An OU Warstory

I enjoy reading other people's warstories, so I thought I'd have a go at writing one. This is from an OU Ladder match; I've changed my opponent's name to Bob, just in case they don't want their team revealed. (If you're fine with having it revealed and you read this, I can change it back!) It came down to a pretty close finish, and had some nice prediction and a minimum of hax; and maybe you can point out parts where I could have played better! (This game is a learning experience...)

Without further ado, my team:

It's kind of stallish in nature, I guess. Ideally I try to get rocks and Toxic Spikes down, get a sandstorm going and hopefully setup and sweep with Cradily; just see if my plan comes to fruition!

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Soul Dew Clause
Showsni sent out Hippowdon (lvl 100 Hippowdon ?).
Bob sent out Hecatonchires (lvl 100 Metagross).
Hippowdon's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
A sandstorm brewed!
100% - 100%

So, I'm facing a lead Metagross. It's almost certain that it'll start with Stealth Rock in my experience; so I've got a free turn to either switch, set up my own rocks or attack. Switching would be kind of pointless; Hippowdon's about my best counter anyway. Much as I like rocks, I decide to go for the Earthquake here. It's unlikely to kill but it should leave him weak enough to be picked off, and getting rid of Metagross would help my rock types later on.

Hecatonchires used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Hippowdon used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Hecatonchires lost 66% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
(The sandstorm rages message henceforth removed)
100% - 34%

As I thought. Now, Metagross is facing death by Earthquake; but not before it gets an attack in! And that's probably going to be...

YounhaJjang has entered the room.
lacerta has entered the room.
Showsni switched in Rotom-h (lvl 100 Rotom-h).
Pointed stones dug into Rotom-h.
Rotom-h lost 12% of its health.
Hecatonchires used Explosion.
It doesn't affect Rotom-h...
Bob's Hecatonchires fainted.
Rotom-h is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Rotom-h lost 6% of its health.
Rotom-h's leftovers restored its health a little!
Rotom-h restored 6% of its health.
(Rotom-h's sandstorm and leftovers henceforth removed)
88% - 0%

Showsni 6 - 5 Bob

Yep, Explosion, which Rotom laughs off. I think Rotom was a pretty safe switch here; it's immune to Explosion, and if he didn't blow up it resists Steel moves and can kill it back. So, what's coming in?

Bob switched in Black Burn (lvl 100 Rotom-w).
YounhaJjang: this is gonna be good

A Rotom mirror match! The oven stares down the washing machine! Now, he's seen my leftovers so he probably has a good idea what kind of Rotom I'm running; thus, presumably, his Rotom is set up to outspeed and do major damage. I don't plan on sticking around to find out!

Showsni switched in Forretress (lvl 100 Forretress ?).
Pointed stones dug into Forretress.
Forretress lost 12% of its health.
Black Burn used Shadow Ball.
It's not very effective...
Forretress lost 42% of its health.
Black Burn is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Black Burn lost 6% of its health.
Forretress's leftovers restored its health a little!
Forretress restored 6% of its health.
(Forretress' leftovers henceforth removed)
52% - 94%

Yowch. Yeah, I need my Rotom to counter several things I have difficulty with (it's useful for Scizor, Breloom, Machamp...). Foretress is certainly more expendable, and it resists the expected Shadow Ball. Hopefully I can get my spikes up too! At least, that's my thinking. Seeing how much damage Rotom does to it, though, I decide it might be best to try and get some hurt back. His Rotom hasn't taken life orb damage or leftovers recovery, so I'm guessing it's choiced; scarf or specs? Either way, another Shadow Ball like that shouldn't kill Foretress. It's payback time!

Bob switched in Patchouli (lvl 100 Latias ?).
Forretress used Payback.
It's super effective!
Patchouli lost 72% of its health.
Patchouli is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Patchouli lost 6% of its health.

58% - 22%

Doing major damage to Latias is fine by me! Right, stay in or switch? I'm kind of scared of what Latias will do, and Forretress is my most expendable member... Sorry, little guy.

Patchouli used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Forretress lost 58% of its health.
Showsni's Forretress fainted.
Patchouli is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Patchouli lost 6% of its health.
0% - 16%

Showsni 5 - 5 Bob

So, hidden power fire. And I can assume Latias is choiced; scarf or specs, again! Either way I have the perfect revenge killer.

Showsni switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar.
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health.

Now, he dies to pursuit either way. Shame I'm not running it really. If he is scarfed, he'll probably know pursuit kills him whatever and stay in to at least do some damage with hidden power fire...

