Ampharos (Update) QC: 3/3 GP 2/2

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Y I no get Tail Glow?

[Overview]

<p>Ampharos is adorable, but sadly this doesn't necessarily make it popular in battle. It is overshadowed pretty badly by Eelektross, who is notable for its mixed attacking prowess and Levitate, as well as several other NU Electric-types, who are faster. Despite the fierce competition, Ampharos actually has a lot of things that these Pokemon don't. For one, it has the highest Special Attack of all NU Electric-types, and can really pack some good power with its Electric-type attacks. It has a lower Speed stat but greater bulk than much of its competition as well, allowing it to take hits that many other Electric-types would otherwise crumble to, and it is not weak to Stealth Rock like Rotom-F and Rotom-S, who are similarly bulky and powerful. While Ampharos has a somewhat shallow movepool, it does have the rare Heal Bell, which further takes advantage of its unusually good bulk. Unfortunately, its lack of reliable recovery means that Ampharos's decent bulk cannot be fully taken advantage of. Ampharos is an oddball amongst its Electric brethren, but it can still be effective.</p>

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
move 3: Volt Switch
move 4: Focus Blast / Heal Bell
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Static
nature: Modest
evs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set attempts to utilize Ampharos's unique traits, namely its bulk, power, and access to Heal Bell, to their fullest. Its decent bulk lets it take some hits, while its power allows it to easily retaliate. Packing the strongest Thunderbolt in NU, Ampharos is easily capable of dealing massive damage to anything that doesn't resist its powerful Electric-type attacks. To hit the Ground-types that are immune to Ampharos's STAB moves, both Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Grass are viable options for Ampharos to use in the second slot; the former has greater neutral coverage alongside Thunderbolt and can take on Torterra, while the latter can be used specifically for Seismitoad, a much more common threat. Volt Switch allows Ampharos to keep momentum by taking advantage of the opponent's switches, and still hits hard thanks to Ampharos's high Special Attack despite being mainly a support move. For the last slot, Ampharos can choose either offensive coverage or a support option. Focus Blast hits Normal- and Rock-types such as Lickilicky and Bastiodon and nails Pokemon that can take both Ice- and Electric-type attacks such as Piloswine and Rotom-F, making Ampharos difficult to wall. Alternatively, Heal Bell is Ampharos's biggest niche as an Electric-type, giving it the ability to heal status effects from itself and its teammates, making its whole team harder to wear down with status.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb gives Ampharos extra power to its attacks, while Leftovers grants Ampharos more survivability. Ampharos still faces stiff competition with Eelektross in terms of wallbreaking, but does trade mixed attacking prowess for slightly more power and Speed as well as the ability to take status attacks if Heal Bell is used. Signal Beam can be used over Focus Blast or Heal Bell, preferably alongside Hidden Power Grass to net the best overall coverage, but misses out on Grass / Poison-types. The Speed EVs allow Ampharos to outspeed uninvested base 65 Pokemon such as Alomomola so that it can take them down without hassle. Alternatively, an EV spread of 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe outpaces minimum Speed base 70s such as Mantine, but they aren't quite common enough to justify the loss in bulk. A Timid nature with maximum Speed can outspeed threats such as Mandibuzz, Misdreavus, Gorebyss, and Jolly Carracosta, but loses out on both power and bulk, two of Ampharos's greatest advantages.</p>

<p>Choice Specs can be used to allow Ampharos to hit like a nuke without taking recoil, but Choice-locked Electric-type attacks are easily taken advantage of and Ampharos will not be able to make use of Heal Bell as effectively. Ampharos's partners should be able to take advantage of its capacity to punch holes into the opponent's team; fellow special attackers such as Charizard and Kadabra appreciate Ampharos's ability to weaken bulky Pokemon such as Probopass and Musharna for them, while physical attackers such as Primeape, Swellow and Golurk like having Alomomola, Metang, and Mandibuzz out of the way. Primeape even boasts U-turn, which allows it to maintain momentum and form a VoltTurn core with Ampharos's Volt Switch.</p>

