PU Ariados [QC : 3/3] [GP : 2/2]

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Overview
########

Ariados is a rather outclassed Pokemon in PU. While it does have a niche in having access to both Sticky Web and Toxic Spikes, there are better users of Sticky Web, mainly Kricketune and Leavanny, and Toxic Spikes aren't always worthwhile. While this entry hazard combination makes Ariados seem like an amazing lead for offensive teams, it has quite a few things holding it back. Firstly, Ariados is incredibly slow, especially for a lead, making it complete Taunt bait and easy to KO. Not only is Ariados incredibly prone to Taunt, but it also can't do much damage at all to any Taunt users. Ariados's vulnerability to Taunt aside, it is still hard to set up both Sticky Web and Toxic Spikes against most teams. Finally, Ariados absolutely needs its Focus Sash to be effective, requiring team support to function effectively if it is not led with.

Lead
########
name: Lead
move 1: Sticky Web
move 2: Toxic Spikes
move 3: Megahorn
move 4: Sucker Punch / Poison Jab
ability: Insomnia
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

While Sticky Web is on the opponent's side of the field, the Speed of a foe switching in is lowered by one stage, allowing your powerful wallbreakers to become threatening sweepers. Toxic Spikes wears down foes very quickly, especially those on offensive teams holding a Life Orb, and cripples walls, making them easier to KO. Ariados's STAB Megahorn hits fairly hard, despite its mediocre base 90 Attack and keeps it from being complete Taunt bait for the likes of Misdreavus and Kricketune. Sucker Punch is recommended in the last moveslot due to its priority, but Poison Jab can be used to 2HKO Togetic, deterring it from using Defog against Ariados.

Set Details
========

Focus Sash is required on the set, as it allows Ariados to set up at least one layer of entry hazards if it isn't Taunted first. Maximum Speed and Attack investment allow Ariados to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible, including Adamant Golem and Marowak, and deal as much damage to foes as possible. Insomnia is helpful to prevent Ariados from being put to sleep by the occasional Sleep Powder or Hypnosis. However, Swarm can be used because sleep-inducing moves are relatively uncommon in PU, and Megahorn hits rather hard when Ariados is brought down to its Focus Sash, as it is boosted by Swarm.

Usage Tips
========

Ariados should be used to set up Sticky Web and Toxic Spikes early-game and is best used as a suicide lead. Do not lead with Ariados only if the opponent has an entry hazard remover or a Taunt-using lead such as Kricketune or Barbaracle. If your opponent has a more offensively inclined team, set up Sticky Web and at least one layer of Toxic Spikes if possible, but try to set up two layers of Toxic Spikes against more defensive and stall teams. Ariados should be attacking only if it is given a free turn or neither entry hazard helps your team much, so take advantage of Team Preview as much as possible. Also, be wary of opposing grounded Poison-types, as they can remove Toxic Spikes by switching in.

Team Options
========

Strong, slow wallbreakers such as Beheeyem, Bouffalant, Flareon, and Marowak make for good partners to Ariados, as they appreciate Sticky Web. Pokemon that can pressure g Poison-types also make for good partners, as they can keep opposing grounded Poison-types from switching in and instantly removing Toxic Spikes. Spinblockers such as Misdreavus and Haunter make for decent teammates for their ability to keep foes from using Rapid Spin to remove entry hazards. Purugly makes for a good partner thanks to its ability to deter opposing Defoggers through Defiant. Electric-types such as Raikou, Luxray, and Zebstrika pressure opposing Flying-types, which are immune to Sticky Web and Toxic Spikes and can carry Defog to remove entry hazards. Fast attackers such as Sneasel and Raichu are helpful in case Sticky Web is removed or not set up in the first place.

Other Options
########

Ariados doesn't really have many other viable options, especially because its only real niche is having access to both Sticky Web and Toxic Spikes; however, it has a few niche moves it can use. A weather support set with Sunny Day could be used, but it is very outclassed by other sun setters. Also, Night Shade can be used to deal decent damage to Steel- and Ghost-types.

