1. The moderators of this forum are Plus, IronBullet, Jio, and Shiba.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Sign-Up Apprentice Program Signups: SUMO NU

Discussion in 'Battling 101' started by Plus, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Plus

Plus deadass
    is a Tutoris a Global Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Professor of B101

[​IMG]
    Welcome to Battling 101! If you're seeking a tutor for SUMO NU, you are in the right place. Please read all the rules carefully and fill out every part of the application.

THE RULES

• You must be able to access Skype, Discord, or whatever your tutor wants as the primary form of communication.
    • You must be willing to use Pokemon Showdown! even if you are being tutored in a cartridge format such as Battle Spot or VGC.
    • You, the tutee, are responsible for setting up times with your tutor. Don't expect them to come to you. Take the initiative and post on their VM wall first. Additionally, please be patient if your tutor doesn't respond in the first 2-3 days.
    • Use the Tutee Talk forum to complain about your tutor (or praise them if they're doing a good job). These are no longer mandatory, but if your tutor is ridiculously inactive or is a complete jackass, COMPLAIN HERE. Nobody can see your tutee talk posts except for you and the Battling 101 Staff; everything is confidential.
    • Don't request tutors unless they have agreed to tutor you.
    • You may request priority if you were skipped previously in 2016. Link your sign-up post from last year by going to the B101 Archive located in Thread Cryonics underneath Closed Forums.
    • If your timezone and hours of availability do not match up with the correct thread, your post will be deleted. Please PM a B101 mod if you are unsure about which thread to post in.
    • You may only post in ONE of the signup threads. Delete your post if you change your mind about signing up for something.

• NEW: You must have battled competitively for a decent amount in at least ONE of the Smogon tiers or Battle Spot / VGC to sign up. Playing 10 or so matches on the PS! ladder is not substantial enough, ~70 or so is more reasonable. This experience does not need to be for the format you sign-up for; this is just to weed out people who have never played competitively that can improve themselves simply by using resources already available to them without needing a tutor to hold their hand.
    List of supported formats (open)

Any iteration of Ubers/OU/UU/RU/NU/PU/DOU/LC from any of the past generations.
    Any iteration of Battle Spot / VGC formats.

Here is the signup template, and an example sign-up post.

The Blacklist (aka Battling 101 Detention)
    You will be banned from signing up in the future if:
    • You show poor activity over a course of a month (banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
    • You decide during the tutoring round that you do not wish to be tutored anymore, or you mistakenly sign up for a tier you thought was something else, and no longer wish to be tutored. This is most common when selecting Smogon Doubles / VGC, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING (banned for 6 months)
    • You show a lack of enthusiasm or you're consistently distracted by other things (banned for 3 months)
    • You fail to complete the tutor evaluation form that we will send out during the last week of the round (banned for 6 months, infracted for 1 point)
    • You are annoying to deal with. This will vary from tutor to tutor. Some tutors don't like it when you talk back, argue with them, whine about hax, whine about sucking at Pokemon, or any version of the 'woe is me' attitude. Tutors get pissed at different things, so if they complain to us that you are exhibiting poor behavior, expect to be on the blacklist. (banned for 3-6 months)
    Repeated offense of any of the situations above can potentially mean a year ban. If you have been on the blacklist for three different instances, you will be EXPELLED from Battling 101 (perma-ban from signing up).
    tankmonx and RedzoneX like this.
  2. tankmonx

tankmonx

assigned to quziel

Username: Tankmonx
    PO/PS! Username: Tankmonx, and starfoxfalco
    Your timezone: GMT -4
    Usual Hours of Availability: Mostly all day in August. 3pm -5pm EST in September and onwards.
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I’ve been playing competitively on showdown since the summer of 2014. Since joining I’ve laddered, ask for advised, and watched a lot of Pokeaimmd and Jamvad videos (so shoutouts to them) to help myself Improve. I’ve always found myself to be weak of team building. The RMT room and RMT forum sections have always been a help. I finally at the end of the ORAS OU metagame I was able to break 1600 which I’m super happy about.
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Both (Preferably Discord)
    Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2017
    Plus likes this.
  3. RedzoneX

