Amoonguss (QC 3/3) (GP 0/2)

I am a fungus...
[pimg]621[/pimg]
AMOONGUSS]

[Overview]

<p> Neverused has been tripping on shrooms ever since Amoonguss came to town. This pokeball-headed mushroom has quite an influence on the defensive aspect of NU, with a 114 HP stat and modest defenses Amoonguss can take quite a beating. Amoonguss also has quite a few resistances to the likes of Water-, Fighting-, Grass-, and Electric-type moves, including Sawk, Gurdurr, Absol and Serperior. Amoonguss sets itself apart from the likes of Tangela with access to the 100% accurate Spore, access to Clear Smog and the ability to absorb Toxic Spikes, making Amoonguss a huge nuisance against opposing stall teams. The only real downsides to Amoonguss are its lackluster Speed stat and its ability, Effect Spore, sometimes statusing mons with something else than what you want. Beyond those little faults Amoonguss is a sure fire wall and supporter that certainly will not dissapoint.</p>

[SET]

name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Spore
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb
move 4: Synthesis / Hidden Power Ice
item: Leftovers
ability: Effect Spore
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Amoonguss makes for one great pivot in NU, able to change the momentum of the game in an instant simply by the press of a button. What button would that be? Spore, the 100% accurate sleep inducing move that will put a threat, especially a switch-in, on the sidelines for the remainder of the battle with BW's sleep mechanics. Giga Drain provides a great recovery option for Amoonguss to stay in the battle and continue doing its job, also hitting the common Golem and Regirock hazard setters who think its smart to set rocks up before leaving. Clear Smog is a rather weak move that has the perk of removing the opponent's stat boosts, preventing mons from trying to sweep with a boost like Sawsbuck, Absol and Samurott. If sweepers aren't much of a problem Sludge Bomb can be used instead to nail Tangela, and Ludicolo who could otherwise cause Amoonguss some problems, while also nailing many other mons neutrally. Synthesis can be used to recover health immediately and reliably, also keeping Amoonguss in battles longer. Hidden Power Ice can be used instead in order to nail Flying- and Dragon-types on the switch-in who can potentially plow through Amoonguss, like Swellow, Braviary, Altaria and Rotom-S.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> Amoonguss is meant to take the bulk of physical attacks in the tier from the likes of Sawk, Samurott, Golem, and Absol. So full investment in HP and Defense is only natural in order to give Amoonguss the ability to wall these aforementioned threats. A specially defensive spread can be used, but it won't help Amoonguss take special hits any better, especially considering the majority of special attackers have moves that hit Amoonguss super effectively. It also cuts away from Amoonguss's ability to take physical hits, which most of its resistances are physically oriented in NU. 56 evs can be dropped in Special Attack in order to bolster Amoonguss's Hidden Power Ice, which is the only way for Amoonguss to answer Flying-types and Grass-types that can easily switch in, especially Swellow, Braviary, Tangela and Torterra. Hidden Power Rock could be used instead as it still hits the aforementioned flyers and also smacks the ubiquitous Magmortar or always threatening Charizard on the switch-in, Magmortar especially since Spore doesn't effect it and Amoonguss's STAB attacks won't do much anyways.</p>

<p> Regirock and Golem are great teammates for Amoonguss, by walling the Flying-types that will try and take out Amoonguss like Swellow, Braviary and Dodrio. Amoonguss also supports them by sponging the Fighting-, Water-, and Grass-type attacks that Regirock and Golem would not enjoy being hit with. Quagsire and Flareon resist fire-type attacks and Flareon also resists Ice-type attacks while Amoonguss resists Grass- and Water-type moves respectively. Skuntank is immune to Psychic-type attacks, meaning Skuntank can easily switch-in for Amoonguss and pursuit the attackers as they switch out. Cryogonal also is an interesting teammate, as it can take all sorts of special moves for Amoonguss and also spin away spikes and stealth rock for teammates. Amoonguss can take the Fighting-, and Rock-type moves that most likely will be coming Cryogonal's way.</p>

