(Any Kind of) Investment in Nintendo

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Reymedy

How is a moderator allowed to respond so crudely? I thought this place had a bit of class. Just because your idea sucks and would do WORSE than buying a simple index fund doesn't give you green light to respond like you're 100% correct on a subjective topic.

What the with me being mod ? I cant say things as I think them, unlike the other users ? I have to take gloves to keep you from harm, while you directly attack my posts ? Don't be ridiculous, and don't bring the "mod" thing again please. I'm treated as every other user on Smogon.
And then you say that my idea "sucks" when you don't even understand it in the first place. And that's why it pissed me off to read your post. You don't even understand my approach. Worse, you don't even TRY to understand.
You read some article about finance from Whatever Buffet and you want to show it, thats what your post was all about.
Alright cool, but don't shoot my post down behind your article, if we're not even talking about the same thing.

The point of investing is not to have fun you jackass, it is to make money. There is nothing funny about it. Some people understand value of money. You need to be careful what you recommend. You say is he gona be a broker?! Then you suggest he actively invests and makes monthly statements.

No
you're dead wrong.
The point is not ONLY to make money. The point of my post is not ONLY to make money, the OP is not interested in ONLY making money.
Someone who is 16 shouldnt be interested in ONLY making money.
If you think there's no fun to find in market finance then I'm wondering "why are you posting" ? Why did you read that Whatever Buffet article ? Did you ever study market finance ?
Because honnestly, if you don't see any interest other than money in market finance, why would you have any relation to the subject in the first place ?

You say it yourself "even a monkey could do it". Well, you want him to be a monkey, I don't. I have a more informative approach to offer to the OP. I want him to understand what is going on, I want him to LEARN something from a subject that he seems to be INTERESTED in.Because that's a really good subject to be interested in. It's not everybody who has an growing passion for market finance, I want him to EXPLORE this passion. Not to kill it in the egg by encouraging to act like a market sheep and follow Whatever Buffet guy without understanding why.

I never said actively, if you think that's being active reading newpapers sometimes and checking a bunch of figures every month, then you're a god damn lazy dude and I hope I'm never gonna work with you. If that's how you treat your hobbies, I don't want to see how much time you put in your work.

Also you point out he's not old and isn't saving for retirement. He's young. He has time. That's the formula for building wealth with index. Look at Chou's graph. If the op were to add money to an index each month he'd amass a nice chunk of change and would secure his own future.

Ok.
Here is a missconception.
I'm gonna make it clear.
The dude is not trying to invest his sleeping money to get it back in 50 years.
HE
IS
NOT.
Unless I'm wrong,then by all means, say it Professor Birch. And in this case, just invest in some whatever thing that is good for people going for the extra long term. I thought that you'd be interested in watching how the stocks would go, how the companies related to the stocks would perform, like it is a hobby for so many people, including myself. Maybe I was mistaking.

Your ideas are good. Don't trade often, cut costs, spread the risk. But in his case it's not practically useful. The money he would spend on load fees and online broker costs would eat all of his profits since he wouldn't be investing much to start with. The only reason for him to invest in stocks would be as a learning experience. Just to start an account he'll need $500+. I don't know where you're getting this cute idea that he might invest 100 bucks and lost 20%. Add in your broker fees and load fees and you can go ahead and mark that up to 30%+ loss.

Yea, I assume learning experience at 16 is way more profitable than whatever return on investment an index could offer over a year. And if you don't agree with that, then it saddens me a lot, honnestly.
He already invested in Nintendo's stocks anyway, so you act like it's impossible to invest in stocks for him, when he already could. I'm just saying, why don't you split the money you put in Nintendo in, say, 3 companies with different levels of risk, and then study the evolutions. It's not more complex than that.

Investing in stocks makes sense when you have money to invest AND money to lose. IMHO if you've got 100K in cash then yeah playing stocks makes sense. Playing stocks with small amounts of money is just a waste of time.

Nothing is a waste of time, it's just that you didn't figure out of to take benefit from it quite yet.
since it's drifting away from the subject, I won't reply to what you could possibly add, if you want to go on, PM me.
Especially if it's to say "you're a meanie", or "your idea sucks".
Thanks.

Reymedy
Honestly, I wasn't really sure what to think. I have been interested in buying stock(have $1000 to use) and being the gamer/nerd I am, I thought about Nintendo. What I was trying to do with this is
1. Say I invested in something, cause it just seems to make me have a sense of pride
2. Make a decision on my own
3. Learn about something while taking a chance to make/lose money
Being 16, I clearly have a different mindset than just about everyone else here. I don't have enough knowledge to think about what there is in the future. I don't know if I've clearly said it yet, but Reymedy seems to know what I was trying to do, which really boils down to take a chance from which I will learn no matter what happens.​

Reymedy you're overly stuck on the Buffet Article. That was just a link and I never even mentioned it in my reply. And yeah if you must know I'm a corporate finance major graduating in May.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Reymedy

How is a moderator allowed to respond so crudely? I thought this place had a bit of class. Just because your idea sucks and would do WORSE than buying a simple index fund doesn't give you green light to respond like you're 100% correct on a subjective topic.

