An awful lot of switching.

Introduction Nobody Reads
With good reason!

Relatively new to fifth gen, but not a complete newbie to competitive Pokemon in general, I decided to make a team. So I did. I played with it, changed some stuff, made some different teams and did a whole lot of other stuff which is probably of very little interest to you. Also, please do me a favour and ignore every other post I've ever made up to this one. I only reused the account because I rather like the name.

Building a Team
As dull as it sounds!

I started with a classic combination, Jolteon and Gyarados. Everyone knows to hit Jolteon with Earthquake in much the same way everyone knows to kill Gyarados with Thunderbolt. These facts have been hardwired into the brains of mankind since the dawn of time, and it's become something of a cliché to take advantage of the situation. Regardless, I find that they work quite well together. Volt Absorb undoes any Stealth Rock damage if, heaven forbid, my opponent managed to get a pile of the things up.

Next, I added Gengar. It was at first a SubSplitting build, this being what I believed you kids to be using these days, and I was firm in my belief that it could break walls. It probably could, but it didn't get much chance, for reasons discussed later. To continue, then came Mamoswine. He added another Electric immunity which, coupled with Gengar's immunity to Ground, created a symmetry which soothed my disturbed mind. Furthermore, Gengar had a lucky immunity to Fighting and Toxic, two things people tend to throw at my poor, sweet Mamoswine.

Reuniclus looked rather cute, and added some much needed Special bulk, so he got a free pass. Murkrow was my final addition to the team, largely because I found the idea of this little guy being at all viable in a competitive setting absolutely hilarious. Again, I think they may work well together. FeatherDance on a physical sweeper allows Reuniclus to switch in, Calm Mind up, and cause low-key havoc.

Actually playing the game revealed that my Gyarados was rather frail. I took his Life Orb away and added more bulky EVs. Disable took the place of Pain Split, with a Black Sludge instead of another Life Orb, and I've never looked back. SubDisable Gengar deals with many of the threats (by which I mean "Conkeldurr") that Mamoswine seems to bring out, the poor old thing, and nobody ever seems to expect it, for reasons completely unknown to me.
Without much further babbling on, here are the sets I currently use. I shall provide a brief overview of how I use my guys ingame, and then explain my probelm at the end. For this reason, feel free to skip the next bit. I would prefer if you at least skimmed it, though.

Meet the Team
As if you care!

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock/Roar

While Mamoswine was intended lead, I find myself using Murkrow more often than not. Priority Taunt is damned useful, and Mamoswine functions very well later, using his surprising power to take chunks out of enterprising stally tanks, or priority Ice Shard to slay set up Dragons. Except Dragonite. Bloody Multiscale. I think the trait is set to "Snow Cloak", largely because I couldn't be bothered figured out what offence I had unwittingly committed against the server rules.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance

Intimidate chosen over Moxie to buff those poor defences. It was tough, as Moxie is a much sexier ability, and the times I've tried it out have been either uneventful or satisfyingly brutal.
Alas, I chose the sensible option. Ice Fang and Earthquake were taken over Bounce, because I feel that shaky accuracy combined with a turn in the air constitutes an unreasonable risk. The moves chosen provide solid enough coverage for me.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch

Pretty standard set, not much to say. Volt Switch rocks.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Disable

SubDisable is a ridiculously fun set. Gengar's multiple immunities allow it to shut down many Fighting-type sweepers, as well as Toxic-stalling walls. Standard stuff.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Psyshock is great for Calm Mind wars, and the rest is utterly standard. A lot of people are apparently yet to realise that Reuniclus is a) immune to Toxic, b) immune to Leech Seed, c) unfazed by most physical attacks and d) in possession of significant power for something so ridiculous in appearance. I get a lot of free turns from people cunningly granting my Reuniclus immunity to status.

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Toxic
- FeatherDance
- Taunt
- Roost

Standard Taunt and Destroy set. I've been leading with this thing a lot, due to the fact that my old Fourth Gen "strategy" of smashing opposing leads to a pulp with Mamoswine seems to be less viable nowadays. I honestly can't think why.

How You Can Help
Seriously, I really suck!

I have experience an astounding amount of success with this team (which is to say, I've experience some success with this team) but several problems have been hounding me relentlessly. The first of which is that dumb little poser, Ditto.
Actually, all set up sweepers are a bit of a hassle, but due to priority Taunts and quite a bit of power at my hands with no set-up required, they generally don't get a chance. Physical ones can be phased out with FeatherDance, special ones can occasionally be soaked up be Reuniclus but the absolute worst thing of all is someone coming along and sending out a scarfed bastard and stealing my stat boosts. Roar would be great, but the only slot available is on Mamoswine, and Stealth Rock, as has been alluded to earlier, is a real boon in dealing with Dragonite. For this reason, I've tried to run Focus Sash on Mamoswine to guarantee a Roar, however, this cute little stratagem fails more often than not due to my other problem.

Stealth Rock. Admittedly, it isn't the terror it was immediately after it entered the competitive metagame but, given the high level of switching a team like this is likely to want to take advantage of, it just takes one misjudged Taunt to ensure that the rest of the game is an absolute pain in the bollocks.

So, you, dear reader, can assist me by informing me of ways I can solve these and any other problems that you spot. Please and thank you.

Also, a word about nicknames: this business of naming your Pokemon after your favourite characters in some obscure Anime series in the hopes that someone will notice and then you will, finally, have made a connection with an actual human being is just rubbish. My Reuniclus is not named "Thomas" because Thomas is a character in a piece of media I cherish, but he is named "Thomas" because Thomas is a good name for a Reuniclus.

This team looks easy to wall have you considered anything that could be mixed? Maybe an infernape instead of mamoswine? He hits hard with close combat and gets stealth rocks as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)