Metagame USUM AG Metagame Discussion Thread

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I've updated the OP of the thread to be more accurate when compared to the current metagame, most importantly the strategy section (which previously had Groudon listed as one of the premier Offensive Pokémon, yuck). The sample teams were also updated recently, as the metagame has evolved since the start of the AG Open and even more evidently since the completion of it.

This thread is quite inactive at the moment, so I'd like to pose a few questions.
1. What is the current effect of Terrain spam teams on the metagame?
2. Is the existence of this team archetype enough to make Balance and Stall teams run dedicated answers such as Alolan Muk?

As a Balance user myself, I find Deoxys-Attack / Tapu Lele teams to be quite effective when used by a skilled user; however, not effective enough as to where I require an answer such as Alolan Muk. Using Ho-Oh and a Steel-type effectively can avoid the majority of issues, as a Deoxys-Attack can only do so much. It's limited to two main sets usually. The Mixed Life Orb set with Psycho Boost, Superpower and two other coverage moves fails to dent Balance if the user has removed Stealth Rock prior to Deoxys-Attack's appearance. Ho-Oh can switch in on Superpower's and take little damage, while after a Psycho Boost has hit a Steel-type or blob, becomes specially useless too. The Focus Sash Sweeper set with Nasty Plot, Psychic STAB and two special coverage moves cannot bust through Steel-type walls such as Magearna and Celesteela, while if they cannot achieve this feat, can still succeed in stalling out Psychic Terrain turns. After the termination of Psychic Terrain, these teams fall apart rather easily, assuming the Tapu Lele was eliminated earlier. Alolan Muk isn't exactly a waste of space however, as its ability to easily eliminate Deoxys-Attack, Mega Gengar and Mewtwo doesn't exactly fail to impress. The issue is, Balance usually doesn't struggle with the latter two, due to Ho-Oh's incredible natural bulk; however, it can definitely see some use. It may be used efficiently when paired with a Seismic Toss Chansey, to Pursuit-trap Taunt Mega Gengar early on. I don't know, just my two cents. Curious to see what other people think.
I think every team should at least be sort of prepared to face deospam, considering how it's pretty common and can easily break through a lot of defensive and offensive cores atm. even dedicated checks like alomuk and magearna can get easily worn down due to their lack of recovery and then cleaned up by another deo. i don't think terrain teams are really all that centralizing, at least definitely not to the point where they have a huge impact on the current metagame. there are pretty common answers like celesteela floating around, which makes it just that bit harder for deospam to work, even though it can work really effectively with the right setup. while deospam teams are good and can destroy in some matchups, a skilled player can work around psychic terrain and even force an opponent to sack either their tapu lele (putting terrain on a limit) or a deoxys-a (limiting the team's overall wallbreaking capacities). i think balance and stall teams can already deal with deospam decently enough, with pokemon like mega sableye and lugia (depending on the deo set). overall, i think that while terrain teams are very good and have a place in the meta, it's not enough to where we need to introduce niche answers to counter them

Out of interest, in what scenarios could the other terrains be used, outside of psychic spam with psychic terrain. I've seen tapu bulu used occasionally, but mainly in Mono AG room tours, and also occasionally Tapu Fini on some stall/ balance, but are there any reasons to use the other tapus, other than for something like cancelling psychic terrain. Also, would it at any stage be worth considering running a different terrain move on a pokemon to remove psychich terrain, or should most teams cover it fairly well? Since I've never really had a problem with it.

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Out of interest, in what scenarios could the other terrains be used, outside of psychic spam with psychic terrain. I've seen tapu bulu used occasionally, but mainly in Mono AG room tours, and also occasionally Tapu Fini on some stall/ balance, but are there any reasons to use the other tapus, other than for something like cancelling psychic terrain. Also, would it at any stage be worth considering running a different terrain move on a pokemon to remove psychich terrain, or should most teams cover it fairly well? Since I've never really had a problem with it.
electrium z tapu koko might have a niche within the meta, or even tapunium z for dealing with bulky pokemon. Pretty much nothing viable besides maybe clefable has a Terrain move, and thereby nothing can really reset terrain outside of the other Tapu pokemon. most teams have decent answers to psyspam, but then again, not everything is perfect; however, i doubt it has reached a point where a terrain move is needed especially as tapu lele can just come back in and reset it. however, i think the best answer might be tapu koko, even though it's hardly viable, and also has a function in ubers; iirc its electrium z, but guardian of alola is useful for removing 75% off bulky mons like support arc, giratina, etc and koko's speed stat is really good for dealing with certain mons. i think that while psychic terrain is a good strategy, there's not really a need to use gimmicks just to beat it.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
094-mega.png
493.png

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Refresh
- Recover
- Calm Mind
I had been considering posting about this core before Pigeons's rmt, but now it seems pretty topical and worth attempting to revive this thread with. Honestly most of this core's power could be attributed to just how good Darkceus is in the current metagame, as a lot of checking CM Arceus formes is coming from taking advantage of type weaknesses (especially Steelceus) or spamming Toxic since a lot of teams have 1+ users right now. Darkceus+Gengar gets around both of those issues pretty commandingly, once Gengar removes Fairies there's very little to stand in the way of a Darkceus sweep. The core also has the added benefit of being ridiculously good vs stall since Clefable is no longer going to be a permanent CM Arceus form answer with Gengar running around. It's not a perfect core and is by no means the complete death of stall, but it is an excellent unit to fit onto teams that puts a lot of pressure on bulkier playstyles while still having two generally useful mons (you're not running something like Kyuw just to handle stall). A good example of this practically is Pigeons's rmt since it saves me the trouble of posting one of my own squads.

