Arcanite's Contest Hall: Contest #2: SF1: Glacier Knight Vs. Dogfish44

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome back to Arcanite's Contest hall!

You join us in a replica of the cinnabar Island Volcano crater, where the battle round is about to take place!
The contestants appeal and Battle on a slab of Rock 20m by 20m. Surrounding this is a ring of lava. Any pokemon to touch this, is inflicted with a burn, and takes an immediate 10 damage. At the end of each round, there is a 30% Chance that a lava Plume will fire from the Lava and strike a pokemon, acting as a lava plume attack from a rank 5 Sp. Attack, however, the audience will join you, and curse your luck, increasing your appeal gauge by half of the damage taken.
Glacier Knight, with Truffles the Mamoswine:

[HIDE="Truffles the Mamoswine]

Mamoswine(*) [Truffles] (Male)

Nature: Sassy (+1 SpD, -15% Speed, -10% Evasion)

Info on Truffles: Shunned and Rejected by its faults, Truffles doesn't care what others say. He knows his true power and can now use his eccentric abilities and brute force to turn the tides of the battle into his favor. He keeps his head high and rushes into battle with a grin on his face, but still keeps his eyes keen and mind sharp. Supposedly extinct since the last ice age? Far from it.

Type:
Ice: Ice STAB; immune to freezing and Sheer Cold, no vision loss or damage in Hail or snowstorm conditions, perfectly accurate and 30% Protect breaking Blizzard in Hail. Superior senses and mobility in frozen caves and other frigid arenas.

Ground: Ground STAB; Immune to all electrical attacks, can Dig through almost any substance, Evasive Digging reduced from 3 per action Energy Cost to 2 per action, superior senses in darkened cave surroundings.

Abilities:
Oblivious: (Innate) This Pokemon is incapable of being effected by Attract or Cute Charm.
Snow Cloak: (Innate) This Pokemon is used to snowy blizzard conditions and gains a 20% evasion boost during Hail. Pokemon with this ability are immune to Hail damage.
Thick Fat (DW,Unlocked): (Innate) This Pokemon has a great deal of extra fat or muscle that increases its resistance to extreme heat or extreme cold, reducing the type effectiveness of Fire and Ice-typed attacks to the next level of resistance (2x weak becomes neutral, neutral becomes resistance, etc.)

Stats:
HP: 110
Atk: Rank 5
Def: Rank 3
SpA: Rank 3
SpD: Rank 3 (+)
Spe: 69 (-)
Size Class: 5
Weight Class: 7
Base Rank Total: 20

EC: 9/9
MC: 0
DC: 5/5 Dream World Ability Unlocked!

Attacks:
Ancient Power
Peck
Tackle*
Odor Sleuth*
Mud Sport*
Powder Snow*
Mud-slap*
Endure*
Mud Bomb*
Icy Wind*
Blizzard
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Scary Face
Ice Shard
Amnesia
Mist

Curse*
Body Slam*
Icicle Spear*
Fissure
Horn Attack
Icicle Crash
Rock Slide
Bite
Sleep Talk

Ice Beam*
Toxic*
Hail*
Dig
Light Screen
Protect
Avalanche
Bulldoze
Rock Tomb
Stone Edge
Secret Power
Facade
Substitute
Reflect
Rest
Hidden Power (Grass 7)
Double Team[/HIDE]

VS

Dogfis44's Archeops, Rawk!

Archeops [Rawk] (Male)
Nature: Mild (+1 SpA, -1 Def)

Type: Rock/Flying: Flying STAB; immunity to Ground attacks except under the effects of Smack Down and Gravity, even for ground-based flying Pokemon. Immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Enhanced aerial mobility. Superior senses in open air arenas. Rock STAB; Reduce damage from all special attacks by two (2) Base Attack Power during Sandstorm. Able to use Sand Tomb without losing focus.

Abilities:
Defeatist (Trait): The Pokemon tires from prolonged battles easily, and deals 3 less damage once below 50% of its maximum HP. Once Faint-Hearted is active, attacks cost two (2) less energy. If the Pokemon goes back above 50% of its maximum HP in battle, Faint-Hearted's effects will dissapear.

