Archeops(QC 0/3)

Really begging for a revamp so let’s get this done an over with

[Overview]

• Really Great Attacking Stats along with a great base 110 speed
• Really Great Movepool plus with some very good moves added to its arsenal from the BW2 Move Tutors(Aqua Tail, Heat Wave, and Roost are the most noticeable)
• Unfortunately cursed with a horrid ability that prevents it from being the monster it could be
• No Dream World Ability either which is depressing
• Weak to Stealth Rock doesn't help either
• Bad Defenses will make Defeatist activate from any strong attack aimed at Archeops
• However with the BW2 Move Tutors, Roost can help alleviate such ability but will still be very frail
• Always consider Rapid Spin Support when using Archeops
• Re-introduction of Hail is also a problem

[SET]
name:Acrobat
move 1: Acrobatics
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Earthquake / Aqua Tail / Earth Power
move 4: U-Turn / Roost
item: Flying Gem
ability: Defeatist
nature:Jolly / Naive
evs 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
• Archeops's signature set makes good use of its great attack
• Arcobatics to hit anything really hard coupled with great STAB after Flying Gem use(becomes 110 base power after use but with STAB becomes 165)
• Stone Edge for second STAB has good coverage against most Pokémon in RU
• Earthquake to complete the “EdgeQuake” combo also hits Rhydon, Qwilfish, and Steelix really hard
• Aqua Tail can hit Rhydon much harder however
• U-Turn to gain Switch initiative
• Roost can help alleviate Defeatist but again still very frail
• Spikes Support can be appreciated as it wears down Archeops’s counters
• Don’t forget Rapid Spin support as always
• Earth Power can be used as an alternative from Earthquake as most of Archeops counters have low special defense

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
• Sandslash as a spin Supporter
• Magneton to take care of Steelix, Ferroseed, and Escavalier
• Evs are pretty self explanatory 252 Attack, 252 Speed
• Adamant is a option as you can outspeed base 95s without Jolly but Speed is Archeop’s Main selling point
• Spikes Support from either Accelgor or Crustle is appreciated
• Healing Wish or Wish is also appreciated so either Gardevoir, Clefable, Mesprit, or Uxie can fill this role but both Gardevoir and Clefable also have Heal Bell which is also appreciated to get rid of annoying Status
• Rotom can take Aqua Jets and Mach Punches aimed at Archeops so Archeops’s Ablility will not be activated more often
• Kabutops can provide offensive Spin support for Archeops
• Manectric is a decent partner as it takes care of Archeop’s Electric Weakness plus Flamethrower and Overheat take care most of Archeop’s Counters/Checks. Also deals with Qwilfish
• Cryogonal for Rapin Spin support(beware of weakness to Stealth Rock however)

[SET]
name: Choiced
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: U-Turn / Crunch
move 4: Aqua Tail
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
ability:Defeatist
nature:Jolly / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
• Really threating choice user with either Scarf or Band
• Choice Band allows Archeops to become a fierce attacker while Choice Scarf allows it to be a powerful Revenge Killer
• Either Choice item can be situational however so keep that in mind
• U-Turn to gain switch initiative
• Stone Edge as main STAB as Archeops doesn’t have a good Flying STAB outside of Acrobatics
• Aqua Tail to hit Rhydon and Steelix really hard
• Earthquake can do the latter to Steelix also provides the EdgeQuake combo as well
• Crunch to hit Psychic Types such as Uxie really hard (recommended with Choice Band)
• Again Rapid Spin support

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
• Sandslash as a spin Supporter(Again)
• Magneton to take care of Steelix, Ferroseed, and Escavalier
• Evs are pretty self explanatory 252 Attack, 252 Speed
• Adamant is a option as you can outspeed base 95s without Jolly but Speed is Archeop’s Main selling point
• Spikes Support from either Accelgor or Crustle is appreciate
• Healing Wish or Wish is also appreciated so either Gardevoir, Clefable, Mesprit, or Uxie can fill this role but both Gardevoir and Clefable also have Heal Bell which is also appreciated to get rid of annoying Status
• Rotom can take Aqua Jets and Mach Punches aimed at Archeops so Archeops’s Ablility will not be activated more often
• Kabutops can provide offensive Spin support for Archeops
• Manectric is a decent partner(again) as it takes care of Archeop’s Electric Weakness plus Flamethrower and Overheat take care most of Archeop’s Counters/Checks. Also deals with Qwilfish
• Cryogonal for Rapin Spin support(beware of weakness to Stealth Rock however)

[Other Options]

• Life Orb Mixed can help against Tangrowth but it can be annoying with the residual damage plus with hail it can overall be counterproductive even with Roost
• Endeavor + Focus Sash is a decent Gimmick but really wastes Archeops's potential
• Stealth Rock lead but is usually outclassed by Aerodactyl
• Taunt to prevent Stealth Rock or Status on opposing walls
• Tailwind to boost its speed but it is pretty worthless considering Archeops is already fast and it might never get the opportunity to do so either
• Hone Claws to boost Archeops’s Attack plus increase the accuracy of Stone Edge but is frail and can be revenge killed
• Lol Choice Specs
• Heat Wave to hit Durant, Tangrowth, and Escavalier pretty hard(as well as Steelix and Klinklang)