Checks & Counters
########

**Entry Hazard Removers**: Rapid Spin users, such as Avalugg and Wartortle, can spin away Ariados's entry hazards with ease. Avalugg takes very little damage from Megahorn and can 2HKO Ariados with Avalanche or spin away entry hazards. Also, Defog users, such as Pelipper and Swanna, can clear away Ariados's entry hazards with ease.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types take almost no damage from Megahorn and can set up Stealth Rock and phaze Ariados out. Bastiodon has Magic Coat to bounce back Ariados's entry hazards. Golem takes very little damage from either of Ariados's attacks and can KO it with Rock Blast, especially in a lead matchup. Barbaracle can Taunt Ariados to prevent it from setting up entry hazards and set up its own Stealth Rock.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types resist Ariados's STAB moves and can basically do whatever they want. For example, Arbok can set up, and Haunter can Taunt Ariados or set up a Substitute, but it must be wary of Sucker Punch. Grounded Poison-types also absorb the Toxic Spikes that Ariados sets.

**Purugly**: Purugly has a decent chance to KO Ariados with Fake Out + Return if it is running a Silk Scarf, a guaranteed KO if it is running a Life Orb. Additionally, it can take advantage of the Speed drop from Sticky Web for a +2 Attack boost thanks to Defiant.

**Taunt**: Faster users of Taunt such as Kricketune and Misdreavus can stop Ariados in its tracks; the former two are also able to set up entry hazards of their own.

**Misdreavus**: Misdreavus has Taunt to stop Ariados from setting up entry hazards and takes very little from Ariados's STAB moves, allowing it to easily set up Nasty Plot.

Last edited:
I know this is still in WIP but it's actually not /that/ outclassed by kricketune because it gets toxic spikes (which need to be on the set btw), it just has a really hard time setting both them and sticky web up.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ununhexium are you still working on this? You have 48 hours to finish this skeleton and move it to qc stage, or I'll allow someone else to pick it up. It's been a wip for long enough

Ununhexium

is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm doing what I can but I have stuff and on top of that my computers broken. I'll try but I'm posting this with my phone

Ununhexium

I'm doing what I can but I have stuff and on top of that my computers broken. I'll try but I'm posting this with my phone

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
OK it's fine, just try and let me or the rest of the QC team know ahead. You can have some more time to finish this, but if you know you won't be able to, please unreserve so that someone else can.

Ununhexium

Yup sorry for the miscommunication. I'll try to add some but I'm getting my computer fixed this weekend hopefully so I'll probably have it up by like Sunday hopefully

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ununhexium! Could you please beef up the C&C? Maybe include some examples of real case scenarios that Ariados may encounter n_n

Ununhexium

I added golem to the list but I'm not exactly sure what you mean (and contrary to what mont said its actually 53 words before golem)

You should mention that while it is slow, it has access to priority (such as Sucker Punch), which should definitely be an OO mention. You should also mention that STAB Megahorn from a base 90 attack is pretty threatening and can get off great damage, making Swarm also an option since Sash would be broken and activate it, another OO mention or could be slashed on Insomnia as not much mons are sleep inducers in PU.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Mention that Poison Jab allows Ariados to hit Togetic, which would otherwise Defog with ease.

Team Options should really include faster Pokemon; I highly doubt the likes of Beheeyem and Bouffalant would be sufficient in outrunning fast stuff such as Sneasel and Raichu after just -1.

Checks and Counters should be things that can nullify one / both of Ariados's jobs, which is to set up Web or hazards. Bastiodon's Magic Coat prevents Ariados from doing anything, and Poison-types should be noted for their ability to soak up Toxic Spikes.

Pokemon that can use Taunt can easily stop Ariados cold, though if certain Taunt users fear Ariados's STAB moves (such as Serperior) you should note that they should be wary.