[SET]
name: Specially Defensive
move 2: Heal Bell
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Volt Switch / Focus Blast
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Ampharos's decent bulk allows it to take a more defensive route, letting it utilize a specially defensive set to serve as a strong check to special attackers such as Charizard and Eelektross. Thunderbolt is the main STAB move, and can deal solid damage even with no investment in Special Attack. Heal Bell wards off status from itself and its teammates, increasing its survivability. Toxic wears down bulky opponents that would otherwise sponge Ampharos's attacks easily, most notably Ground-types. For the last slot, Volt Switch allows Ampharos to maintain momentum to prevent the opponent from taking advantage of its uninvested attacks, whereas Focus Blast is a strong neutral option against Ground-types and the Electric-types that Ampharos walls.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Even with Focus Blast, Ground-types remain huge problems for Ampharos, especially Golurk. Thus, Grass-type or Flying-type partners are recommended; Ampharos resists the Flying- and Electric-type attacks aimed at them, while they are capable of switching into Ground-type attacks with little trouble. Tangela and Mandibuzz are decent options to consider. Regirock can be a viable partner in case Charizard becomes too much to handle, while the shared Ground-type weakness can be covered with the aforementioned Grass- and Flying-type partners and / or Alomomola. Speaking of which, Alomomola makes a great partner by taking physical hits and providing Wish support to make up for Ampharos's lack of reliable recovery, while Ampharos takes on Electric-types and provides Heal Bell support for Alomomola. Discharge could be used to spread paralysis, but might clash with Toxic against targets which you'd prefer to poison. If Discharge is used, Toxic may be replaced with Hidden Power Ice to nail Grass-types and Golurk, but without investment it won't do much.</p>

[SET]
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 4: Heal Bell
item: Light Clay
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set complements Ampharos's slow but bulky stat spread very well. Access to dual screens, good bulk, and a slow Volt Switch make Ampharos excel at creating optimal setup conditions for most sweepers, especially offensive setup sweepers on hyper offensive teams. Light Clay is the item of choice to extend the duration of the screens, lengthening the amount of time your sweepers can take hits while setting up. Heal Bell lets Ampharos further support its teammates, in case status prevents the possibility of a sweep on an important sweeper.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Ampharos faces competition from faster dual screen users, such as Serperior and Gardevoir, both of whom can get the appropriate screen up before taking damage and have access to Taunt, while Ampharos might struggle to get both screens up and Volt Switch away. Ampharos does boast the benefit of a slow Volt Switch, however, taking the hit for its teammate and then bringing it in for free, something Serperior and Gardevoir cannot do. A specially defensive spread may be used, but this set prefers well rounded bulk as the dual screens will do the heavy lifting in terms of taking hits. If you don't like Heal Bell, Safeguard can go in the last slot as a final act to set the stage, protecting the setup sweepers from status. Hidden Power Ice allows Ampharos to fight back against Ground-types, but this set isn't really meant for that purpose. Setup sweepers that can set up on Ground-types or Grass-types, such as Serperior, Sawsbuck, Drifblim, and Misdreavus, are excellent partners. The support Ampharos provides isn't limited to these recipients though, as Ampharos practically lays the red carpet for setup sweepers. Swoobat, Linoone, Samurott, Carracosta are all examples of possible teammates that would definitely appreciate the extra bulk.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Agility is an interesting option to allow Ampharos to outrun foes while maintaining its superior bulk over other Electric-types, but it usually doesn't have enough power to sweep foes, and almost every relevant Choice Scarf user still outspeeds it even after a boost. Zap Plate boosts Ampharos's Electric-type moves without reducing its HP and undermining its bulk, but its coverage moves become noticeably weaker. Magnet Rise can be used to dodge Ground-type moves and Cotton Guard can be used to boost Ampharos's Defense, but Ampharos doesn't really have any moveslots to spare for either of them without leaving it wide open to other threats. Rain Dance + Thunder can be used, but faster Electric-types such as Rotom-S do this better. Ampharos also has Power Gem, but it strikes nothing bar Shedinja harder than its main options. Thunder Wave or Cotton Spore can slow down opponents, but Thunder Wave clashes with Toxic, and Ampharos has Agility if it really needs to outspeed threats. Ampharos has an interesting physical movepool consisting of Wild Charge, Fire Punch, Bulldoze, Brick Break, and Outrage, but Luxray and Eelektross use physical moves more effectively. Body Slam can be used for an alternative way to spread paralysis, but it still can't touch Golurk.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ground-types pose a huge threat to Ampharos and can destroy it with their STAB moves; Golurk is noteworthy for being immune to Ampharos's STAB moves and Focus Blast, Golem has Sturdy, Seismitoad only fears Hidden Power Grass, Piloswine takes a pittance from Electric- and Ice-type coverage, and Camerupt isn't weak to anything Ampharos commonly carries. Grass-types make for excellent switch-ins as they do not take too much damage from anything short of a Choice Specs Hidden Power Ice; Roselia, Vileplume, and Calm Mind Serperior can get the upper hand easily. Specially bulky Pokemon such as Lickilicky, Audino, Munchlax, Regice, and Eviolite Dragonair can tank Ampharos's hits, but must be wary of Focus Blast, or Hidden Power Ice in Dragonair's case. Ampharos fears Ground-type moves, but note that it can survive most attacks not backed by STAB, such as Sawsbuck's Nature Power or Kangaskhan's Earthquake.</p>

