1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Aquatic Judgment

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by nyttyn, Jan 8, 2013.

1. nyttyn

nyttyn Ribbit!
    is a Pre-Contributor

[​IMG]
    ugh, such an embarasing photo...
    Aquatic Judgment

Greetings, peasants! I am princess Calvier Yuri Artwaltz! Father here tried to restrict me to the castle, keep me a good little princess. Well, one day I decided to go out on a adventure! I gathered my most trusted servants, and we set out to conquer the world! Unfortunately, it seems our formation suffers for some issues, and I was told that this is the place to turn to.

I suppose you can say we are, in your tongue, a "Balanced Rain Team." A team based around Drizzle, setting hazards and dealing damage, and then sweeping - with me, Calvier, taking the charge!~

Well, without further ado, let me tell you the story of my people!

[​IMG]
    Melly (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Protect
    - Perish Song
    - Toxic

Ah, Melly. We found her lying in the storm drain one day, a whole mess of rain falling onto her. We eventually figured out that the rain went with her, so we use her whenever we need it to Rain. She's kind of stupid, though, I think it's because of all the punches in the face she ends up taking. But she's gotten really good at taking punches in the face as a result! So we use her to do that, as well as spread burns and...that strange sludge that she horks up to poison our foes. She can also sing a wonderful song - it's a pity that she and anyone who hears it falls unconscious so soon. It's just the trick for knocking out people who would otherwise set up in her face though! She's useful for more then just making it Rain, but keeping her alive as long as possible is more important thanks to the fact that she brings the blessed rain with her.

[​IMG]
    Steve (Gothitelle) (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Signal Beam
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Psyshock
    - Thunderbolt

Steve says he's my dad's "dealer," and that he'd help me "bust a cap in someone's ass" if I needed it. Well I don't know much about that, but he's unusually good at keeping a man trapped - I don't think I've ever seen someone escape from him. It's really handy, because there are just some people I can't seem to beat - especially those dreadful Ferrothorns and Lilligants and bulky Water types and UGH. I gave him a scarf, because those are the height of fashion nowadays, and it really helps him move faster he says! Fast enough to out run any of his foes - it's a shame that he's not the strongest man around. Anyways, his Signal Beam tends to handle grass types really well, which makes me really happy! He has some sort of 'Hidden Power' he claims, I don't know what he means but whenever he snaps his fingers thing start to light on fire! He says it's real handy for getting past things he otherwise couldn't. He's got a sharp mind to, it's like he Psyshocks guys into falling asleep! He says they're asleep, anyways, which is good because we don't kill! Finally, he's got his tazer which I swear is as powerful as a thousand Thunderbolts, which totally takes care of bulky Waters. And ugh do I hate bulky waters.

[​IMG]
    Mask DeMasque (Roserade) (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Spikes
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Rest

Oh, Mask is just such a charming man! He tried to steal my father's scepter, you see, and then we caught him, and then father hired him to be my bodyguard. He's really good at taking special hits and throwing his Spikey caltrops onto the ground, which really hurt people's feet. He can also Giga Drain water types, did I tell you how much I hate water types? Because I really hate water types. He can also snap his finger and burn things, says it's the same Hidden Power that Steve has. Finally, he can take a Rest if things get too much, and it's the strangest thing, when we tag him out he instantly wakes up, but he's still all rested! How does that work, huh? Not to mention the fact that he can take Burns and Paralysis like they're no big deal. Very handy.

[​IMG]
    Alfred (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge

Ah, Alfred. I couldn't wish for a better butler. He kind of scares me though - and other fighters. We tend to use him as our other go to man when the scary fighters come out. I think he's a wizard, he's somehow able to summon up these magical Stealth Rocks that really hurt our enemies when they charge in and that's really cool. He can also cause Earthquakes, and they really hurt I bet! If things get really bad he can make a U-Turn out and swap people in, and with as slow as he is it's really handy when he tags me in for a perfect sweep. Finally he can, in THEORY, throw stones at our foes, but he's so inaccurate at it we just call it Stone Miss. Ultimately though his job is to set up his magical Stealth Rocks and tank attacks - a job he does very well.