Fwiw it can be pretty much any Gengar set, it does a lot of stuff but as long as you don't somehow lose to Fairies that's what's important. It's specifically Dbond in the import because that can also remove Magearna which is an added bonus.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
I have come to talk about our lord and saviour Jesus Christ, also known as:

You're sceptical, I know, and for good reason. Not many people have successfully run serious Trick Room teams in the history of the Anything Goes metagame before. I initially didn't expect to either, and believe that this is arguably borderline achieving that goal. In an ideal world, one would be able to check offensive and defensive teams simply with standard offense, but on the current Anything Goes ladder, most offensive teams struggle to keep both in check. Trick Room however can alleviate this, with its ability to defeat Stall incredibly easily with excessively powerful threats; while dealing with offense rather well. The latter is due to the reliance on priority the teams have, and the strength of the later mentioned offensive threats. I still haven't convinced you, and I don't expect to have by the end of this post; however I hope that with your help, we can potentially turn Trick Room into a valid archetype within the metagame.

The Setters

Arceus
Support Arceus formes are some of the best Trick Room setters, as they possess the bulk and movepool to stay relevant through the entirety of the match. They allow TR to be set against even the most deadly threats. Dark and Ground are both two effective forms as the former can effectively check most Taunt users (say Gengar and Yveltal) while the latter provides a decent defensive wall for the remainder of the metagame.

Carbink / Diancie
Suicide leads for more Hyper Offensive builds mainly come in the form of Carbink and Diancie. These Pokémon can effectively use Stealth Rock, Trick Room and Explosion, allowing teams to safely get in offensive Pokémon in the back. Carbink at the moment is the superior option due to its access to Sturdy and ability to run Mental Herb to evade Taunt, and safely get up Trick Room. Diancie may overtake Carbink in the future when Diancite gets released, as it can bluff a Mega Evolution, whilst having much higher offensive presence. Explosion may actually dent an opposing defensive Pokémon. These two Pokémon and other arbitrary Pokémon like Dialga, are the only suicide leads I would consider for Trick Room.

Cresselia
Cresselia is an interesting answer, as it provides Trick Room easily while having high defensive stats, recovery and Lunar Dance. Cresselia is a mid to late game Trick Room setter, as it can revive a previously damaged sweeper or wallbreaker and give it the optimal opportunity for this to occur. In many of the replays, Cresselia can be seen accomplishing this. It also acts as a decent wall if need be, providing answers to Ground Arceus and Primal Groudon, two Pokémon the sweepers below may have trouble breaking.

Porygon2
P2 (formerly fleggumfl) is a great wall as well; however, it is nowhere near a replacement for the aforementioned Cresselia or Support Arceus formes. While it does have access to Foul Play, multiple status moves and great bulk when boosted by Eviolite, it cannot take on many metagame threats due to the evident power increase within the Anything Goes metagame. Porygon2 can still be run effectively alongside the above two defensive setters though.

Random Utility
Dialga is another effective offensive lead, but you already know this. There's potentially a plethora of other options but I told myself not to write anything big with this post so I won't mention them all.

The Sweepers

Groudon-Primal
This isn't rocket science. Primal Groudon doesn't have a great speed stat and can abuse its 180 base Attack with Trick Room fairly easily. "Speedy" Swords Dance is a godsend, especially when combined with Groudon's already amazing defensive and offensive capabilities. I don't know why I'm explaining this, I really shouldn't be. I don't need to show you PDon calcs, you know them >_>

Marowak-Alola
Alowak is definitely what I've found to be amazing most surprisingly. It breaks past a myriad of common defensive options without any set-up, and defeats the rest after a single Swords Dance. Flare Blitz and Shadow Bone are both nice offensive options that Alowak gets access to, that allow it to break past everything in the metagame bar like Defensive Arceus-Water, but who runs that in 2017 lol.
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 282-332 (55.9 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Lugia: 264-312 (63.4 - 75%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 240-283 (57.8 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Fairy: 265-313 (59.8 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 200 Def Groudon-Primal: 202-238 (50.1 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 486-572 (116.8 - 137.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mawile-Mega
MMawile's biggest flaw is obviously its speed tier, but Trick Room completely alleviates that. You should really be weary of how frail this thing is though, especially pre-Mega Evolution.
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Fairy: 422-500 (95.2 - 112.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Xerneas: 504-594 (110.5 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Yveltal: 414-488 (90.9 - 107.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Lugia: 168-198 (40.3 - 47.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ferrothorn: 352-416 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Other
I'm sure you can make other omnipresent threats such as Arceus-Ghost and Rayquaza-Mega function with Trick Room somehow. They attack fast and avoid nasty speed issues they previously obtained.

All the calcs here were without set-up; however, you can almost pick and choose your opposing Pokémon with setters like Cresselia, so Swords Dance isn't hard to pull off at all.

vs 24 Rajorshi Das: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-579470125
vs ashiva: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-579474372
vs Donno: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-579466495
vs PurpleGatorade: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-567577707
vs Quantum Tesseract: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-568009539
AND THE FINALE VS THE INFAMOUS *PEPA120*: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-579473538

Here's an example squad. You can obviously get a lot better than this, but this has worked out well. I'm sure with adequate effort and practice, a much more optimal squad could be created.
Code:
Mawile @ Mawilite  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def  
Brave Nature  
IVs: 0 Spe  
- Iron Head  
- Play Rough  
- Fire Fang  
- Swords Dance  

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club  
Ability: Rock Head  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Flare Blitz  
- Shadow Bone  
- Earthquake  
- Swords Dance  

Cresselia @ Mental Herb  
Ability: Levitate  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD  
Bold Nature  
- Toxic  
- Trick Room  
- Moonlight  
- Lunar Dance  