[SET]

name: Double Powder
move 2: Stun Spore
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Sludge Bomb
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> This Amoonguss plays much differently compared to the other set. with the addition of Stun Spore Amoonguss can prey on the opponent trying to switch in a sweeper after Sleep Clause has been activated, effectively shutting down their sweep before it starts. Some common examples would be Zebstrika, Charizard, Magmortar, Gorebyss, Swellow, Braviary and Chlorophyll Sawsbuck. Spore again is standard as with perfect accuracy and BW's sleep mechanics, it's guaranteed a pokemon will be going to sleep for the battle. Giga Drain is necessary for recovery and keeping Amoonguss in the battle, it also has the advantage of destroying Golem and can also shut down a paralyzed Gorebyss, too. Sludge Bomb is a neccessary attack for the threat of Sap Sipper pokemon like Sawsbuck and Miltank, especially the latter, who can play on a free switch and nab an attack boost. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> This nasty mushroom relies on its resistances and naturally high HP in order to effectively wall most of NU, especially on the physical side. Maximum ev investment in HP gives Amoonguss great overall bulk. Maximum investment in Defense along with a Bold Nature allow Amoonguss to take plenty of powerful physical hits like Sawk's Close Combat or Gurdurr's Focus Punch. A mixed defense set of 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD can be used so Amoonguss can wall on both sides of the spectrum, but be weary that most special attackers have a move that hits Amoonguss super effectively. Synthesis can be used for immediate recovery instead of having to worry about Sawsbuck or Miltank grabbing a free Sap Sipper boost on Giga Drain, but Amoonguss will not be able to effectively pick off Golem or Water-types like Quagsire or Alomomola. Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit other Grass-types like Sawsbuck, Serperior and Victreebel switching in, along with Flying-types like Braviary or Swellow. Sludge Bomb generally has more purpose and power hitting both the Grass-types harder and hitting the Flying-types for slightly less damage than Hidden Power Ice. Hidden Power Rock can be used to hit the Fire-, Bug- and Flying-types in NU, like Magmortar, Pinsir, Butterfree and Braviary. Hidden Power Rock does more damage than Sludge Bomb in all these cases but leaves Amoonguss wide open to Sawsbuck, who can freely set up on Amoonguss and proceed to sweep.</p>

<p> Quagsire and Flareon make for great teammates with Amoonguss, creating a famous Fire / Water / Grass core that covers each others weaknesses very well. Quagsire can take the Fire-type moves while Flareon takes Ice-type and Amoonguss can sponge Grass- and Water-type attacks, respectively. Skuntank is immune to Psychic moves and can grab many opportunities to switch in freely and trap the attacker with Pursuit. Cryogonal can sponge many special attacks for Amoonguss while Amoonguss can take most of the physical attacks that would otherwise outright kill Cryogonal. Flareon, Quagsire or Camerupt can patch up the Fire-type weakness that come with pairing Cryogonal with Amoonguss. </p>

[Other Options]

<p> Toxic can be used over Sludge Bomb or Clear Smog, but interferes with Amoonguss's statusing and also opens up Amoonguss to every threat that was otherwise covered with Sludge Bomb or Clear Smog. Examples would be Sawsbuck, Serperior, Magmortar and Emboar. Amoonguss has access to both Rain Dance and Sunny Day, and foregoing Stun Spore on the Double Powder set can make Amoonguss an effective weather setter. HP Fighting can be used for hitting Probopass, Bastiodon and Lairon who could otherwise act as Spore fodder for the opponent, but beyond hitting these three the coverage provided opens up Amoonguss to a plethora of threats. A more offensive EV spread of 140 HP / 116 Def / 252 SpA and a Modest Nature can be used to smack switch-ins even harder and grabs quite a few OHKOs that would otherwise live against the defensive spread. Swellow would be OHKO'd after stealth rock damage with HP Ice while Sawsbuck will be flat out OHKO'd on the switch-in without Stealth Rocks. </p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Sap Sipper Miltank can switch in freely on a Spore, Giga Drain, or Stun Spore and using the Attack boost to easily subdue Amoonguss with Body Slam. Vital Spirit Magmortar can freely switch-in on a Spore or any other move sans Sludge Bomb and Hidden Power Rock and easily OHKO Amoonguss with Fire Blast. Amoonguss is also susceptable to Sleep Clause, which opens it up to plenty of threats that can switch in and KO Amoonguss. Among this list is Fire-types like Charizard, Camerupt, and Emboar, Psychic-types like Exeggutor, Gardevoir, and Musharna, and Flying-types like Swellow and Braviary. Amoonguss is also shut down by tricked choice items, which essentially stops Amoonguss's ability to pivot. Amoonguss also cannot take to many repeated hits from the likes of Gurdurr as Amoonguss without Synthesis or Wish Support from Lickilicky or Gardevoir. </p>

[Unreleased]