[Checks and Counters]

• Any Scarfer that can hit Archeops Super Effectively can check Archeops
• Quagsire can check Archeops but Flying Gem Acrobatics can really dent it
• Sandslash can’t really do anything to Archeops outside of Stone Edge and Toxic
• Choice Scarf Rotom(or Any Rotom Forme to be exact) and Galvantula check Archeops pretty well
• Priority users such as Kabutops, Hitmonchan, and Feraligatr can stop Archeops cold
• Omastar?
• Alomomola counters Archeops decently due to Regenrator plus with its Blissey like HP stat and decent base Defense
• Both Rhydon and Steelix are shaky counters to Archeops as Earth Power can 2HOKO both of them while Choice Band really hurt this these two with either Aqua Tail and Earthquake

not on QC team but format for sets is suppose to look like

name: Set Name
move 1: Most Important
move 2: Second Most Important
move 3: Third Most Important
move 4: Least Important
item: Item
ability: Ability
nature: Nature
evs: EVs
ivs: IVs

specify on scafers like Medicham and Rotom-C. Also isn't Choiced items suppose to be seperate sets? someone correct me if i'm wrong.

not on QC team but format for sets is suppose to look like

name: Set Name
move 1: Most Important
move 2: Second Most Important
move 3: Third Most Important
move 4: Least Important
item: Item
ability: Ability
nature: Nature
evs: EVs
ivs: IVs

specify on scafers like Medicham and Rotom-C. Also isn't Choiced items suppose to be seperate sets? someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Fixed! Also Rotom was already specified and since Rotom-C practicality shares the same role as Rotom it should count
Thank you DittoCrow for giving me that guide

I don't think you need IVs if you're not going to adjust them, so you can probably just remove them. Also the EVs are supposed to look like 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Fix the format please. It should be exactly how Pkn range posted.

• move 1:, move 2:, evs:, etc. should not be capitalized.
  • You need a nature.
  • You do not need an "ivs:" section if they are all 31.
  • [OTHER OPTIONS] should be changed to [Other Options]
  • The moves should be spaced out, like: Earthquake / Aqua Tail
  • The EVs should be like in SpareAacount's post. EVs go in order of stat: HP / Atk / Def / SpA / SpD / Spe
  • Don't use curly (’) commas, use (') instead.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Imo the Acrobatics set should look like this:

Name: Acrobatics
move 1: Acrobatics
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Head Smash / U-turn / Roost
item: Flying Gem
ability: Defeatist
nature: Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Earth Power is used over Earthquake here because the vast majority of Pokemon that Archeops will be using Earthquake on have a signicantly lower Special Defense than defense, meaning that Earth Power actually hits Rhydon, Steelix, Qwilfish, Klinklang etc harder in the end. Aqua Tail should be moved to the AC as it only really hits Rhydon in the end, and while Rhydon's pretty important, Earth Power is already capable of 2HKOing standard Rhydon after a slight amount of prior damage, decreasing the need for Aqua Tail. Head Smash gives Archeops a way to land one final, really powerful hit on the opponent before going down, it also gives Archeops a way to hit somewhat hard even in defeatist range, hitting about as hard as a non Defeatist Rock Slide in this situation.

I also think that Heat Wave should be added to the AC, if not slashed somewhere (i left it out for now). It gives Archeops a way to hit Escavalier, Durant and Ferroseed incredibly hard, while still being able to hit Steelix and Klinklang as well.

Uxie doesnt learn Healing Wish at all, so it shouldnt be mentioned as a Healing Wish supporter for Archeoops in the AC in any form, things such as Mesprit and Lilligant should be placed in this section instead, Mesprit's probably the best user of healing wish available in the tier and Lilligant isnt so bad at it either (Scarf Healing Wish Lilligant isnt bad at all). Alomomola should be mentioned in the wish/healing wish support section as well, as it has access to both moves and can take various priority moves such as Entei's Extremespeed and Absol's Sucker Punch that might be used to revenge kill Archeops or simply to knock it into defeatist range, making it much less threatening.

Going to agree with August about adding Alomomola, Steelix, and Rhydon to checks and counters, they all do a pretty good job of threatening it (although the latter two hate Earth Power), and they do a much better job of checking it than say Slowking and Medicham. Durant should be removed from Checks and Counters entirely as well, Flying Gem Acrobatics gets a guarenteed OHKO on it with no prior damage and even gemless Acro does about 70%, furthermore, Archeops outspeeds durant by one point, meaning that Durant wont be able to get an attack in even if it switches in safely initially. Absol should be mentioned with the priority users instead of Hitmonchan in my opinion, Hitmonchan isnt that great of a Pokemon and Absol's Sucker Punch pretty much OHKOs Archeops, making it a decent revenge killer. Like August said i think this is going to need a lot more work before i can QC approve it, but implementing these changes is a good start.

