Arceus-Dragon (qc 2/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview
########

+Resisting fire means great things for a support Arceus in this metagame- it means aren't as scared of Ho-oh and that you can reliably check most support Primal Groudon variants.
+It's easier than ever to check Fairy-types, thanks to Primal Groudon's splashability.
+STAB differs from Arceus-Water's and allows it to hit Salamence, Mega Gengar, Primal Groudon and break Ho-oh subs while only using up one moveslot, whereas Arceus-Water would need two.
+This means that it's easier to justify Defog on this mon on a team that would need a Fire resist and Salamence check.
-Steel and Fairy types are annoying. Most are quite easily exploited by teammates but Mega Diancie and Klefki stand out as big threats.
-Dragon-typing is a doubled edged sword. While a super effective judgment can keep Lati@s at bay, they can also OHKO back. Dragon Tail from support Groudon can be annoying.
-Trades an ice resist for an electric resist, making its synergy with Primal Groudon a little less notable.
-While it is a great support Primal Groudon check, it need to be paired with something that can handle offensive Primal Groudon. Its bad type synergy with traditional offensive Primal Groudon checks like Lati@s, Salamence and Giratina-O can make teambuilding somewhat restricted.
-Hates Toxic, like most Arceus-formes.

CM is a super niche set that can sometimes surprise an opponent.

SET NAME
########
name: Draconic support
move 1: Judgment
move 2: Toxic / Will-o-wisp
move 3: Recover
move 4: Defog
item: Draco Plate
evs: 252 Hp / 200 Def / 56 Spe
nature: Bold

Moves
========

-Judgment for an all-purpose STAB. Notably it breaks Ho-oh's substitutes and revenge kills Salamence.
-Toxic is great to get on Ho-oh and Primal Groudon. Although the latter is hit rather hard by Judgment- Arceus-Dragon will have a much easier time recover stalling the Primal Groudon when it's badly poisoned. It can also annoy certain Fairy-type switch ins like Xerneas.
-Wisp is for Klefki, Ferrothorn and Jirachi. It can be affordable as long as you can cover Ho-oh.
-Recover is a staple on any bulky Arceus-forme. Don't leave home without it, kiddo.
-Judgments neutral coverage allows for the usage of Defog with few repercussions. Defog is obviously, especially considering the overall good match up Arceus-Dragon has vs the most common Stealth Rock user, Primal Groudon.

Set Details
========

-Max HP for general bulk, Arceus claim to fame.
-Speed for Adamant Ray, rest in defense for great physical bulk. Only a 12.5 % chance to get 2hkod by adamant Mega Salamence's return after SR, lives +1 adamant Salamence Double Edge after SR, doesn't get 2hkod by max attack Primal Groudon's Precipice Blades.
-Defense boosting and attack lowering nature for obvious reasons.
-Do I need to mention Draco plate?

Usage Tips
========

-Try to Toxic Primal Groudon.
-Use as a tank vs support Groudon and Ho-oh.
-Can check DD Mega Salamence.
-Monitor health closely as per the match's need.
-Formulate a plan during preview in which you make priority in what you will check with it. It's very easy to get overloading so be smart.
-Aka play it like Arceus-Water but do not the differences between the two.

Team Options
========

-Fairy checks/punish: Ho-oh, Primal Groudon, Mega Gengar, Klefki, Aegislash, Excadrill
-RP/SD Primal Groudon checks: Lugia, defensive Yveltal (I guess), Skarm, Landorous-T. If your team can afford having multiple dragons then Salamence, Latias, Latios, Giratina-o and charti berry Rayquaza are options as well.
-Diancie checks (the amount of security depends on your team: some teams are fine with stuff like sdef Primal Groudon, Flash Cannon Klefki and the likes): Primal Kyogre, Aegislash, Jirachi, Ferrothorn.
-Mega Diancie of your own can fuck a bit with Klefki sometimes maybe.
-Wisp variant needs teammates that can Toxic Primal Groudon and Ho-oh, such as Aegislash.

try to lean your team more towards bulky offense when choosing between this and Arceus-Water. Arceus-Water tends to fit more naturally on stallier builds because those types of teams can make up for the compromises the mon has to take with move choices. Arceus-Dragon's Judgment is of note as it compresses slots.

SET NAME
########
name: Draconic mastery
move 1: Judgment
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Recover
move 4: Fire Blast (really not sure about this slot)
item: Draco Plate
evs: 248 Hp / 8 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

-Judgment is the usual STAB move.
-The aim of the set is to sweep or weaken cores, Calm Mind allows for the more offensive route.
-Recover because Arceus.
-Fire Blast covers steels like Ferro and Klefki.
-Surf could cover Mega Diancie but unless you get critted, you can potentially go +6 vs it if it switches in on you.
-Ancient Power fucks around a bit with Ho-oh and can bail you a free sweep vs offense. Bulkier teams won't really mind it more than a boosted Arceus, though.

