Pokémon Ampharos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, the main pokemon that resists both STABs, Ferrothorn, is no longer a problem, so it frees up your move pool a little bit. The main pokemon that you have to worry about is probably Florges

252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 102-121 (28.3 - 33.6%) -- 96.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 210-248 (54.6 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Other pokes like Whimsicott can cause problems, but its not like whimsicott can do much back to you
What I find is that HP ice is essentially irrelevant at this point, with Bisharp, Cofagrigus and Florges, Mega-Amphy is given ample room to romp around and cause MAJOR problems. But unfortunately, Gardevoir is still the main threat, closely followed by Diggersby.
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Ampharos: 440-522 (114.5 - 135.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO (just added this to show that you have no hope of ever taking a hit from this monster)
252 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Diggersby: 386-456 (103.2 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Diggersby will usually be faster, and earthquake doesn't miss like Focus Miss.

252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Ampharos: 278-330 (72.3 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gardevoir: 156-184 (56.1 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 308-366 (80.2 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 117-138 (42 - 49.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Gardevoir laughs at mega-amphy. There just aren't enough stats he can boost to handle her. You either get specially defensive, and tank 1 hit, or go specially offensive, and die. Florges is the main Partner here, sponging a hit, and hopefully throwing a Toxic back. That's the only saving grace. Maybe casting a wish as Gardevoir faints and trying to recover the momentum lost with Amphy. That's one lucky scenario that your opponent doesn't switch out to save additional toxic damage and take out florges.

Opposing Florges isn't a problem with proper team support, and if Toxic is added to the offensive threat, it leaves her having to aromatherapy, leaving you to hit more often. All Whimsicott can do is stall you-- leech seed, maybe sleep or toxic, all of which can be taken rather easily, and (if you're running HP ICE, hit back hard) with Florges as a teammate, taken out rather nicely.

To be honest, I really think my "Clean-up Crew" set works the best for Mega-Amphy.

However, I'd like to edit the EV a little bit. I added a bit of Special Defense, just to ease the pain a bit, As Mega-Amphy will often be taking a hit on the way in. Modest and 100 Special Attack brings it up to a cool 430, which is still enough to do major damage to a team.

Clean-Up Crew V2.
252 HP/ 100 Sp Att / 156 Sp Def
Modest

Thunderbolt
Dragon Pulse
Focus Blast
Toxic/HP Ice

However, it's all about how you want to use mega-amphy. If you don't need Amphy to take special hits at all, then invest all of it in special attack, but be warned that despite it's amazing bulk, that it will be hit... alot. It's typing doesn't do it many justices, and if you can keep it from getting trapped by Ice and Fairy, crank the Special Attack all the way up.

Again I cannot stress enough the power of teammates. Bisharp and Florges are more or less musts. The former posing Fairy and Ice threats, as well as threats to Specially defensive walls, and the latter keeping Amphy (and in turn, bisharp) alive to do their jobs. I recommend a revenge killer, something fast like Choice Scarf Darmanitan or Hydreigon to take out any serious threats, and then let Amphy carve away like a drunk lumberjack with a couple of chainsaws. If you plan properly, and cut away the major threats to Amphy, you can finally see why Jasmine-- a steel type gym leader in Johto-- even loved this monster so.

I don't have mega ampharos at the moment, but I would give one the moves dragon pulse, thunderbolt, Focus Blast, and either electric terrain or power gem but open to suggestions

I run an agility set with 3 offensive moves in Focus Blast, Thunderbolt and Dragon Pulse. It is insane in lower tiers.
I've found that that works as well, as long as you can sponge two hits, and afterwards don't face anything faster than a base 90.

Now Ampharos has access to Heal Bell again what do people think of it as an offensive cleric pivot? whether that would be any good at that, or stick to what its all ready got?

Now Ampharos has access to Heal Bell again what do people think of it as an offensive cleric pivot? whether that would be any good at that, or stick to what its all ready got?
In my experience, if you're looking for a Volturn cleric pivot, Lanturn is where it's at. He's also much faster than Ampharos.

