Arceus-Psychic [GP 0/2]

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.

Arc-psy still checks Mewtwo without Payback
then you lose to Stalltwo or even normal Mewtwos, to be honest, as you will get Taunted if you don't Magic Coat (and if you're running Magic Coat you aren't Defogging) and then all you can do is Judgment.

How about this: I will split the first set into 2 sets, Mewtwo Utility Check (what Melee Mewtwo / Blue Jay want) and Mewtwo COUNTER (what shrang / Hack He Must want). this way we get the best of both, and the reader can pick whether he/she wants a good Mewtwo check or a hard Mewtwo counter, and if all of a sudden things change, or opinions change, we can easily delete/archive whichever set has fallen out of favour. I think this is the best option as it means i can write this up and it can be changed later, no?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Arc-psy still checks Mewtwo without Payback and has a move that is just far more useful in general. Payback only gives it a shot at beating the odd Sball Mewtwo which still beats you if it calls the switch. It's really lame, imo, to eat up your arc slot for some dedicated and generally useless Mewtwo counter when arc psy can do plenty other things for the team and still make sure Mewtwo doesn't rape your team.
You lose to any variant with Taunt without Payback (which are like a lot of them).

Wasn't that the point of Magic Coat? Why are we talking about Defog when it's wisp that Payback is currently slashed over?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh right, Psychicceus that doesn't run Magic Coat gets beaten by Taunt and WoW wielding Mewtwos, while Payback beats Calm Mind variants

PISTOLERO

nanananana it's written up

Melee Mewtwo it's ready to be scrutinised, there's a lot of Gengar hatred in there and the formatting is off cause i did it in Word on the train, but it's done. I have written up 3 sets:

set 1 being mewtwo utility check i.e. checks mewtwo and also does support arceus tasks

set 2 being full mewtwo counter i.e. cockbloocks all mewtwo completely

set 3 being calm mind

:]]]]]]]]] it's finished YAAAAAAY

PISTOLERO

fix up the spacing and wtf is with slots 2 and 3 being like the exact same, that just looks dumb
Lile I said I cped it raw from word, and if you read all the qc feedback and take into account all the irc/ps conversations, you would have realised that slots two and three need a final decision cause all three moves are useful on arceus psychic and its not a straightforward arc forme in that you cant slap wow and defog on it a la arceus water

Last edited:
fix the slashitis, leave wisp unslashed and just have mcoat slashed with defog in the third slot

shrang

General Kenobi
Uuuuuuuh, this looks so messy. Why do we have an analysis which has one set that goes "Mewtwo Utility Counter" and the next one that essentially says "This Mewtwo counter set is even better"? I understand that we don't want to get rid of the first set and I really cbf arguing about keeping/removing it (personally I think we should just get rid of it, but I get Melee and the others want to keep it), but can we at least change the title of the first set so it's not like you're trying to sell it as a Mewtwo counter? Just call it "Utility Counter" or "Support" or something more generic so it doesn't look like you're trying to sell this Mewtwo counter that can't actually counter everything Mewtwo can do and then offering a solution that actually can afterwards.

Give the first set 176 Spe so it can outspeed Gengar pre-Mega evo. Psychicceus is one of those forms that can actually kill Gengar before it gets annoying, soooo, yea. (Unless Gengarite gets banned in the next couple of days... which is quite possible obv)

Oh yeah, just a reminder that the first set should have WoW and Magic Coat on first slashed on two moveslots so the preferred set is Judgement/WoW/Magic Coat/Recover

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The 2nd Arceus set that hard counters all Mewtwos provides little to no utility, while the 1st set offers traditional Arceus support while still being a decent switch-in to Mewtwo. The 1st set seems like it's trying to be a Fairy Arceus that still wants to check Mewtwo and Deoxys-A, except it still loses to CM Two (both variants) and takes enough from Fire Blast that mispredicting against Taunt when trying to Recover can cost you your Psychic-Arceus. Psychic-Ceus still handily stops Mega Mewtwo-X, but Fairy-Ceus also checks MM2X and can do a shitton with super effective Judgement, as opposed to Psychic-Ceus's neutral one. I feel like if I'm going to even bother with Psychic-Ceus to counter Mewtwos, it should at least do so consistently; otherwise other Arceus seem much more worthwhile.

Last edited:

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey PISTOLERO, this is an amcheck. :)

remove
add
comments

I've not only included my own comments in green, but I've also made your comments green as well.

Overall, this is a pretty solid analysis. Just some general things to note for the future:

When referring to types, use "Dark-types" rather than "Dark Types" or "Dark-Types." There is a hyphen and the 'T' in "types" is not capitalized.

Under the first paragraph of the first Set Details, you list certain benchmarks for Speed and explain what they do, yet they aren't in the set, and you don't explain what the EVs in the set do. It's the same problem when you say things about 164 Defense EVs when the unexplained 84 Defense EVs are what's listed in the set.

Under the second paragraph of the first Set Details, there is a clarity issue when you say you could run various options, one of them being Magic Coat + Defog. However, those two moves are slashed under the same moveslot, so you couldn't use them together on the set.

I made some subjective changes, so keep what you personally like. :) The subjective ones I made were just to my personal preference.

I also like the passionate hatred towards Mega Gengar. ;)

You also c/p'ed a big chunk, and while I get that the usage/set details are essentially the same, I would suggest changing it up a bit to make the different sets seem more different, as I'm sure they're not played exactly the same.

Overview
########
(add a space here for legibility)
Even though all formes of Arceus have great stats and movepools, Arceus-Psychic seems at first to suffer from a poor defensive and offensive typing at first glance. Its weaknesses to Dark, Ghost and, to a lesser extent, Bug cause it several issues, with the new arrival Yveltal in particular causing Arceus-Psychic many problems. Other tier members Pokemon such as Arceus-Ghost and Darkrai are still huge threats and tend to be able to walk all over Arceus-Psychic as well. Arceus-Psychic also suffers from 4MSS four-moveslot syndrome to quite a degree, due to because it wantings to be able to adequately deal with all Mewtwo formes but also provide typical Arceus's utility to its team. (space) However, Arceus-Psychic has several positive traits that help it distinguish itself amongst its fellow formes, and grant it three very appreciable niches, and a third nice niche especially the third one. Most importantly of all, Arceus-Psychic is the only Pokemon in the entire game that is able to efficiently deal with all Mewtwo formes, be it the X Mega, Y Mega, Mega Mewtwo X/Y, Classic Mewtwo, Stalltwo or Stalltwo X/Y (not sure how relevant mega stalltwo is, i know that Hack hates stalltwo X and thinks it's garbage <-- just made this a comment), being able to come in on any move from Mewtwo first turn, even without knowing the Mega Evolution, and be safe the next turn, (remove comma) due to its oft maligned oft-maligned (there is a hyphen) Psychic typing giving it a resistance to both Psystrike and Low Kick. Deoxys-Attack is also countered by Arceus-Psychic also counters Deoxys-Attack (passive voice -> active voice), with the only move even slightly threatening a 2HKO being max Special Attack Life Orb Dark Pulse, with whereas the more common Sash variants cannot even threaten a 3HKO with Knock Off, due to its power not being boosted. The final niche Arceus-Psychic has is STAB Psyshock, allowing it to run use a competent Calm Mind set that can break other Calm Mind Arceus, as well as giving it an easier time against Ho-Oh and Blissey.

1. Utility Check
########
name: Mewtwo Utility Check
move 1: Judgment
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Magic Coat / Defog
move 4: Recover
item: Mind Plate
evs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Judgment is used as STAB, allowing for fair neutral damage, which is increased thanks to the Mind Plate boost, and more importantly allows Arceus-Psychic to 2HKO Mega Mewtwo X. Will-O-Wisp is used to burn physical attackers, meaning that Arceus-Psychic can check things such as Zekrom, Arceus-Normal and Groudon. Magic Coat bounces back status, hazards and Taunt, protecting Arceus-Psychic and its team from all three. Defog can be useful on any Arceus forme, and Arceus-Psychic is no exception. Lastly, Recover is to keep Arceus-Psychic at high health so that it can repeatedly come in on Mewtwo and Deoxys-Attack.

