1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Arceus is God

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by ntiller, Sep 23, 2012.

1. ntiller

ntiller

Okay, so this team is completely centralized around the Extreme Killer, Arceus. Every Pokemon on this team is designed to help Arceus survive, open up holes in the opponents team, or set up entry hazards to help Arceus sweep. Also, this is my first post, so if I did anything wrong as far as forum rules go, please let me know. Thanks!
    Note: I am pretty sure this team is ranked on the Ubers ladder for Pokemon Showdown, but, since the site isn't working at time of posting, I don't know the exact ranking.

Arceus @ Silk Scarf
    Ability Multitype
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Extremespeed
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Shadow Claw

This is a pretty standard extreme killer set. I run earthquake over brick break because of the extra power. Skarmory and Ferrothorn, two excellent Arceus counters that this set can't answer effectively, are dealt with by other members of my team (Ho-oh and Groudon).

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 HP
    Bold Nature
    - Heal Bell
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Toxic

Arceus hates burns. He really, really, hates them. Heal bell enables Arceus to fight Giratina and other will-o-wisp users, and, if he gets burned, to be healed easily by Blissey for a second sweep attempt. Also, Wish allows Blissey to restore the HP of Arceus, as well as that of my other Pokemon, many of which are bulky. Finally, Blissey can wall Kyogre barring rain-boosted, max HP water spout.

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 88 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Roost
    - Substitute
    - Sacred Fire
    - Brave Bird

Ho-oh is a phenomenal tank, especially under the sun. It takes special hits like a champ and deals out brutal physical damage with it's base 130 Atk stat. Ferrothorn and Skarmory, two of Arceus's best counters, are terrified of Ho-oh. STAB Brave Bird takes a huge chunk out of Kyogre's health, rendering Water Spout impotent and helping me win the weather war. If Arceus dies, sun-boosted STAB Sacred Fire provides an alternate route to victory.

Forretress @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Toxic
    - Rapid Spin

Entry hazards are a huge help to Arceus when sweeping. Ho-oh hates stealth rock, so rapid spin support is crucial for Ho-oh to be successful. Toxic puts pokemon attempting to set up on Forretress on a tight clock. Pretty standard set, tbh.

Groudon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Drought
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Swords Dance

Groudon boosts the power of fire type moves by 50%, threatening pesky steel types and making Ho-oh an even more serious threat. It takes out Ferrothorn with ease, sets up entry hazards, and is an all around solid lead.

Mewtwo @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Aura Sphere
    - Ice Beam
    - Calm Mind
    - Psystrike

Mewtwo's ability to hit a wide variety of Pokemon either super-effectively or on their weaker defensive stat makes him an extremely versatile offensive threat. He can revenge kill things I normally couldn't answer, and with Calm Mind also functions as an extremely dangerous sweeper. He patches any weaknesses this team might have by killing them. :)

Note: I didn't include abilities when that Pokemon had no relevant abilities, or only one ability.

Please let me know what you think!
  2. GRB1

GRB1

I think the team is fairly solid. However, something so centralized is looking somewhat offense based. if this is your intention might i suggest, taking a look at weather sweepers. Just some advice. Oh and Ho-oh, regardless of Brave Bird, will still lose to a scarforgre.

And are you ABSOLUTELY SET on Arceus as main sweeper?
  3. ntiller

ntiller

Arceus is the main sweeper. The other two, Ho-Oh and Mewtwo, take care of the things that are difficult for Arceus to handle (Giratina, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Forretress, etc).
    And GRB1, Ho-oh will only use brave bird on Kyogre if it has a substitute in play (which is fairly often). Otherwise, I switch to Blissey. What weather sweepers would you suggest me looking at, and what should I take out?
  4. Furai

Furai a Ωdefender // a αguardian
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Hi ntiller, nice sun team.

For a sun team, you are AWFULLY Kyogre weak. It can come in on everything, and hit extremely hard with its STAB Water Spout. You also have absolutely no way to take it, as you have 0 resistances to Water-type moves. Moreover, even Blissey it 2HKOed by the Choice Specs set. Rayquaza can also have a field day on your team, as the Mixed Dancer can KO Groudon with Draco Meteor can wreck your team with Outrage. Terrakion can also have quite a punch on your team, as you rely on Mewtwo only to tank its Close Combat. Plus, you're using entry hazards without a spinblocker, which can really hurt your gameplan.

Fortunately, I have solutions for these problems.

Firstly, your Forretress spread and and moveset is not efficient at all. You cannot tank special hits such as Draco Meteor very well, and your moveset overlaps with Groudon's Stealth Rock. You should use either Volt Switch or Pain Split > Stealth Rock and a spread of 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SDef, Bold nature. The EVs guarantee that +1 Jolly LO Rayquaza will only have 1.17% to 2HKO you with its STAB Outrage even after Stealth Rock damage. Volt Switch provides scouting, whereas Pain Split increases Forretress's lifespan. Then, even if Forretress falls down, you need something to tank Rayquaza too. Changing Groudon's spread to 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def, Impish nature should do it, allowing you to tank physical hits with ease. Its moveset should also be Roar / Stealth Rock / Earthquake / Stone Edge: Roar phazes out Subsittute Pokemon such as Terrakion and Ho-oh, and Stone Edge allows you to actually damage Ho-oh and Rayquaza. To make things even easier against Rayquaza and Mewtwo, changing Ho-oh's spread to 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def, Impish nature would allow it avoid the OHKO from their boosted Outrage or Psystrike, respectively.

