1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Aron Storm (A 5th Gen SS Team [RMT; Dream World])

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Kappy, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Kappy

Kappy

I hope this is where this goes.

EDIT: I did, indeed, put it in the wrong forum. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but if someone could move it to the Dream World category, I'd be very grateful!!

Edits will be in bold and red.

First off, thanks for checking out my team! I'm not really huge on tournaments, so I don't really know all the in's and out's, but I've been doing pretty well on PO, and thought I'd share my team and get some feedback! I'm a casual-competitive player, so keep that in mind! LOL.

Secondly, I want to give credit to kalamadude's Sanctuary Team. I looked at his team, saw his Slowbro, and instantly added it to my team.

And thirdly, thanks to my friend Xyless for convincing me to go the risky route and use Aron (and for telling me to put his speed at 6 to tie with other Aron). LOL.

At a glance
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Before I go into specifics, being a competitive Super Smash Bros. Brawl player, 'camping' is almost second nature to me, so I was very naturally gravitated to a stall team. Sandstorm was perfect for it. I actually tried hyper offense before I went to stall, but it felt unreliable (like being too aggressive in Brawl), so I went for stall, and after switching out Excadrill for Aron for that WTF/Troll/Brawl feel, I've never looked back and have had a lot of success!

Without further adieu, here it is!

The Team

[​IMG]
    Mio (Hippowdon) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Ice Fang
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Slack Off

My lead against everything and anything. She sets up SR and then either uses Roar or goes away. The reason I run Ice Fang over Earthquake is (hilariously enough) Xatu. She's also my sacrificial lamb when I need a physical wall not named Slowbro, if I need to expend someone for a free switch, or if I need someone to be put to sleep.

[​IMG]
    Yui (Slowbro) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 SAtk
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Flamethrower
    - Slack Off

kalamadude's Slowbro was eye-opening. This girl is a machine. She comes in, soaks up hits, and switches out as if it never happened. Like kalamadude, I net really nice KO's on Dragons using DD, Scizor using SD, and other various Pokémon with Ice Beam and Flamethrower. This girl checks and counters so many pokémon, I always smile when I get to use her.

[​IMG]
    Tsumugi (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Softboiled
    - Heal Bell
    - Toxic
    - Flamethrower

My only special wall, but what a special wall she is! She comes in, takes ANYONE using a special move, and then proceeds to attack or Toxic. Flamethrower is for physical attackers like Scizor who I can catch on the switch, and for burning to reduce physical damage, allowing her to stall even more. The 'SlowBliss' combo, as I call it, is fantastic, since the two work SO well together.

[​IMG]
    Azusa (Tyranitar) (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower
    - Rock Slide

Because this is a Sandstorm team, I wanted to make sure I had both weather-inducing pokémon to make winning the weather war that much easier. I EV'd her in Sp. Def to make sure Ninetails and Politoed couldn't completely cripple her without her doing some serious damage, and CB is for maximum damage to my opponents. Rock Slide is my only wishy-washy move. I almost never use it. I usually just use Crunch/Pursuit. Superpower is for Blissey.

[​IMG]
    LOL (Aron) (M) @ Shell Bell
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 68 HP / 60 Atk / 48 Def / 40 SAtk / 28 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Endeavor
    - Protect
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide

I'm pretty sure people look down on Aron users. To that, I LOL, because he is so easy to beat, but so easy to win with. He is, literally, my counter counter. Is there a counter I don't cover? Aron. Someone boosted to +4 or +6? Aron. Not a GHOST/GROUND/STEEL/ROCK type? Aron.

EV's are for fun EXCEPT speed. This and the nature is to speed tie with any other Aron. No joke. LOL.

Of course, Aron needs ridiculous support. Once his counters and checks are gone, watch him rip through a team and induce frustration and rage. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a 1v1 with Aron, and I win because of Earthquake/Rock Slide. Protect is for scouting (against those who aren't KO'd by Sandstorm and I know can't recover).

Speaking of support, any kind of entry hazard renders him completely useless.

With that said...

[​IMG]
    Anzu (Espeon) (F) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Psyshock
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Grass Knot

My favorite Pokémon, Espeon. Back in 4th Gen, I used her in OU on Shoddy Battle with some success, but she was, simply put, not cut for OU, and so I stopped because I didn't want to conform. Now, in 5th Gen, she has one of the best abilities, IMO.

And with that ability, she becomes the perfect support to my little Aron. Predict SR/Spikes/Taunt/anything minus Destiny Bond and Dragon Tail, and she will reflect it and proceed to cut down the opponent with one of 4 moves and Choice Specs.

She's not a special sweeper, though. She is built precisely for key entry hazard users such as Skarmory, Swampert, Ferrothorn, Tentacruel, Hippowdon. She also does well against those who like to use Toxic, and then destroy them.

Her ONLY problem is her glass-cannon status. She's frail, and so dies quickly, but against those who typically use entry hazards (bulky, but slow), she reflects and out speeds them, and that is her niche for my team.

And if she dies without taking out the entry hazard user(s), Aron is rendered useless.

Threat List

Sorry if this isn't big enough!

Obviously, not having the 'safety' of using a Rapid Spinner and using Espy instead already makes my team hit-or-miss. if I mess up with Espy, Aron's done.

Xyless pointed out substitute. Let me explain why this can be bad or good. If I switch in Aron on a sub and use Endeavor, I only gain 1HP, meaning he's now useless. If the opponent uses Sub on the turn I use Endeavor, Endeavor will break it, no matter what, and I'll stay at 12 HP since I wasn't attacked. I have to make sure subs are gone before I send in Aron.