Set Details
========

This Arceus-Psychic variant focuses less on completely countering all Mewtwo variants in order to provide more Arceus-esque team support, whilst still competently checking Mewtwo, as well as Deoxys-Attack and other tier members Pokemon. 96 Speed EVs and a Timid nature allow Arceus-Psychic to outspeed Palkia, a good benchmark for support Arceus to hit, whilst max HP investment and 164 Defense EVs (neither of these Speed benchmarks are listed in the set, and you don't explain what the EVs in the set do.) allow Arceus to sponge Psystrikes and Low Kicks in particular from Mewtwo formes in particular, as well as better taking on Arceus-Normal; for example, Arceus-Psychic can survive a +2 Life Orb Shadow Claw after Stealth Rock and burn it. Will-O-Wisp is very helpful to spread residual damage, and ruins things that Arceus-Psychic can otherwise have a hard time against; Choice Scarf Genesect is ruined if it switches into Will-O-Wisp, as is Scizor or its Mega Evolution; Yveltal intensely dislikes Will-O-Wisp due to the huge residual damage alongside Life Orb and Stealth Rock, and also has its Sucker Punch and Foul Play crippled; it also ruins a plethora of other Pokemon, such as Groudon, Landorus-Therian, Zekrom and Mega Mewtwo X. Judgment allows Arceus-Psychic to 2HKO Mega Mewtwo X with a little prior damage, and has a higher than 80% chance to OHKO neutral-natured Deoxys-Attack (rofl), deals fair damage to neutral targets such as Palkia and Zekrom, and can also hit opponents such as Arceus-Poison, Terrakion and Amoonguss supereffectively super effectively (there's a space), however (subjective change, keep it if you like) rare as they are. Magic Coat is useful for bouncing back hazards from the likes of Deoxys-Speed and Klefki, as well as shielding Arceus-Psychic from Toxic and other status effects, and Taunt from Mewtwo, (allowing it to beat Mewtwo with Will-O-Wisp if played well). Defog is also a standard move on many support Arceus formes, and Arceus-Psychic can use it competently. However, bear in mind that using Defog can allow dangerous opposing Pokemon to switch in for free. Lastly, Recover helps keep Arceus-Psychic at a high amount of HP, and means that allowing it can to do its job better.

The choice between the three moves (??? There's only one move slashed: Magic Coat / Defog) slashed depends on the team structure; generally, Will-O-Wisp is the best choice alongside Magic Coat or Defog. However, but each combination of moves has its own advantages. Will-O-Wisp + Defog allows Arceus-Psychic to take on a more traditional support Arceus role, burning opposing threats and clearing hazards. Will-O-Wisp + Magic Coat works best against Mewtwo, beating all variants with good prediction, whilst also retaining the ability to check physical attackers and spread burns. Finally, Magic Coat + Defog, whilst generally not as useful as the other two combinations, allows for an interesting situation - because a common way of stopping Defog Arceus from clearing hazards is through Taunt, be it from Prankster users or Mewtwo, and or by using Magic Coat at the right time, it is possible for Arceus-Psychic to can (concision) Defog away hazards at crucial points during a match thanks to its ability to ambush Taunt users with Magic Coat. (think about something like this: For example, an opposing Gothitelle can Taunt support its teammates Arceus with Taunt to stop them hinder you from dDefogging away Sticky Web, but gets ambushed by. Arceus-Psychic can ambush the opposing Gothitelle and Defog away hazards after Gothitelle's Taunt support has been removed, no more thereby eliminating Sticky Web, and allowing you to beat the opponent's slower team more easily RIP Gothitelle’s slowass team). (Tell me if I did a good job wording that off of your example.)

Usage Tips
========

This variant of Arceus-Psychic should still be switched into Mewtwo liberally, even before it has been revealed what kind of Mewtwo it is, due to its ability to as it can take on all Mewtwo formes and variants three formes and any variant of the three reasonably well, provided it does not get Taunted on the switch in. It can easily eat up Psystrikes, Fire Blasts, Ice Beams, Low Kicks, (Oxford Comma) and other moves, and can threaten to bounce back Mewtwo’s Taunt and/or burn it, or straight out attack it if it is Mega Mewtwo X. If it is revealed that the Mewtwo is a Stalltwo variant, however, it is recommended to be careful not to switch in Arceus-Psychic on a Taunt or a Will-O-Wisp, due to it either no longer being able to being blocked from using Recover, and bounceing back Will-O-Wisp or Taunt, or have it take a lot of residual damage each turn, hampering its walling ability.

Arceus-Psychic should also be switched into Deoxys-Attack (and, as mentioned, can even antilead it), due to its ability to sponge even Life Orb Psycho Boost easily, as well as not being threatened by a 2HKO from any other move Deoxys-Attack carries; - only 252 Atk Life Orb Knock Off and 252 SpAtk Life Orb Dark Pulse have a chance of 2HKOing, and require suboptimal moveslots and/or EV spreads anyway - Deoxys-Attack is easily OHKOed by Judgment if it is running a Naive nature, and is OHKOed > more than 80% of the time if it is Hasty anyway.

Use Magic Coat smartly. and Ddon't spam Magic Coat it all the time as it gives the opponent free switches however. Using it to ambush Klefki, Toxic Palkia, Stealth Rock Groudon, and Taunt Mewtwo (who will almost certainly try to Taunt to stop you from statusing it) means that Arceus can protect itself from status and keep hazards away. Using it at the correct time is also important, as revealing it early on can lead to the opponent being more careful with their Klefki/Toxic spreading/etc. The same goes for Defog - sometimes it is better to throw out a Will-O-Wisp to cripple something such as Choice Scarf Genesect that switches in expecting a Will-O-Wisp Defog (hehe). Using Recover at the right time is also a good plan. Interestingly, with a combination of Magic Coat and Will-O-Wisp / Defog (how does this work if Defog is slashed with Magic Coat on the set?), a well-played Arceus-Psychic can actually stop Dialga from setting up Stealth Rock due to Magic Coat protecting it from Dialga’s Toxic. However, bear in mind that Arceus-Psychic has to watch out for Toxic on the switch in, as well as for Stealth Rock already being set up before / as it comes in / as it comes in.

Due to the full HP investment, Arceus-Psychic also does reasonably well against Mega Blaziken due to because it resistings Low Kick, and can therefore being able to easily switch in on it and easily OHKO Mega Blaziken with Judgment, with Knock Off not receiving a boost due to the Mind Plate being unremovable irremovable. If Mega Blaziken uses Swords Dance on the switchin switch in, it can prove problematic, but if you are also using Kyogre, it is possible to switch around smartly so that Arceus-Psychic can easily take on even +2 Mega Blaziken thanks to the rain (e.g. For example, Kyogre comes in on Flare Blitz, and sets up rain, then Arceus-Psychic comes in on Low Kick). However, Tthis is not a foolproof method of dealing with Mega Blaziken, however. (The movement of "however" is, of course, subjective, but I think the tone is better while preserving your meaning.) This variant of Arceus-Psychic is also more reliable than the specially defensive set due to the 164 Defense EVs (Once again, ??? The set lists 84 Defense EVs.), helping it to better take Flare Blitz better.

Lastly, it is best not to be too obvious with Arceus-Psychic when using it, as it is not too hard to predict its switch in and send in Yveltal, Arceus-Ghost or Darkrai to scare it away and gain free turns; as mentioned, throwing out a Will-O-Wisp to catch these Pokemon on the switch in is not a bad play. It is also interesting to note that Mega Gengar cannot really trap Arceus-Psychic safely due to it being OHKOed by Judgment on the switch in, and can have its Taunt Magic Coated bounced back at it by Magic Coat. ("Magic Coated" sounds weird.)

Some (add a space) things of note are that it is reasonably hard for physical attackers to set up on Arceus-Psychic; Will-O-Wisp cripples Swords Dance Arceus and Groudon, whilst Mega Blaziken, who is immune to burn and can therefore set up Swords Dance on several support Arceus, is promptly OHKOed by Judgment.

Team Options
========

Xerneas takes care of Dark Types Dark-types such as Darkrai and Yveltal with a specially defensive spread, and can use Aromatherapy to cure itself and Arceus-Psychic of any status. Sylveon can also work too, as can Clefable - Clefable gets a special mention for being able to wall certain things Pokemon that try to set up on Arceus-Psychic, such as Calm Mind Arceus formes; however, Clefable tends to be better with a physically defensive spread and therefore cannot take Oblivion Wings and Sludge Bombs as well as specially defensive Sylveon and Xerneas can. Sylveon gets bonus points for being able to wreck Darkrai with Hyper Voice even if it uses Substitutes on Arceus-Psychic, whilst Xerneas can absorb Dark Void if it is running a Rest/Sleep Talk cleric set - the two can take even a +2 Life Orb Sludge Bomb whilst easily OHKOing back with a Fairy move, although Bad Dreams + and Stealth Rock means that Xerneas can fall to it.