In my experience, if you're looking for a Volturn cleric pivot, Lanturn is where it's at. He's also much faster than Ampharos.
Aren't the resistances,and greater bulk(i assume) and slower Volt switch enough to make him stand out and get something in for free?

Aren't the resistances,and greater bulk(i assume) and slower Volt switch enough to make him stand out and get something in for free?
Depends what you need. Lanturn is great for taking a special hit like Ice and Water (water especially) and has higher HP to take a status for a turn. Mega-Ampharos, though weak to more things, is resistant to 6 things, one more than Lanturn, and 2 of them being different than Lanturn. Lanturn is better for dishing out Will-o and quickly turning out, and just happen to have heal bell, while Ampharos (if you want it as a cleric) will take more hits, deal some hits and has a cleric.

Edit: I meant scald. I'm dumb.

Last edited:
Depends what you need. Lanturn is great for taking a special hit like Ice and Water (water especially) and has higher HP to take a status for a turn. Mega-Ampharos, though weak to more things, is resistant to 6 things, one more than Lanturn, and 2 of them being different than Lanturn. Lanturn is better for dishing out Will-o and quickly turning out, and just happen to have heal bell, while Ampharos (if you want it as a cleric) will take more hits, deal some hits and has a cleric.
It's such a shame that Ampharos doesn't get any moves to increase his self preservation outside of rest.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
lanturn doesn't get WoW (though it does have scald)

The best set to run on ampharos in my opinion is
Agility
Thunder
Dragon pulse
Focus Blast

No matter how neat it bulk looks its not very good at taking hits unless you pump a whole lot of ev's in is defenses. The best option i have found was to pump it all in its special atack in speed in a modest nature and sweep with agility.

What are some good teammates for Mega-Ampharos? Assume it's a bulky pivot set (so either rest-talk or not), I'd be guessing Rotom-H (fairy, ice resist and a ground immunity sans Mold-Breaker, meaning you'd need something for Exca and Kyurem B).

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What are some good teammates for Mega-Ampharos? Assume it's a bulky pivot set (so either rest-talk or not), I'd be guessing Rotom-H (fairy, ice resist and a ground immunity sans Mold-Breaker, meaning you'd need something for Exca and Kyurem B).
A team of Togekiss, Tentacruel, and Ampharos-M could be good, from a defensive-core viewpoint alone. Togekiss is immune to ground (Tentacruel and Ampharos' weakness) and dragon (Ampharos weakness), Tentacruel resists fairy (Ampharos weakness) and ice (Togekiss weakness and Ampharos weakness), and Ampharos resists electric (Togekiss and Tentacruel weakness). The only unresisted weaknesses are rock and psychic, but other teammates can check those.

That core is ripped apart by some common coverage options though. Bolt-Beam and Edge-Quake both screw over the whole core, off the top of my head.

Ampharos pairs well with a lot of Steel types, who for the most part resist Ampharos' Dragon, Ice and Fairy weaknesses. Careful about stacking the ground weaknesses though. Skarmory, Scizor, and Bronzong work well, each requiring a 3rd pokemon to cover every weakness but they make good starts.

Ampharos, Skarmory and a bulky-ish water like Azumarill or Rotom-W could work well. Every weakness there is covered, though weak to various combos depending on what you pick. A faster, frailer pokemon like Greninja or Infernape could also do well since Ampharos gives slow safe switches to it.

Meanwhile, Ampharos+Bronzong needs a Dark type to resist Bronzong's weaknesses, preferably one that doesn't bring a Fighting or Bug weakness since those aren't covered by Ampharos or Bronzong. Mandibuzz works well.

Ampharos and Scizor work very well together to fire off slow, powerful U-turns and Volt Switches. The only weakness left not covered is Ground, and immunities to that are a dime a dozen. Ampharos and Scizor can work well in one of those Talonflame + Staraptor cores, giving both of them free switch-ins off Volt Switch, U-Turn and enemy ground attacks.