RedzoneX

Assigned to Jarii

Username
    : RedzoneX
    PO/PS! Username: RedzoneX
    Your timezone: GMT -4 (EDT)
    Usual Hours of Availability: Evenings most days except Friday, various times during the morning and afternoon
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing on Showdown in early XY and began playing somewhat more seriously in later ORAS, around the time of the Goth ban. I've been a longtime contributor to the CT and RMT rooms on Showdown, and am currently a mod of both of them, mostly due to my playing OU. SM NU is an interesting and appealing tier to me, and I'd like to make myself more diverse as a player and as a rater.
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes, both

Jarii agreed to tutor me
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  4. MasterAmpharos

MasterAmpharos

Assigned to Rapture

Username: MasterAmpharos
    PO/PS! Username: MasterAmpharos, and foot on the gas, and unfortunate event.
    Your timezone: GMT -7
    Usual Hours of Availability: anytime 5:00 PM PST -till around midnight on weekdays but on weekends it's about 10:30 AM till 10:00 PM.
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been playing since early XY, and I've gathered a couple hundred games in ORAS UU and SM UU each and around 50-70 games in SM OU, and 90 or so in ORAS OU and I've gotten to 1500 ELO in each. I am semi regularly writing analyses for SM UU too. I also know the basic fundamentals like how to double, and an understanding of what makes an effective team, but I would like to get to know the NU tier as it appears to be very fun.
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Both
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2017
  5. IronBullet

IronBullet Astronomy Domine
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

One spot available for Australian timezones
    Stevan's Sceptile likes this.
  6. TheFosterKidd

TheFosterKidd

Assigned to Rapture

Username
    : TheFosterKidd
    PO/PS! Username: TheFosterKidd
    Your timezone: CST -7
    Usual Hours of Availability: In CST: 11:00p.m. to 2:00a.m. mostly any day of the week.
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I played Pokemon as a child for fun and started playing competitively about 2 or 3 months ago. I've learned a lot, but I do need to have a more refined way of teambuilding. I am good at the mindgame of a battle, but I often choke. I like to watch Pokeaim and other PS! youtubers and learn from the way they play, which is how I have progressed so quickly.
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2017
  7. Drud

Drud

Assigned to Earth

Username
    : Drud
    PO/PS! Username: Wild Drud
    Your timezone: GMT +2
    Usual Hours of Availability: on weekdays 4 pm to 10pm, weekend pretty much always
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I play pokemon since shoddy battle while i started taking it serious around 2015, I am an LC and DPP OU main but have little accomplishments, I want to try and learn NU because it seems like a really fun tier with a lot of nice people
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord is preferable, but can use skype if needed
    Do you understand how the blacklist works?: I do
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2017
  8. Assassin Rogue

Assassin Rogue

Assigned to Eternally

Requesting for eternally
    Username: Assassin Rogue
    PO/PS! Username: AssassinRogue
    Your timezone: GMT +5:30
    Usual Hours of Availability: 2 pm to 11 pm, all day during weekends.
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I have been into competitive mons from 2013 been playing seriously from 2014. I always aim on improving my game and getting better each day. Learning the current NU metagame from an experienced player would help me hone my team building and decision making skills.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2017
    neomon and Eternally like this.
  9. horyzhnz

horyzhnz [10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Assigned to Shadestep

Username
    : horyzhnz
    PO/PS! Username: horyzhnz
    Your timezone: GMT+10 (AU timezone)
    Usual Hours of Availability: everyday from 5pm til 11, all day sunday tuesday
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): i played some xy nu teamtours back a few years ago but since then i've only been watching battling videos because uni / work experience things took up a load of time, but now i have a bit more time to spare. played around with some oras / xy ou earlier too but never really got into it to stick around, although i should be able to pick things up pretty quick (i hope)
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: both are fine, but discord > skype
    Do you understand how the blacklist works?: sure
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2017
  10. -Voltage-

