Apprentice Program Signups: Old Gens OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Welcome to Battling 101! If you're seeking a tutor for any of the old generation OU tiers, you are in the right place. Please read all the rules carefully and fill out every part of the application.

THE RULES

• You must be able to access Skype, Discord, or whatever your tutor wants as the primary form of communication.
  • You must be willing to use Pokemon Showdown! even if you are being tutored in a cartridge format such as Battle Spot or VGC.
  • You, the tutee, are responsible for setting up times with your tutor. Don't expect them to come to you. Take the initiative and post on their VM wall first. Additionally, please be patient if your tutor doesn't respond in the first 2-3 days.
  • Use the Tutee Talk forum to complain about your tutor (or praise them if they're doing a good job). These are no longer mandatory, but if your tutor is ridiculously inactive or is a complete jackass, COMPLAIN HERE.Nobody can see your tutee talk posts except for you and the Battling 101 Staff; everything is confidential.
  • Don't request tutors unless they have agreed to tutor you.
  • You may request priority if you were skipped previously in 2016. Link your sign-up post from last year by going to the B101 Archive located in Thread Cryonics underneath Closed Forums.
  • If your timezone and hours of availability do not match up with the correct thread, your post will be deleted. Please PM a B101 mod if you are unsure about which thread to post in.
  • You may only post in ONE of the signup threads. Delete your post if you change your mind about signing up for something.

• NEW: You must have battled competitively for a decent amount in at least ONE of the Smogon tiers or Battle Spot / VGC to sign up. Playing 10 or so matches on the PS! ladder is not substantial enough, ~70 or so is more reasonable. This experience does not need to be for the format you sign-up for; this is just to weed out people who have never played competitively that can improve themselves simply by using resources already available to them without needing a tutor to hold their hand.
Any iteration of Ubers/OU/UU/RU/NU/PU/DOU/LC from any of the past generations.
Any iteration of Battle Spot / VGC formats.

Here is the signup template, and an example sign-up post.

Username:
PS! Username:
What format do you want to learn?:
Your timezone:
Usual Hours of Availability:
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?:
Do you understand how the blacklist works?:
example said:
Username: plus
PS! Username: youngme7o
What format do you want to learn?: ADV OU
Your timezone: EST (GMT -5)
Usual Hours of Availability: weekdays 8 PM - 12 AM, weekends 12 PM - 12 AM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing competitively in 2007 and decided to join Smogon to get better. Since then, I've played in tournaments like WCOP 2009 and SPL 1 way back in the day. Admittedly I've had less time to burn on Pokemon since then, but I still have fair knowledge in OU / UU / NU for all generations from DPP onwards.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes
The Blacklist (aka Battling 101 Detention)
You will be banned from signing up in the future if:
  • You show poor activity over a course of a month (banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
  • You decide during the tutoring round that you do not wish to be tutored anymore, or you mistakenly sign up for a tier you thought was something else, and no longer wish to be tutored. This is most common when selecting Smogon Doubles / VGC, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING (banned for 6 months)
  • You show a lack of enthusiasm or you're consistently distracted by other things (banned for 3 months)
  • You fail to complete the tutor evaluation form that we will send out during the last week of the round(banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
  • You are annoying to deal with. This will vary from tutor to tutor. Some tutors don't like it when you talk back, argue with them, whine about hax, whine about sucking at Pokemon, or any version of the 'woe is me' attitude. Tutors get pissed at different things, so if they complain to us that you are exhibiting poor behavior, expect to be on the blacklist.(banned for 3-6 months)
Repeated offense of any of the situations above can potentially mean a year ban. If you have been on the blacklist for three different instances, you will be EXPELLED from Battling 101 (perma-ban from signing up).