Ho-Oh can switches in on opposing Calm Mind Arceus that can try and take advantage of Arceus-Psychic, and can also eat up hits from Yveltal and Darkrai easily with ease. It helps that this variant of Arceus-Psychic can viably run Defog, making Ho-Oh’s life a lot easier. Ho-Oh can also take on any kind of Genesect, devouring U-Turns, Bug Buzzes, Iron Heads, (Oxford comma) and Ice Beams, and all while asking Genesect FOR MOAR for more (I really like this sentence :), with Genesect having to blow itself up to threaten Ho-Oh at all (a point of interest is that Genesect will receive the Special Attack boost from Download due to Arceus-Psychic’s defensive spread, so U-Turn U-turn will not be boosted). It also frightens Scizor to death, although bear in mind that switching in on U-TurnU-turns from either hands the initiative to the opponent, as well as Scizor sometimes carrying Toxic especially for Ho-Oh (although the aforementioned Fairies can deal with this).

Dark Types Dark-types of your own are also useful, as Lugia has the potential to be irritating (you can Magic Coat bounce back its Toxic and Whirlwind with Magic Coatback however), and if Arceus-Psychic goes down before the opponent’s Mewtwo does, you may have a backup check to them, with Yveltal in particular being able to Sucker Punch Mewtwo. Darkrai and Yveltal can deal with Arceus-Ghost too, which can cause Arceus-Psychic huge problems, and also especially by threatensing to set up on it. They also deal with Gothitelle nicely, which can otherwise trap Arceus-Psychic and set up on it with Calm Mind and Trick Room.

2. All-encompassing Mewtwo Counter
########
name: All-encompassing Mewtwo Counter
move 2: Payback
move 3: Magic Coat
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Sassy

Moves
========

Judgment is used as STAB, allowing for fair neutral damage which is increased thanks to the Mind Plate boost, and more importantly allows Arceus-Psychic to 2HKO Mega Mewtwo X. Payback is used to 2HKO all Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwo Y, and also allows for a guaranteed OHKO against Deoxys-Attack, which can just barely live a Judgment if not running a Naive or Rash nature. Magic Coat allows Arceus-Psychic to reflect back status moves, most importantly Taunt from Mewtwo - Iit allows Arceus-Psychic to beat all variants of Stalltwo as it protects Arceus from Taunt and from Will-O-Wisp, and means that Payback’s power is not cut in half halved by a burn. Lastly, Recover is to keep Arceus-Psychic at high health so that it can repeatedly come in on Mewtwo and Deoxys-Attack.

Set Details
========

A Sassy nature with full Special Defense investment allows Arceus-Psychic to counter any variant and forme of Mewtwo completely, whilst not reducing the power of Payback or Judgment. Not eEven Mega Mewtwo Y’s 252 Special Attack Shadow Ball, which is already a very rare and inferior suboptimal (subjective change) move on Mewtwo, can only 23HKO after Stealth Rock Arceus-Psychic (I think, have to check this: 252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Arceus-Psychic: 150-178 (33.8 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO <--- damn the power is real. Stealth Rocks don't even matter. Even Modest (which I'm pretty sure is garbage) only has a 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock.). Judgment deals with Mega Mewtwo X, coming very close having a very small chance to a 2HKO on a neutrally natured one, whilst Mega Mewtwo X can't do much back, and also does solid neutral damage to other tier members neutral to it Pokemon, such as 3HKOing Palkia without Leftovers - dDue to theits Special Defense investment, Arceus-Psychic can act as a decent check to offensive Palkia - bear in mind that Palkia will be faster, however, and can carry status. Payback is useful for Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwo Y, 2HKOing both of them as long as Arceus-Psychic isn’t burned, and also guaranteeds an OHKO on Deoxys-Atttack. Magic Coat is useful for bouncing back hazards from the likes of Deoxys-Speed and Klefki, as well as shielding Arceus-Psychic from Toxic and other status effects, and Taunt from Mewtwo. Lastly, Recover helps keep Arceus-Psychic at a high amount of HP, and means that allowing it can to do its job better. An alternative spread is 252 HP / 240 SpDef / 16 Spe and a Careful nature, with Zen Headbutt over Judgment, so that Arceus-Psychic can outspeed neutral Speed base 90s - however, Zen Headbutt cannot 2HKO Mega Mewtwo X and does less damage than Judgment on average (although Kia takes more from Zen Headbutt I think). Other interesting options are Roar, which along with the full Special Defense and HP investment allow it to survive a Moonblast from Geomancy Xerneas after Stealth Rock damage and phaze it away, as well as phazing away anything that tries to set up on Arceus-Psychic. Extremespeed Extreme Speed can also find a place to finish off certain threats and help in anti-leading Deoxys-Speed and Deoxys-Attack ( by first hitting them with Payback first, then Extremespeeding using Extreme Speed on them, whilst also being able to bounce back Stealth Rock or Taunt with Magic Coat); however, Extremespeed Extreme Speed is very weak without STAB or investment, and takes up a valuable moveslot.

Usage Tips
========

Arceus-Psychic should be switched into Mewtwo liberally, even before it has been revealed what kind of Mewtwo it is, due to its ability to as it can take on all Mewtwo formes and variants three formes and any variant of the three. Its ability to easily sponge Psystrikes, Fire Blasts, Ice Beams, Low Kicks, (Oxford Comma) and other moves helps it immensely, and it can immediately threaten Mewtwo with its own moves. If it is revealed that the Mewtwo is a Stalltwo variant, however, it is recommended to be careful not to switch in Arceus-Psychic on a Taunt or a Will-O-Wisp, as it will no longer be able to Magic Coat bounce back a Will-O-Wisp back with Magic Coat or use Recover if Taunted, whilst if it is burned, its Payback will be crippled and turn from a 2HKO to a 4HKO against Mewtwo, as well as taking large residual damage each turn.

Arceus-Psychic should also be switched into Deoxys-Attack (and, as mentioned, can even anti-lead it), due to its ability to sponge even Life Orb Psycho Boost easily, as well as not being threatened by a 2HKO from any other move Deoxys-Attack carries; - only 252 Atk Life Orb Knock Off and 252 SpAtk Life Orb Dark Pulse have a chance of 2HKOing (and require suboptimal moveslots and/or EV spreads anyway); - Deoxys-Attack is easily OHKOed by Payback or even by Judgment if it is running a standard Naive nature, which is the standard.

Use Magic Coat smartly. and Ddon't spam Magic Coat it all the time as it gives the opponent free switches however. Using it to ambush Klefki, Toxic Palkia, Stealth Rock Groudon, and Taunt Mewtwo (who will almost certainly try to Taunt to stop you from statusing it) means that Arceus can protect itself from status and keep hazards away. Using it at the correct time is also important, as revealing it early on can lead to the opponent being more careful with their Klefki/Toxic spreading/etc.

Due to the full HP investment, Arceus-Psychic also does reasonably well against Mega Blaziken due to because it resistings Low Kick, and can therefore being able to easily switch in on it and easily OHKO Mega Blaziken with Judgment, with Knock Off not receiving a boost due to the Mind Plate being unremovable irremovable. If Mega Blaziken uses Swords Dance on the switchin switch-in, it can prove problematic, but if you are also using Kyogre, it is possible to switch around smartly so that Arceus-Psychic can easily take on even +2 Mega Blaziken thanks to the rain (e.g. For example, Kyogre comes in on Flare Blitz, and sets up rain, then Arceus-Psychic comes in on Low Kick). However, Tthis is not a foolproof method of dealing with Mega Blaziken, however.

Lastly, it is best not to be too obvious with Arceus-Psychic when using it, as it is not too hard to predict its switch in and send in Yveltal, Arceus-Ghost or Darkrai to scare it away and gain free turns. It is also interesting to note that Mega Gengar cannot really trap Arceus-Psychic safely due to it being severely damaged or OHKOed by Judgment on the switch in.

