Pokémon Araquanid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uncharted Territory has a separate subforum for Doubles OU, and some of the builds from there can be tweaked to work in VGC. These threads here are focused on singles. I don't have enough experience with doubles to make meta calls like this, but I can tell you that lacking Protect in that kind of environment is kinda dangerous because you can get double-targeted, so it's best to keep that in mind when building.
Ah gotcha. Probably explains why there hasn't been an Oranguru post here either haha. And Protect is that important huh? Always hated using it unless it was a core move to a startagy, or those special protect moves

Ive been using Araquanid in my rain dance team and she is a Beast.

Araquanid Leftovers | Water bubble
Brave (248HP, 252 Attack, 8 sp.def)
Liquidation
Scald
Poison Jab
Tóxic

I use it as a tanky wallbreaker along with pelipper, kingdra, dugtrio, tapu koko, and a last slot im testing (pheromose until she gets banned).
Liquidatión oneshots anything that isnt bulky and even deals serious damage to things that resist it. If the enemy is physical tank, scald gets nice damage even uninvested. The only mons who can tank it (as far as ive se en) are ferro tapu fini and megavenu

I haven't tested this out too much but a Normalium-Z Stockpile set seems to be pretty good for bolstering some pretty great bulk. I'm not sure of any calculations, but from my limited experience with this set it can tank some pretty strong special hits. The Z-Stockpile allows it to buff its defences and heal at the same time from which point it can start hitting with Liquidation and its other moves.

Araquanid @ Normalium-Z
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Sp.Def
Careful Nature
-Liquidation
-Lunge
-Stockpile
-Leech Life / Poison Jab

I haven't tested this out too much but a Normalium-Z Stockpile set seems to be pretty good for bolstering some pretty great bulk. I'm not sure of any calculations, but from my limited experience with this set it can tank some pretty strong special hits. The Z-Stockpile allows it to buff its defences and heal at the same time from which point it can start hitting with Liquidation and its other moves.

Araquanid @ Normalium-Z
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Sp.Def
Careful Nature
-Liquidation
-Lunge
-Stockpile
-Leech Life / Poison Jab
Its a waste of a Z-move slot, I wouldn't recommend this kind of build as araquanid can only heal itself once, if you want a stallier araquanid set, then rest talk / aqua ring + leftovers is more consistent and better, and I'd much prefer spending the turn 2 shotting something or burn fishing with scald over setting up a defense boost let alone 3 turns setting it up + 1 turn healing which you'll never get again. Defend Order Vespiquen even outclasses this particular set.

Also don't use sets invented by verlisify they're trash, hate the fact somebody spammed my skype with that araquanid video this morning as a joke...

Being one of my favorite mon this gen, i really experimented a lot of set with this one.
And as said in the first page, i think in single the sleep talk is the better option.
However i do really believe the Z Normalium can be very handy and have multiple use.

This set is the one i currently use in Single Battle spot.

Araquanid @ Normalium-Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Careful Nature
-Liquidation
-Rest
-Stockpile
-Sleep Talk

Here the Z crystal play 2 role.
Heal you up if you really need to setup.
Or break wall faster with increased critical hit ratio.

Liquidation is the only attacking move, like the set on the front page, however, with stock pile, you don't become reliant on burning or even pokemon that you are weak against.
Since araquanid is naturally slow, you may take few hit but you have many recovery options and once your set, barring critical hit, it's very hard to stop this thing.

I have put this thing against Eeveeboosted baton pass team,sweeper trying to setup, and renverse sweeped numerous team that weren't able to kill me in the 2 initial turn i put this thing out.
Pair this with Ninetail Double Screen, and pokemon that can eliminate the other treat and you have a very solid Pokemon

How exactly are people getting power split onto araquanid? Is it a purely theoretical move set at the moment? The only way to get it onto him seems to be from Shuckle?

Ive been using Araquanid in my rain dance team and she is a Beast.

Araquanid Leftovers | Water bubble
Brave (248HP, 252 Attack, 8 sp.def)
Liquidation
Scald
Poison Jab
Tóxic

I use it as a tanky wallbreaker along with pelipper, kingdra, dugtrio, tapu koko, and a last slot im testing (pheromose until she gets banned).
Liquidatión oneshots anything that isnt bulky and even deals serious damage to things that resist it. If the enemy is physical tank, scald gets nice damage even uninvested. The only mons who can tank it (as far as ive se en) are ferro tapu fini and megavenu
don't forget mantine with water absorb ran into someone using a similar team and kept switching into mantine after scouting the move they were locked into, shuts it down completely

don't forget mantine with water absorb ran into someone using a similar team and kept switching into mantine after scouting the move they were locked into, shuts it down completely
Volcanion also laughs at Araquanid as does anything with Water Absorb or Storm Drain that doesn't have stats so garbage that the non-water moves start becoming threatening. Araquanid's water moves are pretty scary but against a team packing water immunities or strong resists they'll only get you so far. Hence why team support is crucial to Araquanid's success. It's important that you try to remove checks and counters like Ferrothorn, Volcanion, Toxapex, Mantine, and Mega Venusaur before setting the spider out to drown everything.