[​IMG]
    Alexander (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified
    Timid Nature
    - Surf
    - Secret Sword
    - Icy Wind
    - Hidden Power [Psychic]

Ah, prince Alexander. So dreamy! I found him captured by a nasty wizard one day and set him free and he's been my prince ever since! He tries to get away sometimes but I won't let him~ He tends to be our "Revenge Killer," as you people call it - swooping in to save the day! He can also pull off a "Sweep" in a pinch, but that's my job! His Surfing skils are absoutely killer, able to knock many people over with ease! Hang-ten dude! Oh, he's really handy with his rapier, with his Secret Sword techniques that tend to get around people who can withstand his surfing! With a swing of his cape, he can summon a Icy Wind that really hurts - I'd say it slays dragons like nothing else! Finally he can also snap his fingers with this "Hidden Power", only instead of things burning they start frothing and the mouth and falling over! What's the deal with that? Really though he's without parallel - I have to say he might just be the best at what he does. Oh and he outspeeds all those other "Revenge Killers" which is a huge plus.

[​IMG]
    Calvier (Empoleon) (F) @ Petaya Berry
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 12 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Substitute
    - Agility
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam

And finally, we have ME, your beloved princess! With extra-large photo for emphasis~ I'm the star of the show, chowing down on a Petaya Berry and then going to town! Sure, I only eat it when I'm on the brink of falling unconscious, but it's so fattening! Can you really blame me for only eating it in a pinch? Anyways, dad taught me how to hide behind a Substitute to take less damage, and when I get three of them out I tend to be so tired I eat my berry. Don't think I'm slow though, with ancient Agility techniques trained to us by an ancient ninja clan, I'm one of the fastest girls around! Alexander taught me how to totally hang ten, my Surfing being oh so powerful~ I can also use my dad's scepter to make a Ice Beam to freeze things, don't tell him I took it!

Threat List

[​IMG] Breloom:

• Without Gothielle I'd be pretty much doomed, as this man is just so fast and powerful! Ugh Mach Punch is such a pain...good thing he has like no bulk! And if I have a sub up then~~~ he just falls against me!
    [​IMG] Conkeldurr:

• Thankfully, Gothielle can trap him, which is really good because otherwise he just completely ruins my sweep with Mach Punch
    [​IMG] Keldeo:

• Opposing Keldeos are an absolute nightmare to deal with - my only option is Roserade.
    [​IMG] Kyurem-B:

• Eheheh...I'm not really sure how to deal with him outside of revenging him with Keldeo.
    [​IMG] Magnezone:

• If I have Agility up or if I'm behind a sub Magnezone is no issue, but if I'm just sitting there all by my lonesome then I pretty much die, which ruins any hope my team has at a sweep. And that's bad! Thankfully Gothielle can handle him when the rain's down and Keldeo can always kill him but...seesh!
    [​IMG] Salamence:
    • If salamence gets to +2 it's really over for my team, but otherwise I can come in if he's outrage locked and kill him with Ice Beam, even though it really hurts. And Keldeo can kill him at +1 while outspeeding with his hidden power, so there's that.
    [​IMG] Starmie:

• Ugh, this guy can be a real pain, able to tank everything I throw at him as well as kill a lot of the rest of the team. Thankfully, Gothielle can handle him, and I can muscle past him if I have a sub up but UGH.
    [​IMG] Tyranitar:

• Tyranitar is kind of hard to deal with. Gothielle can't trap him because crunch, he ruins the rain that Politoed brings to the table, he can tank my Surfs...really, the only way for me to usually deal with him is Keldeo.
    [​IMG]

• Ugh man I hate Blissey, I can barely scratch the fat blob! Thankfully Gothielle ruins her day with psyshock and Keldeo can totally end her with a secret sword! But man she's such a..a...a, excuse my tongue, fat bitch!
    [​IMG] Gastrodon:

• Aaaaah I hate this guy. I mean Roserade safely OHKOs him but I can't get him dead with Gothielle so if he swaps out it just starts all over again and grrrrr. He just totally stops any hope I have at sweeping! Hate him.
    [​IMG] Gyarados:
    Oh man this guy's a jerk. Only Gothielle can deal with him and even then it's kind of tricky since he can't take a hit. Thankfully he can safely fry it once he DOES get a chance but jeez.

[​IMG] Jellicent:

• Oh man this guy is such a pain in the butt he totally stops my sweep you have no idea oh god. Thankfully Gothielle can totally trap and kill him which is SO RELIEVING. He can't handle the ones with the glasses as well but they don't really exist.
    [​IMG] Rotom-W:

• Oh man, I HATE this guy! He's SOOO hard to kill, and such a pain in the ass! Well, Roserade can usually take care of him, but if he's down there's really no easy way to take this bastard down. Thankfully he can't withstand a whole lot of punishment thanks to having no recovery but....man he sucks to fight.

