1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

(Archive) Small Subjective Changes Thread

Discussion in 'Archives' started by eric the espeon, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Elgoo

Elgoo

www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/ho-oh

At first glance, this may seem identical to the Choice Band set, but this Ho-Oh plays more as a revenge killer and a fast sweeper. With Choice Scarf making up for Ho-Oh’s below average sweep, it can surprise many opponents to become an unexpected speedy threat

Sweep should be changed to speed.
  2. Namso

Namso
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

Done.
  3. Delta 2777

Delta 2777 Machampion
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion

There is really no reason to say Thick Fat Hariyama as opposed to simply stating Hariyama, since Absol does not commonly carry any Fire or Ice-type moves.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/absol
  4. Namso

Namso
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

I agree with this change. Done.
  5. Namso

Namso
    Mentor

This is done, too.
  6. Ubermensch

Ubermensch

http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/metal_sound

In the description of this move, the apostrophe should be removed from "Lower's".

Right now, it says: "Lower's the target's Special Defense two stages."

So it should say: "Lowers the target's Special Defense two stages."

Just a simple grammatical error.
  7. Ray Jay

Ray Jay "The sky's the limit, okey-dokey!"
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/uber_battling

In Introduction to Ubers:

The Ubers metagame is almost a forgotten metagame; the main reason being that everyone plays the Overused metagame (OU), and the fact that some other people even think that Uber Pokémon take no skill to use. They are, however, quite wrong, as Uber matches are full of strategy. Uber Pokémon pack more power and a greater movepool than many OU Pokémon, making the Uber metagame quite unbalanced; this is how, when, and where strategy, prediction, and critical thinking shine the most.

A few simple edits to make it easier to read.

Under Maximizing Moves:

Add a period to the end of the last sentence.

Under The Lead Pokemon:

It should read: Also, Choice Scarf Mewtwo can come back into play later as a great revenge killer.

It should say that they can "get Stealth Rock up"
  8. Aura Guardian

Aura Guardian

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/infernape
    Counters discussion

"Tentacruel is the best counter to the most common set, the mixed Nasty Plotter"
    | Infernape | Move | Nasty Plot | 15.8 |
    And if that means Nasty Plot Ape with Close Combat instead of Focus Blast, then Physically-Based Mixape is more used, judging by locations on the analysis.

EDIT:
    Perhaps: "Tentacruel is the best counter to the second most common set*, the mixed Nasty Plotter"
    *if it is the second most common, that is.
  9. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

nice catch. i fixed it even though you didn't link to it !_!
  10. Midnight.

Midnight.

11. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=

it seems somebody forgot to double rhyperior's speed. i fixed it.
  12. Aura Guardian

Aura Guardian

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/starmie
    Choice Scarf set

"For example, if you are up against a Gyarados and you know that your opponent has a Choice Band Tyranitar ready to Pursuit you; do you use Surf or Thunderbolt?"

A comma would be better after the third "you". The semicolon is incorrect, if I recall my English class correctly.
  13. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=

correct, the "if" causes the problem

i fixed it, thanks.
  14. black.arwing

black.arwing

Under the [URL="http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/arceus]Extreme Killer[/URL] moveset: "With Arceus's bulkiness..."

Possessive nouns ending in "s" only require an apostrophe; not another "s".

Just a small mistake, but I thought I'd point it out ^_^

Edit: Sorry about that, MY mistake -.-
  15. Namso

Namso
    Mentor

That said, "Arceus's bulkiness" is correct because if you continue the sentence, it is referred to singularly. (With Arceus's bulkiness, it should have no problem finding a niche for one Swords Dance, and maybe even two or three.)
  16. Burn Jack

Burn Jack

In Mewtwo's All Out Attacker moveset:

Should be complements without an apostrophe. (And I would suggest "hitting super effectively the Flying-types that resist Aura Sphere", but that's for a different thread.)
  17. rickheg

rickheg

I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but...
    http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/torterra

Torterra is a UU pokemon, but every set mentions how it fares in OU. If someone could change these to mention how Torterra does against other UU's that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  18. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=

thanks i fixed it :)
  19. black.arwing

black.arwing

Okay, this time I really found a mistake: Under the "The Great Wall" moveset:

"Outrage will do more damage than Dragon Claw,,..."

