Amoonguss: Just Amoonguss

Amoonguss seems really cool.

How will the mushroom stand it's ground against new forms of Pokemon tho? Like thundurus and tornados?

I'd say it's a bit presumptuous to assume that Keldeo will always be running Hidden Power Ghost/Dark, which this discussion has so far rested upon. There is little doubt that it will be the type of choice most of the time, but then again, Keldeo was badly trolled by not getting Ice Beam and I think that many variants will opt for Hidden Power Ice. If they do, then Amoonguss is no longer sitting comfortably, ready to put something to sleep. He will be destroyed by it, particularly if a Calm Mind boost is up. I'm interested to see how this fact affects the thinking here.

HP Ice is not necessary if you are running Keldeo in the rain, since Hydro Pump will kill dragons or several wound them at the least. I don't think +1 HP Ice has the power to KO 252/252+ Amoonguss, which exposes Keldeo to getting Spored.

HP Ice is not necessary if you are running Keldeo in the rain, since Hydro Pump will kill dragons or several wound them at the least. I don't think +1 HP Ice has the power to KO 252/252+ Amoonguss, which exposes Keldeo to getting Spored.
It only needs to be 2hkoed for Amooonguss to be turned from great check into subpar check.

True, but that's assuming Specs. Otherwise Amoonguss can come in on the Calm Mind, Spore, and switch out to heal back a solid 33%. Hell, thanks to Regenerator it can at least scout whether or not Keldeo is specs or calm mind based on the damage, then act appropriately.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It only needs to be 2hkoed for Amooonguss to be turned from great check into subpar check.
Not really... HP Ice does around 50% to specially defensive Amoonguss, which means that if you have any other poke in your team that can wall a HP Ice you have effectively countered Keldeo lol, with your Amoonguss losing around 23% of it's health after Regenerator.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
pumped for this
SD (or Guts) Heracross
Chandelure (even without sun I believe)
Tornados (Hurricane hurts)
Banded Haxorus (I believe)
Volcarona...
SD scizor

The great thing is that Heatran walls all of these (except Heracross but nothing walls Heracross) and Heatran also completes the FWG core

And some of these Amoonguss can put to sleep after taking a hit.

EDIT: I generally believe that sun teams (between grass attaks and fire attacks)trouble this core, which makes Heatran a great choice again.

Another interesting thing is that the core counters each weather very well. Slowbro for sand, amoonguss for rain, Heatran for sun. (screw hail)
Yeah Heatran is an awesome addition to this core. Walls a good portion of the mons you mentioned, sets up Rocks, and abuses the shit out of Roar. Protect also lets you scout choice users and gain extra lefties recovery/survivability, and beats sun as you mentioned while also troubling hail.

amoongus for ou :toast:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
pumped for this

Yeah Heatran is an awesome addition to this core. Walls a good portion of the mons you mentioned, sets up Rocks, and abuses the shit out of Rora. Protect also lets you scout choice users and gain extra lefties recovery/survivability, and beats sun as you mentioned while also troubling hail.

amoongus for ou :toast:
Volcarona will put an end to this mockery with the new Earth Power tutor and will break even Ubers!!!!!! :D

I updated the OP with more calcs against the Genies :D

Ohmygosh, this thing can live a LO hurricane from a tornadus....wtf

Where is Regenerator Alomomola when we need it?
To be honest, i think slowbro outclasses almost completely in OU. Sure Alomomola might have access to Wish and sport a higher physical defensive stat, but slowbro's psychic typing coupled with 100 sp. attack vs alomomola's shitty 45 (i think) makes slowbro much better

I had forgotten how absurdly powerful Hydro Pump will be in the rain, so yeah, Hidden Power Ice isn't looking very likely. It appears that Keldeo will just have to settle for Amoonguss being a thorn in its side, unless one were to run Swords Dance + Aerial Ace. No one would of course, but that appears to be the only way Amoonguss could theoretically be dispatched in one fell swoop.

Anyway, there is one tool in Keldeo's arsenal that DOES screw with Amoonguss substantially: Taunt. I can definitely see myself running that move in place of Calm Mind. If I can stop the mushroom from putting me to sleep, it is suddenly less threatening.

I updated the OP with more calcs against the Genies :D

Ohmygosh, this thing can live a LO hurricane from a tornadus....wtf
You calculated Landorus-T's Sand Force Earthquake against Amoonguss, but Landorus-T only gets Intimidate as its ability.

Alomomola: 165 / 75 / 80 / 40 / 45 / 65
Slowbro: 95 / 75 / 110 / 100 / 80 / 30

Obviously Almomola has more defense, but its attack is terrible and forced to use waterfall and toxic as its only offensive moves, compared to slowbros flamethrower, ice beam, scald, and psychic and a great fighting resist.

You calculated Landorus-T's Sand Force Earthquake against Amoonguss, but Landorus-T only gets Intimidate as its ability.
Oh. pshhh, my bad. Now it hits a lot weaker tho :D all changed.

Alomomola: 165 / 75 / 80 / 40 / 45 / 65
Slowbro: 95 / 75 / 110 / 100 / 80 / 30

Obviously Almomola has more defense, but its attack is terrible and forced to use waterfall and toxic as its only offensive moves, compared to slowbros flamethrower, ice beam, scald, and psychic and a great fighting resist.
And honestly, not that much more physical bulk, anyways.

252 Atk Choice Band Haxorus (+Atk) Outrage vs 252 HP/252 Def Slowbro (+Def) : 60.41% - 71.57%
2 hits to KO (with Leftovers)
252 Atk Choice Band Haxorus (+Atk) Outrage vs 252 HP/252 Def Alomomola (+Def) : 55.06% - 64.79%
2 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

sorry about the double post but I updated the OP with the newest Move tutor Moves,

and good news, amoonguss can use seed bomb and foul play now. foul play looks interesting to counter physical attackers.

Keldeo doesn't need HP Ice, because it actually gets Icy Wind from the tutors if I'm not mistaken. So Keldeo can afford to now run HP Dark while still having coverage against Grass and Dragon Types.

Anyways, it looks like I'll be using Amoonguss on my team if this is the case. I would also expect Slowbro to rise in usage as when combined with Amoonguss, it flat out walls everything.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really don't see how amoonguss is a full stop to keldeo. The only thing is that it resists it's stabs and has spore. The keldeo can easily switch out and sack something else to sleep and then amoonguss has nothing for keldeo anymore. Also keldeo has access to both substitute and taunt which completely nullify spore altogether.

I'll admit that amoonguss wins 1v1 against the total lo sweeper though.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
28 SpA EVs guarantees that Giga Drain breaks the Substitute of even a +2 Keldeo. Might be worth a shot, since Clear Smog doesn't work if the opponent is behind a Substitute. 0 SpA still breaks the Sub just under 80% of the time, but that means you very well lose the game 20% of the time hehe.

It does counter Keldeo quite nicely, tho Kelodeo is so frail. Plenty of physical monsters troll him; regardless of his high SpA. Amoonguss is just for a very Keldeo weak team. Besides that there's no real use to it. As Scarfed Terrakion can still be a check to it.

i have been using this mushroom in RU/UU and i can say that this poke is awesome and now it gets regenarator from dw. i had my own set on this poke. the set was 252 sp att 252 hp 4 hp modest black sludge -hp fire -spore -giga drain -sludge bomb. i think im gonna use that set again

The Heatran / Jellicent / Amoonguss core looks very promising. After using Amoonguss in DW for quite some time, I can definitely agree with how good it is. Double status, great bulk, a number of key resistances and being able to remove Toxic Spikes are all factors that make Amoonguss a great candidate for defensively orientated teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)