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate  
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe  
Bold Nature  
- Judgment  
- Trick Room  
- Calm Mind  
- Recover  

Groudon @ Red Orb  
Ability: Drought  
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
IVs: 30 Spe  
- Precipice Blades  
- Rock Slide  
- Dragon Tail  
- Swords Dance  

Carbink @ Mental Herb  
Ability: Sturdy  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD  
Brave Nature  
- Stealth Rock  
- Toxic  
- Trick Room  
- Explosion
Literally posting this only to take credit because every nub is now copying muh sht and I want to be acknowledged for it. >~<

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry if I'm bumping the wrong thread, but Nintendo has announced a very Anything Goesy competition for the 3DS; "No Holds Barred". It's 3v3 and some legendaries are banned (like Arceus) but there's no item clause and no species clause, so thought you hardcore AG guys would be able to dump some knowledge on all of us who have no idea what might be good!

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
As OMPL has almost concluded, and many of the current listed sample teams are outdated; I would like to announce that we are accepting samples yet again. If you choose to submit a sample team please ensure it fits the following criteria:
  • Make sure it's a good team. This isn't difficult to understand.
  • Relatively simple to use. Don't submit complicated Flygon & Breloom Webs or some niche Thimo innovation unless it's simple enough for a new player to use.
  • Represents the current metagame. For example do not post a team that lacks suitable Marshadow answers or gets 6-0'd by Mega Diancie.
  • You have experience with the team. Don't submit something you have just built and have not tested.
Submission Format said:
Team Name by Username
Paste your team importable here.
Provide a description of your team: how to use the team and how each Pokémon functions.
Sprites are cool if you wanna make me happy but I don't really care either way. Any sample submissions lacking a working team importable and at least a brief description will be deleted.

I'll be updating the samples post after two weeks or so with new team submissions; however, samples can be submitted any time after that as well.

Voice of Legend by Dark Swordman
Skinny piece (Deoxys-Speed) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Psycho Boost
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock

Destructor (Rayquaza-Mega) @ Life Orb
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Dream Tree (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 176 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Focus Blast
- Moonblast
- Thunder

Bad Boy Of Meta (Marshadow) @ Marshadium Z
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Substitute

Ashceus (Arceus-Ground) @ Earth Plate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

Charmceus (Arceus-Steel) @ Iron Plate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power
- Judgment
- Recover

This team is influenced from a gen 6 HO of blaze giving me idea to use DD mray,deo-s and xerneas.Deo-S is the SR and spikes setter and having psycho boost for lead marsh as some ppl lead with marsh against it thinking it doesn't have attacks,also helps to give some damages on pdon and opponents ray and then DD LO mray set which is here for sweeping in late-game and also in mid-game DA main stab and eq covering steel,poison and rock for it next comes xerneas with basic geomancy set having thunder over psyshock as i lack check to skarm/celes(thunder OHKO them at 2x) 52 spe evs helps it to get 500+ speed and rest are in bulk and def.Coming up with a new solid physical sweeper which have irresistible typing marshadow,Having marshadium z allows it to use its signature z-move and that helps alot with bulkier mons and others with the help of spikes+sr the loss of LO boost is reduced then one of my favourite physical sweepers groundceus this mon is capable to sweep many teams alone after SR and spikes raises its chances to get more damage on the mons it generally gets lower damage an earthquake boosted with earth plate and SD is strong enough to OHKO/2HKO many Lastly steelceus is the mon which ends up the team,my 2nd special sweeper and my fairy type check.Although you have seen the brief info of the team lemme tell you few threats to it right away-skarmary/celesteela as i only have one taunter and 0 fire type attacks they can be painful for team and as u know it hard to beat celesteela after it sets sub without yveltal so only way is to geo thunder both,other option is running v-create on mray.Lead pogre,well no one really leads with it but this mon can give high damages to team if sent as lead as it gets Deo-s in 2 turn then u only get mray to kill it and if it got some def investment the KO chances might differ.These are the threats i have found up till now.Hope u enjoy using this team GL for ur laddering in ag.

Last edited:

Fardin

Tournament Banned
Toxapex stall by fardin
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Def / 244 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Confide
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Arceus-Steel @ Iron Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Stealth Rock

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Protect
- Toxic
- Recover

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Defog

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 8 SpD / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Whirlwind

Toxapex @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
- Haze
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes

I actually used this team in OMPL, and it works quite well. It's just a simple generic stall where Lugia is the counter to threats such as, SD Pdon, LO mega-rayquaza, SD Ekiller, Zygarde and a few other set up sweepers. Steel ceus is there so it provides the team with a Band Mega-rayquaza switch-in, toxic immunity, and a way to just 6-0 Baton pass, since steel types with stealth rock do that fairy good. Msab is there for obvious reasons, since its the best poke a stall team could ever have. Magic bounce with a very nice bulk shuts down annoying pokemons like ferrothorn, most suicide leads, some support arceus, and its typing allows it to deal with Ekiller + Marsh. Its presence alone puts pressure on the opponent and makes him think twice before throwing out some status or hazards. Chansey is my main switch-in to most Sp Attackers, and thanks to confide, its able to check every CM user in the game, that would otherwise destroy most stalls. Since my team was kind of weak to Mega-Gengar + Xern/Refresh CM arceus, I decided to add another mixed wall, Toxapex. Toxapex isn't weak to Mega-Gengar, and thanks to its amazing mixed bulk, it can come in to almost every CM user and use Haze to remove those boosts while also having enough health to survive the next hit and heal back up to full. Its ability regen is also extremely useful and allows it to come in on almost the whole meta without worrying much about its health. It also provides the team with Toxic Spikes. Arceus ground is there so the team doesn't get 6-0d by Rest Pdon, SD Steel ceus, Lucario, etc. and its just a good physical wall that has a great synergy with Toxapex.

