Not open for further replies.

Name: Arceus-Steel
Type: Steel
Abilities: Multitype
Base Stats: 120 / 120 / 120 / 120 / 120 / 120
Movepool: http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/arceus-steel/moves
Stats and movepool unconfirmed

General Description:
Arceus-Steel may have lost his Dark and Ghost resists, but he arguably made up for that with an appealing Fairy resist. At the same time, Fairies can very well profit from his Ground- and Fighting-type weaknesses like the Dark- and Ghost-types did in the generation before. Being Ho-Oh fodder means that it's more likely Arceus-Steel will be running the likes of Stone Edge. Still, he maintains his many resistances and immunity to Toxic and, like every other Arceus, can always be used to clear the field of hazards with Defog.

I usually run a judgement, recover, calm mind, and earth power set with modest nature and 252 speed and special attack evs. It really helps with all those damn fairies.

^and sucks vs Ho-oh. There is literally one fairy you need to concern yourself with (when talking about getting swept) and that is Xerneas, who will beat you assuming Focus Blast hits anyway.

Steelceus users should be wary. The threat that Ho-oh cannot be dismissed in teambuilding and by using your Arceus slot for such a Ho-oh weak type must always be weighed when you create your team, especially considering you essentially dismissed the usage of the best check to it. Stone Edge is an important move for it, and Will o Wisp is a good move on any Arceus, especially those resistant to Extremespeed. It does suffer from a 4MSS, though, as Judgment/Wow/Stone Edge/Recover and Defog are all moves it wished it could have. Same problem as Fairyceus has tbh. Other than that, Steelceus is a solid as ever and CM Steelceus should always be prepared for (which is arguably easier now with Defog+Ho-oh).

I feel the major drawback to Steelceus is being unable to check Palkia rather than being Ho-Oh weak. The latter is easily solved by tacking on Stone Edge while with the former you lose one of your best checks to the beast (bulky arc forme) because Steelceus is weak to Fire Blast. On top of that, it has competition with Fairyceus and Poisonceus for it's significant niches of checking Dragons and being immune to Toxic respectively. That isn't to say Steelceus is bad, but it certainly suffers a lot more from opportunity cost this generation than it did the one before.

I agree with you Melee, Stone Edge is definitely solving the Ho-oh problem, but not the Palkia one. There is significant opportunity cost in not running Defog or Will o Wisp on an Arceus though...

Thats is why i have a choice scarf palkia to kill ho oh.
No.

Thats is why i have a choice scarf palkia to kill ho oh.
This is a mistake I feel a lot of newer players make. The thing to keep in mind when building a team regarding a certain threat is how easily your team (in general) gives it free turns (meaning, where it has opportunities to throw out attacks without risk to itself) and how well you can switch into that Pokemon and regain momentum (by forcing the threat out). The issue Hack brings up with your set is that it gives Ho-Oh numerous free turns, it can switch in directly on your Steel Arceus under just about any conditions. Because Ho-Oh is such a large offensive threat this is a major problem because it is difficult to add members to your team that can repeatedly switch directly into Ho-Oh (which you would need because Ho-Oh can come in easily multiple times throughout the game). The problem with relying on Choice Scarf Palkia to solve this issue is that Palkia struggles immensely to directly switch-in. Eveen if you have perfect, god-like prediction, Choice Scarf Palkia isn't even sure to force Ho-Oh out as there may be conditions (such as Sun) where Ho-Oh can actually afford to stay in. Even if you do manage to force Ho-Oh out, Choice Scarf Palkia doesn't put much pressure on the opponent's team which means you'll gain very little from it.

To sum it up, your opponent will have: Multiple turns to bring in Ho-Oh and do what he likes + be able to put large amounts of pressure on your team, essentially taking a kill everytime it comes in. (you only have 6 guys on a team)

On the other hand all you have is: A check (Scarf Palkia) that can not easily switch into Ho-Oh the many times Ho-Oh will switch in + be unable to apply much pressure on the opposing team every time your Palkia miraculously does come in.

As you can see, your opponent is at a heavy advantage.

Now, you basically have two options to fix this:
A)Limit the number of free turns you give a specific threat.
This means running Stone Edge on Steelceus.

B)Be able to switch into the specific threat as often as it can switch into you.
This means running something like Carbink who can easily be spammed on the majority of Ho-Oh variants.

Keep in mind option B isn't as effective as option A, especially when using something like Carbink, because you are reacting to your opponent. This means that it is more likely your opponent will hax you before you hax them which can heavily turn the game in their favor. On top of this, hard counters like Carbink don't apply much pressure themselves so you still come off with the lesser deal. An alternative counter that could be as dangerous as the opposing HO-Oh would be effective (like Phys Def Ho-Oh) but these either don't exist or are situational.

I'm just wondering, which sets are still viable for Steelceus in X and Y? I know that the major Arceus sets rely on either Calm Mind, Swords Dance, or support moves, and last Gen Steel Arceus was able to run all three. I want to know which of those are still effective in the new metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)