<p> Amoonguss receives Regenerator from the Dreamworld, granting Amoonguss 33% recovery just by switching out. The release of Regenerator will allow Amoonguss to forgo the Synthesis moveslot for another move like Stun Spore or Hidden Power Ice. Regenerator also allows Amoonguss full control over its statusing, instead of having an opponent improperly statused by the activation of Effect Spore. </p>

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Theres not really a lot of options for Amoonguss, you've covered almost everything. I would recommend Cryogonal as a defensive partner since it can take on almost any special attack and sponge Ice-type attacks for Amoonguss, who can in return take Fighting etc. They need something to deal with Magmortar and other Fires, but its still a good core to work around, espeically when it removes all hazards easily.

haha forgot about the floating ice mon

[17:48:23] <@MoP> with qwilfish support and that floating ice bullshit that rapid spins
[17:48:34] <@MoP> what's the floating ice bullshit that rapid spins called?
[17:48:37] <@DoomVM> cyogonal
[17:48:38] <+Kkop> Cryogonal
[17:48:40] <@MoP> fuck it i think that's a good name for it
[17:49:01] <@MoP> from now on it'll be refered to as fibtrs
[17:49:06] <@MoP> it's like typoing fibers really

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You've gotta add an Unreleased section, since it doesn't have Regenerator yet (if only. . . .). I'll give this a closer look-over once I get back from dinner.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
One addition to OO could be Growth. Then a specially defensive spread can be mentioned in AC or OO.

Then there's this one thing I'm certain of: remove the ability tag. One ability = no tag.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, you've gotta mention a specially defensive set.

Also, mention somewhere an alternate EV spread with Special Attack investment. I remember when I wrote my Amoonguss analysis, the EV spread I used was 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpA. The current NU analysis uses 116 SpA EVs to secure a 2HKO on "frail Grass- and Flying-types such as Braviary."

Mention Gastro Acid in OO maybe. I haven't tried it, but it seems useful on paper.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah, you've gotta mention a specially defensive set.
What purpose does a specially defensive spread have? You're wrecked by nearly every prominent special attacker anyway (Magmortar, Charizard, Jynx, Exeggutor, Gardevoir, hell even Gorebyss OHKOes a 252/252+ spread with +2 Ice Beam). A physically inclined set is much more suited to Amoonguss's typing and the current metagame. Not to mention, the only relevant, commonly special resist that it has (not counting Water really since Ice Beam tends to go along with that) is Grass, and Amoonguss 4x resists it and decimates it with Sludge Bomb or whatever. I guess I just don't see the point in using anything other than a physical spread.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What purpose does a specially defensive spread have? You're wrecked by nearly every prominent special attacker anyway (Magmortar, Charizard, Jynx, Exeggutor, Gardevoir, hell even Gorebyss OHKOes a 252/252+ spread with +2 Ice Beam). A physically inclined set is much more suited to Amoonguss's typing and the current metagame. Not to mention, the only relevant, commonly special resist that it has (not counting Water really since Ice Beam tends to go along with that) is Grass, and Amoonguss 4x resists it and decimates it with Sludge Bomb or whatever. I guess I just don't see the point in using anything other than a physical spread.
And this can go into either AC or OO. Mentioning that and why it is bad is perfectly fit for an analysis.

alright I got all this updated, anything else in this thing's super limited movepool that we'd like? I'll list Gastro Acid anyways, but really I don't like the move in this meta since there's no gamemaking abilities like Multiscale running around.

jake

underdog of the year
And this can go into either AC or OO. Mentioning that and why it is bad is perfectly fit for an analysis.
I purely meant that a SpD spread wasn't deserving of a full set, as I interpreted the comment to mean.

I think double status deserves its own set. Its so freaking easy for Ammonguus to come in, spore something, then completely screw something else (CHARIZARD) over as it comes in thinking Ammoonguss can't do shit to it with Stun Spore. I'm on my phone right now, but I can post a full set when I get back to my computer if need be.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
A Double Powder set would be exactly the same as the first one. It might look a little slashy, but I'd just slash Stun Spore into the fourth slot.

Speaking of, I think that Sludge Bomb should be moved to AC or OO. Clear Smog is such an integral move for Amoonguss, and it's powerful enough to 2HKO most every Grass-type it needs to (from my experience, but I should probably do calcs to back this up). Is Sludge Bomb needed for anything important enough to justify using it over Clear Smog?

Sludge Bomb probably has a much better chance of KOing Exeggutor on the switch than Clear Smog, but of course, that's situational as well. I think it's fine slashed, but I don't see anything wrong with leaving it the AC as well. I also agree with the Stun Spore slash, it's an excellent auxiliary move to have.