Team Options
========

Xerneas takes care of Dark Types Dark-types such as Darkrai and Yveltal with a specially defensive spread, and can use Aromatherapy to cure itself and Arceus-Psychic of any status. Sylveon can also work too, as can Clefable - Clefable gets a special mention for being able to wall certain things Pokemon that try to set up on Arceus-Psychic, such as Calm Mind Arceus formes; however, Clefable tends to be better with a physically defensive spread and therefore cannot take Oblivion Wings and Sludge Bombs as well as specially defensive Sylveon and Xerneas can. Sylveon gets bonus points for being able to wreck Darkrai with Hyper Voice even if it uses Substitutes on Arceus-Psychic, whilst Xerneas can absorb Dark Void if it is running a Rest/Sleep Talk cleric set - the two can take even a +2 Life Orb Sludge Bomb whilst easily OHKOing back with a Fairy move, although Bad Dreams + and Stealth Rock means that Xerneas can fall to it.

Ho-Oh can switches in on opposing Calm Mind Arceus that can try and take advantage of Arceus-Psychic, and can also eat up hits from Yveltal and Darkrai easily with ease. It helps that this variant of Arceus-Psychic can viably run Defog, making Ho-Oh’s life a lot easier. Ho-Oh can also take on any kind of Genesect, devouring U-Turns, Bug Buzzes, Iron Heads, (Oxford comma) and Ice Beams, and all while asking Genesect FOR MOAR for more (I really like this sentence :), with Genesect having to blow itself up to threaten Ho-Oh at all (a point of interest is that Genesect will receive the Special Attack boost from Download due to Arceus-Psychic’s defensive spread, so U-Turn U-turn will not be boosted). It also frightens Scizor to death, although bear in mind that switching in on U-TurnU-turns from either hands the initiative to the opponent, as well as Scizor sometimes carrying Toxic especially for Ho-Oh (although the aforementioned Fairies can deal with this).

Dark Types Dark-types of your own are also useful, as Lugia has the potential to be irritating (you can Magic Coat bounce back its Toxic and Whirlwind with Magic Coatback however), and if Arceus-Psychic goes down before the opponent’s Mewtwo does, you may have a backup check to them, with Yveltal in particular being able to Sucker Punch Mewtwo. Darkrai and Yveltal can deal with Arceus-Ghost too, which can cause Arceus-Psychic huge problems, and also especially by threatensing to set up on it. They also deal with Gothitelle nicely, which can otherwise trap Arceus-Psychic and set up on it with Calm Mind and Trick Room.

(You've just c/p'ed everything from Usage Tips to here, and that makes it kinda bland. I suggest changing certain things up.)

3. Calm Mind
########
name: Arceus-Psychic the Calm Mind King
move 1: Psyshock
move 2: Thunder / Fire Blast / Focus Blast
move 3: Calm Mind

Moves
========

Psyshock is STAB and hits the opponent in based on their Defense stat, giving Arceus-Psychic a strong move to use against its opponents. and Tthe coverage move is up to peronal preference and team structure, with each move hitting a different target. Calm Mind allows Arceus-Psychic to set up, whilst and (whlist/while implies that you have a choice; you have Calm Mind and Recover on different moveslots.) Recover keeps it at high HP.

Set Details
========

STAB Psyshock is what gives Arceus-Psychic its niche as a Calm Mind user. It allows Him to do things that other Arceus can't, such as, allowing it to beating other CM Arceus by preying on their unboosted Defense. It also allows Him Arceus-Psychic (I mean, I guess Arceus is a god...) to get past Ho-Oh by hitting the turkey bird phoenix (LOL I LOVE THIS PHRASE even though Ho-oh is based off of a phoenix, not a turkey) in her its (Ho-oh is genderless.) weaker Defense. Usefully, Psyshock also allows Arceus-Psychic to beat Gothitelle, as at +1, Psyshock 3HKOes Gothitelle, meaning that she can't use Taunt, and set up Calm Mind, and Rest (sorry Melee Mewtwo).

Choose your the appopriate coverage move as appropriate. Thunder gives the best neutral coverage, and hits Yveltal, Lugia and Kyogre. Focus Blast is the only move that lets you take on Tyranitar, and hits Steel-Ttypes. Fire Blast hits Steel-Ttypes too, murdering Scizor and Genesect (although Genesect might just U-Tturn out, and needs to be caught on the switch in if Choice Scarfed).

Alternative EV spreads are max Speed to tie with other Arceus that run the same, and moving Defense and maybe HP investment into Special Attack so that Arceus-Psychic hits harder. 176 Speed allows Arceus-Psychic to outspeed and easily OHKO unevolved Mega Gengar before it has Mega-Evolved, even with an unboosted Judgement even at +0, (How would Arceus-Psychic boost its speed with this set? I know you mean SpA, but the wording makes it sound a bit unclear.) meaning that it Mega Gengar cannot use Destiny Bond and take Arceus-Psychic down with it. (away like the cheap piece of shit that it is, i don’t think i’ll have time to play the suspect but please get this piece of shit out of here. <-- lol ikr)

Usage Tips
========

Use this set like you would use any other Calm Mind Arceus. Wait until its checks are gone then set up and sweep late-game. Watch out for Toxic in particular, as it ruins all Calm Mind Arceus without Refresh, and Arceus-Psychic can't use Refresh due to because it needings coverage. However, burn is not the worst status as it protects you from Toxic, paralysis and Darkrai’s Dark Void. Using coverage moves to complement the rest of Arceus-Psychic’s teammembers teammates is recommended, e.g. for example, Iit is kind of pointless to use Fire Blast for opposing Scizor / Genesect if Ho-Oh is on your team, and Focus Blast is kindof pointless if you have something like Groudon to destroy opposing Tyranitar with / or Xerneas to destroy opposing Arceus-Dark with / etc.

Team Options
========

Mega Gengar can bring Dark-types down with it by using Destiny Bond away Dark Types if it has to, as well as trapping other annoying Pokemon, and can be an annoyingass stupid bitch threat in general. (lol i love the passionate hatred towards Mega Gengar) Ho-Oh checks the Calm Mind Arceus sets that Psychic Arceus loses to beat Arceus-Psychic (passive voice --> active voice), such as Arceus-Ghost and Arceus-Dark. The issue here is that Unfortunately, this Arceus-Psychic variant can't provide Defog support, so Rapid Spin users are probably your best bet, as otherwise Ho-Oh will fall. (need a space here) Xerneas or another Fairy-Ttype would work well to check Dark-Ttypes and provide cleric support. Heatran works nicely against Genesect and Scizor if you don't want to run Fire Blast or use Ho-Oh. Ground-Types Ground-types deal with Tyranitar if you leave Focus Blast at home, and can set up Stealth Rocks to help break Lugia.

Other Options
########

Toxic may be good on everything many Pokemon, but on Arceus-Psychic it means that Steel-Ttypes cause (added a space here) even more problems. Thunder Wave can cripple Yveltal and Darkrai, Darkrai in particular, whilst also deterring setup from things Pokemon such as Geomancy Xerneas. Dark Pulse, or Surf, on Calm Mind (or Thunderbolt if you aren't a real man who runs don't want to risk the lower accuracy of Thunder) can also be used. (needed a space here) Perish Song and Roar are nice moves, and Perish Song in particular helps against last-man-standing opponents such as Calm Mind Resttalk + RestTalk Xerneas or Mono Calm Mind Arceus, making it a great tool for stall, an archetype playstyle that doesn’t appreciate the triple threat that the various Mewtwo formes and variants can pose. It is probably best to run Perish Song with full speed investment so that Arceus-Psychic has the best chance of using Perish Singing Song against said opposing Calm Mind Arceus. Extremespeed Extreme Speed + Payback + Magic Coat ruins Deoxys leads. Psyshock can be used over Judgment to deal fair damage to Ho-Oh, as well as dealing consistent supereffective super effective damage to Arceus-Poison, but sadly does not 2HKO Mega Mewtwo X. Punishment stops Arceus-Ghost, Gothitelle and Mega Mewtwo Y from setting up with Calm Mind, but is very specialised specialized and is extremely weak when unboosted, (it does not 2HKO Mega Mewtwo Y or even 3HKO normal Mewtwo) as well as having very low PP.

