Aron (Analysis)

Aron

QC Approved [2/2]: comatthew6; Diana
GP Approved [2/2]: Ray Jay; NatGeo

[Overview]
<p>At a glance, Aron seems to be a generic Rock-type Pokemon, with a great Defense stat and a good Attack stat. However, a closer look at Aron reveals that it has access to the combo of STAB Head Smash and the ability Rock Head, allowing it to do enormous amounts of damage without taking recoil. It also sports an impressive nine resistances and one immunity, making it very easy to switch in and start wrecking havoc. Nonetheless, the tiny iron Pokemon is not without its flaws. The current metagame is crawling with Fighting-type Pokemon, all of which can quickly dispose of Aron. In addition to this, Aron's abysmal Speed stat means it will be easily revenge killed by faster pokemon.</p>

[SET]
name: Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: Head Smash
move 3: Iron Head
move 4: Earthquake
item: Life Orb
ability: Rock Head
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 196 Atk / 116 SpD / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set is Aron's best shot at sweeping. Aron's horrible Speed stat significantly limits its sweeping potential, and Rock Polish is a great solution to this problem. After a single Rock Polish, Aron hits 26 speed assuming a Jolly nature, outspeeding all unboosted pokemon in Little Cup while getting the jump on Choice Scarf users with up to 16 Speed. This turns Aron into a formidable late game sweeper. Sadly, setting up a Rock Polish is not easily accomplished because of the plethora of Fighting-types running around. Thanks to Aron's many resistances, though, it is possible with the correct team support. Head Smash is what makes Aron so dangerous, as it seriously dents anything that doesn't resist it. Iron Head is used for secondary STAB and has decent neutral coverage with Head Smash. Earthquake rounds out the coverage nicely, hitting any Steel-types except Bronzor.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Life Orb is needed to do as much damage as possible, since Aron has no way to boost its Attack on this set. The EV spread maxes out Attack and Speed, while the rest of the EVs are dumped into Special Defense. A Jolly nature is preferred over Adamant, so Aron can outspeed Choice Scarf users with up to 16 Speed, such as Chinchou. However, Adamant is an option since Aron will still be able to outspeed every unboosted Pokemon in the metagame. Bulky walls like Ferroseed take little damage from any of Aron's attacks, so they must be removed before Aron attempts to set up. Fighting-types are also very threatening to Aron, most notably Timburr, who has priority Mach Punch. Natu is a great partner for Aron because it can eliminate most Fighting-types bar Scraggy. Natu can also set up dual screens, helping Aron to set up more easily. Magnemite can get rid of many walls including Bronzor, Ferroseed, and Slowpoke. A Fighting-type of your own, such as Scraggy, can lure out Flying-types such as Taillow for Aron to use as set up fodder.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Head Smash
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Superpower
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With a Choice Band equipped, Aron becomes an immediate threat, boasting an Attack stat of 26 and a STAB 150 Base Power attack in Head Smash. The power of this set allows Aron to 2HKO almost everything in the tier, making it extremely hard to check. However, because this set trades Speed for power, Aron must be wary of any pokemon faster than it, or else it will be revenge killed rather quickly. Head Smash is the crux of this set because of its sheer power and ability to break through many walls that Aron would usually have trouble with, such as Slowpoke. Iron Head, while not as powerful as Head Smash, still hits hard and is able to hit any Fighting- or Ground-types that resist Head Smash. Earthquake has great coverage with Head Smash and Iron Head, OHKOing most, if not all, Steel-types. Superpower is mainly on this set for its ability to hit Bronzor and Ferroseed, who otherwise wall this set. Still, Bronzor only takes a maximum of 40% from Superpower, so packing another pokemon to beat Bronzor is recommended.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread is the same as the above set. The Speed EVs allow Aron to hit 12 Speed, which isn't fast at all, but it allows Aron to outspeed many walls such as Frillish and Slowpoke. Max Attack is for as much power as possible, and the remaining EVs are used to increase Aron's mediocre Special Defense. Thunder Wave support is helpful, because it allows Aron to outspeed and KO pokemon that usually are able to OHKO it first, like Gastly. Natu is still a great partner for Aron for the same reasons as before: it can defeat most Fighting-types. Wynaut can dispose of Choice Scarf users and other fast pokemon. Entry hazard support is also greatly appreciated, but no significant OHKOs result from Stealth Rock or 1 layer of Spikes.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Aron can run other sets, but they are generally outclassed by other pokemon, or they are just too gimmicky. Stealth Rock and Roar along with the ability Sturdy can be used to make a decent lead set, but Dwebble does a much better job as a lead because it also has access to Spikes, and it's faster. A Hone Claws set can be used to boost Aron's Attack, but Aron will find it hard to set up. Also, Aron will be much too slow to sweep without a Speed boost. A defensive set with Eviolite can be used, but Aron has too many common weaknesses to be an effective tank. Metal Burst and Sturdy is an option to bait Fighting-types and OHKO them, but after Aron succeeds at doing this it's basically death fodder for the rest of the match. Iron Tail can be used on any of the sets listed above for more power instead of Iron Head, but the 75% accuracy is very unappealing. Aron can also utilize Magnet Rise to avoid Ground-type attacks, but it's not worth the turn it takes to set up. Even with Magnet Rise in effect, Aron still has two other common weaknesses.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Countering Aron is simple because of its common weaknesses. Any Fighting-type such as Mienfoo, Scraggy, or Timburr can OHKO Aron, assuming Sturdy is not in play. Bronzor, Slowpoke, and Hippowdon can wall Aron most of the time, but Slowpoke must be careful of Choice Band Aron. Priority moves including Mach Punch and Aqua Jet will leave a huge dent in Aron, if not KO it. Any pokemon that can outspeed Aron and hit it with a super effective attack, such as Staryu, will beat it.</p>