QC APPROVED 1/3

Jk.... The good old days xD

Double Status plays differently from the Ammonguss there though. While the Ammonguss there is meant to be used as a wall, Double Status is more used as a support Pokemon for bulky offense.

If you do decide to simply slash in Stun Spore, mention how it helps against Magmortar, who thinks it can easily switch in expecting to just take a Spore.

Holy shit how did I miss Stun Spore...

EDIT: I actually think double powder could be it's own set but I haven't tried it at all. Can people chime in with this?

EDIT2: it's its own set.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I used Double Powder Amoonguss for a while and it was a damn good status spreader. People will try and play around Spore, only to get Stun Spored. :p

If you're looking for extra stuff in Other Options, I suppose you could mention Hidden Power Fighting for breaking through Probopass / Bastiodon, who are likely to come and try to absorb Spore. That's also probably where you'd discuss about specially defensive sets, or more powerful offensive sets. 140 HP / 116 Def / 252 SpA Modest hits a lot harder, and if it decides to use Substitute for some reason it won't be broken by Night Shade or Seismic Toss. Spore / Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb / HP Ice would be the set in that case.

[Overview]
  • Mention in the Overview that it checks a lot of common threats in NU, such as Sawk and Samurott
  • Also mention why you'd use it over Vileplume and why you wouldn't use it over Vileplume (Spore, better bulk, Clear Smog for pro-Amoonguss; Aromatherapy, better Special Attack, and Leech Seed for pro-Vileplume)

[Other Options]
  • Remove both Gastro Acid and SolarBeam from OO. I have no idea why you'd ever use those. Gastro Acid would be useful in Hackmons.... but not many Pokemon in NU are reliant on their ability.
  • Add erisia's suggestions

[Unreleased]
  • Stress how good Regenerator is; with it, Amoonguss will become a much, much better Pokemon.
  • Mention that Regenerator will allow Amoonguss to not have to use Synthesis as much and you could probably get away with using Hidden Power Ice over Synthesis more with Regenerator.
  • Mention that Effect Spore can usually get in your way (i.e paralyzing something that you want to sleep), so not having that will be useful.

Once you do all that: QC Approve 1/3

Sweet, will get this updated when I get to my laptop

EDIT: Done, I have a strange liking of Erisia's set but for now I have it in OO.

Amateur check:

[Overview]

<p> Neverused has been tripping on shrooms ever since Amoonguss came to town. This pokeball-headed mushroom has quite an influence on the defensive aspect of NU; with a 114 HP stat and modest defenses, Amoonguss can take quite a beating. Amoonguss also has quite a few resistances, resisting Water-, Fighting-, Grass-, and Electric-type moves, commonly used by Pokemon such as Sawk, Gurdurr, Absol and Serperior. Amoonguss sets itself apart from Tangela with access to the 100% accurate Spore, Clear Smog, and the ability to absorb Toxic Spikes, which makes it a huge nuisance to opposing stall teams. The only real downsides to Amoonguss are its lackluster Speed stat, and the fact that its ability, Effect Spore, will sometimes inflict an undesirable status to opposing Pokemon. Besides those small faults, Amoonguss is a sturdy wall and supporter that will certainly not dissapoint.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Amoonguss is a great pivot in NU, able to instantly change the momentum of the game with one move: Spore. Spore, the 100% accurate sleep inducing move, will put a threat, especially a switch-in, on the sidelines for the remainder of the battle due to BW's sleep mechanics. Giga Drain provides an excellent recovery option that allows Amoonguss to stay in the battle and continue doing its job. It also deals significant damage to the common Golem and Regirock hazard setters, who think it's smart to set rocks up before leaving. Clear Smog is a rather weak move that has the perk of removing the opponent's stat boosts, preventing sweeps from set-up sweepers such as Sawsbuck, Absol and Samurott. If sweepers aren't much of a problem, Sludge Bomb can be used instead. It nails Tangela and Ludicolo, who would otherwise cause Amoonguss some problems, and also hits many other Pokemon neutrally. Synthesis is used to recover health immediately and reliably, another way for Amoonguss to remain in battles longer. Hidden Power Ice can be used over synthesis in order to nail Flying- and Dragon-types on the switch-in, who can potentially plow through Amoonguss, such as Swellow, Braviary, Altaria and Rotom-S.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> Amoonguss is meant to take the bulk of physical attacks found in the tier, taking hits from Pokemon such as Sawk, Samurott, Golem, and Absol. Full investment in HP and Defense is a natural choice in order to give Amoonguss the ability to wall these threats. A specially defensive spread can be used, but it won't help Amoonguss take special hits much better, especially considering that the majority of special attackers have moves that hit Amoonguss super effectively. In addition, investing in Special Defense cuts away from Amoonguss's ability to take physical hits, while most of its resistances are physically oriented in NU. Fifty-six EVs can be dropped into Special Attack to bolster Amoonguss's Hidden Power Ice, which is Amoonguss’s only answer to Flying-types and Grass-types. These types of Pokemon, in particular Swellow, Braviary, Tangela, and Torterra, can easily switch in on Amoonguss. Hidden Power Rock can be used over Hidden Power Ice. It hits the aforementioned flyers, and also smacks the ubiquitous Magmortar or always-threatening Charizard on the switch-in. It is especially important to hit Magmortar because Spore doesn't affect it, and Amoonguss's STAB attacks won't do much damage.</p>