Last edited:

cromagnet

I pledge allegiance to the grind
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Webs HO by cromagnet
Shuckle (M) @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Toxic

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunder

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

Arceus-Ghost @ Ghostium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Force
- Extreme Speed
- Brick Break

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- V-create

A very easy and effective team to use, using heavy hitters that allow for extreme offensive pressure vs opposing team. It can be used with and without webs, although the latter is less effective. It is a rather generic HO team, although with a few twists. The general strategy of course is to set up webs and then poke holes and sweep the opposing team. The shuckle is ev'd to be max defense to allow it to eat hits from PDon and Mega Ray to attempt to set up both webs and rocks. It has 4 EVs in speed to get the hazards up vs opposing shuckle, as this team is weak vs other webs teams, although the two flying types mitigates this somewhat. The team possesses both taunt to stop defog and a ghost type to prevent rapid spin as well. Xerneas is EV'd to outspeed choice scarf mega ray after a geomancy as well as max speed smeargle as it also hits that benchmark. This aides in beating psychic spam as well as not getting surprised by a tricky flying scarfer. Arceus-Ground was chosen as ground STAB is quite possibly the best in the meta, and Rock + Ground is near perfect coverage. It also adds priority to the team just in case a xerneas sets up, although unlikely if played well. Arceus-Ghost, although quite unviable these days due to the influx of Marshadow, is very viable on this team, as long as the hazards remain up. It is the most potent sweeper on the team, with unresisted coverage. Brick Break can also be used to break past screens. And finally, Mega Ray is there to muscle past the bulkiest of pokemon and can sweep teams as long as there is no priority. After 1 SD boost it can OHKO max defense Arceus Formes as long as they do not resist flying. It also can OHKO most variants of Primal Ogre which can be a bother if it is lead on the opposing team. Overall, very solid, easy to use, successful team, but it is important to keep in mind that offensive pressure is needed if hazards are to be kept up.

Last edited:

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
ScarfRay + Z-GeoXern Bulky Offense by Erotic Pigeons

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Outrage
- V-create
- Earthquake

Xerneas @ Fairium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Ingrain
- Rest
- Geomancy

Arceus-Poison @ Toxic Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 156 SpD / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Stealth Rock

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover
- Defog

Arceus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Pretty nice bulky offense team I made with someone (I forget who) a while back. ScarfRay and Z-GeoXern form the offensive core of this team, both have a great matchup against more offensive teams while Z-GeoXern has a solid matchup against many bulkier builds as well. Arceus-Poison beats all the Fairies of the tier that would annoy Rayquaza while being a solid check to the newly introduced Marshadow with Will-O-Wisp. Arceus-Water assists Xerneas by dealing with Pokemon that would make it difficult for Xerneas to sweep such as Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh, Defog support also helps prevent the offensive Pokemon from getting worn down as quickly. Substitute on EKiller Arceus allows it to outmaneuver potential checks such as Celesteela and Marshadow while also providing a barrier against status when facing stall or balance builds. EKiller is also extremely important for picking off boosted sweepers that ScarfRay can't such as Dragon Dance Rayquaza. Lastly, Choice Band Ho-Oh is crucial to break bulkier teams while also being extremely useful against Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Magearna that are a great hinderance to Xerneas.

Last edited:

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Marshadow Hyper Offense ft. Mom?Hair cut pls!

Groudon @ Lum Berry
Ability: Drought
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

WTF I'm Cornered (Rayquaza) @ Choice Band
Ability: Air Lock
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Extreme Speed
- Waterfall

Mom?Hair cut pls! (Xerneas) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

Arceus-Ground @ Groundium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

Arceus-Poison @ Toxic Plate
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Recover

Come at me BRUH (Marshadow) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Shadow Sneak
- Substitute

A easy to use team brought to you by MQ, in association with Smogon.Anyways, this was one of the first team I made after Marshy was released, and I've used it more than enough since.Like yuga's team, the core is Mray+Xern, but the variation coming in from the sets we used.The band set makes it easier to deal with common stall mon which can really hurt the team and the latter tries to hard hit as possible.Then, comes my Groudon and Groundceus, the former is my lead which guarantees rocks up unless you're that weird dude who leads with mewtwo. While, the secondary being my primary set up sweeper. Poisonceus is my xerneas check, and geoxern set does trouble me a bit. Marshadow really patches up my team, mostly.Checks Arc-Formes, M ray (after def drop).

For experience, I've used this team a LOT, and played more than 500+, so I can tell you, this team is fun, with some cons, but still reliable.

To use this team, you must be aware that celesteela is a pain, and pairing it with a rockceus really makes me do some crazy predictions.

Mq out.

Just Another Baton Pass Team
by Xynix

upload_2017-8-16_10-5-12.png
upload_2017-8-16_10-5-30.png
upload_2017-8-16_10-6-24.png
upload_2017-8-16_10-6-35.png
upload_2017-8-16_10-6-29.png
upload_2017-8-16_10-7-2.png

Attack Passer (Scolipede) (M) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 80 HP / 240 Def / 188 Spe
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Protect
- Iron Defense

100% Acc OHKO (Smeargle) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moody
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Def / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Spore
- Ingrain
- Spectral Thief

EpicDrifblimSweep (Drifblim) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 60 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Minimize
- Substitute
- Defog

Physical Wall (Mr. Mime) (M) @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 204 HP / 244 Def / 32 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Taunt

SpecialWall (Vaporeon) (F) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Aqua Ring
- Acid Armor
- Roar

HealBell (Espeon) (F) @ Shell Bell
EVs: 8 HP / 208 Def / 68 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Baton Pass
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Substitute

This team contains six Pokemon with Baton Pass. It features Scolipede, which is a defensively bulky Speed Boost passer that can tank many offensive threats like Arceus, Smeargle, which has Moody and has a pivotal role in defeating Marshadow, Drifblim, which passes Evasion, Mr. Mime, which defeats Perish Song, Vaporeon as a defense passer, and Espeon, which sweeps.

