Anti-Metta FTW!!! Weatherless OU Team (Peaked #7 on PO)

What's up smogon! Today I have a very stange anti-metta team that for some strange reason had a high peak. I made this team around october of 2012 and it peaked at rank 7 in early November. I wasn't going to make a RMT due to the stange sets and effectiveness on the ladder many people had asked why I used certain pokemon, sets, how it was laddering so high, and if they could get the sets and try it out. I simply got tired of people asking so now that the team is retired I figured I could make a RMT trying to explain all of the questions, and give the team to people that want to use it, and i'm sure there's always those people that can take some of the sets and Idea's I used with this, and improve it and have an even higher peak. While reading through this keep in mind this was made in a metta where every OU player and his mom used genesect in their team, also keep in mind the main reason for a gimmicky team like this being so effective is the unpredictabillity that will be ruined after this RMT. Now for the team...

Oh wait I lied...First to prove (somewhat) that this team was effective I have a picture. I didn't plan on making a RMT of it when I had my peak at 7 back when I first made this team, but I did ladder with it last weekend and peaked at 50 showing it is still fairly effective... http://picpaste.com/Rank_50-4QloXJNK.PNG

Now for the team :)

BreD00M (Breloom) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Alright, I can't remember where I saw this set for the first time, but it raped my team once back in the day so I started using sashed Breloom, and experamenting with it a bit. I absolutely LOVE this set!!! I find it easy to bring him in mid-game with a sash in-tact force a switch go for SD they only have one "Counter" left which can't take me out as I 2hko them and proceed to sweep the rest of the team. I like using him for that mid-game sweep as well as a last resort save agaist stuff that could otherwise sweep my team, such as Rock Polish Genesect, I could bring him in live with sash and spore him to sleep saving my butt many times. Sashed Loom makes breloom more of a utility poke, and make him easier to use, other than that I don't really have too much to say.

Don't Hate (Cobalion) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Justified
EVs: 28 Atk / 228 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Sooooo many people be hatin' on my Cobalion. This set is the best set for any anti-metta team. He gets up rocks easily lures and KO's more gliscor/lando forms then I can Count. Can take a +1 Fire punch from a Dnite and K.O. it with HP [ICE] allowing him to clear so many threats. He makes the best partner possible for a Offensive Latias, just with his overall bulk, and low usage, move pool and typing he makes for another great team player removing some of the main threats for my big time sweeper Terrakion. Thanks to Voltswitch it's easy to keep that offensive momentum, and helps make predicting so much easier. Again like breloom a utillity poke that always seems to take out 1 or 2 pokes, and when everyone on a team can just take out 1 or 2 pokes you will win.

SmartTwin (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Alright, now we all know Latias is the smarter twin. She's got that Bulk, she has that power, and counters a good portion of the OU Metta. Mainly all of those big fighting types like Breloom, Keldeo, and of course on of the most used pokemon Terrakion. Hidden Power [Fire] is there because when I first made this team offensive Latias wasn't overly common like it is now, and most scizor would come on the Draco and stay in to get smashed by the HP [Fire] now this is a standard set and one of the most common on latias so there isn't really much to say. Just again helping the team by removing those fighting times and often times scizor, supporting Terrakion, and being a specail wall helping Cabalion take specail hit, and providing something to tank hits from rain teams.

All-Star (Starmie) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

"Scarfed starmie, that's not to weird...WTF! WHY THE HECK DOES HE HAVE HP [FIRE]?!?!?!?!" Really can't tell you how many times I've heard it, but is doesn't change the fact that this is a surprisingly effective way of removing Scarfed Gen first turn of the game, and Spinning away hazards so fast, they can't even switch to a Ghost type lol, but in all seriousness, I did have Scarfed Espeon here, but I found myself having trouble with Venusaur so I switched it so starmie, and it worked out far better than I thought it would. It really does manage to keep hazards off and it deals with scarfed gen so well. It's very much so a gimmick set, but hey, when you get that early 6-5 lead and have a decent spinner for late game I ain't complaining. The reason why spinning is so important is for both Breloom coming in mid game with a sash, as well as my next poke Tornadus-T.