<p> Regirock and Golem are great teammates for Amoonguss. They wall the Flying-types that will try and take out Amoonguss, such as Swellow, Braviary and Dodrio. Amoonguss supports them by sponging the Fighting-, Water-, and Grass-type attacks that Regirock and Golem have a difficult time dealing with. Quagsire and Flareon are also good teammates; they both resist fire-type attacks, and Flareon also resists Ice-type attacks, while Amoonguss resists Grass- and Water-type moves, which gives the team a wide range of resistances. Skuntank is a good partner for Amoonguss. Immune to Psychic-type attacks, Skuntank can easily switch-in for Amoonguss and pursuit his attackers as they switch out. Cryogonal is another interesting teammate, as it can take all sorts of special moves for Amoonguss, in addition to spinning away spikes and stealth rock for its teammates. Amoonguss can take the Fighting- and Rock-type moves that usually come Cryogonal's way.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> This Amoonguss plays much differently than the other set. With the addition of Stun Spore, Amoonguss can prey on opponents that try to switch in a sweeper after the Sleep Clause has been activated. This effectively shuts down their sweep before it starts. Some common examples of this are Zebstrika, Charizard, Magmortar, Gorebyss, Swellow, Braviary, and Chlorophyll Sawsbuck. Again, Spore is standard. Combining its perfect accuracy and BW's sleep mechanics, it's guaranteed that a Pokemon will be sleeping for the battle. Giga Drain is necessary for recovery, and it also has the advantage of destroying Golem. It can shut down a paralyzed Gorebyss, too. Sludge Bomb is a necessary attack to counter the threat of Sap Sipper Pokemon like Sawsbuck and Miltank, particularly the latter, who can play on a free switch and nab an attack boost. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> This nasty mushroom relies on its resistances and naturally high HP to effectively wall most of NU, especially on the physical side. Maximum EV investment in HP gives Amoonguss great overall bulk. Maximum investment in Defense, along with a Bold Nature, allows Amoonguss to take plenty of powerful physical hits, such as Sawk's Close Combat or Gurdurr's Focus Punch. A mixed defense set of 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD can be used so that Amoonguss can wall both physical and special attacks, but be aware that most special attackers have a move that hits Amoonguss super effectively. Synthesis can be used over Giga Drain for immediate recovery, removing the threat of Sawsbuck or Miltank grabbing a free Sap Sipper boost on Giga Drain, but doing so will leave Amoonguss unable to effectively pick off Golem or Water-types like Quagsire or Alomomola. Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit other Grass-types such as Sawsbuck, Serperior, and Victreebel switching in, along with Flying-types such as Braviary or Swellow. Sludge Bomb generally has more purpose and power. It hits both the Grass-types harder, and hits the Flying-types for slightly less damage than Hidden Power Ice. Hidden Power Rock can be used to hit the Fire-, Bug- and Flying-types in NU, such as Magmortar, Pinsir, Butterfree and Braviary. Hidden Power Rock does greater damage than Sludge Bomb in all these cases, but leaves Amoonguss wide open to Sawsbuck, who can freely set up on Amoonguss and proceed to sweep.</p>

<p> Quagsire and Flareon make for great teammates to Amoonguss, creating a famous Fire / Water / Grass core that can cover each other's weaknesses well. Quagsire can take the Fire-type moves, while Flareon takes Ice-type moves and Amoonguss sponges Grass- and Water-type attacks. Skuntank is immune to Psychic moves and can grab many opportunities to switch in freely and trap the attacker with Pursuit. Cryogonal can sponge many special attacks for Amoonguss, while Amoonguss can take most of the physical attacks that would otherwise kill Cryogonal. Flareon, Quagsire or Camerupt can patch up the Fire-type weakness that comes with pairing Cryogonal with Amoonguss. </p>

