Contents:

Press CTRL and F to search for a topic.

I- A Brief History
II- Introduction
III- Controlling the Nature/Gender/Ability
IV- Manipulation
V- Conclusion

I- A Brief History

Some of you may be wondering how this guide, concept, and idea came to life in the first place.

This section, ‘A Brief History’ is the short history of how I started this study.

I was breeding for a shiny Pichu, and after many trial and error, I finally quit. I went through at least 60 eggs. I looked at the many babies I was about to release, when I thought Why not look at all of the babies and compare? And I did just so.

After a long time of comparing babies, and I started to think. Could I somehow find a way or time when I could manipulate the stats of a baby the way I wanted?

We all encounter the problem of getting the Nature we wanted, but horrible IV’s.

I discovered a way to change that problem.

II- Introduction

As I stated above, we all encounter the problem of getting the Nature that was wanted, but horrible IV’s, and then have to start over again and get lucky. The method I created is a very helpful solution. Although this guide is for the more serious breeders, this should be taken into consideration for any Pokemon trainer to eventually get the elite baby with maxed out IV’s.

Before I start talking about my study, here are some tips to make your breeding process while using this method easier:

-Having either Magmar, Slugma, Magcargo, Magby, or Camerupt on your team will half the number of steps needed to hatch an egg.
-When you exit the Daycare Center, walk 2 steps down, and take out your Mach Bike. Ride back and forth for a clear path to hatch an egg.
-Try to find a Ditto with the same nature of the female you want to breed with. The baby will always have the same nature as the female as long as the Ditto is holding an Everstone.

III- Controlling the Nature/Gender

Instead of explaining my trial and error, I will simply give a description of how my theory works.

Example:

Minun - Mother (F) @ None
Trait: Minus
Nature: Careful
HP 22 SpAt 11
Atk 10 SpDe 13
Def 9 Spd 15

• Growl
  • Thunder Wave
  • Quick Attack
  • Helping hand

Minun - Father (M) @ None
HP 21 SpAt 10
Atk 10 SpDe 11
Def 9 Spd 15

• Growl
  • Thunder Wave
  • Quick Attack
  • Helping hand

In this instance, I’m trying to breed for a Minun with a Serious Nature, be a female, and have great IV’s.

I put the two in the Day Care Center, and got the egg. I hatched it, and here were the results:

Minun - Baby (F) @ None
HP 21 SpAt 11
Atk 10 SpDe 13
Def 9 Spd 15

• Growl
  • Thunder Wave
  • Quick Attack
  • Helping hand

The baby has the nature and gender I wanted, but with generally lower IV’s than I want.

Now, normally, you would hatch another egg, and hope for the same Nature and Gender, but different IV’s.

After hatching egg after egg, I started to save in front of the Old Man (When he walks out of the gate of the Day Care Center to notify you that an egg has been created.) and reset. Time and time again, I’d look at the babies, until after about 15 times of hatching the ‘same’ baby, I noticed that the IV's of the baby changed, but the Nature, Ability, and Gender always stayed the same. This led me to this idea:

The Gender, Ability and the Nature of the baby are set before you talk to the Old Man. Also, there are two times when the game decides the traits of your baby (Being the Gender and Nature). They are:

1: When the Old Man is about to give you the egg. (When he steps out of the fence to notify you an egg has been created.)

2: And when you talk to the Old Man to receive your egg.

I hatched exactly 126 eggs to prove my theory, and every time, it worked.

IV- Manipulation

My discovery makes a few things that were out of reach or hard now possible and easy. They are:

1: Level 30 tournament and Battle Frontier breeders can get the Nature and Gender they want, set it, and breed out for max IV’s to ensure a victory.
2: Breeding for a baby with the preferred Gender and Nature with good IV’s is now easier.
3: Maxing out a certain stat is now much more simpler.
4: EV’s can now be fully utilized with an elite baby using this method.

This theory is still relatively new, so play around with it, and I’m positive you’ll find a way to use it to benefit your own needs.

V- Conclusion

This theory was discovered almost on pure accident, so I consider myself lucky to be given the opportunity to discover it myself.

The idea that Nature and Gender can be controlled is amazing, and I hope that all breeders come to realize this feature’s full potential.

I’d like to thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy my discovery.