Phoenix (Tornadus-T) (M) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- U-turn

The great and mighty Phoenix, everytime it goes down, it comes back even stronger, that really does describe this Torndus set well. I have so many times come in early game catch them of gaurd take out 1 or 2 pokes U-turn just to come in again mid game to do a little U-Switching with Cabalion, then again late game to close it out. I like using it, it helps with breloom, a lot of rain teams, and even a lot of sun teams. Very effective set. I mainly like using it for it's great speed and ability to be used throughout the game, not just late game like other bulk-up users. It just works for the team.

TOOmuchPWR (Terrakion) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Okay, now the big boy, the mega threat, the power, TERRAKION!! Terrakion just had Too much POWER. After Removing Scizor, Gliscor, the lando forms, Breloom, and opposing Fighting types, Terrakion comes in a just Smashes and Bashes everything in site. Very standard Double Dancing set, although Rock Polish isn't really a dance, but I'm sure you knew what I meant. Air Balloon is the Item of choice so I can set up all day pokes like tran, or really anything that needs that ground type move to take me out, or someone using and scarfed mence locked into Eathquake, which was extremly common at the time of making the team. After coming in having the counter removed I go for whatever set-up move I need to go for. Rock Polish for Offensive teams that have something to out speed me, or swords dance on slow stall teams. Often times I can get up both and the other person doesn't even have time to say "Oh, crap" before I sweep through his team like a hot knife through butter.

Overall the team was very effective, and almost never lost to someone seeing it for the first time, but that was it's down fall after facing the same couple of players over and over again it lost it's effectiveness and really wasn't able to push past rank 7. Now the team will loose a lot of it's effectiveness, but if you still want to use it, you can import it from here...

http://pastebin.com/3nx3uaYx

So sorry guys, it's up now! and Ik I was previewing it and I hit submit when it was just one pic, and I couldn't find a delete button :/
Understandable, mistakes happen. Anyways, you have quite a solid offensive team.
Suggestions:
  • Your team seems to be very weak to opposing Rain teams. Scarfed Landorus seems to prevent a threat to the team, too. Sure, you have Breloom, but standard Tornadus-T switch-ins to Breloom carry SleepTalk to combat the condition. A way to fix this is a small & simple change of HP(Fire)>Thunderbolt on Starmie. This helps combat the efforts of Water types that wall all of its other attacks. Don't fret about the loss of HP(Fire) on Starmie, you still have Latias with HP(Fire), so you're pretty much covered.
Starmie- IceBeam>Thunderbolt:

Starmie@ChoiceScarf
Trait: NaturalCure
Timid: 252 Sp.Attk/252 Spd/4 Hp
Surf, IceBeam, Thunderbolt & RapidSpin​

• Next, I'd suggest a more effective mixed set of AirSlash/Hurricane, SuperPower, U-turn & HP(Ice)/Taunt on Tornadus-T(@LifeOrb) with a Hasty or Naive nature. This set is very useful for taking out various wall types. SuperPower takes care of everything Sp.Defensive while Hurricane/AirSlash gives Tornadus-T a nice LO boosted STAB that damages foes greatly. Hurricane is prefered for countering rain teams which are constantly rising in popularity. LO+Regenrator is a great straightforward way to abuse its abuse power while taking advantage of its Regenerator ability. Taunt stops foes from setting up, expecting a swtich or just setting up purely out of misprediction. EVs: 252 Sp.Attk & Spd/4 Hp,Sp.Def, or Defense.​
In closing, I hope this helps and good luck with the team! :)​