-Voltage-

Assigned to Jarii

Username
    : -Voltage-
    PO/PS! Username: Vo1tage
    Your timezone: GMT -5 (US Central)
    Usual Hours of Availability: Starting next week, I'll be sitting in my apartment before college without much to do so anytime between noon and midnight (save the hours around 5pm - 7pm) All days.
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been playing off and on since Gen 4 (so almost 7 years, holy shit). I've never been able to really commit to a tier because I enjoy learning how to at least play a bunch of different tiers. I played a lot of BW2 OU and kind of played XY OU and ORAS OU, though I haven't ever really been able to learn NU since I was never able to have access to solid teaching resources. As I said before, I really enjoy learning as a whole and have some time to spare. My lack of accomplishments doesn't reflect my ability to learn as I play more as a hobby.
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2017
  11. Romanticist

Romanticist

Assigned to Rapture

Username
    : romanticist
    PO/PS! Username: romanticist
    Your timezone: -4
    Usual Hours of Availability: afternoons
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing mons about 1.5 years ago and just played mono and started playing on and off uu since januauary and decided to commit to nu around the time of the open sign ups. im pretty new to the tournament scene only making it to r3 in the opens :( but i have peaked the mono ladder a few times and done decently well on the uu ladder which isnt much but i at least have some experience on ladder. Im hoping to really commit to nu because it seems like a great tier once some of the stupid stuff like veil :( gets banned.
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: discord
    Do you understand how the blacklist works?: yes
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2017
  12. Laboltuque

Laboltuque

Username: Laboltuque
    PO/PS! Username: Laboltuque, Herroh
    Your timezone: EST -5
    Usual Hours of Availability: Most days starting at 6pm ish. It varies due to work, but I know my schedule 3 weeks in advance.
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I used to play pretty seriously during the HGSS days, and I have attended VGC events in the past. Since then I've mostly played on and off, but I started getting back into competitive battling a couple weeks ago. My biggest weakness has always been teambuilding, so this is what I'm looking to improve. So far I mostly play OU, but I've always wanted to get into the NU tier, as it looks like a lot of fun.
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Both
  13. Samu the noob

Samu the noob

assigned to Kiyo

Username:
    Samu The Noob
    PS! Username: Samu Nuv
    Timezone: GMT -4
    Usual Hours Of Availability: 13:00 to 16:00 all days and the nigth 22:00.
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started play competitive pokemon ORAS OU , In SM i playning OU,Ubers,LC and NU.
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: I have Discord .
    Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yes.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2017
  14. Yoshizilla315

Yoshizilla315

assigned to Lax

Username
    : Yoshizilla315
    PO/PS! Username: Yoshizilla315
    Your timezone: GMT -5 (EST)
    Usual Hours of Availability: Monday-Friday from 3:30pm to about 5pm, then after 6pm until 9pm. Saturday and Sunday is really a gamble, but I'll generally be available throughout the day.
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been playing Pokemon for about 2 years now, but recently, I realize I'm actually not really that good. So, I've finally decided to give into this program, which is something I've told myself not to. I'm excited to improve, as I think it can really backup my big mouth lol. As far as tiers go, I have played OU, UU, and NU for quite a little bit.
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Discord (and IRC if you're one of those)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2017
    Plus likes this.
  15. Milak

Milak ain't you ever seen a princess be a bad bitch?
    is a Smogon Media Contributor

assigned to Z+V

Username
    : Milak
    PO/PS! Username: Milak
    Your timezone: GMT +2
    Usual Hours of Availability: Monday-Sunday afternoons, i'm not always available during evenings.
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've never really played Pokémon seriously, I've only played ladder games occasionally. I've recently started playing NU and i really enjoyed the tier so i'd like to improve, especially with teambuilding, and get to know more about it
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2017
  16. Where'dTheseDucksComeFrom

Where'dTheseDucksComeFrom

assigned to Z+V

Username
    : Where'dAllTheseDucksComeFrom
    PO/PS! Username: verdit
    Your timezone: Gmt +01:00
    Usual Hours of Availability: 4-10 pm On most days
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing pokemon competitively around may 2014(?). I mostly used to play UU and monotype(though i was never really good at either of the tiers), but i took a big break around the release of S&M and now im trying to get back in to competitive pokemon. I'd mostly like to improve in teambuilding and a bit in actual battles.
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?:Have both, but discord is preferred if possible
    Do you understand how the blacklist works?:Ya
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2017
  17. Cretaceous

