Metagame USUM AG Metagame Discussion Thread

yh, that stall has a hard time with that core. shed shell blissey isnt really an option cause the team needs chansey's bulk, but psychic over ice beam on lugia sounds nice. btw as long as u can toxic ogre, with a few predictions u can get rid of it. but yah, there isnt any safe way to handle those 2
maybe you could test out stone edge on arceus-ground because a well played life orb Ho-Oh with toxic is a pain for the team too. It gets free switch ins on pex, Arceus-Steel and Arceus-Ground and can toxic its checks efficiantly. Otherwise this team is one of the solidst stall teams i have ever played with

Fardin

Tournament Banned
maybe you could test out stone edge on arceus-ground because a well played life orb Ho-Oh with toxic is a pain for the team too. It gets free switch ins on pex, Arceus-Steel and Arceus-Ground and can toxic its checks efficiantly. Otherwise this team is one of the solidst stall teams i have ever played with
nah, toxa helps a bunch since it got regen, and once i toxic it with any of my mons, it will be very easy for me to wear it down. arceus ground just stops it completely, and if its health is around 50%, i can even bring in chansey on an incoming brave bird and let it kill itself...tho that option isnt always recommended

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I never had (big) problems with ferrothorn and was not reliant on posionceus to kill it but Idk if thats just me. Also I dont think LO really helps that much more against Ferro as the main two attacks you would go for (especially when oppsing Fairyceus or Ferrothorn is still alive) are Dragon Ascent and V-Create which both deal with Ferrothorn rather well. Salac Berry is used for Marshadow and Deoxys-A. Deoxys nowadays is almost always paired with Psychic Terrain so ESpeeding it is almost never an option while you could use Sub to maybe stallout a few psychic terrain turns vs. lele and/or get the boost to simply outspeed to shadow claw and being able to ESpeed the common jolly scarf rays used along side psyspam as it is not grounded. I considered Chople Berry but its only useful vs. Marshadow while sub+salac provides more options Imo. EQ is still an option either instead of Sub or SClaw but Sub EKiller has proved its use plenty of times to me especially when setting up to +6 on Celesteela. Though I understand Substitute and even more Salac Berry might not be everyones favorite choice and not the best set in all situations. Ray set is pretty much exchangeable with banded also being a good option but being scarf instead of lo or band has also proved its use to me but I understand the lack in damage or not being able to switch moves also has its drawbacks. But getting suprise outspeeds and being faster than alot of stuff (Max Speed Timid Arceus especially with or without CM) helped me perform quite well with this team.
I used the team a bit more today and I legitimately don't know how you don't have problems with ferrothorn. It's such a huge problem and I don't even know why it is lmao. To help fix it a bit I removed SR from fairyceus and put it on groundceus over ice beam. I haven't found myself using ice beam too often and mega ray will get a kill every time it comes in safely anyway so keeping it on groundceus felt redundant. I also started using CB mega ray just to test it out.

I am honestly shocked how this team has such huge problems against Ferrothorn. Fire blast from poisonceus doesn't even OHKO without prior damage jesus fucking christ. what a cancer mon lmao

The bigger problem is probably the residual damage ferro causes the team. Nothing on your team likes getting weakened and ferrothorn sets up either a spike or leech seed on whatever your switch in is, and the damage on all your mons just keeps racking up, and that's a huge problem. I think it's the result of having 4 arceus that aren't able to hold leftovers.

On mobile so excuse brevity...

avocado looking at this team yes it has a problem with ferrothorn not to mention pogre but I guess you can try wisp on groundceus to help alleviate that issue.

Ultimately having marshadow as the only reliable ferro answer can be a problem, but I guess every team has a weakness.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I also think ekiller is extremely replaceable in that team but idk what to replace it with. Maybe ho-oh? or if a mon exists that can beat both ferro and pogre, then that, probably.

Fardin

Tournament Banned
I used the team a bit more today and I legitimately don't know how you don't have problems with ferrothorn. It's such a huge problem and I don't even know why it is lmao. To help fix it a bit I removed SR from fairyceus and put it on groundceus over ice beam. I haven't found myself using ice beam too often and mega ray will get a kill every time it comes in safely anyway so keeping it on groundceus felt redundant. I also started using CB mega ray just to test it out.