Make a section about Rapid Spinners (and put Avalugg in it), since pretty much every notable Rapid Spinner in PU, such as Avalugg, Wartortle, and Torkoal, can spin in Ariados's face.

C&C should include Defog, as it can easily undo Ariados's hard work. Mention Defiant Purugly in Team Options for this.

it breaks its Focus Sash and limits its remaining bulk as it strips one fourth of Ariados' HP
You don't need to mention the latter bit; an Ariados without its Sash is as good as dead no matter how much health it has.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
Overview
########
- Note that it is outclassed as a pure Sticky Web setter by Kricketune, but that being able to set up both Webs and Toxic Spikes is Ariados' niche.

Lead
########
- Make Sucker Punch the first slash with Poison Jab afterwards. It's nice to be able to snipe specially defensive Togetic and Mantine, but it's still only a 2HKO. Sucker Punch provides useful priority, which helps when Ariados is so rather slow even with Sticky Web taken into account. If the rest of QC would chime in though, I would appreciate it.

Moves
========
- Don't forget the 4th move.

Set Details
========
- Explain that Jolly allows Ariados to outspeed Adamant Golem and Marowak, allowing it to set up a single hazard in a pinch before it gets taken down by their STAB moves.
- Expand on Sash by explaining that Ariados is rather frail, so it needs its Sash intact to do its job.

Usage Tips
========
- You should buff this up, there are a few things you need to say.
- One important thing to mention is that attacking isn't really a priority for Ariados, unless you can tell that neither hazard it carries will be that useful. Take advantage of Team Preview.

Team Options
========
- Yeah, Defiant Purugly plz. Faster powerhouse teammates are also pretty important, as well as teammates that deter Flying-types/Levitate mons that hover over the hazards Ariados sets.

Checks & Counters
########
- Do all of what Punchshroom said here, except for Torkoal (which isn't PU).
- Purugly should be listed before Golem. Fake Out and Return from Jolly Silk Scarf has a good chance to 2HKO Ariados, and Life Orb versions have an even better chance. It also abuses the Sticky Webs that Ariados lays to get a free Defiant boost.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I typed this out and then realized you haven't implemented WDM's changes. Please implement both mine and his changes. Ununhexium

Overview
- Don't mention its typing, it has no bearing on how Ariados functions
- I actually think it's completely outclassed by Kricketune (I mean who goes "wow I need TSpike so much") but whatevs, just make sure you emphasize that Kricketune is usually better

Set:
- Make Insomnia the only ability. Swarm doesn't contribute to the setting up of SW or TSpikes

Usage Tips:
- Toxic Spikes doesn't necessarily work better against defensive teams. They're pretty useful vs offense too and most defensive teams carry some way to remove it, so it could be harder to keep up vs them.
- Mention to set up one layer vs offense

Team Options:
- Mention that it should only be used on offense
- Mention that offensive teammates can pressure Defoggers and spinners, and make a mention of Purugly
- Mention Pokemon that pressure grounded Poisons (eg. Beheeyem, Marowak) so that they play more carefully when trying to absorb TSpike

Checks and Counters:

This section should be focused more on preventing / getting rid of SW instead of walking Ariados.

- Instead of just Avalugg, simply mention hazard removers and list the relevant ones.
- Poison-types should be noted for removing TSpikes.
- Remove Bastiodon; it's only found on stall anyway and you wouldn't use SW against stall, usually.
- Remove Golem, it's actually slower.
- Add Purugly: Fake Out + Return beats Ariados
- Add faster Taunt users. For example, Misdreavus and Haunter.
- If you want, you can add a section on Pokemon that wall Ariados's attacking moves. Just state that they don't prevent hazards.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Im not qc but here is some advice:
In overview you should probably mention how it fails to do anything other than web + tspikes, it is literally its only niche.
Mention how megahorn prevents it being complete taunt bait (hits taunt shit like kricket and glalie)
I also dont think there is a need to mention swarm at all, i know there arent many sleep users, but sometimes sleep could be the only way to stop sticky web (an example of this is mag's sun team :o)
In UT, mention when to use it (as a lead, or keep it alive if the opp has a defog/lead taunter)
OO should back up the fact that ariados shouldnt be using anything different (night shade might not be too bad there, at least does something to missy)
Misdreavus should have its own place in c&c, can outspeed and taunt and set up nasty plots + takes nothing from megahorn. Golem never run jolly so will be slower, i dont see the point of giving that a whole section. Definitely mention hazard removers, they make dos useless. In taunt, taunt leads like glalie and kricketune deserve a mention; both can taunt then set up hazards on ariados.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
Mention how its Taunt bait (slower than every common taunter)