Last edited:
assigned to CZ

Username
: Peef Rimgar
PS! Username: Peef Rimgar
Usual Hours of Availability: Any time after noon, will vary around the 21st on account of uni
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started on Showdown right around the end of BW2, but got really into mons for XY. Never been some SPL class player but I definitely have knowledge to where you wont have someone clueless. ADV has been an interesting looking tier for me for some time, and now I've got some time and motivation so why not.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes, either is fine
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yup

Id like to request CZ, he's offered to tutor me already

Last edited by a moderator:
assigned to Mael

Username:
k3nan
PS! Username: k3nan
Your timezone: GMT +1 (France)
Usual Hours of Availability: weekdays 8 PM - 11 PM, weekends 10 AM - 9 PM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started to play competitively in 2012. I'm on smogon since 2015 and i want to progress in the ADV OU metagame. I played some major tournaments of Smogon like Classic and Smogon Tour. I'm actually playing World's Longest OU Tournament since it began.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes, both

Assigned to 6A9 Ace Matador

Username
: DeepBlueC
PS! Username: DeepBlueC
What format do you want to learn?: GSC OU
Your timezone: GMT + 4
Usual Hours of Availability: They're flexible and can be adjusted according to the tutor's convenience
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I mostly play DPP OU (have played in all of the DPP weeks of the latest smog tours) and I want to get a better understanding of the lower tiers, starting from GSC. I've been doing competitive battling for around 6 months and I'm generally a quick learner once I understand the mechanics of a generation.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
assigned to CZ

Username
: Capt. Knightwalker
PS! Username: CaptKnightwalker
What format do you want to learn?: DPP OU and ADV OU
Your timezone: GMT +3
Usual Hours of Availability: Between 2:30pm-4:00pm and 8:00pm-11:00pm most days
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Have played throughout the entire span of ORAS OU and some of the later half of XY OU. Im usually playing Ubers and NU but I wanna learn how DPP OU and ADV OU plays. Have been playing WLT for them so I have a general idea.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Both actually [Prefer Discord]
EDIT: I would like to request CZ who offered to tutor me!

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Username: Littlelucario
PS! Username: Littlelucario
What format do you want to learn?: DPP OU
Usual Hours of Availability: I can do pretty much any time that works for my tutor that's not during obscene hours.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started on Showdown right during BW2, but I didn't really start playing seriously until XY. I've never been a SPL-level player, but I'm not clueless either. ORAS was when I really became a competent player and improved my teambuilding skills. I've been playing DPP for a while now and I'm decent enough at playing it to get wins in stour, but I'm not confident with building in the tier at all, and I still want to improve my battling skills to a level where I can potentially get drafted in either SPL or the upcoming roapl.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Both are fine
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Mhm

Also I was like never given an active tutor in 2016 so one would be nice :X

Game Moderator

Banned deucer.
Username: Game Moderator
PS! Username: Robyn Grayson
What format do you want to learn?: BW OU
Your timezone: UTC + 8 (Asian timezone)
Usual Hours of Availability: 2 PM - 5 PM and 10 PM - 2 AM, everyday.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Knows the basics, have White, Diamond, Platinum, HG/SS knowledge, would like to improve cause I can't do so myself. I duel daily with my friends but they always beat me regardless what pokemon is being played. Would like to improve.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Either.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes.

Assigned to Mael

Username
: Oltan
PS! Username: Oltan
What format do you want to learn?: BW OU and DPP OU
Your timezone: GMT +3
Usual Hours of Availability: 5PM - 11PM, can probably stretch that to 2AM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I mostly play DPP OU, was always late for smogtours signups. Want to go through the basics of BW OU and advanced teambuilding in both. Have played BW OU and other gens OU (excluding GSC) casually and competitively for the past 4-5 years.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes, either.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes.

