Ladder Anything Goes

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Hello, I would like you to evaluate my team and find strength and weaknesses, what moves to use, etc.
P.S.: I took almost totally the team configuration and the team itself from another user.

Rayquaza-Mega @ life orb
ability: delta stream
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Giratina @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Def
Impish Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 SpD
Calm Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Toxic
- Thunder
- Calm Mind

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
Rayquaza-Mega usually benefits more from a Lum Berry on Dragon Dance sets, but LO can be used effectively if you have enough Darkrai/Klefki/Will-O checks. You apparently lack this by looking at your team. I would suggest Lum Berry just for some minor aid in checking those mons.

Giratina-O - I can't really help with, I've never used it because it seems weak to me. Maybe someone else can help with that. Giratina doesn't really benefit from that HP investment though due to its skyrocketing HP stat, I would invest into a Defense.

Deoxys-A - That's the weirdest Deo-A set I've ever seen O.o
252+ Atk Deoxys-A Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 198-234 (51.8 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Superpower > Drain Punch, especially on a mon so frail they'll just ExtremeSpeed the next turn and OHKO you.
Make sure you have ExtremeSpeed to faint these mons before that happens.

Groudon gains no advantage out of Iron Head. I assume you put it on for Xerneas, but Precipice and Iron Head both 2HKO. The remainder of that set is fine.

Kyogre really shouldn't be running Toxic as it has no reliable recovery, nor are you running RestTalk. CM Toxic seems like a waste when you can't even attack PDon. Change the Toxic to Ice Beam for maximum efficiency on a CM set.

Xerneas - Psychic is bad coverage. Thunder is better as it can OHKO POgre after a Geo, and enable the damaging of Ho-Oh. You really don't need 328 speed on a mon that's going to get a +2 boost anyway. Modest is much better.

Anyway, hope I helped. Feel free to ask any questions if I didn't explain something properly or you're needing further clarification.

luigi rovatti

formerly fistofthefight
Regarding Deoxys-Attack, are you sying I should use Superpower and Extremespeed? And with what move I should substitute Iron Head? By the way, thanks.

Last edited:

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Regarding Deoxys-Attack, are you sying I should use Superpower and Extremespeed? And with what move I should substitute Iron Head? By the way, thanks.
The usual set is mixed Psycho Boost/Superpower/ExtremeSpeed/Utility. I see you have Zen Headbutt, so keep it all physical probably. Zen Headbutt/Superpower/ESpeed/Rock Slide would probably be optimal in this case. Jolly would usually be preferred due to MMY out speeding, but there is barely any MMY in the meta as of now. So keep the EVs and such, just change the moveset.

As for a substitute for Iron Head, I would suggest Roar/Dragon Tail as usual Groudon leads thrive on this ability to remove the flying types. Otherwise you could potentially run Stone Edge, but SR is preferred.

Chloe

NUPL Champion
Guys, what do you think about Sleep + Lock On/Mind Reader + OHKO move strats? as late game cleanup?
They're very unreliable and rely on the opponent not switching. There are much better late game clean up strats (e.g. the omnipresent GeoXern) that essentially OHKO the majority of the meta anyway. Do not use Articuno nor Smeargle as a late game sweeper.

Still, there is something tempting about an Mean Look + Spore + Lock On + Sheer Cold Smeargle holding a Focus Sash. Pretty much a guaranteed single kill. I agree though that it's too situational and requires too much to build up, also Smeargle could use baton passed speed to support this set which further complicates things.

Are there any NoGuard pokes that can learn OHKO moves tho?

Still, there is something tempting about an Mean Look + Spore + Lock On + Sheer Cold Smeargle holding a Focus Sash. Pretty much a guaranteed single kill. I agree though that it's too situational and requires too much to build up, also Smeargle could use baton passed speed to support this set which further complicates things.

Thankfully no as anyone familiar with Hackmons can attest to that cancerous combo.

Last edited:

bp scrub

rub a dub dub one scrub in a tub

well that was fun
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-297483538

Hahahaha, can't believe you actually did that! That was indeed fun as hell to watch. I wonder why the guy didn't switch out any Pokemon though. To be fair, without the Sleep Clause you can abuse this if you're lucky for Moody to give you 3x Speed, but it is so luck-heavy I wouldn't count on it. Still, funny to see how successful that cancerous strat turned out to be.

