

Moo

Professor
Eh.....
I think that would work against predictions. It'd be better for a more solid wall such as Blissey or Skarmory imo.

Not sold on the effectiveness of this guy in the standard enviroment. Those average stats (barring Hp) are a disappointment. However, Spore and Regenerator are some good pluses for it.

Reuniclus is a pretty solid counter, especially once the Spore is blown. It doesn't care about being paralyzed much, it certainly doesn't care about being Toxicked, and TR Rein can set up on both movesets and CM Rein can set up on the Toxistaller.

Moo

Professor
Your point being?....

Alakamzam is also a counter when Spore is gone, I think it goes without saying that something with a powerful super effective can do that when amoonguss can't use spore against it.

Your point being?....

Alakamzam is also a counter when Spore is gone, I think it goes without saying that something with a powerful super effective can do that when amoonguss can't use spore against it.
The list of Pokemon that can force Amoonguss out is long, sure, but most of those Pokemon don't much like being paralyzed or poisoned and Amoonguss wasn't going to sweep anyway. The list of Pokemon that can come in on Amoonguss completely safely is short, and the list of Pokemon that can set up in Amoonguss's face is shorter. Reuniclus is one of them, as it's completely safe from Amoonguss once Reuniclus has some other, harmless status or once Spore has been used.

I's important to mention the major OU threats that ignore or benefit from status, when Amoonguss is basically a dual-powder-bot. It'd be silly to omit Reuniclus from such a list.

Moo

Professor
Well, as I said, I'm thinking of getting rid of the Toxic Set, so it's pretty much just "Renuclius doesn't mind being paralysed and can OHKO Amoonguss"

There is a very long list of Pokemon that can threaten Amoonguss, but it goes without saying. Amoonguss' job is to come in on things that it does wall, and start statusing stuff, so generally anything that packs super effective moves is a no-go for it.

But I'm starting to see your point and I will explain that in the counters section, (There is already a paragraph along the lines of that so I will add on to it.)

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Remove Grass Knot from the Double Powder set and shift it down to Additional Comments. Amoonguss absolutely needs Giga Drain, as it's his only form of recovery. Grass Knot is also relatively weak on this mushroom 'mon, so it's significantly inferior in this case.

Replace Clear Smog with Hidden Power Ice. Hidden Power Ice is actually pretty handy on Amoonguss, since it allows him to do well versus several prominent threats. Let's take a closer look:
  • HP Ice vs Landlos: 66.3% - 78.8%
  • HP Ice vs Gliscor: 63.3% - 75.7%
  • HP Ice vs Garchomp: 57% - 67%
  • HP Ice vs Thundurus: 35.3% - 42%
Not too shabby if you ask me! using Clear Smog to eliminate stat boosts is cool and all, but HP Ice, imo, helps Amoonguss deal with more threats, making it the better option.

Lastly, I'd say remove the Toxic Staller. 1) It's walled by a multitude of Steel-types, such as Scizor, Skarmory, and Jirachi and 2) You're better off sleeping your opponent with Spore than you are using Toxic against them.

I'll approve this once the above changes have been implemented.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey there!

I don't have much else to add, but I noticed a flaw in your analysis
Grass Knot is an option over Giga Drain, hitting many OU Pokémon for greater damage. Giga Drain is usually the preferred option, as it gives Amoonguss a method of HP recovery.. If you are using Grass Knot, an EV spread of 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD with a Calm nature is advised, which still allows you to always survive +1 Suicune's Ice Beam, but also gives you a bit more physical bulk from the added HP.
Offensive Suicune is definitely relevant in the current metagame, so mentioning him in the Amoongus analysis doesn't sit right with me. Instead, replace his mention with Thundurus. Amoongus is actually capable of checking Thundurus (who is arguably the strongest pokemon in the metagame) The current EV spread needs to be changed (those defense EVs don't do anything) while maximum special defense lets you take heavier special hits. Amoongus can even survive a +2 Hidden Power Ice (it deals 74.1% - 87.5%)

I'd also like to see Synthesis mentioned in OO. Its crippled by sand and rain, but at least its a form of healing. Consider it approved after you comply with our demands.