[Dream World]
<p>Aron's Dream World ability is Heavy Metal, which double's Aron's weight. The only use this ability has is to make the move Heavy Slam stronger, but Heavy Slam's max Base Power is 120, making it greatly inferior to Head Smash. Rock Head and Sturdy are much better abilities.</p>

The skeleton is up! Let me know if any of the formatting is wrong, please (This is my first analysis, after all). :)

- Iron Tail has higher power at the cost of 75 accuracy (OO)
- Metal Burst + Focus Sash can act as a makeshift counter to take out fighting type
- your EVs are off - it only takes 196 Spe EVs to hit maximum Speed, not 236 (according to Serebii); it should be 196 Atk / 116 SpD / 196 Spe but the extra 116 can be in Defense for overkill.
- mention fighting types as partners in the first set as they always lure in taillow/doduo

- Iron Tail has higher power at the cost of 75 accuracy (OO)
- Metal Burst + Focus Sash can act as a makeshift counter to take out fighting type
- your EVs are off - it only takes 196 Spe EVs to hit maximum Speed, not 236 (according to Serebii); it should be 196 Atk / 116 SpD / 196 Spe but the extra 116 can be in Defense for overkill.
- mention fighting types as partners in the first set as they always lure in taillow/doduo
Ok, I'll mention all those and fix the EVs! Thanks! And lol I can't believe I messed up the EVs :P Also, anything wrong with the formatting?

Edit: Changes have been implemented! Anything else? Should I be more specific in the Set comments about counters, or is it good enough (Of course I'll be more specific when I write it up)?

Formatting looks fine; counters should be listed in ADDITIONAL COMMENTS and not Set Comments. Implement that, and it looks fine to me. Some damage calcs would be nice though to showcase what it can do; PM me the calcs on some of the bigger threats and I'll see if you should include them or not.

QC APPROVED [1/2]

Alright, thanks! And I'll do some calcs. By bigger threats, I assume you mean Physical walls, right? I'll just PM you :P

Red

Great set, but overall why not mention the use of Endeavor for that set with SR + Roar?
It's wierd, but still. It can pretty much take anything down with sr down, perhaps a pokemon that is able to beat your team. Sturdy + Endeavor + SR makes sure it can get taken down.

Overall it looks good. But I'd like to see if eviolite can be used since its defense is impressive...

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Aron has too many weaknesses to be used defensively, though keeping that in Other Options is fine to me. This is good, though if comatt wants you to put in damage calcs feel free.