Oh, and here's a Importable - just don't go around stealing all my secrets, you hear?

Show Hide
    Melly (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Protect
    - Perish Song
    - Toxic

Steve (Gothitelle) (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Shadow Tag
    Timid Nature
    - Signal Beam
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Psyshock
    - Thunderbolt

Mask DeMasque (Roserade) (M) @ Black Sludge
    EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Spikes
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Rest

Alfred (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge

Alexander (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified
    Timid Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Surf
    - Secret Sword
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Calvier (Empoleon) (F) @ Petaya Berry
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 12 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Substitute
    - Agility
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    hiten likes this.
  2. Dwayne

Dwayne

Hi, Interesting team.

Dont have time for a proper rate atm so im doing this real quick. Standard rain gives you huge problems especially tornadus-t as nothing on your team wants to switch in on a specs hurricane. So now that one big threat is identified im wondering if you really need roserade on your team as even though spikes is a good thing to have you can let roserade go in favour of specially defensive rotom-W. What this achieves is a better check to tornadus-t, to keldeo and to rain in general. Sure it gives you problems against Loom but you have gothitelle to check that anyways.

[​IMG]
    Rotom-W (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 248 HP / 228 SDef / 28 SAtk / 4 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Volt-Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split

Onto a smaller change switch t-bolt to thunder on gothitelle if your gonna use rain and HP [Fire] in rain isnt the best choice so try Trick over it to cripple stall and things like ferro and blissey so your Emploeon can set up more easily on it. Drop Perish Song on Politoed in favor of Ice Beam. Perish Song is becoming more and more out-dated as it is. Last Pokemon Reuniclus isn't really an issue for your team, and if something like Toxicroak set up once, it can set up again. Ice Beam will give you options against stuff like Dragonite, Latios, Salamence, and other Pokemon that think they can set up for free. If you're up for it try encore over Protect as its a decent move which works against leads like ferrothorn who think they can freely set up hazards on toed's face but instead get locked in SR giving you a free switch in.

Hope i helped!
  3. Neliel

Neliel Sacred Sword

Yo, nice use of empoleon :3

Your team has some problem with a lot of common things used nowadays. First, i see any dragon sweeping through this team once landorus-t in enough weakened, because empoleon doesnt really like tanking outrages, and if it does so it will not be able to sweep later. Your team also has problems with ground types like rock polish landorus or mamoswine, which can spam earthquake into everything and Landorus-t, which is your only ground resistor doesnt like Hidden power ice and icicle spear. In addiction, running fire moves under rain is never a good idea. The only thing that commonly uses a fire move under rain is volcarona i guess, but it has a specific purpose and its a way stronger anyway, here you are using a weak move like hidden power fire on two of your pokemons, and i can rest assured that they wont do nothing even if supereffective. I also see Agility thundurus sweeping trough this team easily, your eletric resistor cant do much to stop it and its 2koed by hp ice, scarf magnezone can as well be a problem stopping the star of your team and threatening everything with flash cannon and thunder. You also have problems with some of the things you already mentioned, like Blissey, Gyarados, Tyranitar. Tornadus-t is also a bitch for your team, you have one flying resistor which cant really switch in anyway on it, and it goes without saying that a well played tornadus can do a kill every time it switchs in.

The first thing i would do to help your team a bit is to change roserade for ferrothorn. Ferrothorn helps a lot your team dealing with every dragon in the tier, it can switch in easier to tyranitar, Starmie, it can beat blissey and its a good counter for gyarados. it also helps a bit dealing with mamoswine if it lacks of superpower, and it has a lot of usefull resistances that your team needs. A set of Spikes / Power whip / Gyro ball / rest with a chesto berry can help you immensly. It does basically the same role of roserade, but just better, setup spikes, withngyro ball it hurts dragons, mamoswine and landorus, power whip for bulky waters like rotom-w and rest in combination with a chesto berry to get ride of statuses, for example wow rotom or burn of scald. What you now lose is a fight type resistance and a check for breloom and keldeo (even though roserade was a shacky check because it couldnt touch breloom and it would have lost to calm mind keldeo), but it can be easily fixed in other ways. You also lose something to beat jellicent, but the other fixes lets you beat it.