The skill required to play the team is debatable. Baton Pass has been remarked to be a very easy to use strategy; however, I have found that not many have actually been able to use it properly.

More details can be found on my RMT:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/anything-goes-just-another-baton-pass-team.3612381/

Last edited:

Introduction

How Do You Feel About It? (By Sets)

Teambuilding Process

Megaray is pretty much a must have in the AG tier; without it you're playing Ubers. My ray in particular is banded, this is mainly to 2-shot those bulky support arceus forms (mainly fairy, water, and ground) so long as they are slow. If these arceus forms happen to be running full speed, then take the damage you can get from a hit and GET OUT! This ray can't take a judgment from fairyceus or 2 ice beams from water/groundceus. In addition, try not to get burned, as this team doesn't have a healer.

**This arceus is the main unique pokemon on the team. Normally a normal arceus would be a fast, strong extremespeed abuser; however, this team's arceus is a tank. This is your defogger, bulky enough to live a hit from megaray even with life orb and at +1 attack. Weaker megarays will break themselves on your rocky helmet as you recover, support arceus will get toxic'd, and set-up sweepers can be roared away. Be wary of taunt, as this arceus has no attacks.**

Groudon Primal is still incredibly strong in the metagame. I won't go into detail about it, but this one is a standard stealth rock setter, and xerneas roar'er. It's fully spdef to live the possible z-geo and however many ice beams kyogre can throw at it. It is slow, though, so be careful of arceus ground.

Marshadow is incredibly cool, on this team is serves the purpose of a late game clean up. If you can get a bulk up off, it becomes incredibly easy to wipe out entire teams. Even it's main checks, support arceus forms, can't stand up to a +1 Soul Stealing 7-Star Strike.

Ho-oh serves a somewhat specific purpose on this team. It has safety goggles as a hold item, which allows it to avoid attacks such as spore. (Also other powder based attacks.) With the commonality of smeargle spore teams on the ladder, this seemed like a good enough investment. Using this, you should not need to fear teams like baton pass or smash pass on the ladder, which will lead to more victories overall. Of course, the attacks of this majestic bird will be a little lackluster due to no boost from a life orb, but I feel it is worth the drop in power.

Finally, Xerneas completes the team with it's power herb geomancy set. This Xern runs psyshock to take care of stray gengars that may try to end you with sludge wave, as well as upsetting toxapex and bulky arceus poison switch-ins. Unfortunately bulky poisonceus will survive 1 psyshock. This Xern does, however, run enough bulk to survive at least a couple megaray/arceus e-speeds.

The Team

How (Rayquaza-Mega) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- V-create
Megaray is pretty much a must have in the AG tier; without it you're playing Ubers. My ray in particular is banded, this is mainly to 2-shot those bulky support arceus forms (mainly fairy, water, and ground) so long as they are slow. If these arceus forms happen to be running full speed, then take the damage you can get from a hit and GET OUT! This ray can't take a judgment from fairyceus or 2 ice beams from water/groundceus. In addition, try not to get burned, as this team doesn't have a healer.

Do (Arceus) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Roar
- Toxic
This arceus is the main unique pokemon on the team. Normally a normal arceus would be a fast, strong extremespeed abuser; however, this team's arceus is a tank. This is your defogger, bulky enough to live a hit from megaray even with life orb and at +1 attack. Weaker megarays will break themselves on your rocky helmet as you recover, support arceus will get toxic'd, and set-up sweepers can be roared away. Be wary of taunt, as this arceus has no attacks.

You (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Precipice Blades
- Roar
Groudon Primal is still incredibly strong in the metagame. I won't go into detail about it, but this one is a standard stealth rock setter, and xerneas roar'er. It's fully spdef to live the possible z-geo and however many ice beams kyogre can throw at it. It is slow, though, so be careful of arceus ground.

Feel (Marshadow) @ Marshadium Z
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Shadow Sneak
- Bulk Up
Marshadow is incredibly cool, on this team is serves the purpose of a late game clean up. If you can get a bulk up off, it becomes incredibly easy to wipe out entire teams. Even it's main checks, support arceus forms, can't stand up to a +1 Soul Stealing 7-Star Strike.

About (Ho-Oh) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 200 HP / 216 Atk / 92 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Substitute
- Recover
- Sacred Fire
Ho-oh serves a somewhat specific purpose on this team. It has safety goggles as a hold item, which allows it to avoid attacks such as spore. (Also other powder based attacks.) With the commonality of smeargle spore teams on the ladder, this seemed like a good enough investment. Using this, you should not need to fear teams like baton pass or smash pass on the ladder, which will lead to more victories overall. Of course, the attacks of this majestic bird will be a little lackluster due to no boost from a life orb, but I feel it is worth the drop in power.

It? (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Psyshock
Finally, Xerneas completes the team with its power herb geomancy set. This Xern runs psyshock to take care of stray gengars that may try to end you with sludge wave, as well as upsetting toxapex and bulky arceus poison switch-ins. Unfortunately bulky poisonceus will survive 1 psyshock. This Xern does, however, run enough bulk to survive at least a couple megaray/arceus e-speeds.