[Other Options]

<p> Toxic can be used over Sludge Bomb or Clear Smog, but interferes with Amoonguss's ability to status, and opens up Amoonguss to every threat that was covered with Sludge Bomb or Clear Smog. Examples of this are Sawsbuck, Serperior, Magmortar and Emboar. Amoonguss has access to both Rain Dance and Sunny Day, and foregoing Stun Spore on the Double Powder set can make Amoonguss an effective weather inducer. Hidden Power Fighting can be used for hitting Probopass, Bastiodon, and Lairon, who could otherwise act as Spore fodder for the opponent; but, beyond hitting these three, the coverage provided opens Amoonguss up to a plethora of threats. A more offensive EV spread of 140 HP / 116 Def / 252 SpA and a Modest Nature can be used to smack switch-ins even harder, and grabs quite a few OHKOs on Pokemon that would otherwise survive against the defensive spread. Swellow will be OHKOed after stealth rock damage with HP Ice, while Sawsbuck will be flat out OHKOed on the switch in without Stealth Rocks. </p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Sap Sipper Miltank can switch in freely on a Spore, Giga Drain, or Stun Spore, and can use the Attack boost to easily subdue Amoonguss with Body Slam. Vital Spirit Magmortar can freely switch-in on a Spore, or any other move besides Sludge Bomb and Hidden Power Rock, and easily OHKO Amoonguss with Fire Blast. Amoonguss is also susceptible to the Sleep Clause, which opens it up to plenty of threats that can switch in and KO Amoonguss. Among this list are Fire-types such Charizard, Camerupt, and Emboar; Psychic-types such as Exeggutor, Gardevoir, and Musharna; and Flying-types such as Swellow and Braviary. In addition, Amoonguss is shut down by tricked choice items, which essentially stop Amoonguss's ability to pivot. Amoonguss cannot take too many repeated hits from the likes of Gurdurr, as Amoonguss is without Synthesis, or Wish Support from Lickilicky or Gardevoir. </p>

[Unreleased]

<p> Amoonguss receives Regenerator from the Dreamworld, granting it 33% recovery by merely switching out. The release of Regenerator will allow Amoonguss to forgo the Synthesis moveslot for another move like Stun Spore or Hidden Power Ice. Regenerator also grants Amoonguss full control over its statusing, instead of having an opponent improperly statused by the activation of Effect Spore. </p>

The diff app isn't feeling it today, so I only have the revised version to post.

A couple things to note are that Smogon uses the serial comma, "its" is possessive while "it's" is a contraction, "switch-in" is a noun while "switch in" is a verb, and "OHKOed" is the past tense of "OHKO".

To future editors: Is the singular possessive of Amoonguss, "Amoonguss's". I feel like it may just be "Amoonguss'".

Nice write-up! I enjoyed editing it, and I hope I was able to help.

EDIT: Since I was unable to provide you with a body of text that illustrates my changes, you can go here to use a working application that shows the difference between two bodies of text.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
Generally, names's is correct, not names' (It's the one we use).

Also, perfexionist, I'll look over your check for a stamp later, but I'd really prefer if you did your GP checks by hand instead of using the app. It's not a hard and fast rule, but it's much easier for everyone if the changes are easily discernible.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, looks good. Perfexionist, you missed a few little things. They're all in the check below.

To be clear, Perfexionist, I'm stamping your amcheck, and Steam, implement the above check, then this one.

[Overview]

<p> Neverused has been tripping on shrooms ever since Amoonguss came to town. This pokeball-headed mushroom has quite an influence on the defensive aspect of NU; with a titanic base 114 HP stat and modest defenses, Amoonguss can take quite a beating. Amoonguss also has quite a few resistances, resisting Water-, Fighting-, Grass-, and Electric-type moves, which are commonly used by Pokemon such as Sawk, Gurdurr, Absol and Serperior. Amoonguss sets itself apart from Tangela with access to the 100% accurate Spore, Clear Smog, and the ability to absorb Toxic Spikes, which makes it a huge nuisance to opposing stall teams. The only real downsides to Amoonguss are its lackluster Speed stat, and the fact that its ability, Effect Spore, will sometimes inflict an undesirable status to on opposing Pokemon. Besides those small faults, Amoonguss is a sturdy wall and supporter that will certainly not dissapoint disappoint.</p>