<p>Its low Speed and lack of reliable recovery make Ampharos easier to check than counter, though note that a healthy Ampharos can survive most powerful attacks, so revenge killing is not easy. Taunt from the likes of Serperior, Skuntank and Misdreavus stunts most defensive Ampharos sets, though other users such as Samurott and Mandibuzz obviously need to watch their step. While Heal Bell allows Ampharos to cleanse itself of status, its meager 8 PP means that repeated use of status can still work on Ampharos provided the status user can withstand Ampharos's assaults. Powerful attacks usually 2HKO Ampharos, so keeping up the offensive pressure on Ampharos can lessen the damage it does to your team and the support it offers to its teammates.</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, since no one has commented on this, I might as well give it a shot. I'm not QC, so don't have to implement any of this

[Overview]
  • Remove the first point. No fluff on analyses
  • While you do mention its decent defenses and Heal Bell, I think you need to emphasize that a bit more, as its Specially Defensive set is its biggest niche in the current metagame
  • Apart from that, the overview seems pretty solid imo
[Set Order]
  • I think that the set order should be Specially Defensive > Agility > Dual Screens > Tank. In the current metagame, its specially defensive is the best, as it can check a large amount of special attackers due to its decent special bulk. Agility is also pretty good since Ampharos is powerful enough to use it and it can outpace Jolly Swellow after a boost. Dual Screens is meh, but Ampharos's decent bulk Volt Switch make it a decent user of the combination. The Tank set is completely outclassed by Eelektross and only has Heal Bell to differentiate itself, which is why I believe it should be last.
[Tank]
  • I think that this set should be removed due to the fact that it is completely outclassed by Eelektross. The only real advantage it has over it is Heal Bell and slightly greater bulk, while Eelektross has Superpower, Levitate, and a greater amount of power
  • If this set does remain on the analysis, emphasize its advantage over Eelektross
  • Add an EV spread of 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe in AC to outpace minimum Speed base 70s like Mantine
[Specially Defensive]
  • I think that Thunder Wave needs an AC mention as it may be useful in situations where you absolutely need to paralyze the foe
  • As ridiculous as this might sound, I also think Fire Punch with 20 Atk EVs and a Sassy nature should get an AC mention, as it will always OHKO Jynx after a layer of Spikes
[Dual Screens]
  • No comments, except maybe add an offensive spread into AC?
[Agility]
  • Instead of explaining Substitute's use in AC, explain it in the set comments (as Substitute is slashed with Focus Blast)
  • I personally think the the Petya Berry should be slashed, as it allows Amphros to sweep late-game easier with its boosted Special Attack as works very well in tandem with Substitute
[Other Options]
  • Add Charge Beam here for boosting Ampharos's Special Attack
  • Remove the mention of Physical Attacks
[Checks and Counters]
  • Nothing to say here. Maybe mention Electric types since the resist Ampharos's Thunderbolt and most of them can take a Focus Blast
Just my two cents.

Last edited:

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i almost completely disagree with the above post and i'll give a full check tomorrow

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
In what world does Eelektross's Thunderbolt do more damage than Ampharos's Thunderbolt...?

Signal Beam might be worth an AC mention (or even slash) on the offensive sets since it nails Exeggutor and hits other Grass- and Psychic-types harder than HP Ice and Thunderbolt, respectively.