Lead
########
Moves
========
Ik you might add more when you write up, but you are really underselling toxic spikes. They are really good in this meta and you have to make it seem like that tspikes are great enough to use ariados for

Usage Tips
========
Sticky web + 1tspikes for offense
2 Tspikes vs stall usually
Mention to be careful of setting up tspikes and dying if the opp has a grounded poison type

Team Options
========

• Slow strong wallbreakers (Beheeyem, Bouffalant, Flareon, Marowak)
  • Pokemon that can pressure Poison-types that attempt to absorb Toxic Spikes
  • Spinblockers (Misdreavus, Gourgeist, maybe Haunter but that dies)
  • Defiant Purugly to pressure Defoggers
  • Rock-types such as Golem to check Flying-types
  • Fast attackers which appreciate the opponent's Choice Scarf users neutralized such as Sneasel and Raichu
  • Should only be used on offense
A lot of the pokemon you mentioned are still a bit slow for webs. Mention faster (but still poor) speed pokes as well (eg chatot)
Gourgeist doesnt fit on webs, remove it
Use a different example of a pokemon that checks rock types, golem does not do well vs pelipper or swanna
'Fast attackers which appreciate the opponent's Choice Scarf users neutralized such as Sneasel and Raichu' Change this as the most common scarfers are rotom-f and haunter. Say fast attackers in case sticky web gets cleared/spun/never set up/what ever

Other Options
########

• Nothing much
  • Maybe suicide Sunny Day + Toxic Spikes
  • Sucker Punch for priority as Ariados is rather slow
Remove sucker punch since it is mentioned in the set
Remove tspikes +sunny day since garb gets that
Mention that ariados shouldnt do anything else but sticky web
Add night shade, does some damage to missy at least

Checks & Counters
########

**Entry Hazard Removers**: Replace mantine with pelipper

**Rock-types**: You cut out the name of a poke at the start (i assume bastiodon). Also say that golem gets outspeed to ariados guarantees 1 hazard. Mention barbaracle who can outspeed and taunt then set up its own hazards.

**Poison-types**: Say Haunter can taunt it or sub, but has to watch out for sucker punch

**Taunt**: Remove haunter since it has already been mentioned

**Misdreavus**: Misdreavus has Taunt to stop Ariados from setting up entry hazards and takes very little from its STAB moves, allowing it to easily set up Nasty Plot.

Implement this and i will stamp

Ununhexium

Anty i implemented all of this except that Golem thing in C&C. I wasnt sure if you were trying to say Golem outspeeds Ariados or Ariados outspeeds Golem.

"partially outclassed by kricketune, but can set up tspikes" - don't mention this. you already talk about that its literal only niche is sticky web + tspikes, no need to say this just yet, and in this fashion. at the end of the overview mention that other sticky webbers will generally serve you better, include kricketune, and that tspikes is a very small reason to consider it over any other mon.

the last slot is rather bad tbh, i'd say that sucker gets a suicide hit on something at least.

qc 2/3

Anty

let's drop
Anty i implemented all of this except that Golem thing in C&C. I wasnt sure if you were trying to say Golem outspeeds Ariados or Ariados outspeeds Golem.
I meant outsped by aradios, sorry

Now that trc took my check, tag me after you have written this so i can give you the final one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)