[​IMG] - This guy + Technician + Spore + Bullet Seed ruins my entire team. I actually was swept just an hour ago by it. LOL. If I don't have Espy, my team is down and out, but ONLY if he uses Bullet Seed. If he runs a different set, Slowbro can easily break his sub and KO him with Flamethrower (provided I sacrificed someone to sleep), and Espy can force a switch.

ZOROARK - (Couldn't find an icon pic) This guy as a lead is scary. He comes in as a random Pokémon, NP's on the scared switch, and sweeps. On Smogon's server, he's easy because of Team Preview, and I'll just use Roar with Hippowdon. Anywhere else, I'm scared. If I find out he's Zoroark, TTar can ruin him unless he's carrying HP Fighting.

SIGILYPH - (Again, couldn't find a small icon pic). This guy's annoying. VERY annoying. Magic Guard, a burn, and the ability to pass it over is amazing. Cosmic Power gives him great defenses, and only Espy can really take him down with ease. Aron is hard-countered by him, because if he's burned, he's dead.

[​IMG] - IMO, sand's greatest weakness is water, especially Politoed with Drizzle. Now, he can be taken down by Espy with Grass Knot or Psyshock, and TTar can do damage, but he may die. I can only hope Crunch does enough damage. Blissey/Slowbro wall him, but the problem is they can't do enough damage BACK. And since rain comes out on the switch for him, Aron can't kill him unless my opponent is being dumb and lets it happen or it's his last Pokémon and I've already switched in TTar or Hippowdon for sand. Also, if he runs Hypnosis and I manage to catch that and bounce it back with Espy and hit, it's a free KO or switch unless he wakes up right away.

[​IMG] - Magic Guard really is dumb. Really, really, really dumb. It's the only thing that really can potentially shut my team down. So, Alakazam, coincidentally, has more speed than anyone on my team, and thus can take anyone down except Blissey and Aron. Now, Blissey can wall him to hell (even with Psyshock), and I will play the stall game, despite how risky it is since he'll be fishing for crits, and eventually Blissey will lose 1v1 against Alakazam because he usually packs Psyshock AND Focus Blast, both able to do about 3/8 to Blissey's health with LO, and with Magic Guard, he takes no residual damage from Sandstorm, Toxic, a burn, or LO. If he misses with Focus Blast, I can kill him with anyone. If he runs out of Focus Blast, he's a free KO via TTar. So, all I can do is hope he runs out of PP for both Psyshock and Focus Blast.

I'm sure there are more counters, and any you can find would really be appreciated so I know what to look out for in the future.

Conclusion

That's it! It was a lot of work, but I had fun doing it. Thanks for reading all of this, and I hope I get some constructive feedback! I also hope you all enjoyed reading this, and I hope some of you don't feel shame and use Aron and laugh in utter joy as you plow through 2-3 Pokémon. LOL.
  2. Xyless

Xyless

Welcome to (posting on) Smogon forums, Kappy! Glad you finally shared this team!

Your team is very frustrating to fight, though watching you play most of the time, you always hide Aron longer than you should in many cases. He's pretty much worthless end-game if the opponent can plan ahead or simply gets lucky and has a sub or a ghost. Not to mention, having an Aron available for switch-in after a faint practically FORCES switches to a counter against Aron, which should be abused to bait his counters as early as possible.
  3. Temporal

Temporal

lol aron=p. He is just so cuddly and deadly=p. Put the 252 ev into attack since you have shell bell. you'll want to gain back that 11 hp. (I believe aron has 12hp at level 1? right?). That way he can re-use his sturdy ability and endeavor combo. Then again if the opponent only has 1hp you're only gaining 1 hp back=p.Nice being immune to toxic. If aron could learn roar damn=(... Anyways, that's my suggestion for that little guy.

I have to say I usually love Xatu over espeon as it has a great ground immunity and bug neutrality and 4x resist against fight. Also it is way better at dual screening and then Roosting off damage. your team seems more stall orientated that is why I feel a xatu @ light clay
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Roost
    Night Shade/u-turn

or

Xatu @ flame orb
    Reflect
    Light screen
    Pyscho Shift
    Roost
    Since xatu can't be taunt great at shifting burn onto others and stalling out burn and ss damage =D!

*forgot this* Ev: 252hp,100def,158 spec Def. for both sets w/ a bold nature or calm nature *your prefence, as you just swap def evs for nature.*
  4. Kappy

Kappy

I changed your set a little, Temporal. The reason why Espy was so good was because she could OHKO hazard users, and I would be free from hazards for the rest of the match. Your sets of Xatu can't do that, so I gave Xatu HP Fire and Shadow Ball over Dual Screening. I don't want to stall out hazard users and give them a chance to switch and come back in later - I want to KO them right there and end it after reflecting.

And even though I don't want to replace Espy... I will test out Xatu to see if she's better. Psycho Shift could prove invaluable.

And Endeavor doesn't need Atk. It makes your opponent's HP your HP, so at full HP I will always recover 11. And yes, he has 12 HP at lvl 1. LOL.

Thanks for your comments! Good to know my first comment not someone I know IRL doesn't hate on Aron! :)
  5. Temporal

Temporal

ah I forgot endeavor + shell bell would recover the hp lol=p. my bad! gl w/ xatu! =D
  6. Xyless

Xyless

And just to point out the elephant in the room (standard Aron FEAR stuff, but worth mentioning), Aron is most useful in this team when Sandstorm is in effect, as Endeavor takes the opponent to 1-12 HP (whatever your HP is at the time), then sandstorm takes 1/16th of the opponent's total health, which is MOST LIKELY going to be over 12 HP. And if the opponent has even a decent pool of HP left prior to Endeavoring, using Endeavor will fully heal Aron, thus making him a proverbial tank unless they send out a counter to him (mainly ghosts).

Thus, if Aron has his way, he can one-shot practically the whole team.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)