1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

An animated battle for you!

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Cartoons!, Nov 2, 2007.

1. nardd

nardd

Hey Cartoons!

Just thought I'd step in and say how cool the game looks! Keep up the project please, we would all like to play it :]
  2. Gooey Kablooie

Gooey Kablooie

This game is looking insane Cartoons! I would sell my soul for your talent.

Also, the facial and hand gestures of Fidgit are just golden. :)
    But, I'm waiting for Arghonaut, he's my fav CaP and I just can't wait to see him.

As always, keep up the amazing work!
  3. JaizeStar

JaizeStar

cartoons your stuff is always really cool i liked them alot
  4. Cartoons!

Cartoons! !!!
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Alright, I've dropping videos for a long time...a very long time, now. Which is why I'm so happy to finally be able to announce that

CAP Battle has been released!

You can download it directly from here.

I've put up a rudimentary website that goes over the controls here.

And finally, you can check out myself getting to the second level in Syclant's arcade run on Youtube here.

So please enjoy this game, play some matches, upload some vids. If you want to challenge me to a match online, send me a PM. If you want to play against other people online, remember that to host, you need to allow your router to be open to Port 7500, UDP.

If there's enough public interest, I'll probably continue to update with new characters (CAPs 7- next), new stages, music, better graphics etc. Maybe even host a tournament in the near future...
  5. Namso

Namso
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

Fantastic Cartooons!!

I just downloaded it, but it seems that it's not working for me. Is there any way I can play this on a Mac? I really want to try this out.
  6. The Other Doug

The Other Doug

Cool! Unfortunately, I can't seem to play it. :pirate: I downloaded it, and unzipped all of the files, but I can't play the game itself. Any ideas for help?
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed

I am also having problems.

I opened the game, but it just leads me to a shoddy battle-esque sign in menu

I can't click anything...

Cartoons!: All he files are in the same folder. I tried pressing buttons but a cursor didn't appear. I'll try again.

EDIT: Got it working! Turns out I wasn't pressing a command button.
  8. Cartoons!

Cartoons! !!!

Hmm..all the files are in the same folder too?
    I'll try downloading it myself, though I've already gotten confirmation that the download works.

As for the title screen...heh...yeah, maybe I'll change that. It's just a regular game screen that's meant to look like Shoddy. Just press any button (any of the movement or command buttons)) and the cursor will appear allowing you to select either Arcade mode or Versus mode.

Remember, you can change the buttons to whatever you like in the options menu.

Fuzznip, I'll see what I can find out about this sort of game being playable on Macs.

edit: or is there a problem unzipping it? If so, I'll see if there's any other way I can get the files across without using Winzip.
  9. Elegy

Elegy

OMG Cartoons this game is really cool!

Its working absolutely fine for me right now.

If anyone is having trouble with the title screen, just press a few keys and that should move it along.

Question: Why are there people making out on Arghonauts stage?

And +rep to you for using Mystery Dungeon music, you just nostalgia-bombed me into submission
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed

A quick question: What do the following letters mean on the keyboard: DEF, ABV
  11. Cartoons!

Cartoons! !!!

I'm not sure what you're referring to.
    The default button settings are WASD to move and IJKL for the attacks.
  12. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

Woa, this is quite fun. Fidgit looks awesome... but I'm finding him somewhat poor at fighting. Maybe I just suck.
    Pyroak on the other hand is a beast.
    edit: How do you grab?
  13. DeDeBrawlz

DeDeBrawlz

Wooot, finally it's out. Great so far, although could you explain more thoroughly how to play online? I'm not really sure... Also how do you change it back from fullscreen ._.
  14. Dracoyoshi8

Dracoyoshi8 weapon of mass seduction
    is a Contributor Alumnus

This game is absolutely amazing! The animations are clear and they flow wonderfully. Fidgit's animations are hilarious, and Argh's cry is clear as crystal. The back stories are great as well. It might be my keyboard, but I've been having trouble pulling off Oak's and Gem's super attacks. Other than that, i haven't had any problems. I would say it is worthy of console realease! Excellent job!
  15. Cartoons!

Cartoons! !!!

Ah yeah,
    "E" activates your ability. "A" "B" "V" are light, medium, and strong hits respectively. Grab by hitting "A" and "B" at the same time.
    http://ivnbvn.com/capbattle/index
    For controls.

To play online:

Make sure the game is not on.

Start up Lunaport.

You can either Host of Join a game by exchanging IPs with the person you want to play, or you can host a game in the lobby and have the other guy look for you there (much simpler I find).

To host a game, you need to make sure your router can access Port 7500.

Once you connect to someone, the game will launch automatically. At this point, don't alter the menus or it might fuck up pretty bad. Host has First player controls, person joining has second player controls, so set up the controls before you start up Lunaport.

I'll probably host a few games later this afternoon to get people used to the system.
  16. HD

HD

Amazing Cartoons! It's an amazing game. I also had a little trouble withh the openening screen, but that's mostly since you don't use a cursor.
  17. Golbez_743

Golbez_743

This...is awesome. This might become a regular thing for me...
  18. Pink

Pink

It says I can't download it... can you host it somewhere else?

EDIT: got it to work. If anyone else gets this message, just refresh a couple times.
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed

Is it me, or can CPU-Pyroak use his special moves without needing to charge up? I could swear that he was just standing there, and then all the sudden he used Wood Hammer. Normally that move would require him to be ducking for at least a few seconds.
  20. Truthi

Truthi

ok first impressions...

like a guy said great fluid animation, the first thing I worried about when hearing about this was that the game would be stiff, and the actions would be too.

backstories just played pyroaks and thought it was hilarious well done humour.

really like the attention to all the fighters, and really enjoying it so far, can't wait to play some people got to get used to controls first.
  21. Cartoons!

Cartoons! !!!

You got me. As of now, the cpu does not need to charge a move in order to get it to come out. It's cheap, I know, and I'm still trying ways to fix it so that it at least gives off the appearance of a break in action before Pyroak uses Wood Hammer.

Also, thank you everyone for your comments. I've made a thread here where you can discuss the game or ask for help. I've also detailed the online process a little further. So I guess this can revert back to being my rather inactive art thread.

Thanks again for the feedback, guys.
  22. TVboyCanti

TVboyCanti

I love how much depth you put into the engine with only three attack buttons. Very inspirational. How long did it take to make it on your own?

And can you point me to any good tutorials on Fighter Maker? Google hasn't turned up anything useful.
  23. Lord Blood

Lord Blood

I'm definitely going to download it, but your art is just fabulous. Draw some more.
  24. DKG

DKG

Cool stuff. However, Salamence should beat Empoleon. Try Dragonite and/or Tyranitar and/or Metagross
    EDIT: My bad, hadn't seen Nite
  25. Zacchaeus

Zacchaeus
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Wow these are really entertaining, good job

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)