Conclusion

All in all, I think this is a suitable offensive team for laddering. It stands up well to all forms of opposing teams, as well as having numerous checks to baton pass and other niche styles. Yours sincerely, Sets (Formerly Catniss Everdeen)

How (Rayquaza-Mega) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- V-create

Do (Arceus) @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Roar
- Toxic

You (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Precipice Blades
- Roar

Feel (Marshadow) @ Marshadium Z
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Shadow Sneak
- Bulk Up

About (Ho-Oh) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 200 HP / 216 Atk / 92 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Substitute
- Recover
- Sacred Fire

It? (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Psyshock

Edit: Here's Webs HO, works pretty well imo.

Tired Trope by Catniss
Rayboi (Rayquaza-Mega) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- V-create
- Earthquake

Arcboi (Arceus) @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Recover
- Roar
- Toxic

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Eruption
- Solar Beam

Marboi (Marshadow) @ Marshadium Z
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Shadow Sneak
- Bulk Up

aw crud, icy wiener (Shuckle) @ Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Toxic

Xerno (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is a pretty nice web based team, shuckle has toxic for the support arcs and groudon, set up your hazards and encore set-up sweepers. Swap to marsh to steal the boosts or just kill them. We have another arceus-normal with no attacks, that always surprises a few people. Watch out for gengars with that, you don't want to get taunted and stuck. Groudon is running eruption, so keep it at high health for maximum effect. Bulk up Marsh is pretty great for late game sweeping, or early game if you can get a few bulk up's off. Choice band ray kills things. Xern sweeps. This xern is running hp fire, since groudon's eruption is the only other fire coverage. This does mean that you can't really deal with arc/poison/toxapex, so watch out.

Last edited:

DoW

formally Death on Wings
DoWStall 3.0 is so new-age it's not even slightly stally!
Rayquaza @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Waterfall
- V-create
- Extreme Speed

Dialga @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Fire Blast
- Power Gem

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 100 SpD / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Skill Swap
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Xerneas @ Fairium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Geomancy
- Ingrain
- Rest
- Moonblast

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Psyshock
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
A simple HO team that I somehow ended up with after a day of trying to build a stall team, don't ask me how it happened u_u. The idea is that Goth + Mray beats stall, while lead Deo-S allows the team to gain the momentum and dual GeoXern are very hard to stop when you're on the back foot, especially when supported by banded Mray and with any stally mons trapped by Goth. This team would be fine except for a weakness to opposing offense, if they managed to gain the initiative. This is partially stopped by Scarf Dialga, which is surprisingly hard to both beat and conserve momentum against at the same time. This, in combination with ray's banded Espeed, allows the team enough tools against offence to win if played correctly.
Lead Deoxys, and focus on preventing opposing hazards more than spikes stacking - against any opposing lead short of mental herb, you should be able to prevent rocks (which are unhealthy for M-ray) and at least get rocks for yourself. After that point, the team should try to wear down the opponent to the point where one of the xerns can sweep, while keeping the opponent on the back foot at all times. Goth traps a wide range of nuisances from chansey to support arceus to whatever meme Thimo decided to run that day. MRay gets a KO every time it comes in, so long as you're not afraid to double switch into gothitelle rather than using banded dragon ascent to catch out the opponent's counter. Dialga acts both as a revenge killer and a tank, answering opposing Mray and Ekillers relatively well while pressuring the opponent. Some opponents will be caught out by the scarf as well, which can be very useful. Feel free to use Sleep Talk over Power Gem if sleep is more of a concern than Ho-Oh. When the opposing team's Xern checks have been weakened, I find the best tactic is generally to use the Xern set less likely to sweep in order to wear down the last few answers, then at an opportune time set up the other Xern and win. Just be cautious of using Ingrain with the Z-Geo Xern while the opponent has answers such as Haze mons, as this allows the opponent to regain the momentum.

Last edited:
GRNBLN Offense (Salac Berry E-Killer)
Marshadow @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Substitute

Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Earthquake

Arceus @ Salac Berry
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Extreme Speed

Arceus-Poison @ Poisonium Z
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 16 SpA / 56 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Judgment

EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 40 SpA / 16 SpD / 104 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Defog
- Ice Beam
- Judgment

This team is build around CM Poisonceus + Sub Salac Berry E-Killer. With an increase of Marshadow and Fairyceus usage I wanted a CM Arceus form which can handle the first and is not weak to the later. Fire Blast could be switched with Flamethrower but is used over Earthpower to handle steeltypes better especially Celesteela. This leads to a PDon weakness hence Groundceus and Toxic Fairyceus to also deal with Mega Ray and Marshadow better. Marshadow and Scarf Mega Ray are used to revenge kill the likes of other CM or SD Arceus forms. Scarf Ray also deals with Psyspam teams when rocks are up or can function as a late game sweeper. Earthquake could be exchanged with Extreme Speed if you want another priority mon but even though I did not needed it much Earthquake is better for Rockceus. Last but not least Sub Salac Berry E-Killer. Sub is used to prevent status, predicting switches and to lower your hp to the point where Salac Berry activates. The Speed EVs are used to outspeed Deo-A after the speed boost and the rest is put into hp so you live non life orb Marshadows Close Combat from full and get the boost from the berry in the process. Sub+Leftovers is also an option for which I leave a second paste. https://pastebin.com/wR99n1BM

Last edited:
Since my old sample has been martyred by the pesky thing called Marshadow, it's time to update:
Deoxys-Speed @ Light Clay
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 60 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Draco Meteor
- V-create
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed

Xerneas @ Fairium Z
Bold Nature
- Geomancy
- Ingrain
- Moonblast
- Rest

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Shadow Sneak

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 8 Def / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
- Oblivion Wing

Arceus @ Chople Berry
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake

Hyper Offense has shaped the playstyle of AG since the advent of Mega-Rayquaza, and even in this generation, this playstyle continues to perverse throughout the AG ladder. Hyper Offense, in general, relies on powerful setup sweepers that, individually, can completely decimate many teams after their respective checks have been worn down. This hyper offensive team, featuring Life Orb Mega-Rayquaza, is a classic Hyper Offensive build modified for this Generation's metagame. Through applying consistent offensive pressure, this archetype can successfully win against any opposing archetype, be it stall, balance, or offense.