[SET]
(Remove Space)

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>(Remove Space)Amoonguss is a great pivot in NU, able to instantly change the momentum of the game with one move: Spore. Spore, the 100% accurate sleep(Hyphen) inducing move, will put a threat, especially a switch-in, on the sidelines for the remainder of the battle due to BW's sleep mechanics. Giga Drain provides an excellent recovery option that allows Amoonguss to stay in the battle and continue doing its job. It also deals significant damage to the common Golem and Regirock entry hazard setters, Golem and Regirock(Comma) who that think it's smart to set rocks up before leaving. Clear Smog is a rather weak move that has the perk of removing the opponent's stat boosts, preventing sweeps from set-up sweepers such as Sawsbuck, Absol and Samurott. If sweepers aren't much of a problem, Sludge Bomb can be used instead. It nails Tangela and Ludicolo, who which would otherwise cause Amoonguss some problems, and also hits many other Pokemon neutrally. Synthesis is used to recover health immediately and reliably, another way for Amoonguss to remain in battles longer. Hidden Power Ice can be used over synthesis Synthesis in order to nail Flying- and Dragon-types on the switch-in, who which can potentially plow through Amoonguss, such as Swellow, Braviary, Altaria and Rotom-S.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>(Remove Space)Amoonguss is meant to take the bulk of physical attacks found in the tier, taking hits from Pokemon such as Sawk, Samurott, Golem, and Absol. Full investment in HP and Defense is a natural choice in order to give Amoonguss the ability to wall these threats. A specially defensive spread can be used, but it won't help Amoonguss take special hits much better, especially considering that the majority of special attackers have moves that hit Amoonguss super effectively. In addition, investing in Special Defense cuts away from Amoonguss's ability to take physical hits, while most of its resistances are physically oriented in NU. Fifty-six EVs can be dropped into Special Attack to bolster Amoonguss's Hidden Power Ice, which is Amoonguss’s its only answer to Flying-types and Grass-types. These types of Pokemon, in particular Swellow, Braviary, Tangela, and Torterra, can easily switch in on Amoonguss. Hidden Power Rock can be used over Hidden Power Ice. It hits the aforementioned flyers, and also smacks the ubiquitous Magmortar or always-threatening Charizard on the switch-in. It is especially important to hit Magmortar because Spore doesn't affect it due to Vital Spirit, and Amoonguss's STAB attacks won't do much damage.</p>

<p>(Remove Space)Regirock and Golem are great teammates for Amoonguss. They wall the Flying-types that will try and to take out Amoonguss, such as Swellow, Braviary and Dodrio. Amoonguss supports them by sponging the Fighting-, Water-, and Grass-type attacks that Regirock and Golem have a difficult time dealing with. Quagsire and Flareon are also good teammates; they both resist fire-type Fire-type attacks, and Flareon also resists Ice-type attacks, while Amoonguss resists Grass- and Water-type moves, which gives the team a wide range of resistances. Skuntank is a good partner for Amoonguss. Immune to Psychic-type attacks, Skuntank can easily switch-in switch infor Amoonguss and pursuit Pursuit his attackers as they switch out. Cryogonal is another interesting teammate, as it can take all sorts of special moves for Amoonguss, in addition to spinning away spikes and stealth rock Spikes and Stealth Rock for its teammates. Amoonguss can take the Fighting- and Rock-type moves that usually come Cryogonal's way.</p>

[SET]
(Remove Space)

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>(Remove Space) This Amoonguss plays much differently than to the other set. With the addition of Stun Spore, Amoonguss can prey on opponents that try to switch in a sweeper after the Sleep Clause has been activated. This effectively shuts down their sweep before it starts. Some common examples of this are Zebstrika, Charizard, Magmortar, Gorebyss, Swellow, Braviary, and Chlorophyll Sawsbuck. Again, Spore is standard. Combining its perfect accuracy and BW's sleep mechanics, it's almost guaranteed that a Pokemon will be sleeping for the remainder of the battle. Giga Drain is necessary for recovery, and it also has the advantage of destroying Golem. It can shut down a paralyzed Gorebyss, too. Sludge Bomb is a necessary attack to counter the threat of Sap Sipper Pokemon like such as Sawsbuck and Miltank, particularly the latter, who which can play on a free switch and nab an attack Attack boost.(Remove Space)</p>