Stats:

Archeops
HP: 100
Atk: Rank 5
Def: Rank 2 (-)
SpA: Rank 5 (+)
SpD: Rank 3
Spe: 110
Size Class: 3
Weight Class: 3
Base Rank Total: 22

EC: 6/6
MC: 0
DC: N/A

Attacks:
Quick Attack
Leer
Wing Attack
Rock Throw
Double Team
Scary Face
Pluck
AncientPower
Quick Guard
Dragon Claw
Crunch
Acrobatics
Rock Slide
DragonBreath
Endeavor
Dragon Claw
Thrash
U-Turn

Bite
Steel Wing
Head Smash
Dragon Pulse
Earth Power

Smack Down
Earthquake
Hone Claws
Protect
Toxic
Taunt
Substitute
Dig
Focus Blast
Stone Edge
Dragon Tail
Torment

Son_of_Shadoo will be your Referee, and I will run the appeals gauge immediately after each round. the match will last 4 rounds.

Appeal Gauge will increase for battling creatively, and making it a show for the audience!
  • Successful combo: +5
  • Blocking damage (not via protect etc): +X (X is amount of damaged blocked)
  • Inventive move use: +5
  • Rank Penalty (+2*the Base rank total of your opponents Pokemon)
  • Arena Effects
  • KO Bonus
  • Refs will then give points as to the general appeal of the round. (max 10 appeal points per round)

Glacier Knight shall order first!

Ok Truffles, now its your time to shine.

Yes buddy, you are a powerhouse. a full-frontal attacker. you don't want to look pretty, you want to hit hard. But i can help guide the way to victory! listen to my commands and do as followed, and your attacks will be hard hitting and stunning! the audience will be in awe and excitement. Do Dexter proud, he got us this far!

First, we must note its been a while since dexter's performance. the haze, rocks, and snow have vanished, leaving the volcano back to its original state. I think the audience missed that unique enviroment, let's bring it back, but with your own twist! Start with a combonation attack; use all your power to conjure up a mighty blanket of frost and vapor. cover the arena thick with it! the crowd with gasp and be eager to squint, they will want to see what happens next! the hail and mist you created will leave the volcano arena feeling quite strange; heat rising from below, and cold crashing from the sky, meeting in the middle to make a opaque light blue distortion. Your opponent won't be able to locate you! it may try to blow away your impressive stunt, but realize it is everywhere! it falls constantly! it will need to use more than petty wing attacks and flapping to subdue your misty magic.

After the cooldown, show that bird who is boss! you rule this match, power-wise and appeal-wise! Use something he's never seen before, your Secret Powers! you will stand there, in your dominating mist, with clear vision. this icy precipitation and frosty mist have no effect on your eyesight, making your target clear! summon the glowing ball of power, mimicing your previous partner's routine, and hold it above your head! let it get used to its surroundings, thats how the appeal comes into play. It will match its enviroment, which is unique! the ball will turn a swirling surge of fierce orange, Hazy blue, and Earthy gray, to match the lava, ice, and rock that you have displayed! then, when the ball is its biggest, aim it at the ancient buzzard, and charge! Slam the precious and gorgeous ball of light into your opponent, and it will shatter into many wonderful colors! the crowd will oooo and the enemy will aaack, becuase that secret power will be a deadly variation of pain. Heat! Cold! he wont be able to take it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now, this will be a wonderful show, but it could be halted. if that nasty birdy decides to Taunt you, and ruin your spectacular show, then go with plan b, your favorite plan! Destroy-with some flair, of course. Take the Taunt, and retaliate with a Sub-zero Ice Beam, use both your tusks! aim for the right wing, and freeze it solid! Poor little birdy, we've clipped his wings now- appealing, i believe, as the crowd goes wild at the icy stunt. we are in a fire pit, after all. Using ice in a burning hell pit? Remarkably bold! Bring more frosty pain. Turn to the audience and show your teeth, bare those icicle fangs! Then charge your fallen opponent, and take a fierce bite, right in his left wing! The ice may numb the pain a little, but your power stands above that! it will reel, and the crowd will quench the thirst for a show! To top it all off, step back a little, and above your head construct a most treacherous looking icicle spear. make it big and huge! then, taking careful aim, crash it into the ancient pest! right into its center!

these commands are more deadly than your prioritized ones, but they lack the sheer beauty and wonder your true performance will present. either way, Your opponent has to be very careful!