Hyper Offense's best friend against stall are the wallbreakers that it packs, and this team is no different. Life Orb Rayquaza and Life Orb Yveltal are powerful wallbreakers that have very few switch ins, as both pack tremendously powerful STAB attacks thatdecimate almost anything that switches in. Rayquaza-Mega has one switch-in (Lugia), which gets taken care of by Yveltal. Using Rayquaza can help break cores, with Yveltal providing back up as necessary. After the stall core is broken, Arceus and Marshadow can generally clean up late game by utilizing their powerful STAB moves.

The strategy against balance involves setting up hazards with Deoxys-Speed, and then maintaining offensive pressure. This is generally where Geomancy Xerneas and Swords Dance Arceus-Normal can shine, as the two complement each other very well by breaking each other's checks.

Against opposing offensive teams, Deoxys-Speed becomes increasingly critical, as Light Screen and Reflect can provide the key difference in a fast paced battle. Generally, getting a single set-up sweeper to set up can enable a sweep, yet the opponent can also do that to you. The wallbreakers, as a result, are much less important.

Hyper Offensive teams are a staple to the Anything Goes metagame and provide a fast paced game for those who prefer to overwhelm their opponents with offensive pressure. This Hyper Offensive team is a fantastic team for both those starting out in the tier as well as veterans who want a team that will continue to impress with its nuances.

And here is another surprisingly good Specs Mega Rayquaza Team:
Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Atk / 52 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Recover

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Defog

EVs: 240 HP / 180 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Toxic
- Defog

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Ascent
- Overheat
- Surf

Lunala @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Shield
Modest Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

This is a balance team that utilizes Specs M-Ray and Ho-oh to effectively break down defensive cores, back by a solid revenge killer in Lunala and a defensive backbone in the dual defog Arceus Formes and a Ferrothorn to set hazards. While this team may struggle against stall, it's ability to dismantle offense and balance allows it to prove its worth.

Greninja hazard stack HO by I Shuckle

Importable
Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Precipice Blades
- Roar

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Shadow Sneak
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Extreme Speed

Arceus-Ghost @ Ghostium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Force
- Brick Break
- Extreme Speed

Timid Nature
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Refresh

Arceus @ Chople Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Description
The main idea behind this team is to get up hazards and weaken the opposing team with them as well as breaking walls with Mega Rayquaza in order to win with priority spam. In order to reach that goal the team needs a lead which on the one hand can beat most opposing leads and on the other hand pressure the opposing team with hazards. Greninja and its move pool plus protein fits that purpose perfectly as it is able to beat Deoxys-S, Deoxys-A, Arceus-Fairy and gets up hazards against Groudon as well as Shuckle. Groudon provides rock support and gives the team a back up for special sweepers such as Arceus-Fairy, Xerneas and Arceus-Steel. Mega Rayquaza tears opposing walls like Lugia and support Arceus forms down so the priority spammers can win easily in the late game. Arceus-Fairy is the Marshadow, Yveltal and Mega Raquaza check on the team, last resort late game sweeper and also functions as a status absorber. Arceus-Ghost and Arceus provide an amazing priority offensive core and finish the weakened team. The team is basically a new interpretation of old school priority spam hyper offense.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
GRNBLN Offense (Salac Berry E-Killer)
Marshadow @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Substitute

Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Earthquake

Arceus @ Salac Berry
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Extreme Speed

Arceus-Poison @ Poisonium Z
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb

EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 16 SpA / 56 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Judgment

EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 40 SpA / 16 SpD / 104 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Defog
- Ice Beam
- Judgment

This team is build around CM Poisonceus + Sub Salac Berry E-Killer. With an increase of Marshadow and Fairyceus usage I wanted a CM Arceus form which can handle the first and is not weak to the later. Fire Blast could be switched with Flamethrower but is used over Earthpower to handle steeltypes better especially Celesteela. This leads to a PDon weakness hence Groundceus and Toxic Fairyceus to also deal with Mega Ray and Marshadow better. Marshadow and Scarf Mega Ray are used to revenge kill the likes of other CM or SD Arceus forms. Scarf Ray also deals with Psyspam teams when rocks are up or can function as a late game sweeper. Earthquake could be exchanged with Extreme Speed if you want another priority mon but even though I did not needed it much Earthquake is better for Rockceus. Last but not least Sub Salac Berry E-Killer. Sub is used to prevent status, predicting switches and to lower your hp to the point where Salac Berry activates. The Speed EVs are used to outspeed Deo-A after the speed boost and the rest is put into hp so you live non life orb Marshadows Close Combat from full and get the boost from the berry in the process. Sub+Leftovers is also an option for which I leave a second paste. https://pastebin.com/wR99n1BM
What's the use of Salac Berry? to outspeed Marshadow?

Also, after using this team for a while, I realized it absolutely and i mean ABSOLUTELY can't do anything to a combination of Ferrothorn + anything that can take on Arceus Poison. What I had trouble with just now was Ferrothorn + Groundceus. Your team literally gets 6-0'd by this combination.

I don't know much about the tier but changing mega ray from scarf to LO with 4 attacks with one of them being espeed sounds like the best solution. this way you get 3 forms of priority to replace letting go of the scarf, while still being able to at least break ferrothorn and whatever other defensive mon they have.

Cam

The Colby Covington Of Smogon
is a Tiering Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
What's the use of Salac Berry? to outspeed Marshadow?

