ORAS OU Apocalypse - 100th post RMT

Exiline

Banned deucer.
is a Past SCL Championis a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion

Welcome to my 100th post RMT! With the coming of Hoopa, I decided to build a balanced team around it and showcase it here. The main goal of the team is a late game sweep from Sword Dance Scizor-Mega or Bulk up Talonflame--which are the two main winning conditions. To help them sweep, I use Hoopa-Unbound's fantastic ability to break opposing walls and make the sweep of Talonflame/Scizor easier. But seeing as how Hoopa is frail, I add two Volt Switch/U-turn (Scizor and Raikou) users to place it more easily on the field. Finally, I add some defensive backbone and hazards maintenance (Hippowdon and Starmie).

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Gunk Shot

The star of the team! The goal of this monster is to destroy/weaken opposing walls with is amazing fire power (he 2HKOs all the meta. ban this thing omg) to open up the talonflame/scizor sweep. I choose the dark/fight/poison coverage because nobody resists to all these 3 moves, and I added energy ball because my team struggles a bit against rotom. Also, it hits the other bulky waters and hippodown. Hyperspace fury is chosen over knock off to hit mega-pokemon like scizor-mega and sableye-mega (in addition it hits under substitute and protect and doesn't have any contact (hi garchomp and ferrothorn). I use focus blast over drainpunch to hit a harder against skarmory and ferrothorn.

Generally, I don't directly switch in hoopa but send it in the battle with the help of u-turn or volt switch.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 60 Def / 124 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

The first main condition, his role is to bring momentum with u-uturn and obviously trying to sweep in later game. I choose sword dance and u-uturn on the same mon because when I end the game with scizor it's only with bullet punch and i don't really need extra coverage. Also u-turn is very useful to pivot around certain threat (scizor causes many switchs) and get the momentum advantage.
The given EVs are to Outspeed adamant max speed Azumarill and take special hits better.

It's also my main answer against things such as kyurem-white, metagross, hp fire-less venusaur, weavile...also it is able to switch on knock off hoopa without fire punch.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

The second main condition, it's role is burn everything, bring priority and like scizor sweep in lategame. I choose bulk up + will-o-wisp over taunt because my team is very weak to sableye-mega and talonflame without bulk up lose against sableye and Will-o-Wisp is absolutely needed.

It's my best answer to Charizard Y, Altaria-mega, Scizor, Clefable, Sableye... It's probably the most important team member, keep it alive. I use many speed EVS for beat opposing stallbreaker talonflame.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 112 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

The Stealth Rock setter! Most of the teams (especially the balanced) need a ground type for stop the volt switch spam and hippowdon is one of the best ground type at the moment: amazing physically bulk and decent special bulk, acces to stealth rock, bring sandstorm...

It's my main answer against raikou, manectric-mega, charizard x, offensive talonflame, and in general most of the physical attacker.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The second part of my Volturn core, I choose Raikou because it brings more speed in my team (even though I have Starmie and two strong priority users). It also checks many special attackers, builds momentum and helps me against Rotom-W (which is a threat for this team). Finally, it is a good bird check and is my main answer to Manaphy. I put Shadow Ball over Extrasensory because I do not need the extra coverage against Venusaur or Amoonguss.

Signal Beam over Shadow Ball is also a very nice option to kill Hoopa.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

With Talonflame in my team, I obviously need some hazard control.
Starmie spins the rocks while checking Keldeo and Heatran (both being threatening towards my two win conditions). Starmie is very good on this metagame because the hazard stacking strategy from Skarmory + Garchomp or Hippowdon is everywhere, and Starmie just spins their hopes and dreams away. I use Thunderbolt over Reflect Type/Psyschock because that hit keldeo and other water (especially gyarados).

Note that you need to play carefully if your opponent has a Pursuit trapper (but Scaldburn them all!)

: Hoopa is a big pain for all balance, if it's the physical set scizor can swith in safe (just check if it has fire punch), if it has hyperspace fury you can hurt it a lot with a bullet punch after the defense drop (from hyperspace fury). If it's the special set, kill it with raikou, talon flame or scizor.

The bellydrum/bander set can be annoying. If it's the belly drum set i can deal with it with my dual priority and starmie. If it's the bander i need predict well between scizor and starmie. Also don't forgot with it's spread scizor outspeed it.