Hail+Mist~Cooldown(icicle crash)~Secret Power

if he uses taunt a1, then use Ice Beam~Ice Fang~Icicle Crash

Good luck Dogfish, let's have a fun and appealing match (and it better not turn out like how all our warlight matches go -_-)

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
"We have a few tricks of our own, let us show you!

Begin with a 20 HP Substitute in order to prepare ourselves. Next, we need to have a change in the arena. Perhaps we should add a large amount of lava? Use an Earth Power to blast the lava around us across the arena, aiming to have a controlled eruption strike Truffles and melt the ice that will appear. Finish up with an Earthquake - aim to separate the rock (As much as possible) into 2 halves, splitting up you and Truffles and letting the lava flow down it. That ought to deal with most of his movepool."

Jesus Christ, I can already tell this flavour is going to be a fucking nightmare. WHY DID I AGREE TO THIS.

I will be reffing at the weekend as I'm EXTREMELY busy with uni work as of late.

Team Glacier Knight:

Truffles (M) (Oblivious, Snow Cloak, Thick Fat)
HP: 110
Energy: 100
Speed: 69
Stats: 0

Team dogfish44:

Rawk (M) (Defeatist)
HP: 100
Energy: 100
Speed: 110

A Contest battle in a friggin volcano. Can someone explain to me why I decided to ref this?

Arcanite (offstage): For 3 UC!

... Fuck me, I'm desperate.

Anyway. Rawk, dogfish's Archeops, bursts from his Pokéball, twirling as he does so! But apparently he has stage fright, hiding behind a cardboard cutout of himself. A poorly-drawn one at that. Truffles on the other hand, Glacier's Mamoswine crashes out of his ball, and roars mightily, breathing out a white vapour as he does so. But wait a minute... Ow! Ow! Ow! Friggin hailstones! In a volcano? HOW DOES THIS EVEN WORK! Well, it'll take time for the heat to clear all this at any rate, but until then we (read: me) suffer. It's pretty though, as the heat haze interacts with the mist, and the hail starts to sparkle inside it... Oooh, pretty lights in a blue aura...

As Truffles rests from its combo, proud of its work, Rawk sets about undoing it all, with a precision Earth Power that blasts Truffles with lava from below, and the sheer heat dissipates the weather! What a move, and it leaves Truffles burned by the lava to boot. Rawk turns up the heat even more with a nasty Earthquake! Hey, be careful! One more of those might cause an eruption! The arena is quickly becoming split up, separating the contestants, and shaking Truffles to his core. It doesn't stop him charging an orange-grey ball of energy, drawing power from the lava and rocks around him that blasts Rawk's cardboard cutout for... Wow, really not that much. IT'S CARDBOARD! Over to Arcanite for the appeals gauge.

Calcs:
Archeops used Substitute! (20 HP, 18 energy)
Mamoswine used Wintry Weather! (23 energy, Hail and Mist both sides for 2 rounds)
The substitute is struck by hail! (2)
Archeops used Earth Power! Earth Power became Fire-typed! (hit roll: 6039 - yes) Mamoswine was struck by the lava! (10 damage, Mamo burned) (crit roll: 6850 - no, drop roll: 1137 - no) (12 damage, 7 energy)
The Wintry Weather dissipated!
Mamoswine rested from its combo!
Mamoswine is hurt by burn! (2)
Archeops used Earthquake! (crit roll: 9376 - no) (13 damage, 7 energy)
Mamoswine used Secret Power! (crit roll: 9068 - no) (7.71 damage sub, 5 energy)
Arena roll: 3579 - no.