Punchshroom

The extra damage against Psychics when compared to T-bolt is almost negligible, but the stronger hit on Eggy will be noted.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Tank Set-
Discussed this a bit on IRC with Treecko, set should look something like:

move 2: Hidden Power Ice

with Choice Specs and Signal Beam in AC, and Magnet in OO. Life Orb if you're using Focus Blast, Lefties with Heal Bell or if you want more survivability. I know Choice Specs is already listed in AC, so keep it there. Move the mention of Magnet though, nobody uses it and frankly it's kind of a silly choice, you're not getting any significant KOs with it and you miss out on the good points of the other items. Heal Bell is getting a bit of the shaft since while yes, it sets Ampharos apart from other Electric-types, it's not particularly good at using it and gives the opponent a free turn to get something like Golurk in on you.

SpDef-
Move Discharge to AC, it's not really worth a slash since you're trying to Toxic most mons. It's kinda useful for Scolipede, but Ampharos vs Scolipede isn't a matchup you'll particularly want to shoot for. You also don't have any mentions of specific partners currently, fix that. Get rid of Rest + Sleep Talk from AC of that set, it's a pretty bad idea.

Dual Screens-
Fine imo, pretty simple set.

Agility-
Fine I guess, need to mention that you should eliminate faster Scarfers like Jynx/Primeape/Sawk and priority users like Skuntank before attempting to sweep since you'll get revenged if not.

OO-
Add Rain Dance + Thunder, mention that other mons do this better. When you mention Physical moves, mention that there's really no point to using them. You could add Charge Beam but it's weak and slow boosting. Add Thunder Wave and Cotton Spore as speed control options, on a more defensive set, but they're kinda bad / Thunder Wave clashes with Toxic.

Checks&Counters-
When you mention Ground-types, mention Golem since it has Sturdy. Can't think of anything else for here but I'm sure I'm forgetting shit.

I really don't like the dual screens and agility sets. Agility is just to slow to function right now. Even at +2 every relevant scarfer is outspeeding amphy. It's also just not strong enough to sweep a team. It just seems like OO material.

The dual screens set is a bit better, but when would I want to really use it? Volt Switch is cool, but Rotom-S gets all 3 moves as well. Because Dual Screens are for offensive teams, such a defensive Pokemon like Ampharos just doesn't pull it off very well in practice. On top of that, it doesn't really wall much that really threatens screen teams. If people really want it,, im fine with it being the 3rd set. But I've never seen it really do much in practice.

Finally, HP Grass slash on the first set. Seismitoad is my fav amphy switch-in. Crushing it on the switch is very nice. It also hits Golem wayy harder :). They both have lots of ups and downs. In this meta I really prefer Grass coverage to Ice, but I can see the reasons HP Ice is useful.

So:
Scrap Agility set
Maybe Scrap Dual Screens set
Slash HP Grass with HP Ice

:)

tennisace

I'm inclined to agree, I was just working off the previous skeleton where we had approved them. They both have serious limitations and are probably OO material (with significant mentions). To add onto Raseri's HP Grass suggestion, maybe mention in AC that you can use HP Grass + Signal Beam > HP Ice + Focus Blast for similar coverage.

Punchshroom

Added Raseri's changes in scrapping Agility (unsure of Dual Screens atm), and tennis's changes in mentioning HP Grass + Signal Beam in AC (Focus Blast is useful in smashing special walls & Piloswine, while HP Ice covers Golurk & Grass-Poisons that resist Electric + Fighting).

i think dual screens ampharos is actually pretty good. raseri mentions that rotom-s has access to all 3 of those moves, however it doesnt have the slow volt switch ampharos has or moves like heal bell. ampharos is one of the best dual screens setters in nu because of its ease in setting up screens and slow volt switch and thus i think it deserves to be on the analysis.

agility isnt very good though so i agree with removing that.

you mention HP Grass in AC, but I still believe that it should be a full slash with HP Ice. They both hit a few targets harder than the other, but on most teams it really doesn't matter that much which one you use. And I view Seismitoad as a bigger threat than most Grass-types in this meta. You can easily volt switch out of Serperior switch-ins!

Signal Beam in AC mention is good though.

Also @Dual Screens. The slow volt switch is definitely a huge draw to the set, and the only reason I'd ever really consider it. The issue with Ampharos is that I find it really hard to set up screens at all. It can set up one screen well, but I always found getting 2 and volt switching out to just be to much of a burden for it. But, I am fine with it having a set because the slow volt switch, even with just one screen. Is really solid on some teams. Also static > all.