Ampharos, Skarmory and a bulky-ish water like Azumarill or Rotom-W could work well. Every weakness there is covered, though weak to various combos depending on what you pick. A faster, frailer pokemon like Greninja or Infernape could also do well since Ampharos gives slow safe switches to it.

Meanwhile, Ampharos+Bronzong needs a Dark type to resist Bronzong's weaknesses, preferably one that doesn't bring a Fighting or Bug weakness since those aren't covered by Ampharos or Bronzong. Mandibuzz works well.

Ampharos and Scizor work very well together to fire off slow, powerful U-turns and Volt Switches. The only weakness left not covered is Ground, and immunities to that are a dime a dozen. Ampharos and Scizor can work well in one of those Talonflame + Staraptor cores, giving both of them free switch-ins off Volt Switch, U-Turn and enemy ground attacks.
Ampharos and Skarmory and Rotom-W would make a solid core, and yea, having a fast frail sweeper like Infernape or Greninja would be great (leaning towards Greninja simply because Ground/Fire types would target the first two most likely).

I'm not so sure about Bronzong, simply because what does Bronzong really offer here? Rocks, screens (assuming you're running Levitate)...which aren't bad mind you but yea.

The Scizor+Double Bird core would be very interesting. Definitely gonna look into that as well. A spinner/Defogger would be critical. I'd lean towards a defogger simply because Excadrill/Starmie/Tentacruel are all weak to EQ or Electric moves, which will be aimed at the double-bird core. The Lati twins might be a good choice.

Depends what you want to run it with. A Trick Room Mega-Ampharos needs Trick Room Support, while a different Amphy needs different support.
Skarmory and Ferrothorn are both great options, with excellent defense, resistance to Amphy's weaknesses, ability to set up rocks/spikes and ability to use steel attacks, they make a great core.
A wish passer like Blissey or Florges also makes for a great partner, allowing Amphy to take more hits, and last longer.
Scizor works really well, with defog, Bullet punch and an offensive threat, really sets fear into the eyes of those in front. Zebstrika is right. Listen to him.
Togekiss can work, but I probably wouldn't.

Depends what you want to run it with. A Trick Room Mega-Ampharos needs Trick Room Support, while a different Amphy needs different support.
Skarmory and Ferrothorn are both great options, with excellent defense, resistance to Amphy's weaknesses, ability to set up rocks/spikes and ability to use steel attacks, they make a great core.
A wish passer like Blissey or Florges also makes for a great partner, allowing Amphy to take more hits, and last longer.
Scizor works really well, with defog, Bullet punch and an offensive threat, really sets fear into the eyes of those in front. Zebstrika is right. Listen to him.
Togekiss can work, but I probably wouldn't.
Seems like both the sets on the OU analysis (Rest-Talk and Tank) would work both in and out of TR (unless I'm mistaken). For a TR team, what do you think would synergize well (TR setters or otherwise?)

Running Skarmory and Ferro would probably be a bit much, but as you said, Scizor is also a great option (although Skarm's EQ immunity is nice, the offensive pressure Scizor gives is notable).

As I said earlier Bronzong synergizes pretty well with Ampharos and a dark type like Mandibuzz, and it's probably best off setting trick room and hazards for Ampharos.

ice, bug, or fire types?
Oops, I meant what you really want to hit...and most of the notable fire or ice typs take more damage from STAB or Focus Blast anyways. And those Bug typs will either take neutral damage thanks to steel typ or die to t-bolt anyways thanks to flying typing besides Volcarona.

Don't think I've seen anyone use this set, but hey, what the heck.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Rest Talk can work really well on Amphy-Mega, actually. didn't steal this set from Dun nope

It's bulky enough to take hits and then Rest them off, and Sleep Talk to get damage off. 2 moves that are STABS aren't that great, if you have other options go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)