Assigned to osgoode

Username
:Imperator Caesar
PS! Username: Imperator Caesar
What format do you want to learn?: BW OU and DPP OU
Your timezone: (GMT +1)Fr
Usual Hours of Availability: weekdays 6 PM - 10 PM, weekends 10am-10pm
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences):I've been on smogon since 2016, when I started to have an interest for Pokémon in a competitive way. So I'm kind of a new player. I play ORAS OU and SM OU, those are the tiers that I'm cool with, but now I would like to learn BW OU and DPP ou, to join the SmogTours. I'm really really motivated and I do learn quick ! Hopefully one of u guys will take me as a student ! Thanks a lot
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes (not skype)

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
assigned to osgoode

Username
: Nineage
PS! Username: Nineage
Your timezone: GMT -8 (PST)
Usual Hours of Availability: From 2:30 - 5 PM and after 7 most weekdays, most of the day weekends
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been an LC player since early XY, and dabbled in higher tiers (though never at a high level). I got into the idea of dpp last year a little bit when I wanted to explore old gens because it seemed offense oriented and fun. I was pretty bad, but I'd like to learn because past gens OU seems fun.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Both work fine
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yep

Username: Baxstenias
PS! Username: Baxstenias
Your timezone: GMT - 8 (PST)
Usual Hours of Availability: Usually after 2:00 pm PST on weekdays except Fridays, and very flexible on Saturdays
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I picked up competitive mons in late 2013 and would play on PO a lot until the start of ORAS, which was when I switched to PS. From there on until about a year later, I never actually improved at mons until I came across aim and blunder. I learned a ton from them and actually improved very quickly, some examples being getting to round 6 of OST 12, winning on ladder much more easily, and building my own ORAS OU teams that actually won a lot more consistently than before. I took a look at older gens (BW and DPP) in spring of 2016 after looking at stours and wanting to be able to play those tiers. I ended up practicing and trying to learn both gens on my own, which did help somewhat, but I'd like to be able to get a lot better at DPP since it's the tier that I've had the most fun with.

Assigned to Foggi

Username: Mazz
PS! Username: Mazz
Your timezone: GMT -7
Usual Hours of Availability: 11am - 1am my time. Weekends are usually 2pm until 2am.
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Been playing for nearly a decade, and I've played most formats introduced since DPP OU. Made a name for myself in UU during kokoloko's reign. Not much of a ladder champion, but I made it pretty far in last year's UU and NU opens. Been looking at getting into ADV ever since hogg introduced ADV UU to me.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yep.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Sure.

assigned to CZ

Username: Lord Ninjax
PS! Username: Lord Ninjax
What format: DPP OU / ADV OU (either or)
Timezone: GMT +5:30
Usual hours of availability: Whatever works
A little about myself: Newly 18, and I want someone to help me refamiliarise myself with ADV / DPP (which I haven't played for a while in my fascination with SM)
Discord / Skype: Both
Yes, I understand how the Blacklist works

assigned to CZ

Username: SunnyORAS(CZ.'s agreed to tutor me)
PS! Username: SunnyORAS
What format: DPP OU
Timezone: EST
Usual hours of availability: Whatever works
A little about myself: Want someone to help me learn DPP, and CZ's graciously obliged :3. I mainly an ADV player at the moment and wanna learn some new stuff :D
Discord / Skype: Both
Yes, I understand how the Blacklist works

assigned to Genesis7

Username: bannedfrom7
PS! Username: bannedfrom7
What format do you want to learn?: ORAS OU
Your timezone: EST
Usual Hours of Availability: less likely to be on Mondays, Saturdays, and Sundays; the other weekdays 3-6 PM
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I played a fan game which then led me up to playing competitively. I then played showdown for a year now getting better. I always know I can improve on my skills.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: I can use discord but not voice chat.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: yes, I do *gulp*

assigned to Luigi

Username
: ThePokeMaestro
PS! Username:ThePokeMaestro
What format do you want to learn?: ORAS OU
Your timezone:UTC+02:00
Usual Hours of Availability: 1 pm - 3 pm and again most of the night but im online most of the weekend
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Well i made ladder on 2 accounts but i still dont know how to build teams im using teams that were built for me
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord but not voice channels
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Uhhmm kinda yeah

