1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Anti-Weather VGC 2010

Discussion in 'Past Gen Teams' started by xerograde, Apr 26, 2010.

1. xerograde

xerograde

Edit: Changes in bold.

VGC is back! I'm finally getting back into the Pokemon mood. Last year I did OK in the nationals tournament, missing the final 16 by 1 win. It sucked, but I'm determined to do better. I'll be competing in Arizona this year, so I have a little less than a month to get my pokes up to par. I haven't finished making this team yet, so if you have any suggestions or drastic changes I'm all ears. Here we go:

[​IMG]
    Rayquaza @ Focus Sash
    Jolly Nature
    252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spd
    Dragon Claw
    Extremespeed
    Overheat
    Protect

[​IMG]
    Metagross @ Life Orb
    Brave Nature
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpDef
    Bullet Punch
    Earthquake
    Protect
    Explosion

As the name implies, I plan on capitalizing on Rayquaza's Air Lock ability, ruining numerous setups from the likes of Kyogre, Groudon, et al.

Focus Sash is a must to compensate for Rayquaza's frailty in ubers. Dragon Claw for great STAB, Extremespeed helps in a Trick Room situation or the need for a quick kill, Overheat for Abomasnow, Metagross, and Bronzong. Protect is standard.

Bullet Punch for a priority STAB. EQ can work with any of the 3 other pokes since they are all running protect, but is just great with Ray. Protect if I anticipate a fake out lead or if I want to scout, and if I'm in a tight spot Explosion gives me a bit of an edge, again utilizing protect on any of the 3 other pokes. Life Orb really helps to take it up a notch.

[​IMG]
    Tyranitar @ Iron Ball
    Adamant Nature
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
    Earthquake
    Rock Slide
    Fling
    Protect

[​IMG]
    Mewtwo @ Expert Belt
    Timid Nature
    252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spd
    Aura Sphere
    Ice Beam
    Grass Knot
    Protect

Late-game clean up.

T-Tar comes in with EQ for a great attack that Mewtwo can protect from. Rock slide for a double-hitting STAB, and Fling for a whopping 195 base damage with the Iron Ball. T-Tar also does well under TR.

Mewtwo is sporting Aura Sphere and Ice Beam, with Grass Knot for Groudon and Kyogre. Expert belt for that little extra push.

My ubers may be in a pickle in a TR situation as they rely on speed, but it could really pay off if I play my cards right. Any and all critiques are welcome!
  2. Blooroo22

Blooroo22

I like this team a lot, at glance everything seems good. I love your t-tar set. Don't change a thing.

Mewtwo is good except for lefties. It is so frail and it doesn't have much hp so lefties won't help much. I suggest lum or expert belt.

Ray seems fine.

Metagross seems like it doesn't fit well with your team. I would think of switching it for something else.

Overall, Air Lock is very good and helpful, but i still see a problem with Kyogre. Once you've rendered the rain useless, you don't have much to kill him with. He doesn't COMPLETELY rely on rain.
  3. xerograde

xerograde

Thanks for the reply! I like the expert belt idea. That will probably have a much better payoff. As for Metagross, I might think of something to replace him...
  4. xerograde

xerograde

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I think it makes a lot more sense to replace T-Tar with Meta as a lead. EQ still works great with Rayquaza, Explosion if I anticipate some real problems with opposing leads, Thunder Punch will definitely help with Kyogre, and if the opponent is saving their weather pokemon for clean up it will be nice to gain the upper hand by sending T-Tar out later in the game. Any thoughts on this?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)