Hi, there

There are no major weaknesses, however, propose some changes in the moveset of the Pokemon. In for example on Breloom Adamant nature would> Jolly, to increase attack power when attacking, also that goes wrong if attacks per second you can rely on a Focus Sash, but usually for a Breloom Adamant nature so with Focus Sash can go well, usually the Pokemon fall asleep exceed the speed in anyway.
Now I would like to see Tornadus-T, Bulk Up is undoubtedly a good moveset, however, is more suitable to use on Tornadus normal form that the Therian, for several reasons, Tornadus normal form has Prankster makes you attack using Bulk Up for the first time, has more physical attack than Tornadus-T and this means more damage when attacks, has only less speed, which is still great, the 353 allows you to overcome Gengar, Latios, Latias, Keldeo, Terrakion, Landorus etc., the only ones that I come to mind that you may not outrun are the Pokemon Scarf, with the addition of Dugtrio and Alakazam, referred Alakazam is not very common. U-Turn Bulk Up on the set, I find it as a kind of contradiction, there I would see better Taunt for example, to stop the Leech Seed Ferrothorn and use Bulk Up, but also against Chansey and Blissey that could poison or paralyzed while using Bulk Up. So I think that would be the case at least try to see how turn.
For the rest, the team of Latias, Starmie and Tornadus is very fast base, and also use Rock Polish Terrakion on does not seem very useful, I would suggest rather Substitute + Swords Dance with Rock Gem or Salac Berry. The Rock Gem allows different Okho that Terrakion would with Stealth Rock septate (Tentacruel, Gliscor, Skarmory for example) while Salac Berry once killed Pokemon with Priority in the opponent team and made ​​a Swords Dance is very hard to stop, especially if behind Substitute at this point it would be almost impossible to stop him, while the double booster does not give you the complete safety ever since they only needed to Breloom Mach Punch or Bullet Punch Choice Band Scizor, to beat him, the Substitute instead covers you from this and dare to eliminate both. if you want the full power of Stone Edge Rock Gem proof, but if you want to increase the speed behind the Substitute uses Salac Berry.
Good Luck, with your team!

Sets
Adamant > Jolly (for Breloom)

Tornadus (M) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- Taunt

Terrakion @ Rock Gem / Salac Berry
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute

Mosquiton

Tette
Hi there! Nice team!

The first thing that i want notice is that you don't have a decent switch-in on dracometeors so i want suggest to put scarf Jirachi> Cobalion with fire punch, so you have the chance to make a surprise kill on Genesect but also a great ability to revengekilling 'cause you have 60% ​​of flinch rate with iron head.
At this point you don't have the stealth rock, so I suggest to make a small change on Terrakion: Sash Kion with Stealth rock, the two main stab and sword dance.
This set is underrated but is one of the best set for Kion, the sash ensures always to put the stealthrock on the field, but have also the possibility of boost your attack and become a potential Wallbreaker thanks to the presence of the two powerful mainstab.
Now we have to think about Starmie.
Having the spinner with a choice iteam is debilitating because if you be lock on rapid spin you have to make more switches, and this switches can give some possibilityes to the opponent for boosting his Pokémon and create potential big problems for your team.
The set that I'm going to recommend is the standard with the two mainstab: with a bit of scald spam you can burn the opposing team and decreasing drastically the staying power of those who hit it, while psychoshock be able to hit calmind keldeo, Terrakion in sand because the sandboost his special defense and scald don't make a ohko, but also you hit very effectively even amoonguss.
At this point, I suggest two fast change on tornadus: first you should enter Taunt> uturn, in this way you will avoid that skamory or hippo use whirlwind and forcing you to switch, but also to prevent the status move of the others walls reducing drastically your staying power.
The second thing I suggest you insert brickbreak> Superpower: with superpower you'll cancell a turn of bulk up because superpower decrease attack and defence, but with BBreak you can continue to use BulkUp while you attack continuing to increase your statistics and becoming also resistant to the various priority.

Sets:
>ScarfJirachi over Cobalion
>SashKion
>StandardStarmie
>Taunt and BrickBreak on Tornadus

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Scald
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock

PokèManiac Livio

Un panino al salame
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi dude, really cool team, i like much Cobalion, is an interesting underrated pokemon, let s rate it

