1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Anti-Metagame: What Pokemon can stand up to weather conditions?

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by Gymdude, May 15, 2012.

1. dragonuser

dragonuser Today, tomorrow, and always with a frozen heart
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

Every pokemon has their niche. If you need a check to Ferrothorn and Gastrodon that can maintain momentum, etc. then Rotom-C is useful. If you have a team weak to Volcarona of course you won't use Rotom-C, but this weakness doesn't make Rotom-C useless. Just because a pokemon is weak to certain types doesn't make it unusable. Just look at Scizor, it has a 4x weakness to fire and can't beat Volcarona and yet it is consistently one of the top used pokemon. Just because X pokemon is weak to Y pokemon doesn't mean its unusable.
  2. Black Rain

Black Rain

Toxicroak is very threatening towards many rain teams, as it can set up on Pokemon that are choice-locked into water-type moves, or just don't have other moves to hit it, and strike back hard with strong STAB moves, coverage, and a solid 106 Base Attack stat. Both SD and Bulk-Up versions are threatening, not to mention the fact that for SD, the Life Orb Recoil is negated by Dry Skin recovery. In addition, Toxicroak is also wonderful as a support Pokemon, oddly enough, as it can absorb Toxic Spikes off of your side of the field, which is especially helpful when playing against Stall, which often utilizes this type of hazard.
  3. Lork

Lork

virizion does well against rain and sand i find, as does gyarados (i run taunt). obvs tran for sun is great fun.
  4. .-Lucky

.-Lucky

i did not put a single weakness to it. My argument is that rotom-w serves his purpose(being a complete all-around counter to most weather) better than Rotom-c. I didnt say that it's useless, i said that i find rotomw to be more useful.

Please dont post against me if you didnt read my first line: " Not my intention to underrate rotom-c"
  5. bubbly

bubbly

Something I've only just got into using, but offensive Expert Belt Aboma is seriously one of the best pokemon I've used recently and it does great against all weather not called Sun. Rain can't hurt it and it can badly hurt them. The standard sand team literally has no switchins which aren't risking an OHKO or 2HKO, and it walls Rotom-W, outruns and OHKO's the standard Tar, etc.
  6. LucaroarkZ

LucaroarkZ

Generally, when it comes to Anti-meta Pokemon that I use, my list is quite small. Choice Scarf Infernape is one I like using; With the boost, Infernape is faster than Modest Choice Scarf Venusaur, and with Stone Edge it can get a heavy hit on other common Sun Pokemon like Ninetales (durr) and Volcarona. Works decently outside of sun as well, although you really need to weaken the opposition in this case because Infernape's Attack and Special Attack without a boost from a Life Orb is actually quite miserable.

This next one is probably incredibly overused by now, but Bulk Up Breloom is great against Volt Turn. Rotom-W can't really do anything to it without HP Ice/Fire, and Seed Bomb after using Bulk Up is really gonna hurt.

I used to use Sableye on teams to deal with the standard stall team, and it was very effective. Using Knock Off on Chansey as it comes in is very helpful when I want *insert Nasty Plot sweeper here, in my case usually Zoroark* to have an easier time sweeping. Plus, priority Taunt is always good.
  7. Daggerfall

Daggerfall

I've found that the physically defensive Tangela set is able to take most Sand teams out because of the amount of physical attackers those teams typically run. It also fares well against Rain teams, but it by no means counters it.

Tangela @ Eviolite
    Regenerator
    Bold (Def+/Att-)
    252 HP/Def, 4 SpD
    Giga Drain
    Sleep Powder/Toxic
    Hidden Power Ice/Hidden Power Fire
    Leech Seed/Knock Off

Despite seeming inferior to Tangrowth, I've been able to wreck Sand with this. Unless you switch Tangela in on an X-Scissor (and maybe Close Combat) from Terra, it can survive the proceeding attack and OHKO with Giga Drain. This is also useful against almost anything with physical attacks that doesn't resist Grass, as Tangela can tank most hits amazingly well. Although even then you could rely on your other moves and Tangela's bulk. Although it doesn't fare so well against special attacks, so not even Giga Drain will help if you're hit by a decently-powered Ice Beam or Flamethrower.

Sleep Powder is for permanently crippling a foe, and Toxic is for annoying foes that Tangela can't take out with its Hidden Power. Sleep Powder is best with Hidden Power Ice, as Steel-types are immune to Toxic. If you're going with Hidden Power Fire, go for whichever suits your fancy. As for Leech Seed/Knock Off, I prefer Leech Seed because it forces more switches. However, Knock Off is useful for removing the hold items of stall teams. Just watch out for hitting a Choiced monster when you're unable to counter it when it can freely switch moves.
  8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck you spin mine head right round right round
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderator

Giga Drain from uninvested Tangela doesn't OHKO Terrakion in sand, even at -1 SpD.

Or even at -2.

Meanwhile,
    So Tangela can't switch into CBTerrakion. I'm not sure if it can even beat Terrakion one on one.
    Terrakion is actually looking like a legit switchin to Tangela at this point, lol.

That said, the reason why Tangela isn't run over Tangrowth is that, while it has impressive defenses and only slightly worse SpA, Tangrowth can actually EV to outspeed certain threats and KO them (such as trolling Scizor with HP Fire), run Leftovers, and use physical attacks.