Bob switched in Lucifer (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Tyranitar used Crunch.
Lucifer lost 25% of its health.
88% - 75%

Okay, so I guess he predicted I wouldn't pursuit. Or at least gambled I wouldn't. Crunch does a little damage, but Ttar ain't winning this war. Run away!

Lucifer used Swords Dance.
Lucifer's attack was sharply raised.
76% - 75%

Rats, he safely got a swords dance. No choice items for this Scizor! Guess I should have realised that he'd be unlikely to have three choice users; but in any case, staying in with Ttar wouldn't have helped, so I didn't really have an option here. Well, this Rotom is designed to beat Scizors, so it's all good.

Bob switched in Patchouli (lvl 100 Latias ?).
Rotom-h used Overheat.
A critical hit!
Patchouli lost 16% of its health.
Bob's Patchouli fainted.
Rotom-h's special attack was harshly lowered.

76% - 0%

Showsni 5 - 4 Bob

Bye bye Latias... I can only assuming he was sacrificing it to get the Sp. Att drop and a free switch in. Pretty sure that crit was unnecesary, especially after sandstorm damage.

I don't particularly want to sacririce Rotom. Now, Ttar resists shadow ball and crunches back, but he'll probably be expecting that and might know hydro pump. Cradily in a sandstorm is a pretty good special wall regardless, though, and one he can't afford to let set up.

Showsni switched in Cradily (lvl 100 Cradily ?).
Pointed stones dug into Cradily.
Cradily lost 12% of its health.
Black Burn used Shadow Ball.
Cradily lost 23% of its health.
Cradily's leftovers restored its health a little!
Cradily restored 6% of its health.
(Cradily's leftovers henceforth removed)
71% - 88%

Unless he's lucky enough to get some Sp. Def drops Cradily can just sit here cursing and resting now; but I'm sure he knows that. Since I've seen Scizor he'll most likely switch to it... So, I could switch straight to Rotom to counter it. Unless, of course, I'm overpredicting and he stays in. Hm, if Rotom stays in I should try to curse up; if Rotom switches out to Scizor I should switch to Rotom. What to do?

Cradily used Rock Slide.
Lucifer lost 27% of its health.

77% - 48%

The middle option! Rock slide isn't going to hurt Scizor much, but it's better than wasting a curse. And if he doesn't switch I haven't sacrificed by Rotom to no avail.

Okay, Cradily can't face Scizor; so, probably best to go straight back to Rotom. Unless he predicts that and goes straight back to his own Rotom! No, I don't think that's likely. But just in case, I'll go for another middle option.

Showsni switched in Hippowdon (lvl 100 Hippowdon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Hippowdon.
Hippowdon lost 6% of its health.
Lucifer used Bullet Punch.
Hippowdon lost 25% of its health.
Lucifer lost 10% of its health.
Hippowdon's leftovers restored its health a little!
Hippowdon restored 6% of its health.
(Hippowdon's leftovers henceforth removed)
75% - 38%

Hippowdon can take a bullet punch, roar away swords dance, and probably KO with earthquake. If I'm lucky, I might even get a chance to stealth rock! I shouldn't think Scizor will stay in, though. But I can easily get rid of his best Hippo counter and stack up some sandstorm damage!

Bob switched in Slowking (lvl 100 Slowking ?).
Hippowdon used Roar.

81% - 38%

He has a Slowking.

Hippowdon used Roar.
Bob switched in Tiamat (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
Tiamat's Intimidate cut Hippowdon's attack!
Tiamat is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Tiamat lost 6% of its health.

87% - 94%

He has a potentially hydro pumping Rotom, and he has a Gyarados. Okay, three Pokémon Hippowdon doesn't want to tangle with. Kind of wishing I'd got my rocks up at the start, but at this point we're probably going to have to make do without them...

Now, he'll most likely either taunt to stop Hippowdon's shenanigans, dragon dance to become scary, or waterfall to go for a quick KO. Since I've been spamming roar I don't expect a dragon dance; I think he'll either taunt or go for a quick waterfall. If anyone on my team can take a quick waterfall, it's this one!

Showsni switched in Vaporeon (lvl 100 Vaporeon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Vaporeon.
Vaporeon lost 12% of its health.
Tiamat used Waterfall.
Vaporeon's Water Absorb absorbed damage!
Vaporeon restored 13% of its health.
Vaporeon is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Vaporeon lost 6% of its health.
Vaporeon's leftovers restored its health a little!
Vaporeon restored 6% of its health.
(Vaporeon's sandstorm and leftovers henceforth removed)
100% - 88%

Perfect! I got Vaporeon in and he fully healed me! Um, I got Vaporeon in, but can it actually do much damage?

Tiamat used Dragon Dance.
Tiamat's attack was raised.
Tiamat's speed was raised.
Vaporeon used Ice Beam.
Tiamat lost 26% of its health.