The point of investing is not to have fun you jackass, it is to make money. There is nothing funny about it. Some people understand value of money. You need to be careful what you recommend. You say is he gona be a broker?! Then you suggest he actively invests and makes monthly statements.

Also you point out he's not old and isn't saving for retirement. He's young. He has time. That's the formula for building wealth with index. Look at Chou's graph. If the op were to add money to an index each month he'd amass a nice chunk of change and would secure his own future.

Your ideas are good. Don't trade often, cut costs, spread the risk. But in his case it's not practically useful. The money he would spend on load fees and online broker costs would eat all of his profits since he wouldn't be investing much to start with. The only reason for him to invest in stocks would be as a learning experience. Just to start an account he'll need $500+. I don't know where you're getting this cute idea that he might invest 100 bucks and lost 20%. Add in your broker fees and load fees and you can go ahead and mark that up to 30%+ loss.

Investing in stocks makes sense when you have money to invest AND money to lose. IMHO if you've got 100K in cash then yeah playing stocks makes sense. Playing stocks with small amounts of money is just a waste of time.

BanSpecsMachamp

There's no (real) return in short-term T bills. They're better than savings account but you won't really grow your money.
Have you even looked at some of the online brokers these days? Lots of them don't have broker and load fees. All he needs is $10 and a Schwab / TDAmeritrade / ETrade account to make his one trade to buy Nintendo.

As for "not having fun" investing, there's nothing wrong with investing as a hobby. There are certainly worse things in this world to spend money on than shares of Nintendo. Lots of parents used to buy Disney shares for their kids and put the share certificates in the kid's bedrooms to say the kids "own Disney". Disney just stopped printing share certificates, but I think that's what OP is trying to do with Nintendo here. Will he make more money with the index? Most likely, but I see nothing wrong in buying Nintendo just to buy Nintendo.

If you are planning on investing:

1) Brush upon fundamental analysis basics: P/E (price over earnings), EPS (earnings per share), what kind of company is it and why are you investing in it (growth prospects, value, dividends, market sentiment), debt ratio, investment ownership, simple stuff like that. You can find most of these things posted on a single page, like Yahoo Finance or Google Finance...

2) Some technical analysis can help especially with deciding the "when" part of investing, for example resistance and support, over bought and oversold indicators, Japanese candles, etc.

3) Invest in what you understand. You prolly understand VG stocks, Apple, Samsung, Honda, Ford, etc. You can be certain to know when something goes right or wrong, by some complicated stuff like Solar companies, Airlines, Bios, etc. can be tempting on the account of first two steps but if you don't know how they work and what effects them, you will be left in some tough situations.

Edit: I'm a big fan of SNE atm, there's the PS4, the prospect of the new Sony TV thingy, they are cleaning up their electronics very nicely and their worst performing sector, mobile, might finally stop bleeding money because I bought an Xperia Z3 and it delivers so much. Such a company of course can only be bought on the prospect of making a turnover and future growth.

Scottrade:$7 commission per trade, $2,500 account minimum
Tradeking:$4.95 per trade, no acc minimum
E-trade:$10 bucks commission, $500 min
Ameritrade: same as E-trade, $10, $500
USAA: $9/trade
OptionsHouse:$4.75, $1,000 acc min.

No broker works for free.

My whole point was that investing small amounts isn't really practical because of the fees cutting (deeply) into potential profits. I actually love stocks and investing, just don't see it as a game but that's probably because I'm not doing it as a hobby and I can understand 100% where someone would see my posts as negative. I don't mean to discourage the OP.

X5Dragon explained it really well. If anyone needs a resource on valuation PM me and I'll send you some good stuff that'll teach you all the basics to get started.

Scottrade:$7 commission per trade, $2,500 account minimum
Tradeking:$4.95 per trade, no acc minimum
E-trade:$10 bucks commission, $500 min
Ameritrade: same as E-trade, $10, $500
USAA: $9/trade
OptionsHouse:$4.75, $1,000 acc min.

No broker works for free.

My whole point was that investing small amounts isn't really practical because of the fees cutting (deeply) into potential profits. I actually love stocks and investing, just don't see it as a game but that's probably because I'm not doing it as a hobby and I can understand 100% where someone would see my posts as negative. I don't mean to discourage the OP.

X5Dragon explained it really well. If anyone needs a resource on valuation PM me and I'll send you some good stuff that'll teach you all the basics to get started.
I actually opened a Scottrade account with my dad and it is not a 2.5k min. We opened it with 1k perfectly fine.

Someone earlier mentioned holding on to SNES games; this appears to me to be an actually decent idea. I don't know anything about investing in companies and have no short-term plans to do so, but I have some SNES games lying around that have escaped the depreciation hump. As long as you have a rare/desirable game, the price trends up. I bought a copy of Final Fantasy III/VI a few years ago for $36, and when I checked prices recently they were around $60. This is an extreme example, and you shouldn't just go throwing money around carelessly, but it's worth noting that this sort of thing can happen.

Actually, this gives me an idea. I might go around looking for "dead" valuable carts and replace the memory batteries and sell them for a profit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)