I mean, Tangela is an interesting mon, but I'm curious as to whether it actually has an edge over Tangrowth in any areas.
  9. Doughboy

Doughboy house of champions
    is a Community Contributor
    Mentor

At one point I used Bulk Up Breloom extensively and I have to say it works against ScizorWash, but I have never beaten a full-blown volt-turn team with it. The standard Volt-Turn team almost always carries a Celebi with it not only to beat up on rain teams but just to counter Bulk Up Breloom alone because it is so popular. Celebi completely shuts Breloom down from anything. You can try to pursuit trap Celebi, but you have to make sure the Pursuiter is slower and can tank the hit, otherwise you might run into some U-turn shenanigans. So really your best bet is running Tyranitar, but when you are running TTar with Breloom you got some bigger problems (imo they don't go so well together).
  10. frogoholic101

frogoholic101

Not my intention to underrate Rotom-W, but Rotom-C seems to be more prepared all-around than W. In fact you are missing a great thing, Rotom Q actually CAN'T check sun teams (can rotom learn rain dance? seems like it could work). If Heatran and Volcarona are an issue you could just pack HP Water.

Yes, you actually check Heatran and Volcarona outside of sun, but then what about Ferrothorn, Gastrodon, grass pokemon and thunderbolt users? (i don't list venusaur or virizion, since both forms have nothing to check them if not packing hp fire).

My point here being that Rotom-W does not check sun teams at all due to nerfed stab, and that they are equally good in sand (although you could argue that C is better due to more accurate and more powerful STAB).

Also:

''My argument is that rotom-w serves his purpose(being a complete all-around counter to most weather) better than Rotom-c''

Except he doesn't do it as well as Rotom-C, who resists Thunders in Rain (unlike Rotom-W) and can deal with common rain pokemon better, and whose stab is not nerfed in Sun. They perform equally well in Sand. The only weather where Rotom-W outperforms is in clear skies.
  11. bubbly

bubbly

The reason Rotom-W is generally better is that it's a safer switch in to Water types (not weak to any of the common Ice coverage), isn't weak to U-turn (and thus is a decent Scizor / Landorus check), and its STAB Hydro Pump gets much better neutral coverage than Leaf Storm (and can be used to sweep). Rotom-C is still a good pokemon of course and will suit some teams better.
  12. frogoholic101

frogoholic101

I agree that it has better resistances and type coverage, I was merely pointing out that in most weather, Rotom-C may have more utility. Of course, every team has other team members, and Rotom-W synergises a lot better with more pokemon, but Rotom-C certainly has a niche of its own.
  13. LucaroarkZ

LucaroarkZ

Actually I've used Ttar and Bulk Up Breloom on the same team (and still do) and while it leaves much to be desired, it's not a terrible combination. I needed something that would work better than Virizion and Breloom was that Pokemon. So, I know where you're coming from, but Breloom can still function on a Sand team.
  14. Asek

Asek Mirror my malady, Transfer my tragedy
    is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Venusaur makes a great check to weather and functions as a sweeper too. I enjoy running this Venusaur set to counter weather teams
    Venusaur @ Heat Rock
    Nature: Modest (+SpAtk -Atk)
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EV's 98HP/ 124 Def/ 128 SpAtk/ 158 Spd
    -Sunny Day
    -Growth
    -Solarbeam
    -Hidden Power [FIRE]
    Although its ususally dies before doing anything besides changing the weather, if switched in on the right Poke youve got a sweep brewing. For example switch into a pokemon on the other team once the weather starter is dead ( The most succesful switch in for me on sand= Terrakion for rain=Ferrothorn/Tentacruel). Set up Sunny Day and then attempt to sweep. Its main job is to get rid of opposing weather but it also counter sun teams and go for a growth sweep.
  15. Arikado

Arikado

[​IMG] @ Occa Berry
    116 HP / 72 SpD / 212 SpA / 108 Spe
    Modest
    - Leaf Storm
    - Earth Power / Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Psychic
    - Stealth Rock

Counters Politoed hard, as it tanks a specs Ice Beam after stealth rock, outspeeds, and OHKO's with Leaf Storm. Not sure how well it would do against a Scarf Politoed because for some reason I never faced any. Works as a check for Conkeldurr even though it can't OHKO. Can set up SR since Celebi is a Pokemon that forces switches. When using Earth Power, use Occa Berry for Heatran. If HP Ice then either Leftovers or Life Orb depending on your preference. Life Orb can be useful against Conkeldurr and Leftovers well, it's Leftovers ffs. Does good in any weather.

Speed EVs are so that he can outspeed Scizor, Tyranitar, and most Jirachi and Celebi. Though it should not stay against Scizor if he's not in the range for Earth Power to KO.
  16. jle1076

jle1076

Frailness + dual weakness to priority makes mamo..not so good
  17. FastFlygon

FastFlygon

Being weak to priority doesn't automatically make something bad... Mamoswine is pretty much the best Ice type in the game, barring maybe Kyurem, and an absolute monster versus more defensive teams. STAB Ice Shard is always a great thing to have, and with a little flinchhax not even Skarmory can stop it. You have to watch out for Rotom-W, but even then it's going to take a chunk from Stone Edge. It's not as though it's hard to exploit Bullet Punch. Use Mamo with Magnezone and protect Gengar or Terrakion or something and exploit that steel weakness to the max!
  18. alexwolf

alexwolf King of Conquerors
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Also Mamo isn't frail in any meaning of the word... 110/80 physical bulk is above average, and 110/60 is around average.
  19. royzizzle

royzizzle

Altaria@dragon gem
    252spatt, 252 speed,4hp
    cloud nine
    draco meter
    power swap
    roost
    thief

start off by firing off the draco meteor, then depending on the switch in, use power swap or thief. This set trolls weather teams as nobody expects it.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)