100% - 56%

That'd be a no. Oh dear. Nothing on my team can really take a dragon danced attack... I guess Vaporeon's going to have to do as much damage as it can before dying.

YounhaJjang: no rocks?
Tiamat used Earthquake.
Vaporeon lost 54% of its health.
Tiamat lost 10% of its health.
Vaporeon used Ice Beam.
Tiamat lost 22% of its health.
Bob: water absorb healed him to full so it didn't show.
46% - 18%

Okay, I guess I should have wished earlier. Sorry Vappy.

Tiamat used Earthquake.
Vaporeon lost 46% of its health.
Showsni's Vaporeon fainted.
Tiamat lost 10% of its health.
0% - 2%

Showsni 4 - 4 Bob

Dang. He survives with just enough health to take something else out. Why couldn't both ice beams have done 26%? Okay, time to take one for the team...

Showsni switched in Cradily (lvl 100 Cradily ?).
Pointed stones dug into Cradily.
Cradily lost 12% of its health.
Tiamat used Ice Fang.
It's super effective!
Cradily lost 64% of its health.
Showsni's Cradily fainted.
Tiamat lost 2% of its health.
Bob's Tiamat fainted.
0% - 0%

Showsni 3 - 3 Bob

Cradily takes the hit for the team. Sorry Cradily. Sorry Vaporeon. The life orb and sandstorm damage catch up to Gyarados and it keels over. Thinking about it, I probably should have sacrificed Hippowdon rather than Cradily; I've already seen Rotom-W and Slowking that give Hippowdon a lot more problems than they give Cradily. Hippowdon is better against Scizor, but I have Rotom for that. Let's hope I don't pay too badly for that mistake...

YounhaJjang: no i mean
YounhaJjang: on your side bob
Bob: Oh no he didn't get rocks up.
YounhaJjang: yeah

Yeah, as they say, I didn't. Kind of late to think about it now, but I decide to send Hippowdon back in, hopefully facing Scizor.

Showsni switched in Hippowdon (lvl 100 Hippowdon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Hippowdon.
Hippowdon lost 6% of its health.
Black Burn makes ground moves miss with Levitate!
Hippowdon used Earthquake.
Hippowdon's attack missed!
87% - 82%

Yeah, Earthquake probably wasn't the smartest move. It might be late for SR, but they would at least have helped a little. What to do now? I need my Rotom for Scizor; and if anyone's going to finish off the rest of his team, it's Ttar. Sorry Hippowdon. You've been good.

Black Burn used Hydro Pump.
It's super effective!
Hippowdon lost 88% of its health.
Showsni's Hippowdon fainted.
0% - 76%

Showsni 2 - 3 Bob

I take the gamble that this is specs Rotom. Okay, it's not much of a gamble; I saw how much damage it did to Forrestress, after all. That means Ttar outspeeds, so...

76% - 76%

Crunch is pretty predictable here, I guess. Also predictable is a switch to Scizor. Thus, I could stone edge and do more damage... But does stone edge kill Rotom? With my luck, stone edge misses and kills nothing. Bah, I'll just be predictable.

Tyranitar used Crunch.
Lucifer lost 25% of its health.
76% - 13%

Well, that was predictable. I wonder if he can predict this?

Lucifer used Bullet Punch.
Rotom-h lost 16% of its health.
Lucifer lost 10% of its health.

47% - 13%

Yep, the return of the oven. He had a chance to get swords dance in here, or switch straight back to Rotom, but he didn't; maybe he thought that I'd stay in with Ttar and KO with another Crunch. But I really can't risk Ttar; all my hopes now ride on using it to finish off his final two. Scizor dies here whatever happens.

Bob: Lol i think i'm going back to CB scizor soon.
Bob: atleast i have pursuit then.
YounhaJjang: sd scizor is bad
Lucifer used Bug Bite.
Rotom-h lost 26% of its health.
Lucifer lost 3% of its health.
Bob's Lucifer fainted.
Rotom-h used Shadow Ball.
But there was no target!

YounhaJjang: far better sd sweepers in ou
20% - 0%

Showsni 2 - 2 Bob

Now, we come full circle as the oven faces the washing machine once more! We've come a long way to get here. Does my bulky Rotom outspeed his specs sweeper Rotom?

Black Burn used Hydro Pump.
Rotom-h lost 20% of its health.
Showsni's Rotom-h fainted.
0% - 70%

Showsni 1 - 2 Bob

No, of course it doesn't! That would be silly. I see he goes for hydro pump to put the hurt on Tyranitar. A miss would have been sweet for me there, but no matter. Time to crunch things up.