Onto your Kyogre weakness. Blissey seems to slow your team down and its actually a setup bait for Pokemon such as Gliscor and CM Kyogre. One of the best counters to Kyogre just made a recent comeback to the game--I'm obviously talking about Soul Dew Latias.
    Latias (open)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Latias @ Soul Dew
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 52 HP / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Roost
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Refresh

Thanks to Soul Dew, Latias can have an immediate "Calm Mind boost", which allows her to even tank Ice Beam from Kyogre. The EVs allow Latias to outspeed everything she can, including Terrakion and Garchomp, and OHKO Palkia with Dragon Pulse without Stealth Rock. Roost provides reliable recovery, which is pretty much a must, and Dragon Pulse is an extremely solid STAB. Refresh makes Latias a phenomenal Gliscor counter, as thanks to it Gliscor can not do anything, thanks to her Levitate ability.

Right now you're slightly Mewtwo weak, and a spinblocker would be a great addition to your team. Since your main sweeper is Arceus, and it does a phenomenal job at it, I think you can change Mewtwo for Giratina-O. The Substitute Shuffler set can work extremely well here, as it can check Mewtwo and Terrakion, while still being able to beat Stall with its shuffling and Subsittute qualities.
    Giratina-o (open)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Giratina-O @ Griseous Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 84 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Substitute
    - Dragon Tail
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Earthquake

The EVs allow you to outspeed 0 Speed Tentacruel and make a Substitute before it burns you with Scald. Earthquake is used to have a shot at taking down Excadrill, Dialga, Heatran, and Tentacruel.

TL;DR (open)
    • Volt Switch or Pain Split > Stealth Rock, 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SDef, Bold nature on Forretress
    • 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def, Impish nature, Roar / Stealth Rock / Earthquake / Stone Edge on Groudon
    • 248 / 8 Atk / 252 Def, Impish nature on Ho-oh
    • Latias > Blissey
    • Giratina-O > Mewtwo

Good Luck!
  5. LUST

LUST
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

I took the time to fix your RMT by making your Pokemon's Stats and Moveset visible. Please increase their descriptions as they are not quite upto the Forum Standards. Check out the RMT Archive and other active threads to see the kind of detail we look for.
  6. ntiller

ntiller

Thanks a lot Furry. I will definitely take your advice on swapping Blissey for Latias, although I suppose I'll have to be a little more cautious about exposing Arceus to Giratina. I think I will change Forretress as well, probably to have Pain Split. Also, having a more defensive Groudon makes sense, especially if I am replacing Mewtwo.
    However, I am a little worried about cutting Mewtwo. if I get rid of Mewtwo, how do I deal with Darkrai, Shaymin-S, Gliscor, and other fast, annoying Pokemon? Not to mention hard hitters like Zekrom and Rayquaza (I doubt defensive Groudon will be enough). Thanks for the help

Edit: Mostwanted-Thanks for cleaning up my post, I wasn't quite sure of the correct way to format it. What else should I have in the descriptions?
  7. Furai

Furai a Ωdefender // a αguardian
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Gliscor, as I said, is completely countered by Refresh Latias, as Refresh cures Toxic and Levitate means Earthquake immunity. Shaymin-S and Darkrai, along with other fast Pokemon, are dealt by your dual priority in Arceus and Giratina-O. Moreover, for Darkrai and Shaymin-S, you still have Ho-oh, one of the best Offensive Special Tanks in the game. Zekrom is countered by Groudon (watch out for mixed sets!) and Rayquaza can be played around with Groudon, Forretress, and Arceus. Dragon Dance-less Rayquaza are outsped and KOed by Latias.
  8. ntiller

ntiller

Ok, I'll definitely try that. Thanks a lot!
  9. Kierany9

Kierany9

Before I start, could you do all us all a favour by editing your initial post if you are going to make any changes. I can't tell if you've implemented any of the changes people have recommended.

If your team is going to be centered around Arceus, please, for the love of god(or Arceus...), give him Recover or Protect. Arceus is the center of your team and if he dies, then you're screwed. I also run an ExtremeArceus with both of these moves and it stalls like a boss.

Forretress has terrible synergy with the rest of the team. Why? It is weak to fire. What does that mean? Groudon and Ho-oh will set up the sun, but unless something takes it down, then Forretress is in for a world of pain. My personal suggestion would to drop the sun aspect. It seems like you're centring more around sun sweeping than Extremekiller Arceus. Replace Groudon with something else and Forretress with a standard Ferrothorn. You could also have a phazer(whirlwind/roar user) to rack up that Stealth Rock/Spike damage before ExtremeArceus wrecks everything.

As someone mentioned before, this team is Kyogre bait. Everything but Mewtwo and maybe Blissey is wrecked by it. Giratina-O is a good replacement for Mewtwo.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)