[QC Approved 2/2]

Great set, but overall why not mention the use of Endeavor for that set with SR + Roar?
It's wierd, but still. It can pretty much take anything down with sr down, perhaps a pokemon that is able to beat your team. Sturdy + Endeavor + SR makes sure it can get taken down.

Overall it looks good. But I'd like to see if eviolite can be used since its defense is impressive...
Ok, I'll add your suggestions to OO! :)

I think Aron has too many weaknesses to be used defensively, though keeping that in Other Options is fine to me. This is good, though if comatt wants you to put in damage calcs feel free.

[QC Approved 2/2]
Thank you! And I think I'll do some damage calcs for the CB set and add them in while I write this up.

I should be able to write this up by the end of Monday, maybe sooner if I'm not busy tomorrow. :)

This is written up and ready for GP Checks! I'm hoping I did a good job for my first analysis. :3

I was going to include damage calculations for the CB set, but the percentages were a bit underwhelming against certain pokemon. For example, Superpower on does a max of 40% to 220/152+ Bronzor and Iron Head only does about 30% to 212/212+ Hippo.

But other than walls, Aron destroys.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP Check for my favorite princess

GP 1/2
Additions in Bold
Deletions in Red
[Overview]
<p>At a glance, Aron seems to be a generic Rock-type pokemon, with a great Defense stat and a good Attack stat. However, a closer look at Aron reveals that it has access to the combo of STAB Head Smash and the ability Rock Head, allowing it to do enormous amounts of damage without taking recoil. It also sports an impressive nine resistances and one immunity, making it very easy to switch in and start wrecking havoc. Nonetheless But, the tiny iron pokemon is not without its flaws. The current metagame is crawling with Fighting-type pokemon, all of which can quickly dispose of Aron. In addition to this, Aron's abysmal Speed stat means it will be easily revenge killed by faster pokemon.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>The goal of this set is to attempt to sweep, and it's Aron's best shot at doing so. Aron's horrible Speed stat significantly limits its sweeping potential, and Rock Polish is a great solution to this problem. After a single Rock Polish, Aron hits 26 speed assuming a Jolly nature, outspeeding all unboosted pokemon in Little Cup while getting the jump on and Choice Scarf users with up to 16 Speed. This turns Aron into a formidable late game sweeper. Sadly, setting up a Rock Polish is not easily accomplished because of the plethora of Fighting-types running around. Thanks to Aron's many resistances, though, it is possible with the correct team support. Head Smash is what makes Aron so dangerous, as it seriously dents anything that doesn't resist it. Iron Head is used for secondary STAB and has decent neutral coverage with Head Smash. Earthquake rounds out the coverage nicely, hitting any Steel-types except Bronzor.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Life Orb is needed to do as much damage as possible, since Aron has no way to boost its Attack on this set. The EV spread maxes out Attack and Speed, while the rest of the EVs are dumped into Special Defense. A Jolly nature is preferred over Adamant, so Aron can outspeed Choice Scarf users with up to 16 Speed, such as Chinchou. However, Adamant is an option since Aron will still be able to outspeed everything unboosted. Bulky walls like Ferroseed take little damage from any of Aron's attacks, so they must be removed before Aron attempts to set up. Fighting-types are also very threatening to Aron, most notably Timburr, who has priority Mach Punch. Natu is a great partner for Aron because it can eliminate most Fighting-types bar Scraggy. Natu can also set up dual screens, helping Aron to set up more easily. Magnemite can get rid of many walls including Bronzor, Ferroseed, and Slowpoke. A Fighting-type of your own, such as like Scraggy, can lure out Flying-types such as Taillow for Aron to use as set up fodder.