So yeah keep dual screens if you want, if we change our mind later we can remove it

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ok I'm not QC, but I personally think Dual Screen Ampharos isn't that good, and if it does get its set, it should have a good mention saying it is outclassed by other Dual Screen user like Gardevoir and Serperior. Dual Screens are mostly used on Hyper Offense team to help your frail teammates to get a boost safely, so you need a fast setter to ensure you have them up as quick as possible. The slow Volt Switch Ampharos provide might seem amazing at first, but then you realise it HAS to take a hit before its first screen is up, which can really bad for Ampharos as it might end up not setting the second screen. Also, with that low base Speed, many Taunt user outspeeds Ampharos and stop it cold. Do everything you want with this~ :toast:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[SET COMMENTS] (Tank)
  • Life Orb / Lefties mention to AC.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Tank)
  • On the mention of Signal Beam, say it can be used over Focus Blast and Heal Bell, not Hidden Power. Also say that Signal Beam works best when using HP Grass, since Electric / Grass / Bug gets the best coverage alongside each other.
[SET COMMENTS] (SpD)
  • Reword the first two sentences. It should say something like, "Ampharos's decent bulk allows it to take a more defensive route, letting it serve as a solid check to strong special attackers such as Jynx, Charizard, and Eelektross." If you don't like my wording you can change it up a bit, but it should be along the lines of that.
As for the Dual Screens set, I really don't like it in general, tbh. Soulgazer mainly covered most of the reasons I don't like it: Amphy is slow as balls, and since dual screeners are meant to get up screens fast it kind of compounds that. Its slow Volt Switch is nice but it's a lot to be putting on Amphy (screens, Volt Switch, cleric) especially with no Lefties. It does have a significant bulk difference but there's a lot less pressure on, say, Serperior and Gardevoir to take hits because they can usually set up screens BEFORE getting hit by an attack. I honestly just think there's too much pressure on Amphy to be able to set up screens and Volt Switch out. Before I stamp this, I'd like to see some replays (or PM me a team) with Amphy in it. But right now Screens Amphy just seems really lackluster to me.

If this set does stay though, scrap Toxic. It just kills momentum which is bad since Dual Screens Amphy is always on offensive teams.

Punchshroom

Made the changes. I am still uncertain about Dual Screens' place in this analysis, but yeah Toxic should be scrapped.

Punchshroom

[SET COMMENTS] (Tank)
  • When you talk about the different Hidden Power choices, I would just say, "Hidden Power should be used to hit Ground-types that are immune to its STAB. Either Ice or Grass is a viable Hidden Power type for Ampharos to use; the former has greater neutral coverage alongsider Thunderbolt and can take on Torterra, while the latter can be used specifically for Seismitoad, a much more common threat." It doesn't have to be this verbatim, but something along these lines would better clarify the distinction between the two.
  • Mention that Ampharos utilizes its low Speed with Volt Switch by taking a hit before pivoting to frailer offensive partners.
  • "For the last slot, Ampharos can choose between offense and support." Change "offense and support" to "either offensive coverage or a support option." It more specifically highlights the role of the two moves.
  • Remove the space at the end of this paragraph between the period and the </p> tag, and add a line break between the end of the paragraph and [ADDITIONAL COMMENTS].
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Tank)
  • When you talk about Signal Beam, it should be Grass / Poison-types rather than Grass-Poison types.
  • The mention of Timid max/max EV spread should offer Rotom formes as alternatives for such a spread.
  • At the end of the second paragraph, Volt-turn should be VoltTurn.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Specially Defensive)
  • As with the Tank set, make sure to add a line break between the end of Set Comments and Additional Comments.
  • I'd like to see a mention of Regirock here as a partner. Even with its great special bulk, Ampharos can't take two Choice Specs Fire Blasts from Charizard, making it a shaky check. Regirock offers another decent secondary check so that they can work in conjunction with one another in order to check it more effectively. Plus, the compounded Ground weakness isn't so bad when you consider that Grass- and Flying-types are also recommended, as well as Alomomola.
[SET] (Dual Screens)
  • I actually like Ampharos's Dual Screens set and definitely think it merits its spot on-site. I feel like something else should go over Heal Bell, but I can't think of anything.
[SET COMMENTS] (Dual Screens)
  • I feel like some things need clarifying here. Make sure it's obvious that this set is to be used alongside offensive set-up sweepers on hyper offensive teams. Make a mention of how it plays; Ampharos will come in, likely after your hazard setter(s) die(s), set up screens, and pivot into a sweeper. It should ideally only come into battle once and should only come back out if screens have ended and your sweeper has died.
  • Again, line break at the end of the paragraph.
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (Dual Screens)
  • You talk about the other screens setters that Ampharos faces competition from but never say why you would want to use Ampharos instead. While it might be a lot slower than other screens setters, its much better bulk gives it a niche along with its slow Volt Switch. Serperior has no way to pivot out, while Gardevoir has to kill itself with Memento or Healing Wish in order to give a free switch to a partner. While Gardevoir might be better overall, it's less consistent and has fewer opportunities to set up.
[Other Options]
  • This is super-duper minor, but I'd change the Magnet mention to Zap Plate, if only because it could be confusion with talk about Magnet Rise in the next sentence.
[Checks and Counters]
  • When you mention Ground-type checks, talk about Piloswine as well; Ampharos relying on BoltBeam coverage can't even scratch it.
This is good work. My biggest issue with the content was clarification troubles; most of the analysis is easy to understand for most NU players as well as experienced general Pokemon players, but a newer player looking to get into the meta might not catch on so easily. If you refine the clarification issue, I think you'll bacome a really good analysis writer. Make these changes and then I'll give it a final glance before approving. Sorry for the delay!