Checks & Counters
########

**Yveltal**: Yveltal is probably the most threatening tier member to Pokemon for Arceus-Psychic, as it can come in on Psychic-type moves, Payback, Defog, (Oxford Comma) and Magic Coat for free, and threatens Arceus-Psychic immensely with Dark Pulse, whilst also being able to Sucker Punch boosted Calm Mind variants. It does not appreciate Will-O-Wisp on the switch in, however, and falls loses to a boosted Thunder from a well-played Arceus-Psychic.

**Darkrai**: Darkrai Ooutspeeds Arceus-Psychic, and is a triple threat (huehuehue who gets the basketball reference), being able to use Dark Pulse Arceus-Psychic, Dark Void it orn the switch in, or even set up Nasty Plot/even Substitute Nasty Plot / Substitute as Arceus-Psychic runs away. It can also check the Calm Mind set competently, only really fearing Focus Blast on the switch in. However, Arceus-Psychic can be a man and Magic Coat bounce back Dark Void with Magic Coat back, however.

**Arceus-Ghost**: Arceus-Ghost threatens to set up with Calm Mind or Swords Dance, or simply beat up on Arceus-Psychic with Judgment. However, it can be burned by Will-O-Wisp, making it risky to set up Swords Dance, whilst Calm Mind variants can lose to Calm Mind Arceus-Psychic variants that have more boosts due to because Psyshock hittings Arceus-Ghost in based on its unboosted Defense.

**Blissey**: Blissey eats up everything support Arceus-Psychic can do whilst threatening it with Toxic, and does not particularly care about having its Toxic reflected bounced back due to Natural Cure and Heal Bell. Boosted Psyshocks from Calm Mind Arceus-Psychic can severely hurt her though Blissey.

**Steel-Ttypes**: They resist Judgment and Psyshock and Genesect and Scizor can U-Turn off of it (Genesect and Scizor), whereas support Dialga can set up and status it (support Dialga), and Aegislash can or status it/ or hit it with Shadow Ball (Aegislash). However, Genesect, Scizor and Aegislash are all ruined by Will-O-Wisp, and Dialga doesn’t particularly appreciate it either.

**Ho-Oh**: Ho-oh comes in on anything the support sets have and threatens burns and / or and/or heavy damage with Sacred Fire or Brave Bird. It does not, however, do too well against Calm Mind Arceus-Psychic, due to Psyshock hitting it in based off of its relatively low Defense, meaning that unlike other Calm Mind Arceus (Dark, Ghost, Steel, Poison), Arceus-Psychic actually has a much easier time getting through Ho-Oh.

**Lugia**: It Hhard walls the Calm Mind set unless Multiscale is broken and it is Arceus-Psychic hits by it with +2 Thunder, and can poison Calm Mind Arceus-Psychic and / or and/or Whirlwind it away. It can Dragon Tail away support Arceus-Psychic, and can also poison it / Whirlwind it away if it isn’t caught bounced back by Magic Coat.

**Shadow Tag**: Mega Gengar cannot come in safely due to because Judgment OHKOes it, but it can outspeed Support Arceus-Psychic and deal heavy damage with Shadow Ball. It can also be stupendously gay (lol) and Destiny Bond take Calm Mind variants down with it by using Destiny Bond away, but loses if it is not mega evolved has not Mega-Evolved. Gothitelle can trap support Arceus-Psychic and set up Calm Mind, but cannot 2HKO Arceus-Psychic at +6, and loses to Calm Mind Arceus-Psychic due to because it is being slower and getting can be hit in based off of its unboosted Defense by Arceus-Psychic’s boosted Psyshocks, whilst also not being able to Taunt reliably due to Magic Coat, and also loses to the rare Punishment.

**Status**: Toxic ruins Arceus-Psychic’s walling ability and comes from every direction this generation in XY Ubers. Will-O-Wisp is also thrown around by support Arceus sets and ruins Payback’s damage output if you are running it, as well as stacking nasty residual damage. Thunder Wave ruins Arceus-Psychic’s great speed and leaves it open to slower threats such as Yveltal’s Dark Pulse.

Last edited:
hi friend, amcheck :]
Add Remove (Comments)

Overview
########
Even though all formes of Arceus have great stats and movepool, Arceus-Psychic seems at first to suffer from a poor defensive and offensive typing. Its weaknesses to Dark, Ghost and to a lesser extent Bug cause it several issues, with new arrival Yveltal in particular causing Arceus-Psychic many problems. Other tier members such as Arceus-Ghost and Darkrai are still huge threats and tend to be able to walk all over Arceus-Psychic as well. Arceus-Psychic also suffers from 4MSS to quite a degree, due to it wanting to be able to adequately deal with all Mewtwo formes but also provide typical Arceus utility to its team. (add space)However, Arceus-Psychic has several positive traits that help it distinguish itself amongst its fellow formes, and grant it three very appreciable niches and a third nice niche. Most importantly of all, Arceus-Psychic is the only Pokemon in the entire game that is able to efficiently deal with all Mewtwo formes, be it the Mega Mewtwo X Mega, Mega Mewtwo Y Mega, Classic Mewtwo, or Stalltwo or Stalltwo X/Y (not sure how relevant mega stalltwo is, i know that Hack hates stalltwo X and thinks it's garbage),.(replace comma with period) It is being able to come in on any move from Mewtwo first turn, even without knowing the Mega Evolution, and be safe the next turn, due to its oft-(add hyphen)maligned Psychic typing,(add comma) giving it a resistance to both Psystrike and Low Kick. Deoxys-Attack is also countered by Arceus-Psychic, with the only move even slightly threatening a 2HKO being max Special Attack Life Orb Dark Pulse, withhile the more common Sash variants cannot even threaten a 3HKO with Knock Off, due to its power not being boosted. The final niche Arceus-Psychic has is STAB Psyshock, allowing it to run a competent Calm Mind set that can break other Calm Mind Arceus, as well as giving it an easier time against Ho-Oh and Blissey.

1. Utility Check
########
name: Mewtwo Utility Check
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Magic Coat / Defog

Moves
========

Judgment is used as STAB, allowing for fair neutral damage thanks to the Plate boost, and importantly allows Arceus-Psychic to 2HKO Mega Mewtwo X. Will-O-Wisp is used to burn physical attackers, meaning thatallowing Arceus-Psychic canto check thingsPokemon such as Zekrom, Arceus-Normal and Groudon. Magic Coat bounces status, hazards and Taunt, protecting Arceus-Psychic and its team from all three. Defog can be useful on any Arceus forme, and Arceus-Psychic is no exception. Lastly, Recover is to keep Arceus-Psychic at high health so that it can repeatedly come in on Mewtwo and Deoxys-Attack.

Set Details
========

This Arceus-Psychic variant focuses less on completely countering all Mewtwo variants in order to provide more Arceus-esque team support, whilst still competently checking Mewtwo, as well as Deoxys-Attack and other tier members. 96 Speed EVs and a Timid nature allow Arceus-Psychic to outspeed Palkia, a good benchmark for support Arceus to hit, whilst max HP investment and 164 Defense EVs allow Arceus to sponge Psystrikes and Low Kicks in particular from Mewtwo formes, as well as better taking on Arceus-Normal; for example, Arceus-Psychic can survive a +2 Life Orb Shadow Claw after Stealth Rock and burn it. Will-O-Wisp is very helpful to spread residual damage, and ruins thingscripples Pokemon that Arceus-Psychic can otherwise have a hard time against; Scarf Genesect is ruined if it switches intocrippled by Will-O-Wisp, as is Scizor orand its Mega Evolution;.(replace semicolon with period) Yveltal intensely dislikes Will-O-Wisp due to the huge residual damage alongside Life Orb and Stealth Rock, and also has its Sucker Punch and Foul Play crippled;.(replace semicolon with period) it also ruinscripples a plethora of other Pokemon, such as Groudon, Landorus-Therian, Zekrom,(add comma) and Mega Mewtwo X. Judgment allows Arceus-Psychic to 2HKO Mega Mewtwo X with a little prior damage, has a higher than 80% chance to OHKO neutral-natured Deoxys-Attack (rofl), deals fair damage to neutral targets such as Palkia and Zekrom, and can also hit opponents such as Arceus-Poison, Terrakion and Amoonguss supereffectively, rare as they are. Magic Coat is useful for bouncing back hazards from the likes of Deoxys-Speed and Klefki, as well as shielding Arceus-Psychic from Toxic and other status, and Taunt from Mewtwo (allowing it to beat Mewtwo with Will-O-Wisp if played well). Defog is also a standard move on many support Arceus, and Arceus-Psychic can use it competently. However, bear in mind that using Defog can allow dangerous opposing Pokemon to switch in for free. Lastly, Recover helps keep Arceus-Psychic at a high amount of HP and means that it can do its job better.(this part better fits in Moves, and a lot of it is already mentioned)