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With a Choice Band equipped, Aron becomes an immediate threat, boasting an Attack stat of 26 and a STAB 150 Base Power attack in Head Smash. The power of this set allows Aron to 2HKO almost everything in the tier, making it extremely hard to check switch in to. However, because this set trades Speed speed for power, Aron must be wary of any pokemon faster than it, or else it will be revenged rather quickly. Head Smash is the crux of this set because of its sheer power and the ability to break through many walls that Aron would usually have trouble with, such as Slowpoke. Iron Head, while not as powerful as Head Smash, still hits hard and is able to hit any Fighting- or Ground-types that resist Head Smash. Earthquake has great coverage with Head Smash and Iron Head, OHKOing most, if not all, Steel-types. Superpower is mainly on this set for its ability to hit Bronzor and Ferroseed, who otherwise wall this set. Still Though, Bronzor still only takes a max of 40% from Superpower, so packing another pokemon to beat Bronzor is recommended.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread is the same as the above set. Thunder Wave support is can be helpful, because it allows Aron to outspeed and KO pokemon that would usually are be able to OHKO it first, like Gastly. Natu is still a great partner for Aron for the same reasons as before. Wynaut can dispose of Choice Scarf users and other fast pokemon. Entry hazard support is also greatly appreciated, turning some 2HKOs into OHKOs. Care to mention any notable ones?</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Aron can run other sets, but they are generally outclassed by other pokemon, or they are just too gimmicky. Stealth Rock and Roar along with the ability Sturdy can be used to make a decent lead set, but Dwebble does a much better job as a lead because it also has access to Spikes, and it's faster. A Hone Claws set can be used to boost Aron's Attack, but Aron will find it hard to set up. Also, Aron will be much too slow to sweep without Agility. A defensive set with Eviolite can be used, but Aron has too many common weaknesses to be an effective tank. Metal Burst and Sturdy is an option to bait Fighting-types and OHKO them, but after Aron succeeds at doing this it's basically death fodder for the rest of the match. Iron Tail can be used on any of the sets listed above for more power instead of Iron Head, but the 75% accuracy is very unappealing. Aron can also utilize Magnet Rise to avoid Ground-type attacks, but it's not worth the turn it takes to set up. Even with Magnet Rise in effect, Aron still has two other common weaknesses.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Countering Aron is simple because of its common weaknesses. Any Fighting-type such as Mienfoo, Scraggy, or Timburr can OHKO Aron, assuming Sturdy is not in play. Bronzor, Slowpoke, and Hippowdon can wall Aron most of the time, but Slowpoke must be careful of Choice Band Aron. Priority moves including Mach Punch and Aqua Jet will leave a huge dent in Aron, if not KO it. Any pokemon that can outspeed Aron and hit it with a super effective attack, such as Staryu, will beat it.</p>