: Same as hoopa, manaphy is a big threat for most of the balance build, raikou is my best answer to manaphy but the scald burn can be very annoying. When you face a manaphy team, play very aggresive.

: Stallbreaker talonflame can be very troublesome, you can beat him with your own talonflame (you outspeed him in 99% of the time) or with raikou and starmie.

: It can pursuit starmie which is your only hazard remover. Play very smart when you face a tyranitar (especially the scarf variant).

: The team struggle to kill this thing and it can bring momentum easily for my opponent, raikou is the first answer but you can also kill it with a hoopa's energy ball. Also it's the best check to my two win condition.

Apocalypse (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Gunk Shot

Steelwings (Scizor-Mega) (F) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 60 Def / 124 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Sunset (Talonflame) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Earthwall (Hippowdon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 112 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Amplified (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Geometry (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Reverb Noruega Vinc2612 for grammar check, thank you bro :D
Lacus Clyne Good fren, Anime god and Ubers players. Also it's one of the "Exi's Fan Club" member lol
Gros orteil Givrix Scythe. Miang Panure davidTheMaster Fairy Peak Wally The Bully Skyrio Raspberry Dlanyer santaK Pyrogon LetMeShine- Soldier Vinc608 French Frens :D
Lord Outrage Antacool very fun Ubers guys
majaspic22 GeeMick Genesis7 Mounts Reborn Fox Sacri' Tom0410 Sovahkiin Twin Citiez Leeeeo Ass Drillers toussa toussa ;]
~Exiline

Last edited:
Hi Exiline,

This is a pretty cool balanced team here. I like the use of Hoopa to wear down Scizor and Talonflame's checks, especially with Energy Ball hitting Rotom-W.

I noticed your team has a general problem with most water-types. For example, Gyarados and Mega-Gyaradoes can set-up on Starmie (barring a Scald burn), and deal heavy damage to your team, possibly sweeping if Scizor is weakened. Specs Keldeo can also be a problem if it has HP Electric for Starmie or Pursuit support. Rain teams can overwhelm Starmie and plow through your team while Rotom-W, Azumarill, and Manaphy are more water-type Pokemon that you've mentioned are difficult for your team to face.

Another slight problem I found with your team is Mega-Sableye. Mega-Sableye sets up a Calm Mind on most of your team and can also burn Scizor with Will-o-wisp. Although Talonflame checks Mega-Sableye, it's not the most reliable check since it can lose to Mega-Sableye if Stealth Rocks are up.

I think you should try replacing Hoopa-U, with a AV Serperior with Leaf Storm, HP Ground, Dragon Pulse, Giga Drain/Knock Off. Although Hoopa is one of the main/spotlight Pokemon of this team, I think your team would benefit more from Serperior since Serperior gives your team a good way to deal most of the water-type Pokemon that are giving your team trouble. Thanks to its useful water-type resistance and increased bulk due to Assault Vest, Serperior can easily switch-into Rotom-W and force it out with a powerful Leaf Storm. Serperior can also switch into water-type moves from Azumarill and Manaphy, outspeed them, and threaten them with a Leaf Storm. Leaf Storm also allows Serperior to beat CM Mega-Sableye if Mega-Sableye hasn't acquired too many boosts. With HP Ground, Serperior can lure in and KO Heatran, allowing Scizor and Talonflame to sweep much more easily. Dragon Pulse extends Serperior's coverage while Giga Drain gives Serperior some recovery. You could also try Knock Off to help wear down Serperior's checks such as Torn-T or Miracle Seed/LO for an item if you wanted a more offensive presence.

To help prevent Gyaradoes from setting up on your team, I think you could try Thunderbolt over Psyshock on Starmie. This allowing Starmie to deal heavy damage to Gyaradoes, allowing Talonflame or Scizor to revenge KO Gyaradoes.

Hope this helps!

Sets:
Serperior @ Assault Vest
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power Ground
- Giga Drain

Exiline

Banned deucer.
is a Past SCL Championis a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi moonclawz, I like thunderbolt starmie a lot and it's a very nice idea :D
Serperior seem cool too, I test it soon ^^'
Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)