The choice between the three moves slashed depends on the team structure(there's only two moves slashed in slot 3); generally, Will-O-Wisp is the best choice alongside Magic Coat or Defog. However, each combination of moves has its own advantages. Will-O-Wisp + Defog allows Arceus-Psychic to take on a more traditional support Arceus role, burning opposing threats and clearing hazards. Will-O-Wisp + Magic Coat works best against Mewtwo, beating all variants with good prediction, whilst also retaining the ability to check physical attackers and spread burns. Finally, Magic Coat + Defog, whilst generally not as useful as the other two combinations, allows for an interesting situation - a common way of stopping Defog Arceus from clearing hazards is through Taunt, be it from Prankster users or Mewtwo, and by using Magic Coat at the right time, it is possible for Arceus-Psychic to Defog away hazards at crucial points during a match thanks to its ability to ambush Taunt users with Magic Coat (think about something like this: Gothitelle can Taunt support Arceus to stop them defogging away Sticky Web, but gets ambushed by Arceus-Psychic, no more Sticky Web, RIP Gothitelle’s slowass team).

Usage Tips
========

This variant of Arceus-Psychic should still be switched into Mewtwo liberallyfreely, even before it has been revealed what kind of Mewtwo it is, due to its ability to take on all three formes and any variant of the three reasonably well, provided it does not get Taunted on the switch (add space)in. It can easily eat uptank Psystrikes, Fire Blasts, Ice Beams, Low Kicks and other moves, and can threaten to bounce Mewtwo’s Taunt and/or burn it, or straight out attack it if it is Mega Mewtwo X. If it is revealed that the Mewtwo is a Stalltwo variant, however, it is recommended to be careful not to switch in Arceus-Psychic on a potential Taunt or a Will-O-Wisp, due to as it will not longer being able to Recover, bounce back Will-O-Wisp or Taunt, or have it will have to take a lot of residual damage each turn, hampering its walling ability.

Arceus-Psychic should also be switched into Deoxys-Attack (and, as mentioned, can even antilead it), due to its ability to sponge even Life Orb Psycho Boost easily, as well as not being threatened by a 2HKO from any other move Deoxys-Attack carries; (replace semicolon and space with em dash)only 252 Atk Life Orb Knock Off and 252 SpAtk Life Orb Dark Pulse have a chance of 2HKOing, and require suboptimal moveslots and/or EV spreads anyway;.(replace semicolon with period) Deoxys-Attack is easily OHKOed by Judgment if it is running Naive, and is OHKOed >over 80% of the time if it is Hasty anywayotherwise.

Use Magic Coat smartly. Don't spam Magic Coat all the time as it gives free switches however. Using it to ambush Klefki, Toxic Palkia, SR Groudon, and Taunt Mewtwo (who will almost certainly try to Taunt to stop you statusing it) means thatallows Arceus canto protect itself from status and keep hazards away. Using it at the correct time is also important, as revealing it early on can lead to the opponent being more careful with their Klefki/Toxic spreading/etcsupport Pokemon or when spreading Toxic. The same goes for Defog - sometimes it is better to throw out a Will-O-Wisp to cripple something such as Scarf Genesect that switches in expecting a Will-O-Wisp(What? Why would Genesect switch in on a predicted Will-O-Wisp?). Using Recover at the right time is also a good plan. Interestingly, with a combination of Magic Coat and Will-O-Wisp / Defog, a well-played Arceus-Psychic can actually stopprevent Dialga from setting up Stealth Rock due to Magic Coat protecting it from Dialga’s Toxic. However, bear in mind that Arceus-Psychic has to watch out for Toxic on the switchin, as well as Stealth Rock already being set up before it comes in / aswhen it comes in.

Due to the full HP investment, Arceus-Psychic also does reasonably well against Mega Blaziken due to resisting Low Kick, and therefore being able to switch in on it and easily OHKO Mega Blaziken with Judgment, with Knock Off not receiving a boost due to the Plate being unremovable. Swords Dance on the switch (add space)in can prove problematic, but if also using Kyogre, it is possible to switch around smartly so that Arceus-Psychic can easily take on even +2 Mega Blaziken thanks to the rain (e.g. Kyogre comes in on Flare Blitz, sets up rain, then Arceus-Psychic comes in on Low Kick). This is not a foolproof method of dealing with Mega Blaziken, however. This variant of Arceus-Psychic is also more reliable than the specially defensive set due to the 164 Defense EVs, helping it take Flare Blitz better.

Lastly, it is best not to be too obvious with Arceus-Psychic when using it, as it is not too hard to predict its switch in and send in Yveltal, Arceus-Ghost or Darkrai to scare it away and gain free turns;.(replace semicolon with period) as mentioned, throwing out a Will-O-Wisp to catch these Pokemon on the switch is not a bad play. It is also interesting to note that Mega Gengar cannot really trap Arceus-Psychic safely due to it being OHKOed by Judgment on the switch (add space)in, and can have its Taunt Magic Coated back at it.

Something of note are that it is reasonably hard for physical attackers to set up on Arceus-Psychic; Will-O-Wisp cripples Swords Dance Arceus and Groudon, whilst Mega Blaziken, who is immune to burn and can therefore set up Swords Dance on several support Arceus, is promptly OHKOed by Judgment.

Team Options
========

Xerneas takes care of Dark Types such as Darkrai and Yveltal with a specially defensive spread, and can use Aromatherapy to cure itself and Arceus-Psychic of any status. Sylveon can also work too, as can Clefable(remove spaces, em dash)Clefable gets special mention for being able to wall certain things that try to set up on Arceus-Psychic, such as Calm Mind Arceus formes; however, Clefable tends to be better with a physically defensive spread and therefore cannot take Oblivion Wings and Sludge Bombs as well as specially defensive Sylveon and Xerneas can. Sylveon gets bonus points for being able to wreck Darkrai with Hyper Voice even if it Substitutes on Arceus-Psychic, whilst Xerneas can absorb Dark Void if it is running a Rest/Sleep Talk cleric set(remove spaces, em dash)the two can take even a +2 Life Orb Sludge Bomb whilste easily OHKOing back with a Fairy move, although Bad Dreams + Stealth Rock means that Xerneas can fall to it.

Ho-Oh switches in on opposing Calm Mind Arceus that can try and take advantage of Arceus-Psychic, and can also eat uptake hits from Yveltal and Darkrai easily. It helps that this variant of Arceus-Psychic can viably run Defog, making Ho-Oh’s life a lot easier. Ho-Oh can also take on any kind of Genesect, devouring U-Turns, Bug Buzzes, Iron Heads and Ice Beams and asking Genesect FOR MOAR, with Genesect having to blow itself up to threaten Ho-Oh at all (a point of interest is that Genesect will receive the Special Attack boost due to Arceus-Psychic’s defensive spread, so U-Turn will not be boosted). Genesect gets a Special Attack boost from Download due to Arceus-Psychic's physically defensive spread, meaning U-turn will not be boosted. It also frightens Scizor to death, although bear in mind that switching in on U-Turn from either hands theswitch initiative to the opponent,.(replace comma with period) as well as Scizor sometimes carryingies Toxic especially for Ho-Oh (although the aforementioned Fairies can deal with thisremove status with Heal Bell or Aromatherapy).

Dark Types of your own are also useful, as Lugia has the potential to be irritating (you can Magic Coat its Toxic and Whirlwind back however), and if Arceus-Psychic goes down before the opponent’s Mewtwo does, you may have a backup check to them, with Yveltal in particular being able to Sucker Punch Mewtwo. Darkrai and Yveltal can deal with Arceus-Ghost too, which can cause Arceus-Psychic huge problems and also threatens to set up on it. They also deal with Gothitelle nicely, which can otherwise trap Arceus-Psychic and set up on it with Calm Mind and Trick Room.

