ORAS UU Any suggestions welcome.

The Obama Knows team (ORAS UU)
This team utilizes the Mega-Abomasnow and Tyrantrum offensive core to break through a metagame that is full of ground, dragon, and water threats.

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer

Starting off with Abomasnow-M with his monstrous attack, decent bulk and access to priority. Adamant because there is no reason for him to try to be fast because of his base 30 speed might as well go for more damage. Ice shard is a must because it is his main STAB and it gets him past his abysmal speed while taking down flyers, dragons, and ground types. Swords dance to break through walls and it allows him to setup on bulky water types which are prevalent. I decided to go for wood hammer over seed bomb for the 120 base damage and this is obviously a hyper offensive set. Earthquake to surprise steel and fire swaps if possible and all around great coverage.

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Next up is Tyrantrum who is here to catch fire types. Tyrantrum has a 4x resistance to fire which is Abomasnow-M's biggest weakness. I went with jolly/scarf to try to avoid any coverage shenanigas in the form of earthquake. Head Smash is the best STAB that he gets and does a truck load of damage to just about anything. Dragon claw fills in where Head Smash is resisted except for steel types which is where Superpower comes in. Earthquake is there almost exclusively for Doublade because nothing else will do much to it and it's immune to Superpower.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Cross Poison
- Defog
- Roost

After looking at my offensive core I noticed two things. One was that Abomasnow-M is pretty weak to stealth rocks and since I run Wood Hammer he is easy to chip down so entry hazards have to go. Also my team so far has a glaring fighting weakness that needs covered. Crobat fulfills both. He gets access to defog to clear out hazards. Roost and Black sludge help heal him up because he is also weak to rocks. Also his flying/poison typing makes him 4x resistant to fighting and no fighter wants to take a brave bird from crobat (except for maybe Cobalion). Cross Poison is there to hit fairies. Went with bulky set since he could potentially be taking quite a few hard hits from fighters.

Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot

Next up I wanted a scout that could do some pretty serious damage. Infernape has decent speed and with the choice band he hits fairly hard as well. He is first out and if I like the matchup I will go with Close Combat or Flare Blitz for the STAB hits. If I don't like the matchup I will U-turn out of there to do some chip and to fight another day. U-turn also has the benefit of being bug which is 4x effective against Celeby who is really popular right now. Gunk Shot is to surprise fairies if I can get a good prediction but is mostly there for filler. Infernape is one of the mons I am considering replacing because I need to be able to get rid of steel types and his ground weakness makes him susceptible to EQ which almost all steel types run.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball

As you have probably noticed, my team is incredibly weak to rock (with the exception of Tyrantrum) and is completely physical. I needed a special attacker that could deal with rock types and Nidoqueen fits the bill nicely. Also her typing clears away toxic spikes for free which is an added bonus. Earth Power blows through the steel and rock types that are a bane to my team. Sludge Wave scares away fairies like sylveon and whimsicot. Ice beam has great coverage for dragons like mence. Shadow ball is a filler. Thought about putting in T-bolt for gyarados.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Infestation
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball

Last we have the big ? for the team. Cofagrigus is the mon that I've messed the most with. He's bulky and his ability is good for crippling Mega Dactyl by getting rid of tough claws. I went with Will-O-Wisp to burn heavy physical hitters. Infestation to trap in mons and rack up chip while grigus hides behind protect or to allow Abomasnow to switch into a good matchup for him so that he can set up. Shadow Ball is mostly there so that he isn't complete taunt bait and the SpD drops that it can do are really nice when they happen.
Conclusion

This team is fun to play and I have had some success with it. The problem is that it is walled fairly heavily by bulky steel types (Aggron-M, Steelix-M, forretress, etc.). Also Abomasnow is really vulnerable and loosing him early makes the team fall apart a bit since the rest are there to make sure that he can sweep in the end. This team is incredibly vulnerable to burn. If Abomasnow or Tyrantrum get burned it's usually a loss at that point. And finally Mega dactyl is kinda scary to this team. Cofagrigus kinda deals with him but I haven't found a good way around him yet.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hi HeartofOblivion I really love that Mega Abomasnow is getting the love and appreciation it deserves as it is a really underrated Pokemon in UnderUsed. That being said, I have some thoughts on how to make your team more effective so let's get to it! n_n
  • First off, I noticed that you lack entry hazards, more specifically Stealth Rock, on the team. While you could just slap SR onto Nidoqueen over Shadow Ball, I feel like having Crobat and Nidoqueen makes the team pretty weak to Psychic-types and they both stack weaknesses in general. For this reason, Krookodile > Nidoqueen is ideal as Krookodile gives the team Stealth Rock support, a Pursuit trapper, and a Psychic-type check all in one. Krookodile also can outspeed some threats to this team such as Lucario and Entei and still deter them with its Ground-type STAB unlike Nidoqueen, who is slower than both of them and has to receive a hit before dishing out damage. Krookodile also has Intimidate to deter physical attackers and add some defensive utility to the team.