[Dream World]
<p>Aron's Dream World ability is Heavy Metal, which double's Aron's weight. The only use this ability has it to make the move Heavy Slam stronger, but Heavy Slam's max Base Power is 120, making it greatly inferior to Head Smash. Rock Head and Sturdy are much better abilities.</p>

GP Check for my favorite princess

GP 1/2
Additions in Bold
Deletions in Red
[Overview]
<p>At a glance, Aron seems to be a generic Rock-type pokemon, with a great Defense stat and a good Attack stat. However, a closer look at Aron reveals that it has access to the combo of STAB Head Smash and the ability Rock Head, allowing it to do enormous amounts of damage without taking recoil. It also sports an impressive nine resistances and one immunity, making it very easy to switch in and start wrecking havoc. Nonetheless But, the tiny iron pokemon is not without its flaws. The current metagame is crawling with Fighting-type pokemon, all of which can quickly dispose of Aron. In addition to this, Aron's abysmal Speed stat means it will be easily revenge killed by faster pokemon.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>The goal of this set is to attempt to sweep, and it's Aron's best shot at doing so. Aron's horrible Speed stat significantly limits its sweeping potential, and Rock Polish is a great solution to this problem. After a single Rock Polish, Aron hits 26 speed assuming a Jolly nature, outspeeding all unboosted pokemon in Little Cup while getting the jump on and Choice Scarf users with up to 16 Speed. This turns Aron into a formidable late game sweeper. Sadly, setting up a Rock Polish is not easily accomplished because of the plethora of Fighting-types running around. Thanks to Aron's many resistances, though, it is possible with the correct team support. Head Smash is what makes Aron so dangerous, as it seriously dents anything that doesn't resist it. Iron Head is used for secondary STAB and has decent neutral coverage with Head Smash. Earthquake rounds out the coverage nicely, hitting any Steel-types except Bronzor.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Life Orb is needed to do as much damage as possible, since Aron has no way to boost its Attack on this set. The EV spread maxes out Attack and Speed, while the rest of the EVs are dumped into Special Defense. A Jolly nature is preferred over Adamant, so Aron can outspeed Choice Scarf users with up to 16 Speed, such as Chinchou. However, Adamant is an option since Aron will still be able to outspeed everything unboosted. Bulky walls like Ferroseed take little damage from any of Aron's attacks, so they must be removed before Aron attempts to set up. Fighting-types are also very threatening to Aron, most notably Timburr, who has priority Mach Punch. Natu is a great partner for Aron because it can eliminate most Fighting-types bar Scraggy. Natu can also set up dual screens, helping Aron to set up more easily. Magnemite can get rid of many walls including Bronzor, Ferroseed, and Slowpoke. A Fighting-type of your own, such as like Scraggy, can lure out Flying-types such as Taillow for Aron to use as set up fodder.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With a Choice Band equipped, Aron becomes an immediate threat, boasting an Attack stat of 26 and a STAB 150 Base Power attack in Head Smash. The power of this set allows Aron to 2HKO almost everything in the tier, making it extremely hard to check switch in to. However, because this set trades Speed speed for power, Aron must be wary of any pokemon faster than it, or else it will be revenged rather quickly. Head Smash is the crux of this set because of its sheer power and the ability to break through many walls that Aron would usually have trouble with, such as Slowpoke. Iron Head, while not as powerful as Head Smash, still hits hard and is able to hit any Fighting- or Ground-types that resist Head Smash. Earthquake has great coverage with Head Smash and Iron Head, OHKOing most, if not all, Steel-types. Superpower is mainly on this set for its ability to hit Bronzor and Ferroseed, who otherwise wall this set. Still Though, Bronzor still only takes a max of 40% from Superpower, so packing another pokemon to beat Bronzor is recommended.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread is the same as the above set. Thunder Wave support is can be helpful, because it allows Aron to outspeed and KO pokemon that would usually are be able to OHKO it first, like Gastly. Natu is still a great partner for Aron for the same reasons as before. Wynaut can dispose of Choice Scarf users and other fast pokemon. Entry hazard support is also greatly appreciated, turning some 2HKOs into OHKOs. Care to mention any notable ones?</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Aron can run other sets, but they are generally outclassed by other pokemon, or they are just too gimmicky. Stealth Rock and Roar along with the ability Sturdy can be used to make a decent lead set, but Dwebble does a much better job as a lead because it also has access to Spikes, and it's faster. A Hone Claws set can be used to boost Aron's Attack, but Aron will find it hard to set up. Also, Aron will be much too slow to sweep without Agility. A defensive set with Eviolite can be used, but Aron has too many common weaknesses to be an effective tank. Metal Burst and Sturdy is an option to bait Fighting-types and OHKO them, but after Aron succeeds at doing this it's basically death fodder for the rest of the match. Iron Tail can be used on any of the sets listed above for more power instead of Iron Head, but the 75% accuracy is very unappealing. Aron can also utilize Magnet Rise to avoid Ground-type attacks, but it's not worth the turn it takes to set up. Even with Magnet Rise in effect, Aron still has two other common weaknesses.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

[Dream World]
<p>Aron's Dream World ability is Heavy Metal, which double's Aron's weight. The only use this ability has it to make the move Heavy Slam stronger, but Heavy Slam's max Base Power is 120, making it greatly inferior to Head Smash. Rock Head and Sturdy are much better abilities.</p>
Thanks, Ray Jay! I'll update with your check, and possibly add more to AC for the CB set. :)

Edit: Implemented the changes, this is ready for its final GP check! :]

remove
add
(comments)