2. All-encompassing Mewtwo Counter
########
name: All-encompassing Mewtwo Counter
move 2: Payback
move 3: Magic Coat
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Sassy

Moves
========

Judgment is used as STAB, allowing for fair neutral damage thanks to the Plate boost, and importantly allows Arceus-Psychic to 2HKO Mega Mewtwo X. Payback is used to 2HKO all Mewtwo and Mega Mewtwo Y, and also allows for a guaranteed OHKO against Deoxys-Attack, which can just barely live a Judgment if not running a Naive or Rash nature. Magic Coat allows Arceus-Psychic to reflect back status moves, most importantly Taunt from Mewtwo - Itwhich allows Arceus-Psychic to beat all variants of Stalltwo as it protects Arceus from Taunt and from Will-O-Wisp, and meansing that Payback’s power is not cut in half by a burn. Lastly, Recover is to keep Arceus-Psychic at high health so that it can repeatedly come in on Mewtwo and Deoxys-Attack.

Set Details
========

Sassy with full Special Defense investment allows Arceus-Psychic to counter any variant and forme of Mewtwo completely, whilst not reducing the power of Payback or Judgment. Not even Mega Mewtwo Y’s Shadow Ball, which is already a very rare and inferior move on Mewtwo, can 2HKO after Stealth Rock (I think, have to check this). Judgment deals with Mega Mewtwo X, coming very close to a 2HKO, whilst MMX can't do much back, and also does solid damage to other tier members neutral to it, such as 3HKOing Palkia without Leftovers - due to the Special Defense investment, Arceus-Psychic can act as a decent check to offensive Palkia - bear in mind that Palkia will be faster, however, and can carry status. Payback is useful for Mewtwo and Mewtwo Y, 2HKOing both of them as long as Arceus-Psychic isn’t burned, and also guaranteeds an OHKO on Deoxs-Atttack. Magic Coat is useful for bouncing back hazards from the likes of Deoxys-Speed and Klefki, as well as shielding Arceus-Psychic from Toxic and other status, and Taunt from Mewtwo. Lastly, Recover helps keep Arceus-Psychic at a high amount of HP and means that it can do its job better.(A lot of this was said in Moves.) An alternative spread is 252 HP / 240 SpDef / 16 Spe Careful, with Zen Headbutt over Judgment, so that Arceus-Psychic can outspeed neutral Speed base 90s - however, Zen Headbutt cannot 2HKO Mega Mewtwo X and does less damage than Judgment on average (although Kia takes more from Zen Headbutt I think). Other interesting options are Roar which, along with the full Special Defense and HP investment allows it to survive a Moonblast from Geomancy Xerneas after Stealth Rock damage and phaze it away, as well as phazing away anything that tries to set up on Arceus-Psychic. Extreme Speed can also find a place to finish off certain threats and help in anti-leading Deoxys-Speed and Deoxys-Attack (hitting them with Payback first, then Extremespeeding them, whilst also being able to bounce back Stealth Rock or Taunt with Magic Coat); however, Extreme Speed is very weak without STAB or investment, and takes up a valuable moveslot.

Usage Tips
========

Arceus-Psychic should be switched into Mewtwo liberallyfreely, even before it has been revealed what kind of Mewtwo it is, due to its ability to take on all three formes and any variant of the three. Its ability to easily sponge Psystrikes, Fire Blasts, Ice Beams, Low Kicks and other moves helps it immensely, and it can immediately threaten Mewtwo with its moves. If it is revealed that the Mewtwo is a Stalltwo variant, however, it is recommended to be careful not to switch in Arceus-Psychic on a Taunt or a Will-O-Wisp, as it will no longer be able to Magic Coat a Will-O-Wisp back or Recover if Taunted, whilstor its Payback will be crippled and turn from a 2HKO to a 4HKO against Mewtwo, as well as taking large residual damage each turn.

Arceus-Psychic should also be switched into Deoxys-Attack (and, as mentioned, can even anti-lead it), due to its ability to sponge even Life Orb Psycho Boost easily, as well as not being threatened by a 2HKO from any other move Deoxys-Attack carries; only 252 Atk Life Orb Knock Off and 252 SpAtk Life Orb Dark Pulse have a chance of 2HKOing (and require suboptimal moveslots and/or EV spreads anyway);. Deoxys-Attack is easily OHKOed in return by Payback or even by Judgment if it is running Naive nature, which is the standard.

Use Magic Coat smartly. Don't spam Magic Coat all the time as it gives free switches however. Using it to ambush Klefki, Toxic Palkia, SR Groudon, and Taunt Mewtwo (who will almost certainly try to Taunt to stop you statusing it) means thatallows Arceus canto protect itself from status and keep hazards away. Using it at the correct time is also important, as revealing it early on can lead to the opponent being more careful with their Klefki/Toxic spreading/etcsupport Pokemon or when spreading Toxic.

Due to the full HP investment, Arceus-Psychic also does not do too badly against Mega Blaziken due to resisting Low Kick, being able to switch in on it and easily OHKO Mega Blaziken with Judgment. Swords Dance on the switchin can prove problematic, but if using Kyogre, it is possible to switch around smartly so that Arceus-Psychic can easily take on even +2 Mega Blaziken thanks to the rain (e.g. Kyogre comes in on Flare Blitz, sets up rain, then Arceus-Psychic comes in on Low Kick). However, this is not a foolproof method of dealing with Mega Blaziken, however.

Lastly, it is best not to be too obvious with Arceus-Psychic when using it, as it is not too hard to predict its switch (add space)in and send in Yveltal, Arceus-Ghost or Darkrai to scare it away and gain free turns. It is also interesting to note that Mega Gengar cannot really trap Arceus-Psychic safely due to it being severely damaged or OHKOed by Judgment on the switch (add space)in.

Team Options
========

Xerneas takes care of Dark Types such as Darkrai and Yveltal with a specially defensive spread, and can use Aromatherapy to cure itself and Arceus-Psychic of any status. Sylveon can also work too, as can Clefable(remove spaces, em dash)Clefable gets special mention for being able to wall certain things that try to set up on Arceus-Psychic, such as Calm Mind Arceus formes; however, Clefable tends to be better with a physically defensive spread and therefore cannot take Oblivion Wings and Sludge Bombs as well as specially defensive Sylveon and Xerneas can. Sylveon gets bonus points for being able to wreck Darkrai with Hyper Voice even if it uses Substitutes on Arceus-Psychic, whilste Xerneas can absorb Dark Void if it is running a Rest/Sleep Talk cleric set.

Ho-Oh switches in on opposing Calm Mind Arceus that can try and take advantage of Arceus-Psychic, and can also eat up hits from Yveltal and Darkrai easily. However, this means that a Rapid Spinner or Defogger is mandatory, and Arceus-Psychic cannot be the one doing it as it does not really have space on its moveset.(team options for Arceus-Psychic, not Ho-Oh) Ho-Oh can also take on any kind of Genesect, soaking up U-Turns, Bug Buzzes, Iron Heads and Ice Beams without a second thought, with Genesect having to blow itself up to threaten Ho-Oh at all. It also frightens Scizor to death,;(remove comma, replace with semicolon) although,(add comma) bear in mind that switching in on U-Turn from either hands theswitch initiative to the opponent, as well as. Scizor sometimes carryingies Toxic especially for Ho-Oh. Speaking of Ho-Oh, it can come in on Arceus-Psychic relatively easily, so it is important to keep up Stealth Rock to prevent it from doing so, and also have a decent switchin such as Tyranitar or Landorus-Therian; usefully,. Both of these can set up said Stealth Rock.

Dark Types of your own are also useful, as Lugia has the potential to be irritating (you can Magic Coat its Toxic and Whirlwind back however)—though you can Magic Coat on the Toxic or Whirlwind—,(remove comma) and if Arceus-Psychic goes down before the opponent’s Mewtwo does, you may have a backup check to them, with Yveltal in particular being able to Sucker Punch Mewtwo. Darkrai and Yveltal can deal with Arceus-Ghost too, which can cause Arceus-Psychic huge problems and also threatening to set up on it. They also deal with Gothitelle nicely, which can otherwise trap Arceus-Psychic and set up on it with Calm Mind and Trick Room.