Krookodile @ Dread Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock
  • Next up, Cofagrigus is unviable in the current UU metagame as Sableye does its job a lot better thanks to Prankster and with it being very slow, it is prone to being worn down by a lot of common threats with ease. Furthermore, this team lacks a solid Fire-type switch-in and for that reason, I feel like Milotic > Cofagrigus is the best option here. Milotic has reliable recovery and can punish common Fire-types such as Entei with its STAB Scald as well as become a sort of status absorber and Scald switch-in for the team thanks to Marvel Scale boosting its Defense after being statused. Milotic also sports quite a bit of natural special bulk so the team doesn't lose out on having a sponge for special attacks.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Haze
  • Last but not least, I feel like some set changes need to happen as some of them aren't using the Pokemon effectively. First off, Mixed Attacker > SD Abomasnow allows this team to have a secondary Scald switch-in and gives the initial core itself a better way of wearing down Steel-types as said Steel-types can not only wall the Abomasnow + Tyrantrum core with ease, but are also more likely to take more damage from Blizzard thanks to their normally natural physical bulk. Speaking of, Choice Band > Choice Scarf on Tyrantrum is the more effective item as Choice Scarf doesn't allow Tyrantrum to outspeed other common Choice Scarf users such as Hydreigon and still loses to fast Megas such as Mega Sceptile, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Aerodactyl. Also Outrage > Dragon Claw allows Tyrantrum to break down teams a lot easier since Outrage is more powerful and the locking doesn't really matter since Tyrantrum is Choice-locked anyways. Next up, since Abomasnow's set changed, the team now lacks a solid win condition. For this reason, Nasty Plot > Choice Band Infernape is a solid choice as Infernape can force switches and it gives the team a faster win condition overall. Lastly, Crobat needs to invest in Speed as that is that is one of the many draws of using it as your Defogger. So an EV spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with a Jolly nature is ideal to allow Crobat to be as fast as it can be and hit as hard as possible. Sharp Beak > Black Sludge is a solid option as well to allow Crobat to hit hard with its Flying STAB; this also means you can go U-turn > Cross Poison as most Fairies are going to be hit hard enough by a boosted Brave Bird and being able to pivot allows this team to bring in its threats and potentially overwhelm the opponent.

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 8 HP / 68 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake / Focus Blast

Choice Scarf --> Choice Band
Dragon Claw --> Outrage

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Grass Knot / Focus Blast

252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD Adamant --> 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe Jolly
Black Sludge --> Sharp Beak
Cross Poison --> U-turn

While this may seem like a lot of changes, I truly feel this will allow the team to be as effective as it needs to be to take on the common threats. With that, I wish you good luck! n_n

I like the Krookodile and Milotic changes a lot. Krook is one of my favorite mons and the reason I didn't have him was because I needed a special attacking ground. Never run Milotic but she has been a pain in my butt for so long she can't be all bad.

I agree that if Abomasnow goes without SD that Infernape needs to go NP.

I was thinking about maybe switching Tyrantrum up to the DD set with a lum berry. Burns cripple him and the berry would give him one for free. Thoughts?

The only change I'm not to sure about is Crobat. While I agree that having him be fast is nice, I would like him to be able to absorb fighting hits. He will be switching into rocks quite a bit since he is the defogger and he needs to be able to survive long enough to defog and roost up. I do like the U-turn change though because I run that on my hyper offensive one and I miss it some times.

As far as maybe alternate defoggers we have Empoleon, Mandibuzz, and Mence. Empoleon and Mandibuzz can't take the fighting hits I need them to and Mence is in suspect right now and might be on the way out so I'm hesitant to put it on the team.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I like the Krookodile and Milotic changes a lot. Krook is one of my favorite mons and the reason I didn't have him was because I needed a special attacking ground. Never run Milotic but she has been a pain in my butt for so long she can't be all bad.

I agree that if Abomasnow goes without SD that Infernape needs to go NP.

I was thinking about maybe switching Tyrantrum up to the DD set with a lum berry. Burns cripple him and the berry would give him one for free. Thoughts?

The only change I'm not to sure about is Crobat. While I agree that having him be fast is nice, I would like him to be able to absorb fighting hits. He will be switching into rocks quite a bit since he is the defogger and he needs to be able to survive long enough to defog and roost up. I do like the U-turn change though because I run that on my hyper offensive one and I miss it some times.

As far as maybe alternate defoggers we have Empoleon, Mandibuzz, and Mence. Empoleon and Mandibuzz can't take the fighting hits I need them to and Mence is in suspect right now and might be on the way out so I'm hesitant to put it on the team.
Well personally I never really see a use for DD Tyrantrum since it has to be at +2 to outspeed anything that Scarf should. That being said, a Rock Polish set could serve you well should you want to make it into a cleaner; however, I feel like Band TTrum is the way to go to allow it, along with Mega Abomasnow, to wear down the opponent's walls for Nasty Plot Infernape to sweep. Also if you wanted to have a more bulky variant of Crobat you could run 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe to hit the jump point in Speed while giving Crobat overall better bulk. The issue is that bulky Crobat tends to be really passive even with Brave Bird since it has 0 Attack investment and its typing alone allows it to take advantage of its resists while threatening the Fighting-types you are talking about. I understand it is forced to Defog since SR can wear down itself as well as Mega Abomasnow, but the point of this team, from my perspective anyways since it was based around an offensive core, is to apply as much offensive pressure as necessary and thus have the hazard control stay to a minimum.

tl;dr I provided some alternate changes in case you wanted to check them out, but further explained why I made the changes I did.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)