Seconding Sandslash being removed as a spinner as well, its really not that great, and stacking up weaknesses to things like aqua jet, surf, waterfall, blizzard, and ice beam is never a good thing :/.

EDIT: Scarf should have a set at all

Also, as Dittocrow said, the format needs to be fixed

Fixed with all the suggestions

I still think I am missing something or I missed something just can get my finger on it.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
lol you are missing the 3 best archeops counters...... steelix rhydon and alomomola. steelix has massive defense and all archeops has to hurt it is earthquake, same w/ rhydon. alo gets dented by an initial acrobatics but regen allows it to continue to come in pretty frequently since after that it can just wish / protect off the damage.

sandslash is overall probably the worst spinner in ru so i wouldnt recommend pairing archeops with sandslash but probably with cryogonal or kabutops instead. overall mesprit is a better healing wisher (imo) than uxie and clefable, so perhaps you should just make mention of mesprit and gardevoir because to be quite frank i think uxie and fable have better things to do than healing wish for archeops. also medicham is definitely NOT an archeops counter as its too frail to switch into even u turns or stone edges... slowking gets blasted by acrobatics and just gets u turned out of. durant will have trouble switching in repeated times but i guess its a check. kabutops checks archeops reasonably well, being able to take an acrobatics and threaten with aqua jet.

also a scarf pokemon is not a counter to archeops, but rather a check. this still needs some work before i can qc it

lol you are missing the 3 best archeops counters...... steelix rhydon and alomomola. steelix has massive defense and all archeops has to hurt it is earthquake, same w/ rhydon. alo gets dented by an initial acrobatics but regen allows it to continue to come in pretty frequently since after that it can just wish / protect off the damage.

sandslash is overall probably the worst spinner in ru so i wouldnt recommend pairing archeops with sandslash but probably with cryogonal or kabutops instead. overall mesprit is a better healing wisher (imo) than uxie and clefable, so perhaps you should just make mention of mesprit and gardevoir because to be quite frank i think uxie and fable have better things to do than healing wish for archeops. also medicham is definitely NOT an archeops counter as its too frail to switch into even u turns or stone edges... slowking gets blasted by acrobatics and just gets u turned out of. durant will have trouble switching in repeated times but i guess its a check. kabutops checks archeops reasonably well, being able to take an acrobatics and threaten with aqua jet.

also a scarf pokemon is not a counter to archeops, but rather a check. this still needs some work before i can qc it
Will add the Alomomola to the list and Mesprit as a support pokemon, but I dont really count Steelix as a fool proof counter due to Earthquake still doing a number to Steelix plus Earth power is a 2-shot to Steelix, but Steelix can survive and hit back Archeops with a Gyro ball which will OHKO Archeops without a doubt so Ill add it as a check for now depending on what the other QC members think. same thing applies to rhydon too as choice band Aqua Tail has a very high chance to OHKO rhydon while banded Earthquake is a 2-shot

also the Medicham,Slowking, and Durant all have question marks on them indicating them more as checks rather than counters as I am aware that they are not the best counters to Archeops(I dont really consider Medicham a counter, rather a check due to Fake Out+Bullet Punch)

btw I already mentioned kabutops along with hitmonchan and feraligatr due to their priority moves

also Mesprit plays a near identical role to Uxie but I will mention it otherwise

• Spikes Support can be appreciated as it wears down Archeops’s counters
• Don’t forget Rapid Spin support as always
Isn't this supposed to be in AC? Because partners are going under AC, and they provide this type of support (I don't think you need to go into supporting Archeops in the Set Comments).

Also, you said EQ hits Steelix, Rhydon, and Qwilfish hard, but doesn't Earth Power hit them harder because of their weaker Special Defense? I would use different examples, or just slash Earth Power over EQ in this case.

Also, I wouldn't say Rotom as an option to taking Aqua Jets, because unless you're bulky Rotom, Rotom gets 2HKOed by unboosted Aqua Jets after SR by Kabutops and Feraligatr, while getting OHKOed by boosted Aqua Jets after SR.

Right now I'm doubting the quality of this analysis. It seems like you don't have much experience with Archeops (having Medicham as a counter, initially lacking Earth Power on the set, having Choice Scarf on a set, not listening to the QC team/not removing Durant from checks, etc.). This isn't a big deal, but I would like you to write up the Overview so the QC team can take a look at your quality.

Right now I'm doubting the quality of this analysis. It seems like you don't have much experience with Archeops (having Medicham as a counter, initially lacking Earth Power on the set, having Choice Scarf on a set, not listening to the QC team/not removing Durant from checks, etc.). This isn't a big deal, but I would like you to write up the Overview so the QC team can take a look at your quality.
will do. this will take some time as I will be busy with some other matters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)