Art for Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Good job raikou00! It is uploaded and thanks for helping out ^_^ taken down >.>

Also Bummer that is awesome ahaha x) many thanks for contributing so many pieces to a4a! :)

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
uploaded Bummer! Sorry to say that it couldn't be on the side of the words as there was no space .-. The best place to put it was at the long paragraph after the first box, but the forumla was wrapped in <pre> tags, which meant that it would overlap the image :/ the next best place was beside the table of contents so that's where I went ahead with. I hope you're okay with that! :x Thanks again Bummer :)

Arceus is also uploaded, raikou00. However, bad news is macle requested to take down the art for the underground guide as he said it was not up to par :d I hope you understand. The status one is not uploaded because it was too simple. If you're still interested, you might want to take an approach similar to the one in this article. Don't let it deter you from submitting more though! :)

Anyway, anymore interested artists willing to do art? ^_^

Hmm, can I take the BW Tips and Tricks article? I only really draw traditional, but I can transparentize or fully whiten the background if you like. (Or draw a background, I suppose.)

I have an idea involving the three Unova starters, with Snivy lecturing, Tepig asleep and drooling, and Oshawott with headphones on. :3

@Ium

The shading of the water makes it look like the water is taller than the ground itself. Try showing the rim of ice to imply the correct depth.

I have slightly mixed opinions on this one. Here it is with the original scan background on.

ium- I love it. I agree that the water looks raised, but I think it's just the darker shading you have. Some sort of rim around it- whether ice or a rocky surrounding- or removing the shading and trying shading elsewhere (in the middle of it maybe?), would probably work. I think. It's such a cute picture though and certainly fits the article. Nice job! :3

we both have Tepig in ours; they shall fight for dominance

Tips and Tricks redux. I like it, myself, especially compared. :P

EDIT: Smudges in "corner" removed.
The idea was a kinda rounded perspective (the floor looks a bit bulgy) or rounded room since I didn't want to go with a plain old regular square classroom. Maybe it does look a little off because of it, but - apologies to Eagle4 - I ultimately prefer this one too much to revert to the old one. I'd rather start again from scratch with a more normal floor and wall pattern than go back! The lack of a ballpoint pen really hurt my lineart on the first one- if I did go back to that image, I'd rather trace over it and start again that way than just go with that horrifying lineart. :P

Also, I pretty much agree with everything Zracknel said. (To be honest, the reason behind the text overlay for Snivy was because the original writing wouldn't stay legible after transparentizing. That's why there are little artifacts in the text; I missed a few pixels of the original penning.)

Technically, I think all it would take to make the floor look less bulgy would be to draw over the floor in a less drastic curve. I could try that if it would help.

@CBMeadow: I actually prefer your first one. Unless you're trying to create a dizzy, out-of-perspective look to the piece, the dimensions and angles are all wrong. The wall looks like it's leaning backwards/ not firmly on the ground, and I'm not sure why there's a blank space above the wall, it looks weird.

I also liked the positions of the pokemon on your first piece, and the text background you added was a clever touch.

@ium: Instead of a water pool, how about fishing in a river/stream instead. I think it will look better. (It's a bit unorthodox to see a fire starter in cold, icy terrain, which your art portrays. Grass and more rocks would be appreciated.

@CBMeadow: I actually prefer your first one. Unless you're trying to create a dizzy, out-of-perspective look to the piece, the dimensions and angles are all wrong. The wall looks like it's leaning backwards/ not firmly on the ground, and I'm not sure why there's a blank space above the wall, it looks weird.

I also liked the positions of the pokemon on your first piece, and the text background you added was a clever touch.
I respectfully disagree with this critique; I much prefer the second image

"incorrect" perspective maybe, but since it's a piece done in traditional media, I feel like by the fact that there's a background running throughout the whole thing (and fewer edges that "cut" into transparency) makes it feel more polished overall. The places where the outlines in the previous piece met the transparent spaces looked jagged and digitally altered. I thought that those edges were a weakness in the last piece that were addressed nicely here.

I like the added color details in each of the pokemon, and I like their outline weight (or line thickness) better as well.

The white space does not bother me and I don't think it looks weird. I might consider scrubbing out those smudges and that bit of paper texture, though, since I don't think those add to the piece (though I can understand if there's no way to remove them that looks good).

I didn't care much for the text behind snivy in the previous piece-- while I feel like sometimes the whole "digital vs traditional" contrast thing works, I thought those elements kind of clashed. I thought that the idea behind it was nice, though!

I'd support using the second image used over the first :)

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
im going to have to reject. the linework is sloppy in both of them and the duplicate image being smushed in the first one looks bad.

Can someone tell me how this works? I see articles from 2010 and I'm not sure if they still need art? Also I see some articles on the site that are for 5th gen, but currently doesn't have any art.

Whenever I see a post asking a question it gets ignored. I would love to contribute I just want to know what the deal is.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I put a little something together for the BW status guide. Sorry for the large bump.

:statusguide:

Feedback is appreciated. At the moment I feel I will probably try to improve the dream cloud.

I did this now for the hail stall.

:dphailstallguide:
It's nice to see new contributions, and this thread was in due time for a bump anyway so that's nothing to apologise for. :)

First off, while it's possible to make decent art contributions with MSPaint, the tools you've used has made for some rather gritty images. I assume you've drawn the lineart with your mouse, which can easily mess up the symmetry of the pokemon drawn, as well making it hard to keep the lines smooth. Thick brushes with stiff edges in particular makes the latter a very difficult task. And while brush effects can be used to cause effects of things like spore and hail, the spray tool is unfit of such a task as the pixels are too small compared to the drawn images, and gives no depth and instead looks like you just added it on top of things.

Art of this kind is a welcome sight in community activities, such as the Fight thread, Secret Santa and Pokemon Makeover (but you already know that), but I'm afraid it doesn't reach up to the standard of what we want to put onto the site. Take a look among the various pieces in the Smog issues or articles which already has art on-site, and you can get a general idea of the bare minimum we're striving for here.

Thanks for taking your time and effort to make these, and I hope this rejection won't hold you back from improving!

Whenever I see a post asking a question it gets ignored. I would love to contribute I just want to know what the deal is.
If you know of an article which has no art yet, simply post in this thread that you want to make art for it, along with a description of what that image be contain. Multiple people can make several art for the same article.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd say the image quality is pretty nice! Although I'm not sure how much psychological warfare is required in a round of jeopardy.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
im gonna use the art! its awesome hichez. I might use it in a different article just because of what bummer said.

Here is an updated one. I made things look less blue in this one. That was kinda off-setting in the last one. I also fixed the spelling.

While playing Jeopardy you are battling 2 other players using your knowledge of categories. And if the 2 other opponents sense that you have a deep knowledge of one category they are more reluctant to buzz in. I'm sure you guys know how to play. XD. I trust your judgement though. There is very little of the art part in the picture. Maybe I should have done Alakazam playing chess?

Since I have a ton of free time for the holidays I decided to produce another one for Guide to Sun in BW NU. It is still a WIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)