QC APPROVED (1/3)

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Thanks for making the changes; though, I think you overlooked this:

Remove Grass Knot from the Double Powder set and shift it down to Additional Comments. Amoonguss absolutely needs Giga Drain, as it's his only form of recovery. Grass Knot is also relatively weak on this mushroom 'mon, so it's significantly inferior in this case.
QC APPROVED 2/3

Doing a short and sweet one, mostly hitting some grammar stuff and some forgotten localization issues. I did some fiddling to avoid some American/British pluralizing disagreements, dunno how Smogon deals with that stuff.

Apologies for the deep rewrite of the Double Powder para.

Additions
Omissions

[Overview]

<p>Amoonguss's good HP, average defenses, and Grass/Poison typing isare not the reasoncause for this Pokémon's unique appeal, but. Rrather, its appeal is its access to the highly exclusive move, Spore. Although Amoonguss's defenses are average, it is slightly more bulkyier thenthan Venusaur in both Defense and Special Defense., which This is not amazing, but quite impressive for a mushroom with two Pokéballs for its hands.</p>

<p>Not everything is all fine and dandy, however, as Amoonguss does have quite a few flaws. Mediocre offenses, an incredibly shallow movepool, and lack of common Grass-type supporting moves let it down a bit. Despite all of these shortcomings, Amoonguss's decent overall bulk and access to Spore make it an effective utility Pokémon and general glue to many teams.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The infamous Double Powder strategy is one that many Grass types utilizeMany Grass-types utilize the infamous Double Powder strategy, and for good reason. The ability to incapacitate an opponent in one turn for possibly the whole match with the Sleep status is highly annoying as it is. Pair this with the common switching out effect that Sleep moves trigger, you now have an excellent opportunity to incapacitate another Pokémon with Stun Spore.The sleep status is highly powerful on its own, as in one turn it can incapacitate an opponent for as long as an entire match. Not only that, but the mere threat of Spore forces switches, offering Amoonguss ample opportunity to spread incapacitating paralysis with Stun Spore. To supplement these status moves, Amoonguss uses Giga Drain, which has been beefed up this generation, now havingto 75 base power instead offrom a mere 60. Since Amoonguss does not have reliable recovery, it is the primary STAB option. Hidden Power Ice rounds off the set, increasing Amoonguss's coverage, hitting Landlos, Gliscor, Garchomp, and Thundurus for super effective damage.</p>

<p>The EVs are straightforward: Amoonguss's HP stat is maximised, making it bulky on both defensive sides. EVs are then invested into its Special Defense stat to allow Amoonguss to take special attacks from special attackers such as Starmie and Thundurus. The remaining EVs are then invested into its Defense, allowing it to take physical hits a little better.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Entry hazards are incredibly useful when using Amoonguss. Spikes and Stealth Rock are the best entry hazards to use, as Spore and Stun Spore cancel the effect of Toxic Spikes and vice versa. Unfortuneately, the majority of Spikes users share a Fire-type weakness with Amoonguss. Common Pokemon such as Heatran help patch up this weakness if you choose to run a Pokémon such as Forretress to set up Spikes.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Amoonguss does not have many other notable options, as its movepool is incredibly shallow. Protect could work its way onto the first, however the lack of end of turn draining moves such as Toxic make it a lesser option. Venoshock is a pretty unique move in that when your target Pokémon is poisoned, it doubles in strength to a 130 base power move. It is hard to work it into a set, however, as Giga Drain is much more useful for better STAB and healing, and Venoshock in general is not a very reliable move. Clear Smog is another exclusive move that has good utility. It removes stat changes, which can be useful against Pokemon attempting to set up against Amoonguss.<p>