Team Glacier Knight:

HP: 71
Energy: 72

Team dogfish44:

Rawk (M) (Defeatist)
HP: 80
Energy: 68

Round 1 Appeals Gauge:

Rank Bonus: +44
Successful Combo: +5
Overall Appeal: +6/10
Total: 55

Rank Bonus: +40
Inventive Move Use: +5 (Earth power to cause an Eruption)
Overall appeal: +7/10
Total: 52

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
"Awww, look at the cute little Mamoswine trapped away from you. Keep on your side of the lava moat between you, and Torment the fool's awkward position. Then, use an AncientPower to summon some rocks to surround you from the volcano, forming a flaming shield of rocks around you, to protect you from ice attacks, by melting them as they get near. Finish up with an Earth Power aimed from below the rock that Mamoswine is on - have it shake and vibrate to knock Mamoswine over and prevent it from getting anywhere with it's attacks!

"Truffles, let's do this."

We have a slight lead on appeal, but the battle isn't all ours. Time to shape up! Don't let the wittle archeops bother you with that torment! cut the crap and show him a true Scary Face! That will put him in his place, and make him sluggish with fear.

He wants to defend from all around? that's fine by us. Being the superior opponent we can easily go around his plans! Show your might and Ancient Power! He will yelp in surprise as his own shard of platform glows, then promptly sinks! Yes, use your Ancient strength to sink his safe haven. His little dummy will sink with it, and we all know what happens when you put cardboard in lava! After your attack he will raise his barrier, but he's got nothing to protect him from our master plan!

Truffles, Archeops is surrounded by his floating barrier, and underneath him is lava. His defensive tactic was clever, but let's show him how grave of an error he made! Time to make Archeops his own personal coffin! Shake and shimmy, and make a Rock Slide! the crater will tremble, and the side nearest your opponent will crumble, pouring huge boulders onto him! Because he has his flaming lava chunks surrounding him, he has nowhere to go but down! Down your rock rockslide will push him, into the nova-hot lava! Time to Cremate that silly fossil once and for all! He won't be able to pull off an earth power when he's being smothered into lava!

Scary Face~Use Ancient Power to sink Archeops' Platform~Rock Slide boulders from above

Yeah, I'm not even going to pretend I have a justifiable excuse. I forgot. Again.

Team Glacier Knight:

Energy: 72

Team dogfish44:

Rawk (M) (Defeatist)
HP: 80
Energy: 68

The battle kicks up again, with Rawk infecting Truffles' mind with dark thoughts, tormenting him, and preventing him from using moves twice in a row. Doesn't seem much use in a contest, but Truffles seems pretty shaken! As is Rawk moments later when Truffles retaliates with an incredibly intimidating face. Suddenly I have the strange desire to flee.

Next, both Pokémon summon ancient powers to aid them! Truffles is first, and uses them to sink Rawk's platform beneath the lava! An ingenious move... If Rawk weren't a flying type... What a blunder by Glacier! Rawk hovers unharmed above the lava, his cardboard cutout still somehow intact. And it probably will be for some time, as Rawk's AncientPower summons a shield around him of tough rock. Good luck cracking that! Though Rawk may have a tough time seeing out of it...

Truffles wisely fights fire with fire, and causes a cascade of rocks to barrel down on the rock shield, but it holds firm against the assault, and to make matters worse, Rawk's Earth Power strikes true, hurting Truffles with more lava. His burn isn't making things any better for him either - things are looking bad for Glacier!

Calcs:
Archeops used Torment! (10 energy, Mamoswine Tormented 6a)
Mamoswine used Scary Face! (6 energy, Archeops -2 Spd)
Mamoswine used AncientPower! (raise roll: 2082 - no) (4 energy, Archeops' platform sunk, Archeops is flying above the lava)
Archeops used AncientPower! (raise roll: 424 - yes) (3 energy, Archeops shielded - Rock Shield has 20 HP, but drops accuracy by half)
Mamoswine used Rock Slide! (hit roll: 535 - yes, crit roll: 3507 - no) (3.50 damage shield, 9.75 damage Archeops, 6 energy)
Archeops used Earth Power! Earth Power became fire typed! (hit roll: 1060 - yes, crit roll: 3372 - no, drop roll: 2456 - no) Mamoswine was struck by lava! (10 damage) (12 damage, 7 energy)

Team Glacier Knight:

HP: 43
Energy: 56

Team dogfish44:

Rawk (M) (Defeatist)
Energy: 48
Stats: -2 Spd

Round 2 Appeals Gauge:

Successful Combo: +5 (Platform destruction)
Overall Appeal: +8/10
Total: 68

Inventive Move Use: +5 (Rock Shield)
Overall appeal: +7/10
Total: 64

Also, for the next round, the Volcano is even hotter! any moves with a burn chance have their chance doubled, and all ice moves melt before their target is hit (unless at close range) and become water type!