Tyranitar used Crunch.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Black Burn lost 69% of its health.
Bob's Black Burn fainted.
64% - 0%

Showsni 1 - 1 Bob

Did I need that crit? (Runs damage calcs) No, I don't think so. Okay, right down to the line!

Bob switched in Slowking (lvl 100 Slowking ?).
YounhaJjang: and scarftar proceeds to own wuth cruch

But does it? Is Slowking bulky enough to survive a crunch?

Tyranitar used Crunch.
It's super effective!
Slowking lost 81% of its health.

Yes. Yes it is. Well, is Ttar bulky enough to survive a surf?

Slowking used Surf.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 59% of its health.
Slowking is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Slowking lost 6% of its health.
Slowking's leftovers restored its health a little!
Slowking restored 6% of its health.
4% - 19%

The answer... yes, it is.

YounhaJjang: with
YounhaJjang: gg
Bob: Slowking is so useless.
YounhaJjang has left the room.
Showsni: gg
Tyranitar used Crunch.
It's super effective!
Slowking lost 19% of its health.
Bob's Slowking fainted.
4% - 0%

Showsni 1 - 0 Bob

Showsni wins!
Bob: gg

His team:

Phew, close one! Okay, round up time!

Hippowdon! Hippowdon set up the sandstorm, and scouted pretty much his whole team with Roar. It also pretty much KO'ed Metagross. It served as a sacrifice to the mighty Rotom-W.
Total damage dealt: 144% to the enemy, 48% friendly fire KOs: 0 Assists: 1 (Metagross)

Forretress! Forrestress did major damage to Latias, effectively neutering it before going down in a blaze of fire. It failed to do its jobs of setting up and removing entry hazards, but for taking out Latias I can forgive it.
Total damage dealt: 72% KOs: 0 Assists: 1 (Latias)

Rotom-H! Rotom was stellar, swapping in and out, avoiding a nasty explosion and threatening Scizor. It finished off the injured Latias and let Scizor and Metagross kill themselves whilst it watched on.
Total damage dealt: 16% KOs: 1 (Latias) Assists: 2 (Metagross, Scizor)

Vaporeon! Vaporeon was somewhat squandered; it helped finish Gyarados off, but couldn't do much damage or aid the rest of the team. More wish passing next time, please!
Total damage dealt: 48% KOs: 0 Assists: 1 (Gyarados)

Cradily! Cradily was also somewhat wasted before the might of Gyarados. it did at least force Rotom-W to switch out; but had Hippowdon died to Gyarados instead, it could potentially have done much more.
Total damage dealt: 27% KOs: 0 Assists: 1 (Gyarados)

Tyranitar! Tyranitar was the undoubted star of the match, finishing off the game and crunching everything to death.
Total damage dealt: 219% KOs: 2 (Rotom-W, Slowking) Assists: 1 (Scizor)

All in all, I was really helped by residual damage, even though I didn't manage to get any entry hazards up; Scizor, Metagross and Gyarados all ended up killing themselves.

That was a nice read. Not the most interesting battle, but certainly a lot above average. The comments were good as well. Run HP electric!

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
This was an okay battle, but the comments were really lacking. When you're writing a warstory, think "Less log more commentary."

I thought this was written really well, I enjoyed the comments and the round up at the end of the match. Good warstory!

Not a bad battle. I did like your commentary and you definitely have potential to do great warstories.

My biggest issue was definitely not taking the turn to setup stealth rock early on... you'd have had a significantly easier time with his team, had you done it. And I figure Metagross would have exploded anyway.

The battle was alright, and the presentation was great. And as the above poster said, you should definitely have set up Stealth Rock early on. After all, Stealth Rock is the most broken move in DP OU.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Excellent warstory.

Fantastic comments and decent comments. The ending really came down to the wire too.

8/10

Nice comments, though you didn't want to take any risks, whcih i really found annoying. The match ended well, however, and no Major Hax.

8 out of 10. What would have happened had you sacked hippo instead of Cradily? And "Bob" had better switch back to Banded Scizor. SD didn't help him there. Lastly who is this "Bob" ?

Get rid of the nicknames please. It is so annoying to ready warstories with those included. Otherwise decent battle, if a little less than the most interesting confrontation ever.

Just one tiny nitpick, Vaporeon could have used Protect to stall out Gyarados with sandstorm, leaving cradily alive to do...whatever =P

Otherwise, good first warstory.

overall a good warstory. the comments were really good, and the battle was ok. not to much beyond a standard one, but it's pretty good for your first. keep trying and before long you'll be one of the better warstory writers, all you need is a really good battle

i thought the end where you showed how much damage each pokemon had done was really cool. overall pretty good warstory

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)