1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

An offense full of kinks

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Dinosaurs, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs

After a few hours of testing this team on showdown this team has its highs and lows.

[​IMG]

Espeon @ Leftovers + Magic Bounce
    Timid
    252 HP 252 Spe 4 Sp ATK

1. Calm Mind
    2. Baton Pass
    3. Psychic
    4. Stored Power

Espeon is my lead, mainly due to Magic Bounce. Stored Power has been pretty much dead weight on here. Perhaps HP Ice? The main reason it is my lead is because I planned to baton pass the calm mind effects to any one of my special sweeps. this has been beneficial in some cases, but in others (if the opposing lead has shadow ball for example) is a wasted pokemon. As I said before it works about 50% of the time.

[​IMG]

Gengar @ Life Orb + Levitate
    Timid
    252 Sp Atk 252 Spe 4 HP

1. Pain Split
    2. Shadow Ball
    3. Substitute
    4. Focus Blast

One of my favorite pokemon. This set, like Espeon has had its benefits...especially with pain split. Substitute always breaks after just one turn and hasn't been as useful as I had hoped it to be. Shadow Ball has been a lifesaver against psychic types. Painsplit may not alway be the best man for the job, but has been a niche move.

[​IMG]
    Dragonite @ Leftovers + Multiscale
    Jolly
    252 HP 72 Def 60 Spe Def 124 Spe

1. Substitue
    2. Dragon Dance
    3. Outrage
    4. Roost

Dragonite has been one of the most stable pokemon on this team. Sadly, substitue always breaks before I can get a dragon dance in. Dragonite is bulky enough to take a couple of hits and get one or two dragon dances off and heal itself with roost before outrage runs rampant. Dragon moves and ice are problematic for dragonite, but also for 1 or 2 others on the team.

[​IMG]
    Cloyster @ Leftovers + Skill Link
    Adamant
    160 HP 252 Atk 4 Def 92 Spe

1. Toxic Spikes
    2. Rapid Spin
    3. Icicle Spear
    4. Rock Blast

A solid teammate in my opinion. Can handle some big threats between icicle spear and rock blast. Rapid spin takes care of the hazards and can then lay its own down. Usually the hazards come in after I take out one of their pokemon and am forced to cloyster. It can be a little fragile sometimes, but has also won one or two games for me since the moves hit 5 times.

[​IMG]
    Heatran @ Air Balloon + Flash Fire
    Timid
    4 Def 248 Sp Atk 4 Sp Def 252 Spe

1. Fire Blast
    2. Earth Power
    3. Stealth Rock
    4. Hidden Power Grass

By far the most reliable pokemon on my team. Hidden power grass handles tyranitar with ease. Stealth rock is another entry hazard, but the real damage comes on the one or two calm mind baton pass from espeon. this thing becones a tank that can put a nice hole into a team. Earth Power hasn't been as useful as hidden power or fireblast, but is a decent move to have, though I wouldn't mind replacing it to test it out.
    [​IMG]
    Jolteon @ Life Orb + Volt Absord
    Timid
    4 HP 252 Sp Atk 252 Spe

1. Baton Pass
    2. Thunderbolt
    3. Substitute
    4. Hidden Power Ice

Another common switch from the baton pass. Substitute was supposed to be a safe haven while hidden power and thunderbolt did the damage, but substitute has be breaking too quick. after the initial baton pass jolteon SOMETIMES can get his baton pass off and then the effects of calm mind have a third recipient.

This team seems to have a hole for ice which has been a problem. And dragonite is a threat. In one match it decimated the team, though in the end I won, I still don't want it to be that close. Also I think that substitute is a weakness on the team as I can use it and it rarely takes 2 hits which leaves me with nothing but 25% of my HP down. I went against 2 rain dance teams and struggeled. 1-1 against rain.
  2. ganj4lF

ganj4lF Nobody is safe from the power of science!
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Okay, this team has a number of problems.

First of all, I don't really see a strategy behind your team. It looks like you just threw together five offensive pokemon and an utility one (Cloyster) without thinking much on their synergy. You dedicate two team slots to hazards control, basically (let's face it, Cloyster and Espeon won't be able to do much more than that, the first has terrible typing and special bulk, and the second is easily taken down in a number of ways thanks to its general squishyness and inability to threaten broad classes of pokemon) which is redundant. You use two Pursuitable pokemons, and one of them even gives free switches to TTar (and CBTar can OHKO everything on the switch if SR are on the field...). You carry no Choice Scarf users, or any kind of checks to faster pokemons; if something happen to set up a Dragon Dance or whatever kind of speed boost, youre pretty much screwed (example: Rock Polish Landorus, that only have slight problems with Gengar but can destroy pretty muche everything else).

The second one is weaknesses to very specific threats that can be relevant in this metagame. First of all, Tyranitar, that was already mentioned. Scizor also stands out, since it can switch for free into Espeon and U-Turn freely, chipping down your team gradually (or just Pursuit away if you don't Baton Pass for some reason). Weavile can OHKO everything bar Cloyster, which is 2HKO'd after very little residual damage; you can outspeed with Jolteon, sure, but that's hardly a solution when it's OHKO'd on the switch by LO Ice Punch. Keldeo can cause you pretty big troubles especially if Scarfed: your only resistance is DNite, that can be taken down via Ice moves. Politoed can do the same, both Scarf and Specs sets will be painful to face.

The third one is the use of plain bad sets or pokemons. Dragonite absolutely does not want Outrage in a SubDD set, since it will be extremely easy for Steel types to come in and just whittle it down while it could easily Roost with Dragon Claw (and stall out those Gyro Balls). Cloyster's only use in OU is in conjunction with Shell Smash; for spinning it's worse in almost every aspect compared to Forretress. CM Espeon wants a Hidden Power for coverage, typically Fire, Fighting or Ice; using only Psychic attacks allow all of those Steel types to come in freely and cripple the Baton Pass receiver with either powerful attacks or status moves.

I'm sorry if this sould harsh, but I think this team is quite impossible to fix without changing half of the members or something like that. I think you should take a look at Battling 101 program, that will help you better understanding common threats and strategies in OU, and to improve your team building skills. I hope my post was useful to some extent, even if I did not give any specific advice for your team.

Good luck!
  3. Gronkspike9348

Gronkspike9348

I think you have a start, buy may want to reconsider some pokemon and moveset. One thing I have for you to try is a shell smash set for cloyster, as it is not only a fantastic set but will fix your tyranitar weakness. I would recommend focus sashing it, so it can get one guaranteed shell smash off, after which it will be fast enough to strike first nearly every time. Once shell smash is used, sweeping is a breeze. I would recommend this set
    -Shell Smash
    -Icicle Spear
    -Rock Blast
    -Hydro Pump

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)