(Remove Space)
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>(Remove Space)This nasty mushroom relies on its resistances and naturally high HP to effectively wall most of NU, especially on the physical side. Maximum EV investment in HP gives Amoonguss great overall bulk. Maximum investment in Defense, along with a Bold Nature nature, allows Amoonguss to take plenty of powerful physical hits, such as Sawk's Close Combat or Gurdurr's Focus Punch. A mixed defense set of 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD can be used so that Amoonguss can wall both physical and special attacks, but be aware that most special attackers have a move that hits Amoonguss super effectively. Synthesis can be used over Giga Drain for immediate recovery, removing the threat of Sawsbuck or Miltank grabbing a free Sap Sipper boost on Giga Drain, but doing so will leave Amoonguss unable to effectively pick off Golem or Water-types like such as Quagsire or Alomomola. Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit other Grass-types such as Sawsbuck, Serperior, and Victreebel switching in, along with Flying-types such as Braviary or Swellow. Sludge Bomb generally has more purpose and power. It hits both the Grass-types harder, and hits the Flying-types for slightly less damage than Hidden Power Ice. Hidden Power Rock can be used to hit the Fire-, Bug-(Comma) and Flying-types in NU, such as Magmortar, Pinsir, Butterfree and Braviary. Hidden Power Rock does greater damage than Sludge Bomb in all these cases, but leaves Amoonguss wide open to Sawsbuck, who can freely set up on Amoonguss and proceed to sweep.</p>

<p>(Remove Space)Quagsire and Flareon make for great teammates to Amoonguss, creating a famous Fire / Water / Grass core that can cover each other's weaknesses well. Quagsire can take the Fire-type moves, while Flareon takes Ice-type moves and Amoonguss sponges Grass- and Water-type attacks. Skuntank is immune to Psychic moves and can grab many opportunities to switch in freely and trap the attacker with Pursuit. Cryogonal can sponge many special attacks for Amoonguss, while Amoonguss can take most of the physical attacks that would otherwise kill KO Cryogonal. Flareon, Quagsire or Camerupt can patch up the Fire-type weakness that comes with pairing Cryogonal with Amoonguss.(Remove Space)</p>

[Other Options]

<p>(Remove Space)Toxic can be used over Sludge Bomb or Clear Smog, but interferes with Amoonguss's ability to inflict status, and opens up Amoonguss to every threat that was covered with Sludge Bomb or Clear Smog. Examples of this are Sawsbuck, Serperior, Magmortar and Emboar. Amoonguss has access to both Rain Dance and Sunny Day, and foregoing Stun Spore on the Double Powder set can make Amoonguss an effective weather inducer. Hidden Power Fighting can be used for hitting Probopass, Bastiodon, and Lairon, who which could otherwise act as Spore fodder for the opponent; but, beyond hitting these three, the coverage provided opens Amoonguss up to a plethora of threats. A more offensive EV spread of 140 HP / 116 Def / 252 SpA and a Modest Nature can be used to smack switch-ins even harder, and grabs quite a few OHKOs on Pokemon that would otherwise survive against the defensive spread. Swellow will be OHKOed after stealth rock damage with HP Ice, while Sawsbuck will be flat out OHKOed on the switch in without Stealth Rocks.(Remove Space)</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>(Remove Space)Sap Sipper Miltank can switch in freely on a Spore, Giga Drain, or Stun Spore, and can use the Attack boost to easily subdue Amoonguss with Body Slam. Vital Spirit Magmortar can freely switch-in on a switch into Spore, or any other move besides Sludge Bomb and Hidden Power Rock, and easily OHKO Amoonguss with Fire Blast. Amoonguss is also susceptible to the Sleep Clause, which opens it up to plenty of threats that can switch in and KO Amoonguss it. Among this list are Fire-types such Charizard, Camerupt, and Emboar; Psychic-types such as Exeggutor, Gardevoir, and Musharna; and Flying-types such as Swellow and Braviary. In addition, Amoonguss is shut down by tricked choice Choice items, which essentially stop Amoonguss's ability to pivot. Amoonguss cannot take too many repeated hits from the likes of Gurdurr, as Amoonguss is without Synthesis, or Wish Support from Lickilicky or Gardevoir.(Remove Space)</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>(Remove Space) Amoonguss receives Regenerator from the Dreamworld Dream World, granting it 33% recovery by merely switching out. The release of Regenerator will allow Amoonguss to forgo the Synthesis moveslot for another move like Stun Spore or Hidden Power Ice. Regenerator also grants Amoonguss full control over its statusing, instead of having an opponent improperly statused by the activation of Effect Spore.(Remove Space)</p>

GP Approved 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)