<p>There are a few other Hidden Powers that Amoonguss can run, such as Hidden Power Fire, which can hit Ferroseed and Forretress for massive damage. Most of these are afterthoughts, however, as even when super effective they will not OHKO anything without sufficient SpA investment, and status moves are generally more worthwhile to use if a switch to one of these Pokémon is predicted. Payback can work well with MorobareruAmoonguss's very low Speed to hit Ghost-type Pokemon for super effective damage, but lack of a physical Grass-type attackor even Poison-type attackfor that matter to go alongside Payback is disappointing. Lastly, Synthesis is a method of healing, but is inconsistent due to the many different weathers in the Mmetagame.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Espeon and Xatu reflect Spore and Stun Spore back at Morobareru with Magic Mirror, and threaten MorobareruAmoonguss with super effective Psychic-type attacks, making them excellent counters. Toxic Orb Gliscor can switch in with imunity toimpunity into status moves after its Toxic Orb is activated, and can foil Amoonguss's attempts to do anything with Taunt. Most users of Taunt can make Amoonguss useless, provided they can safely switch in. Fast substitute users, especially Gengar who resists its attacks, can give Amoonguss trouble, as they are immune to status moves if they manage to get a Substitute up; doubly so in the case of Pokémon like Gengar, who resist Amoonguss's attacks. Roobushin with GutsGuts Conkeldurr can take advantage of Stun Spore by giving it a +1 boost to Attack50% increase to Attack, and proceed to use Bulk Up, and heal itself with Drain Punch along the way. Even though Amoonguss resists Drain Punch, its large HP stat and low defense will allow RoobushinConkeldurr will to heal enough HP from MorobareruAmoonguss's high HP but poor physical defense to allow its sweep to continue.</p>

<p>If you haven't noticed by now, tThe main key to countering Amoonguss is getting into battle safe from status, because otherwise Amoonguss has already done its job by crippling opposing Pokemon. Once a counter has switched in in safely, it can easily scare Amoonguss away or OHKO it. Once they've safely switched in, Blaziken, and Heatran, for example, can scare Amoonguss away by threatening to KO with powerful Fire-type attacks. Many Pokemon pack super effective moves against Amoonguss, but it is a matter of getting into battle without being crippled by a status move.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Amoonguss's Dream World ability is simply put, amazing. Regeneration allows it to recover 1/3 of its HP whenever it switches out of battle., which is really beneficial considering Amoonguss does not have any good instant healing moves.This is greatly beneficial, and helps offset Amoonguss's lack of useful instant healing moves.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Amoonguss's good HP, average defenses, and Grass/Poison typing are not cause for this Pokémon's unique appeal. Rather, its appeal is its access to the highly exclusive move Spore. Amoonguss's defenses are average, slightly bulkier than Venusaur in both Defense and Special Defense. This is not amazing, but quite impressive for a mushroom with two Pokéballs for its hands.</p>

<p>Not everything is all fine and dandy, however, as Amoonguss does have quite a few flaws. Mediocre offenses, an incredibly shallow movepool, and lack of common Grass-type support moves let it down a bit. Despite all of these shortcomings, Amoonguss's decent overall bulk and access to Spore make it an effective utility Pokémon and general glue to many teams.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Many Grass-types utilize the infamous Double Powder strategy, and for good reason. The sleep status is highly powerful on its own, as in one turn it can incapacitate an opponent for as long as an entire match. Not only that, but the mere threat of Spore forces switches, offering Amoonguss ample opportunity to spread incapacitating paralysis with Stun Spore. To supplement these status moves, Amoonguss uses Giga Drain, which has been beefed up this generation, to 75 base power from a mere 60. Since Amoonguss does not have reliable recovery, it is the primary STAB option. Hidden Power Ice rounds off the set, increasing Amoonguss's coverage, hitting Landlos, Gliscor, Garchomp, and Thundurus for super effective damage.</p>

<p>The EVs are straightforward: Amoonguss's HP stat is maximised, making it bulky on both defensive sides. EVs are then invested into its Special Defense stat to allow Amoonguss to take attacks from special attackers such as Starmie and Thundurus. The remaining EVs are then invested into its Defense, allowing it to take physical hits a little better.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Entry hazards are incredibly useful when using Amoonguss. Spikes and Stealth Rock are the best entry hazards to use, as Spore and Stun Spore cancel the effect of Toxic Spikes and vice versa. Unfortunately, the majority of Spikes users share a Fire-type weakness with Amoonguss. Common Pokemon such as Heatran help patch up this weakness if you choose to run a Pokémon such as Forretress to set up Spikes.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Amoonguss does not have many other notable options, as its movepool is incredibly shallow. Protect could work its way onto the first, however the lack of end of turn draining moves such as Toxic make it a lesser option. Venoshock is a unique move in that when your target Pokémon is poisoned, it doubles in strength to a 130 base power move. It is hard to work it into a set, however, as Giga Drain is much more useful for better STAB and healing, and Venoshock in general is not a very reliable move. Clear Smog is another exclusive move that has good utility. It removes stat changes, which can be useful against Pokemon attempting to set up against Amoonguss.<p>