Username: TopLel TopKek
PO/PS! Username: TopLel TopKek
Your timezone: GMT -5
Usual Hours of Availability:
At night during week days, the most of time during weekends.
What format do you want to learn?: BW OU
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): During the last couple years I've tried to improve my skills and mastering all tiers, and I managed to stand out in some tournaments. It's been a while since I started in competitive Pokémon, I've been playing since 2006. I joined Smogon in 2007 and enjoyed of some recognition a couple years, but some things happened here and there and I was enforced to delete my account in 2011, I had to retire for a while. Two years later I decided to come back into the competitive Pokémon, so I started again in 2013 with a new nickname. The main consequence of my two-year retirement is that I never played any BW format (except for LC), so actually I suck at BW.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes. But I'd rather to use Discord.
Do you understand how the blacklist works?:
Ofc

Conni

katharsis

Username:
Conni
PO/PS! Username: Conni
Your Timezone: GMT + 2 (CEST)
Usual Hours of Availability: 4am to 4pm on weekends, 10am to 4pm on weekdays
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I main LC with I consider I'm an intermediate about metagame knowledge and battling but I'm still not as experienced either, I also play other tiers although I'm not that good at them, which are SM OU, ORAS OU, and ADV OU which I occasionally play if I'm feeling bored of LC battling, I would say I'm a beginner at the three tiers I mentioned because I didn't have a lot of practicing I did with LC. I want to learn ADV OU because its a very cool metagame and its much different from the current metagame and I think learning a balanced of current and old gens is pretty fun and I tried all of them and personally think ADV OU is pretty fun, I also have beginner knowledge on threats and popular Pokemon and playstyles, but I want to get better at battling like analyzing all the playstyles and improve my teambuilding.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Skype doesn't work for me so only Discord

assigned to Eden's Embrace

Username
: Le teamribou
PS! Username: Jeffv
Your timezone: GMT-8
Usual Hours of Availability: During the week, from 7 PM to 8 Pm, during the Week-end, from 8 AM to
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I began to play mon competitively around the time the pokebank was released during SM, have mainly played SM OU and SM Uber yet, and I would like to learn ADV OU, as I think it is a totally different metagame with different mechanics that might be fun to learn after the metagames trends have settled themselves.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
assigned to Luigi

Username
: CKW
PS! Username: CaptKnightwalker
Your timezone: GMT+3
Usual Hours of Availability: Mornings and late afternoon
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Been playing competitively for more than an year now. DPP OU feels like a fun tier but I haven't been able to get a hang of it yet and I think a someone helping me here would be great
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?:
discord plz!
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: indeed

assigned to Mael

Username
: Zarles
PS! Username: Zarles
Your timezone: GMT +1
Usual Hours of Availability: 4-9 PM everyday
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I play mainly current gen OU and I am mainly a builder, I do enjoy older gens like DPP and GSC but im not that good at them and would like to improve as im getting a bit bored of newer gen OU

Drud

is a Tutor Alumnus
PUPL Champion
assigned to CZ

Username
: Drud
PS! Username: Wild Drud
Usual Hours of Availability: normally free after 4/5 PM every day
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I play mainly LC and DPP OU but have little adv experience, seems like a very fun tier but im not quite good at it

requesting CZ

assigned to Jimmy Turtwig

Username: amber lamps
PS! Username: amberrlamps
Usual Hours of Availability: usually free around my afternoon or in the evenings between 9-11 pm
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I play mainly lower tiers and adv ou, I have little experience of dpp but I never got a solid grasp in knowledge of the metagame and I'm looking forward to learn it.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes on both.

Skeptics

Banned deucer.
assigned to Jimmy Turtwig

Username: Skeptics
PS! Username: Skeptics
What format do you want to learn?: GSC OU
Your timezone: GMT -5
Usual Hours of Availability: I'm full timing smogon so whenever my tutor is available, I am available
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): My worst tier, I have a solid grasp of pokemon as a game though.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes on both.

Algeria

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii~
assigned to mael

Username:Algeria4Ever
PS! Username: Algeria4Ever
What format do you want to learn?: ADV OU,GSC OU
Your timezone: Gmt +1
Usual Hours of Availability: I'm always connected the weekend
Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing in competitively in 2015 and joined Smogon later,to be better and test my level in official tournaments.I have a "good" level in the new generations but I want to improve in the older ones like Gsc,Adv.
Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: only discord
Do you understand how the blacklist works?: yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)