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Should change this to Copyediting

REMOVE
ADD
COMMENT

[Overview]

<p>Ampharos is pretty adorable, but sadly this doesn't translate well for popularity make it popular in battle. It is overshadowed pretty hard badly by Eelektross, who is infamous notable for its mixed attacking prowess and Levitate, and several other NU Electric-types,(comma) who are faster. Despite the firece fierce competition, Ampharos actually has a lot of things that these Pokemon don't. For one, it has the highest Special Attack of all NU Electric-types, meaning its Electric-type attacks pack some good power. It has low Speed but greater bulk than much of its competition as well, allowing it to take hits many other Electric-types would otherwise crumble to, and it is not weak to Stealth Rock like the Rotom formes Rotom-F and Rotom-S, who are also known for being similarly bulky and powerful Electric-types with a punch. Ampharos has a somewhat shallow movepool, but it does has have the exclusive rare Heal Bell, which further takes advantage of its uncharacteristically unusually good bulk. Unfortunately, the its lack of reliable recovery means Ampharos's decent bulk cannot fully be taken advantage of well. Ampharos is an oddball amongst its Electric brethern brethren, but can still be effective.</p>

[SET]
move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set attempts to utilize Ampharos's unique traits, namely its bulk, power,(comma) and Heal Bell, to their fullest. Its decent bulk allows it to take some hits, while its power allows it to easily retaliate back. Packing the strongest Thunderbolt in NU, Ampharos is easily capable of dealing massive damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Hidden Power is used to hit the Ground-types that are immune to its STAB moves. Either Ice or Grass is a viable Hidden Power type for Ampharos to use; the former has greater neutral coverage alongside Thunderbolt and can take on Torterra, while the latter can be used specifically for Seismitoad, a much more common threat. Volt Switch allows Ampharos to keep momentum by taking advantage of the opponent's switches, and still hits hard coming from thanks to Ampharos's high power Special Attack despite being mainly a support move. For the last slot, Ampharos can choose either offensive coverage or a support option. Focus Blast hits Normal- and Rock-types such as Lickilicky and Bastiodon hard and nails Pokemon that can take both Ice-(hyphen) + and Electric-type attacks, resists such as Piloswine and Rotom-F, making Ampharos difficult to wall. Alternatively, Heal Bell is Ampharos's biggest niche as an Electric-type, allowing it to heal off status effects from itself and its teammates, making it the whole team harder to wear down with status.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb gives Ampharos extra power to its attacks, while Leftovers grants Ampharos survivability. Ampharos still competes heavily with Eelektross in terms of wallbreaking, but does trade mixed attacking prowess for slightly more power and speed Speed as well as status resilience being able to take status attacks if Heal Bell is used. Signal Beam can be used over Focus Blast or Heal Bell, preferably alongside Hidden Power Grass to net the best overall coverage with each other, but misses out on Grass / Poison-types. The Speed EVs allow Ampharos to outspeed uninvested base 65 Pokemon such as Alomomola so Ampharos can take them down without hassle. Alternatively, an EV spread of 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe outpaces minimum Speed base 70s such as Mantine, but they aren't quite common enough to justify the loss in bulk the majority of the time. Timid with maximum Speed can outspeed things such threats as Mandibuzz, Misdreavus, Gorebyss,(comma) and Jolly Carracosta, but loses out on both power and bulk, two of Ampharos's greatest traits advantages.</p>