Also, after using this team for a while, I realized it absolutely and i mean ABSOLUTELY can't do anything to a combination of Ferrothorn + anything that can take on Arceus Poison. What I had trouble with just now was Ferrothorn + Groundceus. Your team literally gets 6-0'd by this combination.

I don't know much about the tier but changing mega ray from scarf to LO with 4 attacks with one of them being espeed sounds like the best solution. this way you get 3 forms of priority to replace letting go of the scarf, while still being able to at least break ferrothorn and whatever other defensive mon they have.
Salac is used to outspeed marshadow but it also seems unnecessarily difficult to get set up, having to get to a low percentage of HP to get the speed boost which is likely only going to help you with marshadow. I would imagine using the bulky chople ekiller set would be more suitable than salac as you wouldn't have to give up one of your moveslots to sub just to be able to beat marshadow. So maybe EQ instead of sub to hit ferro. I don't really see the appeal of sub ekiller as it doesn't need to outspeed Deo A after salac, when it can just kill it with Espeed if rocks are up. It doesn't seem like its worth sacrificing a coverage move for the sub set.

Salac is used to outspeed marshadow but it also seems unnecessarily difficult to get set up, having to get to a low percentage of HP to get the speed boost which is likely only going to help you with marshadow. I would imagine using the bulky chople ekiller set would be more suitable than salac as you wouldn't have to give up one of your moveslots to sub just to be able to beat marshadow. So maybe EQ instead of sub to hit ferro. I don't really see the appeal of sub ekiller as it doesn't need to outspeed Deo A after salac, when it can just kill it with Espeed if rocks are up. It doesn't seem like its worth sacrificing a coverage move for the sub set.
I never had (big) problems with ferrothorn and was not reliant on posionceus to kill it but Idk if thats just me. Also I dont think LO really helps that much more against Ferro as the main two attacks you would go for (especially when oppsing Fairyceus or Ferrothorn is still alive) are Dragon Ascent and V-Create which both deal with Ferrothorn rather well. Salac Berry is used for Marshadow and Deoxys-A. Deoxys nowadays is almost always paired with Psychic Terrain so ESpeeding it is almost never an option while you could use Sub to maybe stallout a few psychic terrain turns vs. lele and/or get the boost to simply outspeed to shadow claw and being able to ESpeed the common jolly scarf rays used along side psyspam as it is not grounded. I considered Chople Berry but its only useful vs. Marshadow while sub+salac provides more options Imo. EQ is still an option either instead of Sub or SClaw but Sub EKiller has proved its use plenty of times to me especially when setting up to +6 on Celesteela. Though I understand Substitute and even more Salac Berry might not be everyones favorite choice and not the best set in all situations. Ray set is pretty much exchangeable with banded also being a good option but being scarf instead of lo or band has also proved its use to me but I understand the lack in damage or not being able to switch moves also has its drawbacks. But getting suprise outspeeds and being faster than alot of stuff (Max Speed Timid Arceus especially with or without CM) helped me perform quite well with this team.

Last edited:
Toxapex stall by fardin
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Def / 244 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Confide
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Arceus-Steel @ Iron Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Stealth Rock

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Protect
- Toxic
- Recover

EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Defog

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 8 SpD / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Whirlwind

Toxapex @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
- Haze
- Recover
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes

I actually used this team in OMPL, and it works quite well. It's just a simple generic stall where Lugia is the counter to threats such as, SD Pdon, LO mega-rayquaza, SD Ekiller, Zygarde and a few other set up sweepers. Steel ceus is there so it provides the team with a Band Mega-rayquaza switch-in, toxic immunity, and a way to just 6-0 Baton pass, since steel types with stealth rock do that fairy good. Msab is there for obvious reasons, since its the best poke a stall team could ever have. Magic bounce with a very nice bulk shuts down annoying pokemons like ferrothorn, most suicide leads, some support arceus, and its typing allows it to deal with Ekiller + Marsh. Its presence alone puts pressure on the opponent and makes him think twice before throwing out some status or hazards. Chansey is my main switch-in to most Sp Attackers, and thanks to confide, its able to check every CM user in the game, that would otherwise destroy most stalls. Since my team was kind of weak to Mega-Gengar + Xern/Refresh CM arceus, I decided to add another mixed wall, Toxapex. Toxapex isn't weak to Mega-Gengar, and thanks to its amazing mixed bulk, it can come in to almost every CM user and use Haze to remove those boosts while also having enough health to survive the next hit and heal back up to full. Its ability regen is also extremely useful and allows it to come in on almost the whole meta without worrying much about its health. It also provides the team with Toxic Spikes. Arceus ground is there so the team doesn't get 6-0d by Rest Pdon, SD Steel ceus, Lucario, etc. and its just a good physical wall that has a great synergy with Toxapex.
Hey! I found out that Mega-Gengar and especially Megagar + Ogre are really hard for this team to deal with. Gengar traps chansey and lugia and after that the team has no switch ins for kyogre. I would suggest shed shell blissey or Psychic on Lugia to at least have an answere for Gar. Hope I helped improving.

Fardin

Tournament Banned
Hey! I found out that Mega-Gengar and especially Megagar + Ogre are really hard for this team to deal with. Gengar traps chansey and lugia and after that the team has no switch ins for kyogre. I would suggest shed shell blissey or Psychic on Lugia to at least have an answere for Gar. Hope I helped improving.
yh, that stall has a hard time with that core. shed shell blissey isnt really an option cause the team needs chansey's bulk, but psychic over ice beam on lugia sounds nice. btw as long as u can toxic ogre, with a few predictions u can get rid of it. but yah, there isnt any safe way to handle those 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)