3. Calm Mind
########
name: Arceus-Psychic the Calm Mind King
move 1: Psyshock
move 2: Thunder / Fire Blast / Focus Blast
move 3: Calm Mind

Moves
========

Psyshock is STAB and hits the opponent in their Defense, giving Arceus-Psychic a strong move to use against its opponents. The coverage move is up to peronal preference and team structure, with each move hitting a different target. Calm Mind allows Arceus-Psychic to set up, whilst Recover keeps it at high HP.

Set Details
========

STAB Psyshock is what gives Arceus-Psychic its niche as a Calm Mind user. It allows Himit(what you call Arceus should stay consistent throughout the whole analysis. If you'd like, you can change every reference to Arceus as "it" to "Him" or "He") to do things that other Arceus can't, such as beating other CM Arceus by preying on their unboosted Defense. It also allows Himit to get past Ho-Oh by hitting the turkey bird in her weaker Defense. Usefully, Psyshock also allows Arceus-Psychic to beat Gothitelle, as at +1, Psyshock 3HKOes Gothitelle, meaning that she can't Taunt and set up Calm Mind and Rest (sorry Melee Mewtwo).

Choose your coverage move as appropriate. Thunder gives the best neutral coverage, and hits Yveltal, Lugia and Kyogre. Focus Blast is the only move that lets you take Tyranitar, and hits Steel-Types. Fire Blast hits Steel-Types too, murdering Scizor and Genesect (although Genesect might just U-Turn out, and needs to be caught on the switch if Choice Scarfed).

Alternative EV spreads are max Speed to tie with other Arceus that run the same, and moving Defense and maybe HP investment into Special Attack so that Arceus-Psychic hits harder. 176 Speed allows Arceus-Psychic to outspeed and easily OHKO unevolved Mega Gengar even at +0, meaning that it cannot Destiny Bond Arceus-Psychic away like the cheap piece of shit that it is, i don’t think i’ll have time to play the suspect but please get this piece of shit out of here.

Usage Tips
========

Use like you would any Calm Mind Arceus. Wait until its checks are gone then set up and sweep late-(add hyphen)game. Watch out for Toxic in particular, as it ruins all Calm Mind Arceus without Refresh, and Arceus-Psychic can't use Refresh due to needing coverage. However, burn is not the worst status as it protects you from Toxic, paralysis and Darkrai’s Dark Void. Using coverage moves to complement the rest of Arceus-Psychic’s teammembers is recommended, e.g. It is kind of pointless to use Fire Blast for opposing Scizor / Genesect if Ho-Oh is on your team, and Focus Blast is kindof pointless if you have something like Groudon to destroy opposing Tyranitar with / Xerneas to destroy opposing Arceus-Dark with / etc.(this doesn't really fit under Usage Tips)

Team Options
========

Mega Gengar can Destiny Bond away Dark Types if it has to, as well as trapping other annoying Pokemon, and can be an annoyingass stupid bitch in general. Ho-Oh checks the CM Arceus that Psychic Arceus loses to, such as Ghost and Dark. The issue here is that Arceus can't provide Defog support, so Rapid Spin users are probably your best bet, as otherwise Ho-Oh will fall.(this should be team options for arceus-psychic, not ho-oh) Xerneas or another Fairy-Type work well to check Dark-Types and provide cleric support. Heatran works nicely against Genesect and Scizor if you don't want to run Fire Blast or use Ho-Oh. Ground-Types deal with Tyranitar if you leavearen't using Focus Blast at home, and can set up SR to help break Lugia(I think you should list some examples here).

Other Options
########

Toxic may be good on everything, but on Arceus-Psychic,(add comma) it means that Steel-Types cause (add space)even more problems. Thunder Wave can cripple Yveltal and Darkrai, Darkrai in particular, whilst also deterring setup from things such as Geomancy Xerneas. Dark Pulse or Surf on Calm Mind (or Thunderbolt if you aren't a real man who runs Thunder) (...?). (add space)Perish Song and Roar are nice moves, and Perish Song in particular helps against last-man-standing opponents such as Calm Mind Resttalk Xerneas or Mono Calm Mind Arceus, making it a great tool for stall, an archetype that doesn’t appreciate the triple threat Mewtwo can pose. It is probably best to run Perish Song with full speed investment so that Arceus-Psychic has the best chance of Perish Singing against said Calm Mind Arceus. Extreme Speed + Payback + Magic Coat ruins Deoxys leads. Psyshock can be used over Judgment to deal fair damage to Ho-Oh, as well as dealing consistent supereffective damage to Arceus-Poison, but sadly does not 2HKO Mega Mewtwo X. Punishment stops Arceus-Ghost, Gothitelle and Mega Mewtwo Y from setting up with Calm Mind, but is very specialised and is extremely weak unboosted (it does not 2HKO Mega Mewtwo Y or even 3HKO normal Mewtwo) as well as having very low PP.

Checks & Counters
########

**Yveltal**: probably the most threatening tier member to Arceus-Psychic, itYveltal can come in on Psychic moves, Payback, Defog and Magic Coat for free, and threatens Arceus-Psychic immensely with Dark Pulse, whilste also being able to Sucker Punch boosted Calm Mind variants. However, it does not appreciate Will-O-Wisp on the switchin, however, and falls to boosted Thunder from a well-played Arceus-Psychic.

**Darkrai**: Darkrai outspeeds Arceus-Psychic, and is a triple threat (huehuehue who gets the basketball reference), being able to Dark Pulse Arceus-Psychic, Dark Void it or the switchin, or set up Nasty Plot/even Substitute as Arceus-Psychic runs away. It can also check the Calm Mind set competently, only really fearing Focus Blast on the switchin. However, Arceus-Psychic can be a man and Magic Coat Dark Void back, however.

**Arceus-Ghost**: Arceus-Ghost threatens to set up with Calm Mind or Swords Dance, or simply beat up on Arceus-Psychic with Judgment. However, it can be burned by Will-O-Wisp, making it risky to set up Swords Dance, whilst Calm Mind variants can lose to Calm Mind Arceus-Psychic variants that have more boosts due to Psyshock hitting Arceus-Ghost in its unboosted Defense.

**Blissey**: Blissey can eats uptank everything support Arceus-Psychic can do whilste threatening with Toxic, and does not particularly care about having its Toxic reflected back due to Natural Cure and Heal Bell. Boosted Psyshock from Calm Mind Arceus-Psychic can severely hurt her though.

**Steel-Types**: Steel-types, such as Genesect, Scizor, Aegislash, and support Dialga resist Judgment and Psyshock and can either U-Turn off of it (Genesect and Scizor), set up and status it (support Dialga), or status it/hit it with Shadow Ball (Aegislash). However, Genesect, Scizor and Aegislash are ruined by Will-O-Wisp, and Dialga doesn’t particularly appreciate it either.

**Ho-Oh**: Ho-Oh comes in on anything the support sets have and threatens burns and / or heavy damage with Sacred Fire or Brave Bird. It does not, however, do too well against Calm Mind Arceus-Psychic, due to Psyshock hitting it in its relatively low Defense, meaning that unlike other Calm Mind Arceus (Dark, Ghost, Steel, Poison), Arceus-Psychic actually has a much easier time getting through Ho-Oh.

**Lugia**: Lugia hard walls the Calm Mind set unless Multiscale is broken and it is hit by +2 Thunder, and can poison Calm Mind Arceus-Psychic and / orWhirlwind it away. It can Dragon Tail away support Arceus-Psychic, and can also poison it /or Whirlwind it away if it isn’t caught by Magic Coat.

**Shadow Tag**: Gengar cannot come in safely due to Judgment, but can outspeed Support Arceus-Psychic and deal heavy damage with Shadow Ball. It can also be stupendously gay and Destiny Bond Calm Mind variants away, butHowever, it loses if it ishas not mega evolved. Gothitelle can trap support Arceus-Psychic and set up Calm Mind, cannot 2HKO Arceus-Psychic at +6, and loses to Calm Mind Arceus-Psychic due to being slower and getting hit in its unboosted Defense by Arceus-Psychic’s boosted Psyshocks, whilst also not being able to Taunt reliably due to Magic Coat, and also loses to the rare Punishment.

**Status**: Toxic ruins Arceus-Psychic’s walling ability and comes from every direction this generation. Will-O-Wisp is also thrown around by support Arceus and ruins Payback’s damage output if you are running it, as well as stacking nasty residual damage. Thunder Wave ruins Arceus-Psychic’s great speed and leaves it open to slower threats such as Yveltal’s Dark Pulse.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)