<p>Choice Specs can be used to allow Ampharos to hit like a nuke without taking recoil, but Choiced Choice-locked Electric-type attacks are easily taken advantage of and it Ampharos cannot make use of Heal Bell as effectively. Ampharos's partners should be able to take advantage of its holepunching capacity to punch holes in the opponent's team capabilities; fellow special attackers such as Charizard and Jynx appreciate Ampharos weakening bulky Pokemon such as Probopass and Musharna for them,(comma) while physical .(remove) Physical attackers such as Primeape, Swellow and Golurk like having Alomomola, Metang,(comma) and Mandibuzz out of the way.(full stop) ,(remove) Primeape even boasting boasts U-turn,(comma) which allows it to gain the switch advantage maintain momentum and forms a VoltTurn core with Ampharos's Volt Switch.</p>

[SET]
name: Specially Defensive
move 2: Heal Bell
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Volt Switch / Focus Blast
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Ampharos's decent bulk allows it to take a more defensive route, letting it serve as a strong check to special attackers such as Charizard, Jynx,(comma) and Eelektross. Thunderbolt is the main STAB move, and that can deal solid damage even with no investment in Special Attack. Heal Bell wards off status from itself and its teammates,(comma) hence increasing and itself that would otherwise reduce its survivability. Toxic wears down most bulky opponents that would otherwise sponge Ampharos's attacks easily, most notably Ground-types. For the last slot, Volt Switch allows Ampharos to maintain momentum to prevent the opponent from taking advantage of easy switch-ins on its uninvested attacks, whereas Focus Blast is a strong neutral option against Ground-types as well as the Electric-types that Ampharos walls.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Even with Focus Blast, Ground-types remain huge problems, especially Golurk. Thus, Grass-type or Flying-type partners are recommended;(semicolon) while Ampharos resists the Flying-(hyphen) and Electric-type attacks aimed at for them,(comma) they are capable of switching into Ground-type moves with little trouble. respectively; Tangela and Mandibuzz being are decent options to consider. Regirock can be a viable partner in case Charizard becomes too much to handle, while the compounded shared Ground-type weakness can be covered with the aforementioned Grass- and Flying-type partners as well as Alomomola. Speaking of which, Alomomola makes a great partner by taking physical hits and providing Wish support to make up for Ampharos's lack of reliable recovery, while Ampharos takes on Electric-types and provides Heal Bell support for Alomomola. Discharge could be used to spread paralysis, but it can clash with Toxic against targets which you'd prefer to be poisoned. If Discharge is used, Toxic may be replaced with Hidden Power Ice to nail Grass-types and Golurk, but without investment it won't do too much.</p>