Cretaceous

Username: Cretaceous
    PO/PS! Username: Cretaceous00
    Your timezone: GMT -5
    Usual Hours of Availability: Usually, I am available after 4:00pm Monday-Friday, and Saturday and Sunday really depend on my schedule of that week.
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've played Pokemon for a little bit now, playing a variety of tiers on different alts. I believe that I have not reached my full potential, so this program will most definitely help me. NU is one of the tiers I have less experience with, so I'd like to improve my skills in the tier.
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Yes
  18. Brandon~

Brandon~ Io sono tua
    is a Pre-Contributor

Username: Brandon~
    PS! Username: Brandon
    Your timezone: EST (-5)
    Usual Hours of Availability: Pretty free on weekends, free time generally varies depending on the day, but usually evenings, and Thursday/Friday is generally free for me.
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I've been more of a gimmicks user when it comes to laddering, using things that I found to be fun versus actually being competitive on the ladder. I was decent at gen 5 NU, and after losing interest in gen 6, I picked up interest again this generation. I'm also not the best at teambuilding, so getting help with that would also be nice.
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: I have both, but prefer to use discord.
    Do you understand how the blacklist works?: Yep.

Earth has also agreed to tutor me.
    1Surgeon, neomon, Lionyx and 4 others like this.
  19. OhYayItsTrey

OhYayItsTrey

Username: ohyayitstrey
    PS! Username: treyski
    Your timezone: GMT -6 CST
    Usual Hours of Availability: Monday &Wednesday evenings after 7, Saturdays 3-whenever, Sundays are flexible.
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing Pokemon again right before SM came out and watched a lot of Cybertron VGC '17 Road to Ranked. I played some VGC but became more interested in singles. I've played mostly random battles and gotten to about ELO 1400 doing that. I want to get serious about learning how to build a team and I'm more interested in the lower tiers.
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Either
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  20. Twix

Twix is this a dog or a bear
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Username: twix
    PS! Username: twix
    Your timezone: GMT -5 EST
    Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays after 3ish, Weekends pretty open
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): Been playing competitive(ish) mons for about 2 years total and came back from a year break like a month ago. Esteemed PU Driver, Contributor, and tutor that wants to learn NU because it looks cool
  21. aGroove

aGroove

assigned to Stan Soojung

Username
    : agroove
    PO/PS! Username: agroove
    Your timezone: (EST + 1)
    Usual Hours of Availability: Tuesdays and Thursdays are best for me, I'm available pretty much anytime after 11am then - MWF im available after about 8pm. Weekends are usually pretty free but it's hit or miss depending on the day.
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started playing competitive around 2015, began completely new to the game with OU, playing with the mons I enjoyed using. I hopped into monotype not long after, but I really didnt start improving until early 2016. Around mid 2016 I branched out into more of the lower tiers like ORAS NU and ORAS PU, but recently I've had more success with SuMo NU. I've had experience on ladder, but i've had difficulty building successfully, so I'm looking to improve on that aspect.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2017 at 11:40 PM
    Plus and Romanticist like this.
  22. Suptic

Suptic

Username: Suptic
    PO/PS! Username: Suptic
    Your timezone: UTC +10:00
    Usual Hours of Availability: Weekdays: after 4-ish, Weekends: Open most of time from 11am onwards
    Tell us a little about your experience in competitive Pokemon (min. 3 sentences): I started to get into competitive Pokémon towards the end of ORAS and ever since then I’ve been playing on and off. I started seriously taking an interest into competitive after the Duggy Ban. I've mostly played and teambuilded in OU but the tier is starting to feel a little stale so I decided to dip my feet into lower tiers... not to much success. I had the most fun playing NU despite having more success in Ubers. I'd like to improve on my overall skill in the tier~!
    Are you able to use either Discord or Skype?: Either one is fine

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)