I am honestly shocked how this team has such huge problems against Ferrothorn. Fire blast from poisonceus doesn't even OHKO without prior damage jesus fucking christ. what a cancer mon lmao

The bigger problem is probably the residual damage ferro causes the team. Nothing on your team likes getting weakened and ferrothorn sets up either a spike or leech seed on whatever your switch in is, and the damage on all your mons just keeps racking up, and that's a huge problem. I think it's the result of having 4 arceus that aren't able to hold leftovers.
Chople berry on arcues is useless, since u got poison ceus + fairy ceus for marsh. lefty with sub instead would be super helpful, especially vs ferro + cele who r quite annoying to ur team. after that change, ferro wont be that big of a problem, since 4 out of ur 6 pokes can threatn it out..so as long as u play aggressivly, u'll be fine. i also recommend fthrower over fblast on poison ceus. fblast has a very shitty pp, and as we know, both ferro and cele carry protect so there is a chance that they can easily stall u out. fthrower got 24 pp, so ur free to spam it and dont have to worry about conserving its pp. the damage diff isnt really that much and even vs cele, i would still use it lol. u miss once with flbast and it will be able to stall it out easily with leech + protect + sub..its a shit move if u ask me

there arent many pokes that can deal with ferro easily, thats why its so annoying playing vs it. just make sure to predict when it would come in, and punish it with Sub arceus if u expect hazards or poison ceus

Here is my lovers and lovers of shuckle here is my secret for be in laddetr with 1500-1700points
The Slo (Shuckle) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Encore

Soul Stealer (Yveltal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 198 HP / 54 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Foul Play
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch

OH MY GOD (Arceus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw

Destructor (Arceus-Ground) @ Earth Plate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

GHOST OF EKILLER (Arceus-Ghost) @ Ghostium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Force
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Brick Break

LORD (Rayquaza-Mega) @ Life Orb
Ability: Delta Stream
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- V-create
- Dragon Ascent

Last edited:

Reffrey

Banned deucer.
Here's a marshadow offensive team that I've made recently, it got me to #2 on ladder and I probably could have made it to number 1 if not for hax. I won games against solid players such as WTF THE STALLS, dsmp, and GRNBLN, so I am pretty satisfied with it. My elo peak was 2065.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- V-create

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Substitute
- Shadow Sneak

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Dragon Tail

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Defog
- Recover
- Toxic

Arceus-Steel @ Iron Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Flamethrower

Arceus-Ground @ Groundium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Magic Coat

Now I know it may seem weird that I run choice scarf mega-ray, but it has surprisingly proven to be very useful, especially against deoxys-a tapu lele teams. Once stealth rock is up rayquaza plows right through lele spam, as it has just enough speed evs to outspeed deoxys. It also catches mega gengar and marshadow by surprise since they expect to outspeed it. The marshadow set is pretty standard, and originally I had it equipped with marshadium z but I changed it to life orb. It checks most arceus forms that like to set up calm mind or swords dance, and is overall a potent revenge killer and sweeper (similar to choice scarf rayquaza). The special defense primal groudon and calm mind steelceus work together to defend against xerneas, as well as put pressure on arceus-fairy and arceus-poison. The reason why I have flamethrower on steelceus is to give myself a better matchup against ferrothorn and celesteela, and the hp evs are necessary to survive non life orb marshadow close-combat. The fairyceus set is pretty standard; used as a defogger and mega-ray check, and last but not least, swords dance groudceus with magic coat and groundium-z serves as an anti-lead against shuckle and smeargle, as well as being a potent sweeper and soft check to ho-oh (due to stone edge). I'd say the biggest weaknesses for this team are primal kyogre and baton pass, but they can both be handled. Geomancy xerneas can also be a problem in rare cases if it sets up at the right time.

replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-631010323 vs GRNBLN
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-630651625 vs WTF THE STALLS
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-630940486 vs game18 (some random good player)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-630738899 vs monkeykiran
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-630424853 vs columbiauniversity
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-630055022 vs yer blues

Also most of the replays are from when the team was slightly different, but I mean the team is better now than it was then. Too bad I don't have many replays of it in its current state but oh well. :]

elo peak:
Screenshot (26).png

pichus

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
OMPL Champion
Here's a marshadow offensive team that I've made recently, it got me to #2 on ladder and I probably could have made it to number 1 if not for hax. I won games against solid players such as WTF THE STALLS, dsmp, and GRNBLN, so I am pretty satisfied with it. My elo peak was 2065.

Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- V-create

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Substitute
- Shadow Sneak

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Dragon Tail

Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Defog
- Recover
- Toxic

Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Flamethrower

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Magic Coat

Now I know it may seem weird that I run choice scarf mega-ray, but it has surprisingly proven to be very useful, especially against deoxys-a tapu lele teams. Once stealth rock is up rayquaza plows right through lele spam, as it has just enough speed evs to outspeed deoxys. It also catches mega gengar and marshadow by surprise since they expect to outspeed it. The marshadow set is pretty standard, and originally I had it equipped with marshadium z but I changed it to life orb. It checks most arceus forms that like to set up calm mind or swords dance, and is overall a potent revenge killer and sweeper (similar to choice scarf rayquaza). The special defense primal groudon and calm mind steelceus work together to defend against xerneas, as well as put pressure on arceus-fairy and arceus-poison. The reason why I have flamethrower on steelceus is to give myself a better matchup against ferrothorn and celesteela, and the hp evs are necessary to survive non life orb marshadow close-combat. The fairyceus set is pretty standard; used as a defogger and mega-ray check, and last but not least, swords dance groudceus with magic coat and groundium-z serves as an anti-lead against shuckle and smeargle, as well as being a potent sweeper and soft check to ho-oh (due to stone edge). I'd say the biggest weaknesses for this team are primal kyogre and baton pass, but they can both be handled. Geomancy xerneas can also be a problem in rare cases if it sets up at the right time.

replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-630940486 vs game18 (some random good player)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-630424853 vs columbiauniversity

Also most of the replays are from when the team was slightly different, but I mean the team is better now than it was then. Too bad I don't have many replays of it in its current state but oh well. :]

elo peak:
flamethrower isnt as good as earth power or ancient rock on steelceus because ho-oh or pdon threatens it more than celesteela or ferro does.
fwiw you can cm to +6 with steelceus on ferro and celesteela, since leech seed only takes away 12% per turn and gyro ball or heavy slam or flame charge doesnt do much either.

Reffrey

Banned deucer.
flamethrower isnt as good as earth power or ancient rock on steelceus because ho-oh or pdon threatens it more than celesteela or ferro does.
fwiw you can cm to +6 with steelceus on ferro and celesteela, since leech seed only takes away 12% per turn and gyro ball or heavy slam or flame charge doesnt do much either.
Well the annoying thing about celesteela is that once it sets up substitute it's really hard to kill even with the calm mind boosts due to it being able to pp stall with sub and protect. I prefer flamethrower but ancient power or earth power can definitely be justified using (although ancient power is a bit of a meme).

SaturnZelda

formerly TylerWithNumbers
Well the annoying thing about celesteela is that once it sets up substitute it's really hard to kill even with the calm mind boosts due to it being able to pp stall with sub and protect. I prefer flamethrower but ancient power or earth power can definitely be justified using (although ancient power is a bit of a meme).
Any Calm Mind Steelceus beats any variant of Celesteela and/or Ferrothorn WITHOUT Flamethrower. I get you're paranoid about them, but Steelceus 1v1s them all the same. Most Celesteela in AG are physically defensive without fire coverage (outside of Flame Charge, which isn't hitting you hard anyways), which makes them an easy setup for Steelceus.

0 Atk Celesteela Flame Charge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Steel: 64-76 (16.7 - 19.9%) -- guaranteed 6HKO

+6 252 SpA Arceus-Steel Judgment vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Celesteela: 203-239 (51 - 60%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Leech Seed recovery

+6 252 SpA Arceus-Steel Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 133-157 (37.7 - 44.6%) -- 92.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery and Leech Seed recovery

0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Steel: 52-62 (13.6 - 16.2%) -- 2% chance to 4HKO after Leech Seed damage

Earth Power is just a much better option to deal with PDon. Attacking with solely Judgment will get you the kill against both Ferrothorn and Celesteela without any danger of being KOed.

Any Calm Mind Steelceus beats any variant of Celesteela and/or Ferrothorn WITHOUT Flamethrower. I get you're paranoid about them, but Steelceus 1v1s them all the same. Most Celesteela in AG are physically defensive without fire coverage (outside of Flame Charge, which isn't hitting you hard anyways), which makes them an easy setup for Steelceus.

0 Atk Celesteela Flame Charge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Steel: 64-76 (16.7 - 19.9%) -- guaranteed 6HKO

+6 252 SpA Arceus-Steel Judgment vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Celesteela: 203-239 (51 - 60%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Leech Seed recovery

+6 252 SpA Arceus-Steel Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 133-157 (37.7 - 44.6%) -- 92.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery and Leech Seed recovery

0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Steel: 52-62 (13.6 - 16.2%) -- 2% chance to 4HKO after Leech Seed damage

Earth Power is just a much better option to deal with PDon. Attacking with solely Judgment will get you the kill against both Ferrothorn and Celesteela without any danger of being KOed.
These aren't true at all. Flame Charge Celesteela will handily defeat Calm Mind steelceus, and even the regular form can succesfully PP stall if it predicts well. Flamethrower means you have to go through a far lower amount of sub and protect pp first, and is actually doable since you can cm on protect.

Also, unless you really want to be laxpras you should probably run iron plate on CM Judgment Arceus Steel, tyler.