Now i think your weak link here is gothitelle. Gothitelle needs to go because while its true it can trapkill things, you are actually going to trap things weak to psichic and to eletric, and other than fighting types (and most of the fighting types can laugh at you, like terrakion and keldeo) and some water type it wont do much, its slow and it doesnt help winning the weather war against sand teams, and it doesnt have a specific role beating some counter for empoleon. A nice fix here would be Orb latias instead of gothi. With orb latias you now have a good check to breloom and keldeo, as well as a nice switch in into Sheer force landorus, being able to survive an hit and strike back a ko. Latias helps you revenge killing other stuff like Sd garchomp and terrakion, which is always wellcome. you also get an another check for eletric types that seems problematic, it is able to survive an hidden power ice from thundurus and it helps a bit against magnezone, since it can now trapkill your ferrothorn. It can also do a chunk to rotom-w in case your ferrothorn has gone. In general you will have more offensive presence, coverage, durability and speed to threaten your opponent. A set of Surf / Draco meteor / Psyshock / Recover is what you probably should run. Draco meteor is your main stab, surf lets you hit steel types like Heatran and skarmory as well as tyranitar, psyshock lets you beat terrakion under sand and calm mind keldeo. Recover is for obvious reason. It must be said that psyshock lets you 2ko special defensive Jellicent, and if its a defensive one then it wont like taking a draco meteor.

Now since i ahvent solve yet some issues like Tornadus-t and Mamoswine, i think your best choice here is to scarf politoed. I know its not the best thing in the world to check them, but its the only thing i can do without doing further changes or putting a Bronzong somewhere. Now, speaking of politoed a set with Hydro pump / Ice beam / Focus blast / Toxic should work. In this way you will have less thing that takes an earthquake or a Hurricane in the face, while threatening a ko with Hydro pump to mamoswine and tornadus-t. Then looking at your team i see ferrothorn being a little difficult to deal with, so thats why you have focus blast on Politoed, at least you can take a 2ko. Ice beam is a standard move to hit dragon and grass types, even though its not really necessary here it lets you beat Sd chomp and dd nite. Toxic here is a filler move, and its used mainly to hit bulky water like jellicent and Gastrodon, so that you can stall them easier and have an easier time sweeping with Empoleon. Your opponent, once he understood you have scarf politoed will just mindless switch in gastrodon and jellicent, and there you can do toxic to cripple them.

Now speaking of your scarf Keldeo, hidden power psichic has really no purpose, fighting types are hitten harder with surf so you really need to change it. Try hidden power eletric to revenge kill gyarados and hit phisical defensive jellicent for decent damage, at least it has some use.
    Hope i helped you, gl!

Show Hide

[​IMG]--> [​IMG]Ferrothorn (F) @ Chesto Berry
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Spikes
    - Gyro Ball
    - Power Whip
    - Rest

[​IMG]-->[​IMG]Latias (F) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Recover

[​IMG]--> Melly (Politoed) (F) @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Focus Blast
    - Toxic

[​IMG]Hidden power psychic --> eletric
  4. peng

peng

hidden power psychic means he doesnt auto-lose to toxicroak, who is becoming increasingly popular.

anyway i briefly rated this on #ratemyteam, i'll edit this post with something a bit more in-depth later!
  5. Neliel

Neliel Sacred Sword

!
    thanks, forgot about toxicroak. the problem is that he didnt write anything about it so i assumed it had no purpose ^^
  6. nyttyn

nyttyn Ribbit!
    is a Pre-Contributor

Apologies, commoners. It would've been in my interest to specify why we have Keldeo continue his finger snapping parlor tricks. I shall attempt both Sir Ninel and Sir Dwayne's changes, although I will have to say that Gothielle cannot learn thunder. He is, unfortunately, weak. I shall re-evalulate our formation from there, and inform you fine gentlemen afterwards how the changes worked out. Thank you for taking the time to assist us.
  7. Livio

Livio
    is a Tiering Contributor

Hi dude! Real cool team, Empoleon is an amazing underrated pokemon, and under rain is very interesting sweeper. Let s Rate it.

First off, i can see much more problems against the most common special sweepers, for example Thundurus-T, Thunder Latwins, SheerForce Landorus and LOTornadus, that's because your two pokemons that you use as Thunder resistors are incredibly weak to most common coverage of them and you give more setupp fodder from the moment you use Hidden Power Fire under rain. So my first suggestion is to use LOLatias in place of Gothitelle, With an ev spread of 72HP/184Satk/252spd Timid Nature and a movepool of Psyshock/Surf/Draco Meteor/Recover, this is an incredible pokemon with who you can check many of these threat such as Thundurus-T, LOLandorus and sometimes is great against Hpump of Keldeo and so on, it allows you to release the pressure on Roserade of opponents Physic Fight attacks, and it is useful because your strategy is based on the Entry Hazards.