I've seen Araquanid handle Toxapex just fine with two liquidations.
252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex on a critical hit in the rain: 92-108 (30.2 - 35.5%) -- 33.6% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. -1 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex on a critical hit in the rain: 138-162 (45.3 - 53.2%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO

How

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex on a critical hit in the rain: 92-108 (30.2 - 35.5%) -- 33.6% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. -1 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex on a critical hit in the rain: 138-162 (45.3 - 53.2%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO

How
you forgot to calc with water bubble :]

252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex in Rain: 65-77 (41.4 - 49%)

That's the literally the default ability on the calc and the one I used, so I don't know why it's not reflected in the calc. Tried it again and it still doesn't work.

In any case it needs a Defense drop or a crit, so my point stands

I just can't imagine this thing actually accomplishing much in higher tiers unless you use Choice Band or something, but even in that instance why not use Azumarill instead? Azumarill will hit hard with Waterfall, Play Rough and Superpower while this thing will hit hard with Liquidation. I think that people grossly overestimate this thing's livability and healing potential as well. Literally every non-water move that this thing has is barely going to dent anything that isn't a Caterpie with that abysmal base 70 attack stat, and even with Choice Band it's still distressfully underwhelming as a whole. Additionally it has poor physical bulk but decent special bulk, but sadly no good recovery to compliment its special bulk. Maybe I'm being harsh although I really don't think so.

Araquanid @ Choice Band
Lonely
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Scald
- Crunch / Poison Jab??

Liquidation for power, leech life for other STAB + recovery. Poison Jab and Crunch are pretty much there because they exist, but Liquidation will hit harder most of the time due to Water Bubble. Scald is there mostly for burns, of course. No matter what you do this thing is going to get walled by water types anyway.

That's the literally the default ability on the calc and the one I used, so I don't know why it's not reflected in the calc. Tried it again and it still doesn't work.

In any case it needs a Defense drop or a crit, so my point stands
If your using showdowns damage calculator it doesn't calculate the added damage from water bubble not sure why, possibly because they don't know if the damage calculated is before or after defences are factored in.

Also personal opinion that it's more likely to run into a split defensive spread on toxapex with calm nature so that tapu koko doesn't 1 shot it. So depending on the split it possible for 3 hit ko but if toxapex has recover or baneful bunker that all goes to shit.

I just can't imagine this thing actually accomplishing much in higher tiers unless you use Choice Band or something, but even in that instance why not use Azumarill instead? Azumarill will hit hard with Waterfall, Play Rough and Superpower while this thing will hit hard with Liquidation. I think that people grossly overestimate this thing's livability and healing potential as well. Literally every non-water move that this thing has is barely going to dent anything that isn't a Caterpie with that abysmal base 70 attack stat, and even with Choice Band it's still distressfully underwhelming as a whole. Additionally it has poor physical bulk but decent special bulk, but sadly no good recovery to compliment its special bulk. Maybe I'm being harsh although I really don't think so.

Araquanid @ Choice Band
Lonely
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Scald
- Crunch / Poison Jab??

Liquidation for power, leech life for other STAB + recovery. Poison Jab and Crunch are pretty much there because they exist, but Liquidation will hit harder most of the time due to Water Bubble. Scald is there mostly for burns, of course. No matter what you do this thing is going to get walled by water types anyway.
252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 122-144 (40.1 - 47.3%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

vs

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 96-113 (31.5 - 37.1%) -- 81.2% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Araqanid's liquidation is quite a bit stronger than azumarill's waterfall and barely stronger than azumarill's +6 belly drum aqua jet.

You actually don't need any other move just use liquidation. Liquidation under rain will almost always be stronger than any other move you'd go for.

I only use liquidation and sleep talk after I realized I was only using liquidation. The added fact that araquanid can't be burned makes this out class azuarill in my opinion.

(Araquanid) @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Liquidation
- Sleep Talk

Note: If you're using smogon's calc, increase the attack of liquidation to 170 as water bubble currently doesn't increase water attacks on smogons calc.

Start at around 4:08. This thing managed to OHKO a Celesteela with 252hp 180def evs and a relaxed nature, and then survived a psychic terrain boosted, choice specs boosted psychic from tapu lele. That's absoulutely insane

I don't know why everybody is going nuts over Araquanid's offensive capabilities, i mean yeah its very strong, but Crawdaunt is stronger (LO Crabhammer does the same as banded liquidation, and obviously banded crab is much stronger) along with an amazing secondary STAB, priority and swords dance, so if you're looking for a powerful water type wallbreaker then Crawdaunt is your man - not Araquanid.

I think whats really amazing and unique about Araquanid (and most importantly how it stands out from daunt and maybe azu) is it's defensive capabilities. Did you know Araquanid has the SECOND highest base SpD of all bug types? Thats pretty neat. For example as shown in the replay above, nid ALWAYS survives specs psychic from tapu lele from max hp, and it also lives scarf psychic after rocks, making it a decent check to Lele:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Araquanid: 283-334 (83.4 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Araquanid: 190-225 (56 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It can actually switch into Pokemon like the landos (yes even lando-i, unless it has rock slide or something), tapu fini, mamoswine, clefable, some magearna variants, even rotom-w to an extent (volt switch only does 35-40% and can't burn you, so either rotom-w stays in and does pitiful damage with pump while you do around 40% back, or they volt switch out and you get to smack whatever comes in - win win), and some others im forgeting. I think this is what sets Araquanid apart from Crawdaunt.