[Overview]
<p>At a glance, Aron seems to be a generic Rock-type Pokemon, with a great Defense stat and a good Attack stat. However, a closer look at Aron reveals that it has access to the combo of STAB Head Smash and the ability Rock Head, allowing it to do enormous amounts of damage without taking recoil. It also sports an impressive nine resistances and one immunity, making it very easy to switch in and start wrecking havoc. Nonetheless, the tiny iron Pokemon is not without its flaws. The current metagame is crawling with Fighting-type Pokemon, all of which can quickly dispose of Aron. In addition to this, Aron's abysmal Speed stat means it will be easily revenge killed by faster pokemon.</p>

(remove extra space)
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>The goal of This set is to attempt to sweep, and it's Aron's best shot at sweeping doing so. Aron's horrible Speed stat significantly limits its sweeping potential, and Rock Polish is a great solution to this problem. After a single Rock Polish, Aron hits 26 speed assuming a Jolly nature, outspeeding all unboosted pokemon in Little Cup while getting the jump on Choice Scarf users with up to 16 Speed. This turns Aron into a formidable late game sweeper. Sadly, setting up a Rock Polish is not easily accomplished because of the plethora of Fighting-types running around. Thanks to Aron's many resistances, though, it is possible with the correct team support. Head Smash is what makes Aron so dangerous, as it seriously dents anything that doesn't resist it. Iron Head is used for secondary STAB and has decent neutral coverage with Head Smash. Earthquake rounds out the coverage nicely, hitting any Steel-types except Bronzor.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Life Orb is needed to do as much damage as possible, since Aron has no way to boost its Attack on this set. The EV spread maxes out Attack and Speed, while the rest of the EVs are dumped into Special Defense. A Jolly nature is preferred over Adamant, so Aron can outspeed Choice Scarf users with up to 16 Speed, such as Chinchou. However, Adamant is an option since Aron will still be able to outspeed everything unboosted Pokemon in the metagame. Bulky walls like Ferroseed take little damage from any of Aron's attacks, so they must be removed before Aron attempts to set up. Fighting-types are also very threatening to Aron, most notably Timburr, who has priority Mach Punch. Natu is a great partner for Aron because it can eliminate most Fighting-types bar Scraggy. Natu can also set up dual screens, helping Aron to set up more easily. Magnemite can get rid of many walls including Bronzor, Ferroseed, and Slowpoke. A Fighting-type of your own, such as Scraggy, can lure out Flying-types such as Taillow for Aron to use as set up fodder.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With a Choice Band equipped, Aron becomes an immediate threat, boasting an Attack stat of 26 and a STAB 150 Base Power attack in Head Smash. The power of this set allows Aron to 2HKO almost everything in the tier, making it extremely hard to check. However, because this set trades Speed for power, Aron must be wary of any pokemon faster than it, or else it will be revenge killed rather quickly. Head Smash is the crux of this set because of its sheer power and ability to break through many walls that Aron would usually have trouble with, such as Slowpoke. Iron Head, while not as powerful as Head Smash, still hits hard and is able to hit any Fighting- or Ground-types that resist Head Smash. Earthquake has great coverage with Head Smash and Iron Head, OHKOing most, if not all, Steel-types. Superpower is mainly on this set for its ability to hit Bronzor and Ferroseed, who otherwise wall this set. Still, Bronzor only takes a maximum of 40% from Superpower, so packing another pokemon to beat Bronzor is recommended.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread is the same as the above set. The Speed EVs allow Aron to hit 12 Speed, which isn't fast at all, but it allows Aron to outspeed many walls such as Frillish and Slowpoke. Max Attack is for as much power as possible, and the remaining EVs are used to increase Aron's mediocre Special Defense. Thunder Wave support is helpful, because it allows Aron to outspeed and KO pokemon that usually are able to OHKO it first, like Gastly. Natu is still a great partner for Aron for the same reasons as before: it can defeat most Fighting-types. Wynaut can dispose of Choice Scarf users and other fast pokemon. Entry hazard support is also greatly appreciated, but no significant OHKOs result from Stealth Rock or 1 layer of Spikes.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Aron can run other sets, but they are generally outclassed by other pokemon, or they are just too gimmicky. Stealth Rock and Roar along with the ability Sturdy can be used to make a decent lead set, but Dwebble does a much better job as a lead because it also has access to Spikes, and it's faster. A Hone Claws set can be used to boost Aron's Attack, but Aron will find it hard to set up. Also, Aron will be much too slow to sweep without a Speed boost. A defensive set with Eviolite can be used, but Aron has too many common weaknesses to be an effective tank. Metal Burst and Sturdy is an option to bait Fighting-types and OHKO them, but after Aron succeeds at doing this it's basically death fodder for the rest of the match. Iron Tail can be used on any of the sets listed above for more power instead of Iron Head, but the 75% accuracy is very unappealing. Aron can also utilize Magnet Rise to avoid Ground-type attacks, but it's not worth the turn it takes to set up. Even with Magnet Rise in effect, Aron still has two other common weaknesses.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