Now you have solved many of yours troubles, but as i told you the most common special sweeper of the game, LOTornadus-T has no counter/checker and may easily get you 6-0 more or less.. so my other suggestion is to replace Jirachi>Landorus-T, it amazing work with Latias, perfect sinergy and help you against aforementioned Tornadus-T and Lati Twins, in the same time you dont lose your Bulkyness, you have already Latias/Roserade against Fight pokemons and you can manage without problems even thing like Terrakion thanks Steel/Psychic. My idea was to use 252Hp/24Def/232SpD/ Sassy Nature, with a moveset of Wish/Stealth Rock/U-Turn/Iron Head-Hidden Power ice, with this you don t lose U-turn to scout opponent move, you can Heal your pokemons and shouldn t have problem against the remains threat, it allows youu to dont force switch into Flyng moves with Empoleon, and use it only to clean on LateGame.

Another thing, Hidden Power Fire under rain, make your Roselia a setupp fodder, so i d suggest you to replace it with Hidden Power Ice or Sludge Bomb, in this way you have Roserade to provide a slight offensive pressure while having a 30% chance to poison opponents, helping to bring walls down and hit harder an eventual Dragon setupper.
    Hope I Helped.

Tl;dr

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Psyshock
    - Surf
    - Draco Meteor
    - Recover

[​IMG]

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - U-turn
    - Iron Head
    - Wish
    - Stealth Rock

[​IMG]

Roserade (F) @ Black Sludge
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Rest
    - Spikes
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Giga Drain

8. Leftiez

Leftiez *Stars*

Hi there.
    It is a very interesting team, with a pokemon that I appreciate much (Empoleon), your team seems correct but you have weaknesses, as Tornadus-T you have nothing to tank his Hurricanes and even if you possess Empoleon, Tornadus-T has Focus Blast or Superpower, and then the opponent can switch if you put Keldeo and come after to continue, then I see that you are very disadvantaged against Latios/Latias/Reuniclus, Reuniclus is usually CM Bulky, it is 3HKO by Hurricane of Tornadus-T after a Calm mind and it is 3HKO by Hydropump of Keldeo after a Calm mind also (without Rain) then Reuniclus is 3HKO also by Signal Beam of Gothitelle Spec after a Calm mind, I suggest you Jirachi Specially Defensive on Gothitelle, Jirachi is a very good pokemon for your team it can come easily on Latios/Latias/Reuniclus/Tornadus-T and he has Wish to heal, then I suggest you swap Hidden Power Fire with Hidden power Ice on Roserade because you possess the Rain and thus the fire type attacks are reduced.

Jirachi (open)
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
    Careful Nature
    - Body Slam
    - U-turn
    - Iron Head
    - Wish

Tl;dr
    Show Hide
    Gothitelle--->Jirachi
    Roserade--->Hidden Power Ice

Hope I Helped and Good Luck with your Team.
  9. CedOmega

CedOmega

Hey Nttyn, you have a decent Rain team here.

• First, as with any Rain themed team, you have a large Tornadus-T weakness, as nothing on your team really likes taking its STAB Hurricane; which reaches 100% accuracy under your own set weather. I second Dwayne's suggestion of Rotom-W>Roserade to give you some defense against it. It also provides you with a scout for your team, which helps your team gain momentum and become near unpredictable.
      Show Hide
    • Next are just a couple of simple changes of Signal Beam>HP(Ice)/Trick & ChoiceSpecs>ChoiceScarf on Gothitelle to allow it to outpace faster Pokemon that can, without the use of a Scarf, outpace and revenge it. Trick+Choice item is classic for crippling foes and can be very appreciated on your team if played correctly. Not to mention, Gothitelle traps the foe with ShadowTag, so they really don't have any other choice but to be Trick the item in exchange for their own.
    • Lastly, I feel that I should address that your team has somewhat of a large weakness to entry hazards. Sorry to say, I can't really think of what you could replace on your team to help deal with this issue. Although, MagicGuard Deoxys-D could help deal with the problem, I would only suggest it over your current Gothitelle. In the end, it's your choice of whether to use Gothitelle or Deoxys-D. I thought I'd just bring up the ideas I had for you.
    Good Luck w/ the team & I hope this helps!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)