<p>There are a few other Hidden Powers that Amoonguss can run, such as Hidden Power Fire, which can hit Ferroseed and Forretress for massive damage. Most of these are afterthoughts, however, as even when super effective they will not OHKO anything without sufficient SpA investment, and status moves are generally more worthwhile to use if a switch to one of these Pokémon is predicted. Payback can work well with Amoonguss's very low Speed to hit Ghost-type Pokemon for super effective damage, but lack of a physical Grass-type attack—or even Poison-type attack—for that matter to go alongside Payback is disappointing. Lastly, Synthesis is a method of healing, but is inconsistent due to the many different weathers in the metagame.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Espeon and Xatu reflect Spore and Stun Spore back at Morobareru with Magic Mirror, and threaten Amoonguss with super effective Psychic-type attacks, making them excellent counters. Toxic Orb Gliscor can switch in with impunity into status moves after its Toxic Orb is activated, and can foil Amoonguss's attempts to do anything with Taunt. Most users of Taunt can make Amoonguss useless, provided they can safely switch in. Fast substitute users, especially Gengar who resists its attacks,[/color] can give Amoonguss trouble, as they are immune to status moves if they manage to get a Substitute up; doubly so in the case of Pokémon like Gengar, who resist Amoonguss's attacks. Guts Conkeldurr can take advantage of Stun Spore by giving it a 50% increase to Attack, and proceed to use Bulk Up, and heal itself with Drain Punch along the way. Even though Amoonguss resists Drain Punch, Conkeldurr will heal enough HP from Amoonguss's high HP but poor physical defense to allow its sweep to continue.</p>

<p>The main key to countering Amoonguss is getting into battle safe from status, because otherwise Amoonguss has already done its job by crippling opposing Pokemon. Once a counter has switched in in safely, it can easily scare Amoonguss away or OHKO it. Once they've safely switched in, Blaziken and Heatran, for example, can scare Amoonguss away by threatening to KO with powerful Fire-type attacks. Many Pokemon pack super effective moves against Amoonguss, but it is a matter of getting into battle without being crippled by a status move.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Amoonguss's Dream World ability is amazing. Regeneration allows it to recover 1/3 of its HP whenever it switches out of battle.This is greatly beneficial, and helps offset Amoonguss's lack of useful instant healing moves.</p>

May want to mention that Regeneration will be standard if/when it's released and that Sigilyph and Breloom also run Flame/Toxic Orb so they can switch in and set up ugliness just like Gliscor can.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On top of the clean version:

Change/Add
delete

[Overview]

<p>Amoonguss's good HP, average defenses, and Grass/Poison typing are not cause for this Pokémon's unique appeal. Rather, its appeal is its access to the highly exclusive move Spore. Amoonguss's defenses are average, slightly bulkier than Venusaur in both Defense and Special Defense. This is not amazing, but quite impressive for a mushroom with two Pokéballs for its hands.</p>

<p>Not everything is all fine and dandy, however, as Amoonguss does have quite a few flaws. Mediocre offenses, an incredibly shallow movepool, and lack of common Grass-type support moves let it down a bit. Despite all of these shortcomings, Amoonguss's decent overall bulk and access to Spore make it an effective utility Pokémon and general glue to for many teams.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Many Grass-types utilize the infamous Double Powder strategy, and for good reason. The sleep status is highly very powerful on its own, as in one turn it can potentially incapacitate an opponent for as long as an entire match. Not only that, but the mere threat of Spore forces switches, offering Amoonguss ample opportunity to spread incapacitating paralysis with Stun Spore. To supplement these status moves, Amoonguss uses Giga Drain, which has been beefed up this generation, to 75 base power from a mere 60. Since Amoonguss does not have reliable recovery, it is the primary STAB option. Hidden Power Ice rounds off the set, increasing Amoonguss's coverage, hitting Landlos, Gliscor, Garchomp, and Thundurus for super effective damage.</p>