[Dream World]

GP 2/2

breh

強いだね
ok, just a note:

heavy slam > iron head.

list of pokemon you hit for worse than iron head (ignoring accuracy, I've bolded ones you hit with 5/6 of iron head's power with EQ):

bagon
tentacool
hippopotas (you probably shouldn't be screwing with this anyway, though)
snover
cacnea
clamperl
shieldon
opposing aron
bronzor
mantyke
lickitung
larvitar
golett
beldum
nosepass
munchlax
rhyhorn
wailmer
onix

At the very least, it deserves an AC or OO mention or something; going unmentioned except in the DW section is silly.

EDIT: I am an idiot. Clearly 1/3 of 60kg is 40kg, right?

yeah, unfortunately, this only corresponds to heavy metal.

remove
add
(comments)

[Overview]

(remove extra space)
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>The goal of This set is to attempt to sweep, and it's Aron's best shot at sweeping doing so. Aron's horrible Speed stat significantly limits its sweeping potential, and Rock Polish is a great solution to this problem. After a single Rock Polish, Aron hits 26 speed assuming a Jolly nature, outspeeding all unboosted pokemon in Little Cup while getting the jump on Choice Scarf users with up to 16 Speed. This turns Aron into a formidable late game sweeper. Sadly, setting up a Rock Polish is not easily accomplished because of the plethora of Fighting-types running around. Thanks to Aron's many resistances, though, it is possible with the correct team support. Head Smash is what makes Aron so dangerous, as it seriously dents anything that doesn't resist it. Iron Head is used for secondary STAB and has decent neutral coverage with Head Smash. Earthquake rounds out the coverage nicely, hitting any Steel-types except Bronzor.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Life Orb is needed to do as much damage as possible, since Aron has no way to boost its Attack on this set. The EV spread maxes out Attack and Speed, while the rest of the EVs are dumped into Special Defense. A Jolly nature is preferred over Adamant, so Aron can outspeed Choice Scarf users with up to 16 Speed, such as Chinchou. However, Adamant is an option since Aron will still be able to outspeed everything unboosted Pokemon in the metagame. Bulky walls like Ferroseed take little damage from any of Aron's attacks, so they must be removed before Aron attempts to set up. Fighting-types are also very threatening to Aron, most notably Timburr, who has priority Mach Punch. Natu is a great partner for Aron because it can eliminate most Fighting-types bar Scraggy. Natu can also set up dual screens, helping Aron to set up more easily. Magnemite can get rid of many walls including Bronzor, Ferroseed, and Slowpoke. A Fighting-type of your own, such as Scraggy, can lure out Flying-types such as Taillow for Aron to use as set up fodder.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[Other Options]

[Checks and Counters]

[Dream World]

GP 2/2
Thank you, Nat! I'll fix everything in a little bit. :)

ok, just a note:

heavy slam > iron head.

list of pokemon you hit for worse than iron head (ignoring accuracy, I've bolded ones you hit with 5/6 of iron head's power with EQ):

bagon
tentacool
hippopotas (you probably shouldn't be screwing with this anyway, though)
snover
cacnea
clamperl
shieldon
opposing aron
bronzor
mantyke
lickitung
larvitar
golett
beldum
nosepass
munchlax
rhyhorn
wailmer
onix

At the very least, it deserves an AC or OO mention or something; going unmentioned except in the DW section is silly.
Oh, you make a very valid point. Do you think I should slash it on both sets, or just mention it in AC / OO?

Edit: Nvm, no more need for Heavy Slam lol. :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)