Well, without doubt a problem could be LOTornadus under rain, that s because your only steel is pretty weak to Superpower/Focus Blast, and your switch are not very safe on it, so my suggestion is to use Rotom-W instead of Starmie. You really don t need a spinner, that s because your only weak pokemon to SR is Tornadus-T that has anyway Regeneration trait and against some stall you already have 2 StallBreaker, Terrakion and Tornadus-T. With Rotom-W you have a bit more bulky against water/rain and have one of the best switch-in for Tornadus-T and scald random that could give problem to Latias from the moment she reiceves already damage by Life Orb. My suggestion is to use a SpD evs spread such as 248/170SpD/88Spd, Modest Nature and a moveset of Will-o-Wisp-Hidden Power Fire/Hydro Pump/Volt Switch/Painsplit, i thought about the use of Chestorest, as a kind of Status Absorber, but i realised that is pretty useless cause you have many entries with him. The Ev spread allow you to outspeed max investiment in Spd by an eventual opponent Scizor, so you can burn it (you also can try Hidden Power Fire, like you used on Starmie).

Now i have only some advices about the sets, because your team is really cool and i don t want to change much more things again. So, first off, Tornadus-T under Weatherless is awesome, but i don t like U-turn, i d suggest you to use Taunt in place of it, that because you can avoid from some status inducer or give not setupp to pokemons that enter on your Superpower, (they usually setupp on forced switch).
I d suggest you to change Latias Evs Spread to 72HP/184Satk/252Spd, you re in a weatherless and with this evs spread you can alive to +2 Sludge Bomb Clorophyll Venusaur or take minor damage by Hydro Pump Keldeo/Politoed under rain, another my suggestion is to replace Surf over Hidden Power Fire, you don t need Fire attack, Surf hit Scizor enaugh good and anyway Ferrothorn and similiar usually are used under Rain Weather.

Double booster Terrakion is a fantastic pokemon but air balloon is passed from the moment Excadrill' s ban from Ou tier and Landorus is used mainly with Sheer Force trait; so my suggestion is to use Babiry Berry instead of Air Baloon, this help you especially when the opponent has Scizor behind and you have a good possibility to setupp, it s useful against Sword Dance Lucario, that after a dance could kill (With Sr) 5/6 of your team.

Hope i helped, and say hello to Alien :)

Tl;dr

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SDef / 88 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Tornadus (Tornadus-T) (M) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Taunt
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Superpower

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Draco Meteor

Terrakion @ Babiri Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4SpD / 252 Spd
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Hi there.
It is a very interesting team, then I appreciate much your Tornadus T set, but I see that you are disadvantaged against Tornadus-T, you have nothing for tank his Hurricanes, Cobalion is 2HKO, Terrakion also and Tornadus-T is 2HKO by Ice Beam of Starmie, then you are disadvantaged against Latios you has nothing to take his attacks, Cobalion is 2HKO by Hidden power Fire and he can't do anything against Latios CM and Latios is 2HKO by Acrobatic Flying Gem of Tornadus-T, Terrakion is outspeed and OHKO by Surf, Latias too, but you're very disadvantaged against Reuniclus CM Bulk, Reuniclus has Recover to heal and after a Calm Mind he 2HKO/OHKO your team and even if you put Starmie to trick the opponent can switch and come after to continue because generally Starmie cannot counter Reuniclus so the trick is obvious, I suggest you Jirachi SpeDef on Cobalion, Jirachi is a very good pokemon for your team, it can easily come on Latios/Latias/Reuniclus/Tornadus-T then it can regenerate with Wish and it can use Stealth Rock also.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Iron Head

Tl;dr
Cobalion--->Jirachi

Hope I Helped and Good Luck With your Team.

Bryce

Lun
Hey,there.It is not hard to see why this team was so successful,you used some unorthodox sets and underrated pokemon very effectively.

I second Leftiez suggestion of Jirachi over Cobalion to help against Tornadus-T and Latios whom you seem to be weak to.I assume that ScarfStarmie must have surprise killed plenty of Tornadus-Ts.But now with the team revealed you'll need surefire ways to deal with them.

Another thing is that you use Life Orb over Air Balloon on Terrakion.This meta,Air Balloon doesn't help Terrakion in setting up much.Yes it will help against occasional scarfLandorus or against Scarf Mence locked into earthquake.But,scarf Landorus has become pretty rare now and scarf mence will be mostly spamming outrage.Life Orb helps you sweep much easier after an RP and lets you get OHKOs on Jellicent,Amoongus,SpDef Celebi after an SD with rocks up.

Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)