One comma too many.

Edit: I'm not sure if this is a mistake too, but you may want to take a look at it: "Dragon Claw enables Giratina to severely damage other Dragon-types, OHKO Deoxys-A, and deal a respectable amount of damage to Ho-Oh and Darkrai; whereas Dragon Pulse carries a dash more power against Groudon."

Isn't that semicolon supposed to be a comma?
  20. Al_Alchemist

Al_Alchemist Physics and Math \O/
    is a SPL Winner

Regarding http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/shedinja.

On all three sets you use a negative defense nature (lonely/hasty) for the theoretical situation of a Porygon2's / Porygon-Z's download ability, so the Porygon will receive an attack boost instead of a special attack boost. However, this is not the case.

You would need at least a defense IV of 12 or lower (along with the negative defense nature) and the movement of the 4 Def EVs to 4 Special Defense EVs (special defense must be higher to change download boost). In order to actually put the defenses to any use I'd suggest natures, EVs, and IVs, be changed to the following for each set:

Swords Dance
    Code:
    Nature: Lonely
    IVs: 12 Def
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Trick
    Code:
    Nature: Lonely
    Baton Pass
    Code:
    Nature: Hasty
    This gives Shedinja 96 Def and 97 SpD which will work against the Porygons' download ability. For those who don't care for Download (such as in Ubers) and/or pass substitutes to Shedinja a simple Adamant or Jolly, 252 Atk / 4 Def or SpD / 252 Spe and regular max IVs would do of course :). That could be explained in the EV section.

Also, it isn't explained in the Baton Pass set why it is better for Shedinja to be Hasty over Lonely, although I'm not saying it shouldn't be. Shedinja hasn't been updated in a long time though, so uh yeah this probably isn't that much of a priority and would probably need a full update as well when the time comes ^^.
  21. dr00

dr00

i noticed a problems with Totodile's EVs

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/totodile

all sets are incorrect it seems, and the spreads should be: 236 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

it may seem superfluous, but i think it's necessary as the remaining EVs are often used to correct a nearly flawless pokemon.

totodile's attack maxes out with only 236 EVs.
    additionally, the first set won't have max speed with only 232 Spe (and the next lowest speed point is achieved at 172)
  22. Catmaniac66

Catmaniac66

This might have been posted, but I feel that most pokemon that dont have the extra 4 EV's in speed that have even defense and neutral natures should use 4 special defense EVs since this makes Download give an attack boost, and therefore a better option for those EVs.

EDIT: Someone changed all the pokemon with Even defenses like I suggested, thank you!
  23. Catmaniac66

Catmaniac66

Also, all of the Shedinja sets use lonely or hasty and such, despite the fact that they don not use special attacks, therefore making adamant the better choice no matter what. Subs matter, while nothing that that +10% in special attacks matters, from what I can tell. So therefore, Adamant is better.

EDIT: Unless it is for download, which I could see, ignore this if that is the case. I would make sure to at least mention that and the sub situation, since both are pretty obscure.
  24. Namso

Namso
    Mentor

Torterra is currently undergoing an analysis revamp, found here, which will be based on the UU metagame.

This is true. I fixed the spreads.

Great catch. I added your suggestions.
  25. MegaKick

MegaKick

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/shedinja

In the opinion section, where it mentions Ubers, it says that using abamasnow is foolish. Actually, the christmas tree is very usefull, as his STABs let him hit many Ubers super effective. Pherhaps change it to something like, tyranitar and abamasnow are uncommon, while hippodown is practically never used?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)