Set Details
========

-Max speed to tie Mence/other Arceus, outspeed Latias and Latios.
-HP for bulk, allowing you to check some stuff in a pinch, though not nearly as well as the support set.

Usage Tips
========

-Make sure to get rid of some annoying Fairys before sweeping.
-Keep away from Toxic and Thunder Wave.

Team Options
========
-Gengar stands out as a teammate.
-Primal Groudon is practically needed to cover the offensive fairys.
-Tentacruel can be nifty for Toxic Spikes/spin support and an addition fairy resist (Klefki destroyer).
-Other than that team should be built with a balanced mindset. Cover the bigger threats. CM Arceus-Dragon is still a decent support Primal Groudon check and can help slaying Mence sometimes.

Other Options
########

-moves to hit diancie with
-Whirlpool or something janky can buy turns.
-Stone Edge

Checks & Counters
########

1.fkn Mega Diancie- it owns you
2. goddamn Klefki is easier to punish than Diancie... But still annoying.
3. Xerneas
4. Steels: Ferro/Aegislash/Jirachi. In general, less offensively threatening than Xerneas though.
5. Blissey

not gonna add fairy arc tho, it hates tox too much.

Last edited:
discussion points:

-What do you think of Toxic? Is it necessary?
-CM set? Can it work? I know for sure one team it fits on steel...
-Other options?
-Is 252 def and 200 hp worth it over the current spread (it allows for a 9.4 chance of being 2hkod by ada mence return after sr fwiw)?

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
qc 1/3 when you implement the changes we talked about on skype (adding a cm set, mentioning magic bouncers and spinners)

Mention that it despises Toxic somewhere in Intro or maybe Checks & Counters (if vsing a stall team your opponent might be willing to trade Toxic's with a mon like Lugia or Waterceus if they can remove status with a cleric later on).

Nitpick but maybe run Flamethrower over Fire Blast in OO, Fire Blast falls JUST short of the 2HKO on Klefki sadly and cannot OHKO Ferrothorn. A miss on either target would defeat the purpose on running Fire coverage.

SR Dialga is kinda bad but Dragonceus dislikes it a lot. You can mention it if you want but I'll leave the decision up to you. SD Exacdrill might be worth mentioning as a soft check but IDK. No need for steelceus or fairyceus imo, no one uses either in this metagame. It would be like adding Heatran, and we all know how utterly useless that piece of shit is , , ,

QC 2/3, the compressment Judgment offers is intriguing. I made a team with Dragonceus and although the team itself is mediocre and I don't like the mon that much, it's definitely viable in this metagame.

I've been very pleased with the mon on two teams I've used it on and I have a build in mind for CM as well. Basically I came to realise:

Wisp deserves slashing with Toxic. Wisp really makes the match up vs bulky steels more bearable. It should only be used in conjunction with Toxic lures for Ho-oh (and Primal Groudon) and when the team minds facing Ho-oh less than Klefki/Ferro etc. Dragceus neutral Judgment allows for this.

I'll add a CM set cause why not.

Also I'm not too interested in writing this, so if someone could do that part, it'd be great.

Last edited:

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
In playtesting twave Gothitelle I found that it traps a shitton of stuff that bothers support Dragceus such as Klefki, CM Latios & Latias, Dialga, Ferrothorn, Bronzong, and the list goes on. I'd recommend mentioning that Dragceus run wisp in this core so Goth can actually trap Power Whip Ferro and Klefki.

fuck goth nigga I'm not supporting this shit in anyway :v
because of this shit I'm afraid to bring bulky teams now I don't get at all the latest hype.

I wont have time to do this before Sunday since I have important games coming up, college and going out this week end.
If someone want to take over I have no problem. I will keep on checking if nobody does, I do it on Sunday.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Minority Suspect I was really only going to change C&C and team options of all sets a bit, add the fat set (and make it the first set), and explain that the fat set as its primary niche in the metagame at the moment in the overview. With your permission may I c/p Sd and cm sets from your already written analysis?

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As I already said on PS! you should just write up the support set (from scratch obviously) then just CP what I already wrote for the CM and SD sets but adding in anything new Hack added in his bullet points. If people hate SD Arc Dragon to the point of they don't want to see it getting a set we can deal with that before giving this mon its third check, point is the work was already done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)