Fardin

Tournament Banned

Flame charge helps cele outspeed and therefore easily walling almost every cm arc with leech + sub. Use either fthrower / fire blast or epower. Ancient power is thrash

SaturnZelda

Flame charge helps cele outspeed and therefore easily walling almost every cm arc with leech + sub. Use either fthrower / fire blast or epower. Ancient power is thrash
Yeah, my bad. Didn't realize how well Flame Charge beat those. But yeah, Ancient Power's just bad

Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- V-create

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Substitute
- Shadow Sneak

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Lava Plume
- Dragon Tail

Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Defog
- Recover
- Toxic

Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Flamethrower

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Magic Coat

replays:

elo peak:
Nice balance squad. I would consider choiche band Rayquaza on the team since you lack any offensive pressure to break through stall. Arceus-Steel gets walled by chansey and arceus-ground checked by lugia as well as giratina. Groudon isnt offensive so it cant break through the common defogers, being arceus-ground and giratina, and struggles with keeping up rocks. Even though banded doesnt auto win against stall you at least dont auto loose against it.
You also seem to struggle breaking through arceus-water so i would recomand toxic on groudon to deal better with that.
Magic coat on Groundceus semms a bit odd,because smeargle spins away coated webs and girantina d tails groundceus, so you might want to try out recover or e speed to one have a secondary win condition bar steelceus and two for speed control.
Hope I helped

pichus

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
OMPL Champion
okay, thanks for explaining. But if you really want to beat celesteela, wouldnt thunderbolt be a better option since you also beat ho-oh as a bonus? I think thunderbolt will be a better choice since you are doing equal damage to celesteela but also hitting ho-oh ( you can beat ferrothorn with judgment anyway ).

SaturnZelda

okay, thanks for explaining. But if you really want to beat celesteela, wouldnt thunderbolt be a better option since you also beat ho-oh as a bonus? I think thunderbolt will be a better choice since you are doing equal damage to celesteela but also hitting ho-oh ( you can beat ferrothorn with judgment anyway ).
I'd say run Thunder over Thunderbolt if any electric coverage at all, for nearly the same reason Xerneas runs Thunder over it. +1 Thunder 2HKOs (assuming it doesn't miss), while Thunderbolt usually doesn't.

+1 252 SpA Arceus-Steel Thunderbolt vs. 224 HP / 72 SpD Ho-Oh: 182-216 (44.4 - 52.8%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO

+1 252 SpA Arceus-Steel Thunder vs. 224 HP / 72 SpD Ho-Oh: 222-262 (54.2 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

pichus

OMPL Champion
I'd say run Thunder over Thunderbolt if any electric coverage at all, for nearly the same reason Xerneas runs Thunder over it. +1 Thunder 2HKOs (assuming it doesn't miss), while Thunderbolt usually doesn't.

+1 252 SpA Arceus-Steel Thunderbolt vs. 224 HP / 72 SpD Ho-Oh: 182-216 (44.4 - 52.8%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO

+1 252 SpA Arceus-Steel Thunder vs. 224 HP / 72 SpD Ho-Oh: 222-262 (54.2 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
i think PP is very important since celesteela can stall it out of thunders (protect or switch out). Plus Thunder's accuracy is a very big drawback, imo thunderbolt is still better.
EDIT: oops i thought thunder had only 8pp. Still, I prefer thunderbolt over thunder since you arent landing a thunder and if it sets up sub , it will be harder to deal with x.x

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Heya everyone!

We've updated sample teams to reflect the current metagame a lot better. We've removed all but two of the previous samples and picked an additional seven teams to represent the rest of the metagame. Thimo and I were hard at work ensuring all these teams had no major groundbreaking flaws, and we're quite happy with these nine. That being said, we're still open to any future submissions and encourage you to post teams if you feel as if they could be a potential sample team. Thanks for all your submissions, and I'm sorry we couldn't choose all of them.

Next on the agenda is making sure the resources thread is up to date and correct. The role compendium, speed tiers and other resources are quite outdated and should see an update within the next week or so.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Sorry for the one liner but what exactly does Barbaracle do that makes it viable? Is it some sort of Z-Move Tough Claws combo or...

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Sorry for the one liner but what exactly does Barbaracle do that makes it viable? Is it some sort of Z-Move Tough Claws combo or...
The idea is that after a shell smash it beats pokemon like pdon and ekiller 1v1 thanks to air balloon:
252+ Atk Arceus Extreme Speed vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Barbaracle: 90-106 (31.5 - 37.1%) -- 84.4% chance to 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 259-306 (58.7 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That said, I'd consider it still very much a meme because you can say the same of many mons, like geoxern or dd mray, and the ability to beat stuff after setup isn't exactly impressive given the support you need to get that setup. Overall you should make sure your team doesn't outright lose to barbaracle, but further than that you can just ignore it.

Disclaimer: I've never used the mon myself, but if I'm missing something then it's something I haven't seen in battles where people used it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)