EDIT: On the subject of crawdaunt, i was experimenting with some Crawdaunt calcs and came across this magnificent sight:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 304-359 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I know this isn't really relevant but holy damn that calc is sexy, seeing Toxapex die in one hit 100% of the time is a beautiful sight no matter what.

Last edited:
I'm gonna hop on I like donkeys' proposal of defensive Araquanid and say that I think this thing might actually like a similar build to how Alolan Marowak is run(defensive investment + Thick Club/Leftovers, but for the sake of comparison, let's go with Thick Club). Water Bubble doubling its Water moves is actually rather similar to Marowak's Thick Club boost, albeit only for Water moves. But that's good enough, we know how hard both of them hit. Araquanid, also similar to Marowak, has a slightly altered type chart thanks to Water Bubble turning Fire into a resistance.

What I've been running as well, is Mirror Coat. There is pokemon you won't touch with Water moves, but Mirror Coat can be a decent alternative there, at least against special attackers. It works pretty well too, and might actually help Arqauanid against Storm Drain/Water Absorb users. I believe a defensive set could make good use of this move actually, considering how well it already worked on my 252HP 252Atk Assault Vest spider.

On the topic of running this thing defensively, would dropping water bubble for water absorb be even remotely a good idea? Odds are you can bluff the water bubble and if Araquanid is not running offense, even if it does get burned it's not going to care. Personally, I don't think I would run this guy outside of tanky bruiser but I figured I'd throw it out there for the sake of brainstorming.

I think whats really amazing and unique about Araquanid (and most importantly how it stands out from daunt and maybe azu) is it's defensive capabilities. Did you know Araquanid has the highest base SpD of all bug types? Thats pretty neat.

Anyway, I think your analysis is pretty accurate. Araquanid has decent bulk, something that Crawdaunt can't boast, and a fairly nice set of resistances (notably resists Ground and Ice).

Play around with the bulk as well as the additional power Water Bubble gives you.

On the topic of running this thing defensively, would dropping water bubble for water absorb be even remotely a good idea? Odds are you can bluff the water bubble and if Araquanid is not running offense, even if it does get burned it's not going to care. Personally, I don't think I would run this guy outside of tanky bruiser but I figured I'd throw it out there for the sake of brainstorming.
Nah, being immune to burn and gaining an additional resistance to Fire is too good to pass up (as it *also* boosts any water move, including Scald). You already resist water and have great SpDef, so having Water Bubble lets you wall Mega Charizard Y for example.

I don't know why everybody is going nuts over Araquanid's offensive capabilities, i mean yeah its very strong, but Crawdaunt is stronger (LO Crabhammer does the same as banded liquidation, and obviously banded crab is much stronger) along with an amazing secondary STAB, priority and swords dance, so if you're looking for a powerful water type wallbreaker then Crawdaunt is your man - not Araquanid.

I think whats really amazing and unique about Araquanid (and most importantly how it stands out from daunt and maybe azu) is it's defensive capabilities. Did you know Araquanid has the highest base SpD of all bug types? Thats pretty neat. For example as shown in the replay above, nid ALWAYS survives specs psychic from tapu lele from max hp, and it also lives scarf psychic after rocks, making it a decent check to Lele:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Araquanid: 283-334 (83.4 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Araquanid: 190-225 (56 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It can actually switch into Pokemon like the landos (yes even lando-i, unless it has rock slide or something), tapu fini, mamoswine, clefable, some magearna variants, even rotom-w to an extent (volt switch only does 35-40% and can't burn you, so either rotom-w stays in and does pitiful damage with pump while you do around 40% back, or they volt switch out and you get to smack whatever comes in - win win), and some others im forgeting. I think this is what sets Araquanid apart from Crawdaunt.

EDIT: On the subject of crawdaunt, i was experimenting with some Crawdaunt calcs and came across this magnificent sight:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 304-359 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I know this isn't really relevant but holy damn that calc is sexy, seeing Toxapex die in one hit 100% of the time is a beautiful sight no matter what.
It's also immune to burn. Something else to set it apart from Crawdaunt

It might be good for a surprise or two but as soon as they figure out araquinid has water absorb it instantly becomes set up fodder. Since it doesn't have the move pool or speed to gimp sweepers unless you want to go burn fishing with a super weak scald, or maybe toxic stall.

Might be a bit offtopic here but I don't know a better place to ask.

I just catched a shiny Araquanid ingame and I was super happy about it since I really LOVE bug types, especially this one. Unfortunately the nature is ... modest :<

Anyone here has an idea how I could use this to my adventage? It now has the same amount of atk as it has spatk. I was thinking about using Scald, Ice Beam and two filler moves. Any ideas for something special? I'd love to use it but having atk lowered kinda makes me sad :<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)