N.B. Mamoswine is also tormented.

first off, i must say i'm sorry that i didn't see this, or i would have posted earlier. i didn't know SoS reffed.

Second, i'm more than a little upset with that happened. Therefore, i'd like to calmly state some points and hopefully you will see where i stand.

I'd like to address first my confusion with why the Substitute didn't burn up/crumble/disappear/etc. Substitutes are not in any way like double team clones. Double team clones are "alive", move around, etc (please see the anime and other asb references). Substitutes stay where they are. they do not move, they cannot move unless someone moves them, and they stay put. Because of this, Rawk's substitute is where? on the stone platform, and it will stay there. Now, since mamoswine used ancient power to sink the Platform, the substitute follows suit, and ends up in the Lava. Therefore, i believe my move utterly destroys the Substitute. SoS references the sub to be made of cardboard, and even if its not, anything would be disintegrated in lava. I do not see how the substitute is still alive after i remove the only safe-haven it had on the lava.

Also, after looking through the round, i spotted something else that caught my attention. The rock Shield formed by Rawk took all the damage of the Rock Slide. I will quote dogfish (and you can see it a few posts above this one), where he says in his commands
"Awww, look at the cute little Mamoswine trapped away from you. Keep on your side of the lava moat between you, and Torment the fool's awkward position. Then, use an AncientPower to summon some rocks to surround you from the volcano, forming a flaming shield of rocks around you, to protect you from ice attacks, by melting them as they get near. Finish up with an Earth Power aimed from below the rock that Mamoswine is on - have it shake and vibrate to knock Mamoswine over and prevent it from getting anywhere with it's attacks!
The Underlined parts are the main focus, as they confirm that his rock shield extends around rawk, not above rawk. therefore, as Rawk created the shield, he was left open to attack from only two places, above and below. As in my commands, i told Mamoswine to Rockslide rocks, making them pour onto Rawk from above. Rawk did not summon the rock shield in any way above him, so therefore the Rocks should pour into the Rock Shield and onto Rawk. Imagine That you are pouring cereal into a bowl. The Rock shield is the bowl (albeit with a lava bottom), the Rocks mamoswine summons is the cereal. The Cereal falls into the bowl, voila~!

Please do not see this as rude or attacking, i just do not understand why what happened occurred. This is supposed to be flavorful and RP, so i believe fully that my stunts should have worked. i have quotes and references to back up my ideas.

If someone could please explain to me why my actions failed, i would be appreciative. Otherwise, i believe the round needs to be redone.

With regards to substitute, the substitute of a flying pokemon in my mind should not sit on the ground. It would be highly obvious it was a sub, and therefore I believe that a substitute of a flying Pokemon remains airbourne.
Bulbapedia said:
In the anime, substitutes are seen to be exact clones of the user.
N.B. S_o_S, thanks for the flavour, but substitutes in AS are definitely not cardboard! :-)

The Rock Slide is less straightforward. I personally think that surround you and around you are slightly different. The slight inconsistency makes things difficult. If Archeops was to use a move that requred a line of sight between Mamo and himself, I would deifinitely go for around. Even if the rock slide is from above, there would be no way of telling (from mamo's point of view) where within the Ring he is.

I am going to rule that Rock Slide has BP 5 Against both archeops and the Rock Shield as some rocks hit each. The shield acts around Archeops. The Shield is Rock Type, with Rank 4 Defence and Sp. Defence.

I will get S_o_S to fix this ASAP.

Ok, that is fair enough. thank you for listening to what i had to say (sorry if i was a bit of a bother). Will post actions asap, as i have some things to ref first.

Woah. I thought someone deleted this, or it just went into the twilight zone....

yeah. This was fun, but we all forgot about it :/

I drops out too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)