Another D/P simulator... on Mirc!

Yep, seems like another DP sim popped out of nowhere. Interesting thing is that this one is Mirc-based, just like Fanha's bots were, trying even to stay close to the original syntax of the commands, and such (! num attacks, # num switches, etc.).

Items aren't working yet, though, and only Single Battles are possible. Other than that, the moves seem to work as expected, and there are a few cosmetic mistakes (read: flavor text) left to iron out.

Anyway, it's located on irc.dejatoons.net @ #battlearena, in case it also picks your interest. And no, I didn't make it, I just happened to "stumble upon" it lol. It's been written using FreeBASIC btw.

Now this gets me wondering, how many more sims are to appear in the future? First it was that Shoddy thingy, and then this...

This might be nice for a D/P sim. The problem with all the Competitor arguments (for me, personally, as I doubt the majority of people will really have this problem) is that I have a Mac, and at the very least NetBattle wasn't compatible with Mac (or so I was told), so I don't expect Competitor to be compatible with Mac either.

So this is decently good news for me if I ever try out an online simulator, as Shoddy Battle seems...well, for lack of a better term, shoddy, and I can't get Competitor to work on this PC. I can run this using irc and the only faults it seems to have at the moment are lack of items and no double battles (fine by me, considering I usually never compete in double battles to begin with).

Of course, I've always got WiFi, and I'll probably just stick with that as my primary battling medium.

This might be nice for a D/P sim. The problem with all the Competitor arguments (for me, personally, as I doubt the majority of people will really have this problem) is that I have a Mac, and at the very least NetBattle wasn't compatible with Mac (or so I was told), so I don't expect Competitor to be compatible with Mac either.

So this is decently good news for me if I ever try out an online simulator, as Shoddy Battle seems...well, for lack of a better term, shoddy, and I can't get Competitor to work on this PC. I can run this using irc and the only faults it seems to have at the moment are lack of items and no double battles (fine by me, considering I usually never compete in double battles to begin with).

Of course, I've always got WiFi, and I'll probably just stick with that as my primary battling medium.
I've had the same problem as you. But...mIRC works on Macs? I've gotton other IRC clients, but I thought for some reason that mIRC was Windows only.

Or does this sim need mIRC? Can you do it on another IRC program?

I've had the same problem as you. But...mIRC works on Macs? I've gotton other IRC clients, but I thought for some reason that mIRC was Windows only.

Or does this sim need mIRC? Can you do it on another IRC program?
Well, I'm using Snak at the moment, which seems to connect fine to every other irc client (unless every single person in the WiFi Tournament #1 were all using Macs and had Snak as their irc client). So I'm not entirely sure if the client itself will make a difference

But then, I'm certainly no expert in irc or anything like that. I'm just going under the assumption that because it can connect just fine to other irc clients, including most likely mIRC, then anything that would be possible on mIRC would work fine for Snak or any other irc client. I could very well be wrong =/.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
NetBattle was programmed solely in Visual Basic, which is why is wasn't compatible with Macs. Competitor, on the other hand, will be programmed in C++ and be cross-platform.

NetBattle was programmed solely in Visual Basic, which is why is wasn't compatible with Macs. Competitor, on the other hand, will be programmed in C++ and be cross-platform.
And this is why I should probably avoid commenting on things that I'm not well-versed in D=.

But this news makes me happy. If that's the case, go Competitor I say, though this might be good in the meantime (provided it works for other irc clients besides mIRC. I've been wrong once on my assumptions in this thread, now it's even more likely that I'm wrong with my other one).

Matt

Maybe monads might not matter
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
And this is why I should probably avoid commenting on things that I'm not well-versed in D=.

But this news makes me happy. If that's the case, go Competitor I say, though this might be good in the meantime (provided it works for other irc clients besides mIRC. I've been wrong once on my assumptions in this thread, now it's even more likely that I'm wrong with my other one).
It's not even possible for a bot like this to work only on mIRC. mIRC is just a client that can interpret the IRC protocol. So don't worry!

Thunderstone, perhaps you should just read the info provided about Competitor in NB/Competitor first before commenting on it.

Anyway, I'm so checking this out. RS Bots were by far the best things ever for online Pokemon.

Alright, I just lost my first battle in a full 6-0 against Surgo. I blame my team and Jackal of course, but it was fun as shit. Couple of kinks to work out but from what I hear, it's better than ShoddyBattle.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd love to battle, but I can't seem to login - I'm not getting that DCC Chat the bot is supposed to send, I think...

Would anyone who has successfully done this please write a quick guide to getting it to work?

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
sounds pretty awesome, i'll have to give it a try soon.

also, competitor will be able to run on macs. that's what i've heard. i don't know why you'd think it wouldn't.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
It's still got a lot of glitches... like Stealth Rock not actually doing damage, or Gyro Ball doing too much damage against a slow opponent (even with a CH, as Dan Dan found out), or some Pokemon not getting the right moves.

It's not hard enough to warrant it's own guide. I suck with stuff like this and it took me no time at all to figure out how to make my team and battle, I just had to ask. But once you get the commands and how they function it's pretty easy.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this is awesome i beat mekkah xDDD

and then lost to AJC. Sure there are a few kinks but it sure is refreshing to finally be able to battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)