[SET]
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 4: Heal Bell
item: Light Clay
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set complements Ampharos's stat placing of being slow but bulky stat spread very well. Access to Dual Screens dual screens, good bulk,(comma) and a slow Volt Switch are a perfect recipe for optimal setup conditions for most sweepers, especially offensive setup sweepers on hyper offensive teams,(remove) to come in and wreak havoc. Light Clay is the iteam item of choice to extend the duration of Screens the screens, lengthening the amount of time your sweepers can take hits while setting up. Heal Bell allows Ampharos to further support its teammates, in case status screws up a sweep on an important sweeper.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Ampharos can face competition from faster Dual Screeners dual screen users, such as Serperior and Gardevoir, who both of whom can get the appropriate Screen screen up before taking damage and also know Taunt, while Ampharos can struggle to get both Screens screens up and Volt Switch away. Ampharos does boast the benefit in its of a slow Volt Switch, taking the hit for its teammate while and then bringing it in for free, while Serperior has no such option and Gardevoir only has Memento or Healing Wish,(comma) both of which sacrifices involve sacrificing itself. A specially defensive spread may be used, but this set optimizes prefers well-rounded bulk as Dual Screens the dual screens are doing the heavy lifting in terms of taking hits. If you don't like Heal Bell, then Safeguard can go in the last slot as a final act to set the stage, protecting the setup sweepers from status. Hidden Power Ice allows Ampharos to be able to fight back against Ground-types, but this set isn't really meant to fight back. Instead, setup sweepers that can set up on Ground-types and/or or Grass-types, such as Serperior, Sawsbuck, Drifblim,(comma) or Misdreavus, can deal with them, making are advised as excellent partners. The support Ampharos provides isn't discriminate isn't limited to these recipients though, as Ampharos practically lays the red carpet for setup sweepers to do their thing.(full stop) ;(remove) Scolipede, Swoobat, Linoone, Jynx, Samurott, Carracosta...(ellipsis) all of these threats do very well when .....can all do work if the damage they take is halved.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Agility is a cool option to allow for Ampharos to outrun foes while maintaining its superior bulk over other Electric-types, but almost every relevant Scarfer Choice Scarf user outspeeds it after a boost and it usually doesn't have enough power to sweep foes. Zap Plate boosts Ampharos's Electric-type moves without reducing its HP and undermining its bulk, but its coverage moves become noticeably weaker. Magnet Rise can be used to dodge Ground-type moves whereas Cotton Guard boosts Ampharos's Defense to take Ground attacks and other physical moves better, but the common issue they share is that Ampharos doesn't really have the moveslots to spare for these without leaving it wide open to other threats. Rain Dance + Thunder can be used, but faster Electric-types such as Rotom-S do this better. Ampharos has Power Gem, which strikes nothing bar Shedinja harder than its main options. Thunder Wave or Cotton Spore can slow down opponents, but Thunder Wave clashes with Toxic, and Ampharos has Agility anyway for if you really wanted to outspeed threats. Ampharos has an interesting physical movepool consisting of Wild Charge, Fire Punch, Bulldoze, Brick Break, and Outrage, but Luxray and Eelektross utilise use physical moves better. Body Slam is can be used for an alternate form alternative source of paralysis, but you still can't touch Golurk.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Ground-types pose a huge threat to Ampharos, destroying and can destroy it with their STAB moves; Golurk is noteworthy for being immune to Ampharos's STAB moves and Focus Blast, while Golem has Sturdy, Seismtoad Seismitoad only fears Hidden Power Grass, Piloswine takes a pittance from Electric + Ice coverage, while and Camerupt isn't weak to anything Ampharos commonly carries. Grass-types make for excellent switch-ins provided they do not take too much damage from anything bar short of a Choice Specs Hidden Power Ice; with this in mindRoselia, Vileplume,(comma) and Calm Mind Serperior can get the upper hand easily. Specially bulky Pokemon such as Lickilicky, Audino, Munchlax, Regice,(comma) and Eviolite Dragonair can tank its hits, but must be wary of Focus Blast, or Hidden Power Ice in Dragonair's case. Ampharos fears Ground-type moves, but note that it can survive most unSTABed Ground attacks not backed by STAB, such as Sawsbuck's Nature Power or Kangaskhan's Earthquake.</p>

<p>Its low speed Speed and lack of reliable recovery makes Ampharos easier to check than counter, though note that a healthy Ampharos can survive a most powerful attack attacks, so revenge killing is not easy. Taunt from the likes of Serperior, Skuntank,(comma) or Misdreavus stunts the majority of defensive Ampharos, though other users such as Samurott and Mandibuzz obviously need to watch their step. While Heal Bell allows Ampharos to cleanse itself of status, its meager 8 PP means that repeated statusing use of status can still work on Ampharos provided the status user can withstand Ampharos's assaults. Powerful attacks usually 2HKO Ampharos, so keep up the offensive pressure on Ampharos to lessen the damage it can do to your team or the support it offers to its teammates.</p>

Whew

GP Approved 1/2

Punchshroom make sure to switch your thread prefix to Copyediting when you enter the GP stage using Thread Tools in the top right corner of the page. I went ahead and edited it for you. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)