Chloe

NUPL Champion
I was looking through mons that could potentially wall Mega Rayquaza, when I found something that resisted Dragon Ascent and V-Create, as well as was immune to Earthquake. I found Rotom-Wash :)

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Will-O-Wisp
- Reflect
- Rest

252+ Atk Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 94-111 (31 - 36.6%) -- 73% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Mega Rayquaza V-create vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 94-111 (31 - 36.6%) -- 73% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Mega Rayquaza Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 85-100 (28 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Mega Rayquaza Earthquake vs. Levitate Rotom-W: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time

252+ Atk Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W through Reflect: 47-55 (15.5 - 18.1%) -- possible 6HKO

252+ Atk burned Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W through Reflect: 23-27 (7.5 - 8.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever

This also:
+ Walls Primal Groudon
+ Walls Arceus EKiller variants, once set up
+ Walls Ho-Oh
+ I assume more

Anyone got any unique checks for Mega Rayquaza?
Arc-Fairy/Skarmory/Lugia/Giratina/Yveltal are the obvious ones. Anything else?
I know this isn't practical, I'm only reviving a dead thread.

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
I was looking through mons that could potentially wall Mega Rayquaza, when I found something that resisted Dragon Ascent and V-Create, as well as was immune to Earthquake. I found Rotom-Wash :)

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Will-O-Wisp
- Reflect
- Rest

252+ Atk Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 94-111 (31 - 36.6%) -- 73% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Mega Rayquaza V-create vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 94-111 (31 - 36.6%) -- 73% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Mega Rayquaza Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 85-100 (28 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Mega Rayquaza Earthquake vs. Levitate Rotom-W: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time

252+ Atk Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W through Reflect: 47-55 (15.5 - 18.1%) -- possible 6HKO

252+ Atk burned Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W through Reflect: 23-27 (7.5 - 8.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever

This also:
+ Walls Primal Groudon
+ Walls Arceus EKiller variants, once set up
+ Walls Ho-Oh
+ I assume more

Anyone got any unique checks for Mega Rayquaza?
Arc-Fairy/Skarmory/Lugia/Giratina/Yveltal are the obvious ones. Anything else?
I know his isn't practical, I'm only reviving a dead thread.
Both Wisp and Reflect?

Chloe

NUPL Champion
Both Wisp and Reflect?
Being able to wall heavy physical attackers that can't be wisped is paramount, namely Ho-Oh and Groudon. Where the argument could be made that the Will-O is useless then, the importance of minimising damage while asleep is crucial in ensuring that the dependency on obtaining minimal sleeping turns isn't there.

Its main purpose is to wall Mega Rayquaza, and without a decent defense boosting move, Rotom would die after a few Dragon Dances without this Reflect/WoW combination.

Or we could talk about the actual reason I put it on which was I had an extra slot, and why not it's a Rotom-Wash. Its attacks aren't very powerful and its STABs aren't considered useful in the AG metagame.

Reactions: DoW
Cool beans, those are all quite beautiful Pokemon.

Also, why can't I find the replays for this meta on Showdown? In fact, where is the ladder?

I'd imagine Speed Boost + Double Team Blaziken would work fairly well too.

Game Freak did create the "- accuracy" moves for that precise reason, now didn't they? If there were no evasion clause in the lower tiers, everyone would be using Swift, Shadow Punch and Feint Attack.

Do you think allowing evasion boosting would stifle moveset diversity in favor of these moves?

SuperRyan249

Banned deucer.
The strategy I love to use is the 'old:

Smeargle - Encore, Disable, Protect, [any other move] strategy because it's absolutely hilarious to see the opponent [most of the time] rage quit xD

Chloe

NUPL Champion
The strategy I love to use is the 'old:

Smeargle - Encore, Disable, Protect, [any other move] strategy because it's absolutely hilarious to see the opponent [most of the time] rage quit xD
Why use Smeargle when a Prankster user such as Whimsicott and Liepard would be much better?

Chloe

NUPL Champion
Smeargle has a much bigger move set than the latter. In my AG team, I only use one Smeargle and the rest are Whimsicott's and Liepard's anyway :p
I mean sure, that's correct. But what moves would you be using that these prankster users wouldn't already have?

Also switching checks your strat.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Isn't that just 6-0'd by Magic Bounce (read: mega diancie), or Ekiller, or just plain switching?

Zangooser, nothing gets Prankster with that combination of moves.
"/ds encore, disable, protect, prankster:
No Pokémon found."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)