<p>The EVs are straightforward: Amoonguss's HP stat is maximised, making it bulky on both defensive sides. EVs are then invested into its Special Defense stat to allow Amoonguss to take attacks from special attackers such as Starmie and Thundurus. The remaining EVs are then invested into its Defense, allowing it to take physical hits a little better.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Entry hazards are incredibly useful when using Amoonguss. Spikes and Stealth Rock are the best entry hazards to use, as Spore and Stun Spore cancel the effect of Toxic Spikes and vice versa are incompatible with Toxic Spikes. Unfortunately, the majority of Spikes users share a Fire-type weakness with Amoonguss. Common Pokemon such as Heatran help patch up this weakness if you choose to run a Pokémon such as Forretress to set up Spikes.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Amoonguss does not have many other notable options, as its movepool is incredibly shallow. Protect could work its way onto the first, however the lack of end of turn draining moves such as Toxic make it a lesser option casual damaging moves like Toxic or Leech seed diminishes its value. Venoshock is a unique move in that when your target Pokémon is poisoned, it doubles in strength to a 130 base power move. It is hard to work it into a set, that receives a doubled strength of 130 base power when the enemy is poisoned, though it is inferior to Giga Drain as a STAB option due to Giga Drain's healing and superior offensive coverage. It also works better with sleep and paralysis as your main status options. however, as Giga Drain is much more useful for better STAB and healing, and Venoshock in general is not a very reliable move Clear Smog is another exclusive move that has good utility. It removes stat changes, which can be useful against Pokemon attempting to set up against Amoonguss.<p>

<p>There are a few other Hidden Powers that Amoonguss can run, such as Hidden Power Fire, which can hit Ferroseed and Forretress for massive damage. Most of these are afterthoughts, however, as even when super effective they will not OHKO anything without sufficient SpA investment, and status moves are generally more worthwhile to use if a switch to one of these Pokémon is predicted. Payback can work well with Amoonguss's very low Speed to hit Ghost-type Pokemon for super effective damage, but lack of a physical Grass-type attack—or even Poison-type attack—for that matter to go alongside Payback is disappointing. Lastly, Synthesis is a method of healing, but is inconsistent due to the many different weathers in the metagame.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Espeon and Xatu reflect Spore and Stun Spore back at Amoonguss with Magic Mirror, and threaten Amoonguss with super effective Psychic-type attacks, making them excellent counters. Toxic Orb Gliscor can switch in with impunity into status moves after its Toxic Orb is activated, and can foil Amoonguss's attempts to do anything with Taunt. Most users of Taunt can make Amoonguss useless, provided they can safely switch in. Fast substitute users, especially Gengar, which resists Amoonguss's attacks, can give Amoonguss trouble, as they are immune to status moves if they manage to get a Substitute up. doubly so in the case of Pokémon like Gengar, who resist Amoonguss's attacks When the substitute user resists Grass-type attacks, the situation is even more problematic. Guts Conkeldurr can take advantage of Stun Spore by giving it a 50% increase to Attack, and proceed to use Bulk Up, and heal itself with Drain Punch along the way. Even though Amoonguss resists Drain Punch, Conkeldurr will heal enough HP from Amoonguss's high HP but poor physical defense to allow its sweep to continue.</p>

<p>The main key to countering Amoonguss is getting into battle safe from status, because otherwise Amoonguss has already done its job by crippling opposing Pokemon. Once a counter has switched in in safely, it can easily scare Amoonguss away or OHKO it Many powerful offensive Pokemon will have no problems beating Amoonguss once they have side-stepped its status moves. Once they've safely switched in, Blaziken and Heatran, for example, can scare Amoonguss away by threatening to KO with powerful Fire-type attacks. Many Pokemon pack super effective moves against Amoonguss, but it is a matter of getting into battle without being crippled by a status move.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Amoonguss's Dream World ability is amazing. Regeneration allows it to recover 1/3 of its HP whenever it switches out of battle.This is greatly very beneficial, and helps offset Amoonguss's lack of useful instant healing moves.</p>

There's nothing wrong with the word "very." In standardized analysis, plain = good

GP 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)