1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Apex 2013 - Cash Prizes for Pokémon at World's Largest Smash Bros. Tournament

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Firestorm, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG]

Apex is an annual tournament held in New Brunswick, New Jersey that has become the largest Super Smash Bros. event of the year. In addition to being the World's largest Smash Bros. tournament, it is also a Major in the FGC featuring top talent in games like Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition and Marvel vs Capcom 3. For a second year in a row, Apex will be including Pokémon in its lineup.

Later rounds in the tournament will be streamed live by CLASH Tournaments starting at 8:00 PM Eastern. Before that, the stream will showcase doubles matches in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

[youtube]moXb78ZNgho[/youtube]

Qualifiers
    Like last year, this will be a seeded tournament. Seeding will be determined by qualifiers leading up to the event. Two of the six qualifiers are left. Unlike last year, these qualifiers will be held using the Nintendo WiFi Connection rather than Pokémon Online. Nugget Bridge's Live tournaments are being used as qualifiers.

Apex should be an incredibly cool experience and I encourage everyone in the area to show up!
  2. Cybertron

Cybertron Can't Hit WoW
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I will be here! Hope to meet some new faces :)
  3. theamericandream38

theamericandream38

Yeah I am going as well, looking forward to it =D
  4. evan

evan I did my best -- I have no regrets
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I will be attending and casting for the livestream of the tournament.
  5. smashlloyd20

smashlloyd20

Goddamit this has both pokemon and fighting games and I won't be able to go even though I live less than an hour away
  6. Smashking

Smashking

OH MY GODD. I go to rutgers! i live right there!! im going. lol
  7. LudiImpact

LudiImpact

Can't wait! It's day before my birthday so doing good would be a great birthday gift!
  8. MikeDecIsHere

MikeDecIsHere And the haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate.
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

I will be there. Hope to meet some cool people.

Unseeded again this year let's get it
  9. massi4h

massi4h

I stopped playing pokemon mid gen 4, but I've been following the FGC for ages. Hopefully this gets on stream and gets some interest. Would be great.
  10. Frog

Frog

It's really neat to see pokemon recognized as a competitive game among other popular competitive games like smash bros.
  11. Firestorm

is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

As mentioned in the OP, Pokemon will be streamed starting at 8PM Eastern by CLASH Tournaments using Twitch. The stream should be featured on the home page of Smogon, Marriland, and Nugget Bridge.
  12. Firestorm

Update: Apparently the stream will be starting at 5PM Eastern instead!
  13. Texas Cloverleaf

Texas Cloverleaf meh
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

14. GGengar

GGengar

What Smogonites are competing?
  15. Mocha

Mocha

As both a competitive Brawl and Pokemon player, I'm really hyped watching the stream. Can't wait till they start showing Pokemon though. Good luck to everyone (:
  16. [K-12] The Madchine

[K-12] The Madchine

Woah! I don´t know the passion of SSB in this forum.
    Almost I go to the tournament of smash bros melee... but I haven´t much money :(
    Go Strawhat Dahean! Go OverTriforce! my spanish friends of Smas Bros. Melee! :D
  17. Hulavuta

Hulavuta Mr. Wonderful
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

I really like Super Smash Bros too but wow this gives me such a rush of perspective. I really suck worse than I thought xD I'm nowhere near as good as these guys. Although I am learning a lot just by watching.
  18. GGengar

GGengar

Well Pokemon hasnt happened for 3 hours lol
  19. Mocha

Mocha

Yeah, I haven't seen Pokemon up yet either - and they're STILL doing Doubles for Brawl, which means they'll need to do Singles as well.

They should have had two separate streams imo
  20. BlakDragon

BlakDragon

Okay so, I think Pokemon is currently going (if it didn't come and go already) w/o being streamed, on Twitch anyway ¬_¬

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/28414729

That's apparently one of the matchups on Ustream for some reason.
    I dunno man, kinda looking like the hype is all going to waste unless they're going to hold off playing the finals after Brawl doubles or something.
  21. Firestorm

They're realllyyy behind schedule in Smash and it screwed up Pokemon completely. Should be up in a bit. Sorry for the stream on the front page of Smogon. That wasn't supposed to go live until Pokemon started and I didn't realize it was still up.
  22. Mocha

Mocha

They really should have had separate streams for each Pokemon, Brawl, and Melee. And Brawl is really long because they stream both Doubles and Singles. But thanks for posting that anyway, at least it gives us something to look at, even if it was awkwardly filmed.
  23. MikeDecIsHere

MikeDecIsHere And the haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate.
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

Pokemon is coming up in a bit
  24. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

Pokémon is about to start! Everyone should go check it out, seems like there's some action about to go down. Ray Rizzo and Evan Latt are commentators.

(Is Ray one of ours?)
  25. Eraddd

Eraddd One Pixel
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

evan and ray doing a strong commentating job.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)