1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!

Art for Articles

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by macle, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluehoundoom

bluehoundoom

First off, I really like your color choices and expressions. You did a really good job in that.
    But, I feel that you could make it a bit neater; I feel like it has been rushed almost. First off, your lineart doesn't seem to touch each other and I feel it gives this piece a rather unclean look. So, I would probably connect those lines to each other. Also, I would pay attention the "solidifying" the coloring a bit more for your figures so the background color doesn't show through them. If you do, then the piece would be tidier. Speaking of background, it seems a bit too scribbly for my liking so may I suggest putting the lines facing downward left? By having that, it will make your piece more dynamic. Furthermore, Zorua and Sandile seem to have abnormally large forearms and it doesn't seem natural to me so maybe shorten them a bit. Finally, your lineart in generally could use work and I would pay attention to line overlaps (i.e. I see some here) and take your time to erase them if you find any because if you leave them, they will make your pieces unclean.
    Hope this helps and as for the Uber Stall, I shall work on that ASAP! :)
  2. macle

macle &Vinc2612: to all lc players: is EQ gligar common?
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

i agree with bluehoundoom
  3. Andrew

Andrew Based Droid
    is an Artist

this thread needs new links or something
    tl;dr I'm too lazy to figure out what they all say beneath the mountains of code
  4. Andrew

Andrew Based Droid
    is an Artist

5. macle

is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

6. sandshrewz

sandshrewz
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

macle you have site staff u_u!!!
  7. Andrew

Andrew Based Droid
    is an Artist

i guess this is going to be pretty obsolete in two days but I still wanted to do a couple of them before 6th gen rolls around
    OU Speed Tiers
    [​IMG]
  8. Blue Frog

Blue Frog Will Be Your Downfall
    is a Pre-Contributor

Andrew and Turtleye like this.
  9. Bummer

Bummer is an uttermost cowboy
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Super Moderator

I'll always vouch for text-less images, so I'd suggest removing "Argh, almost had it", and possible the "Boink" too. And unless the Ultra ball is shot out of its chest, you might want to connect another line to the impact point to indicate from what direction it was thrown.
  10. Blue Frog

is a Pre-Contributor

ok, included a version with the "boink" still there, because I'm not quite sure about the completely text-free version just yet

[​IMG]

with boink (open)
    [​IMG]

which one looks better?
  11. macle

sandshrewz upload andrews. iirc i uploaded blue frogs
  12. sandshrewz

sandshrewz
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Uploaded andrew's and Blue Frog's Ho-OH. macle :|
  13. Agous

Agous

Hi. I found that there was even a Psychological Warfare Article. Even if I don't get anything out of it, I would like to submit this piece for that article, despite it not being up there:
    [​IMG]
    Edit: Put Alakazam's Mustache on XD
    And if nothing has been done for it yet I would like to reserve LC speed tiers.

I did the piece anyways:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  14. sandshrewz

sandshrewz

macle do you approve of the above? :o!
  15. macle

i like the first one but the second one is kinda iffy. elekid's body shape is messed up
  16. Agous

Agous

So you can do what you want with the first one. I can completely redo the second in the same theme but in a different position? But then can you put me down on the list to reserve?
  17. macle

yeah just redo it.
  18. Bummer

Bummer is an uttermost cowboy
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Super Moderator

My biggest concern with that last image is how even though all three are vastly different in shape and physique, they're virtually pictured moving the same, almost appearing stationarye apart from those white motion lines. Voltorb could have been shown rolling, Diglett could have pieces of ground spraying directly behind it along with a ditch created in its path, and Elekid wouldn't have both of its legs in front of it if it were running. So if you want to make things easier for you, I'd suggest drawing each of them on a winner pedestal to illustrate the difference in speed.
  19. Agous

Agous

I'll be onto the other pieces eventually. I just did something for NU Sun (http://www.smogon.com/bw/articles/bw_nu_sun)
    I have two pieces, idk which is better; I'll let you decide:
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. macle

we can add both of them to the article. I like them
  21. Agous

Agous

Dude thats awesome. Thanks! We have to wait for Sandshrewz to upload; He still hasn't uploaded the alakazam yet.
  22. Sephirona

Sephirona t-t-t-tubearrific. (✿≖ᴗ≖) ・゚✧*:・゚✧
    is an Artist

23. macle

24. sandshrewz

sandshrewz

Uploaded Agous alakzam and nu sun art. Thanks for submitting! :)
  25. Blue Frog

is a Pre-Contributor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)