You can contact me at:

Bncrll@yahoo.com

AIM: roboticitallion
YIM: Bncrll@yahoo.com
MSN: icetz@hotmail.com

- Pokefab

This belongs in Contributions & Corrections. Good job on the writing, you'll have to include more about DVs though.

Great job on the guide. Does need a bit of rewriting, but that's because the doc. is a rough draft (right?).
I had no idea that the gender and nature were controllable. Too bad I can't have five eggs of Pokemon with the nature I want!

I have been fooling around with breeding a bit myself, trying to get Wobbie with high defensive IV's (aka DV's). From what I observe, each stat's IV is determined by one of these:
Father's IV
Mother's IV
Random
Each one has an equal chance of being passed on to the child. However, I only see 2~3 IV's being passed from either parent (thus half the IV's are random). I'll have to do some testing to see if this is correct, or if I may have missed something. (Wynaut can't breed, thus you must evolve them, and I can't keep track of EV's. Thus, I have no way of telling the parent's IV's without testing them before training.)

Regarding the child's move set, I believe that moves learned at a later level by the baby can be obtained from the male. However, moves learned at or before level 5 override these UNLESS both parents know the move(s) in question. Again, I am just speculating from my two-second observations.

Thanks for the tip of halving an egg's hatch time by having specific Pokemon in your party. I'll use one of those instead of Swellow (I won't be flying anywhere, right?).

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I understood that 3 DVs will be taken from the parents and the other 3 will be random.

Edit: You're right about the moveset, moves are inherited from the father, but only if the pokemon would learn them at a later stage anyway or they are in its "egg moves".

There's a 50% chance of an IV being random, 25% chance for an IV to be passed from mother, and 25% for father.

Fig

Needs to stop disappearing.
is a Contributor Alumnus
The previous few posts are partially right on the moves. As far as level up moves go, both parents must know the move for the baby to have it. The father must know the egg move of the baby, and TMs known by the father will be passed if the baby can learn them. That means Charizard will NOT pass on earthquake to a charmander baby.

You all can basically disregard the second study. I wrote that LONG before I was introduced to more intelligent people (Like here.) than on Serebii or the NSider.

The first study is my main idea, becuase I basically found it out.

Couple of suggestions:

Put all the stats of the Pokemon on one line, or shorten the list. I can barely read it. Also, some other formatting adjustments that people are used to. For example:
Minun - Mother (F) @ None
HP _22 _SpAt 11
Atk 10 _SpDe 13
Def _9 _Spd _15

• Growl
  • Thunder Wave
  • Quick Attack
  • Helping hand

Use the [list=I] tag for your headings. Example:
  • A Brief History
  • Introduction
  • Controlling the Nature/Gender/Ability
  • Manipulation
  • Conclusion

Other list options are: i, 1, a, A, (nothing).

Stuff like that. Just my suggestions, to make the document look more professional, not to mention a bit readable.
(Yes, I used nasty formatting tricks which might not work in some cases, but who cares?)

Edit: Found an error:
In this instance, I’m trying to breed for a Pichu with a Serious Nature, and have great IV’s.
Pichu? Should be Minun.

Do you know if the Pokemon's Ability is set when you receive the egg, or when the man steps out? That might be something to add.
Also, I don't really understand what the "Manipulation" section means. There are a little more than a billion (literally) IV possibilities, so how would getting the proper nature help in IV development?

Thanks for the fixes and help.. I'm doing some editing right now.

Also, about the Manipulations section, this just isn't for IV's, it's for creating the ideal baby, so Nature comes into play there.

Pokefab said:
Thanks for the fixes and help.. I'm doing some editing right now.

Also, about the Manipulations section, this just isn't for IV's, it's for creating the ideal baby, so Nature comes into play there.
You're welcome.

I still don't understand the fourth section:
Thang said:
... can get the Nature and Gender they want, set it, and breed out for max IV’s to ensure a victory.
How would you "breed out for max IV's?" I don't understand; maybe it's because I don't play Emerald. :confused:

Anyways, so far you are formatting 'wrong' (as far as the stats go). Use underscores colored to match the background to align the stats properly.

strager said:
How would you "breed out for max IV's?" I don't understand; maybe it's because I don't play Emerald. :confused:
You kinda cant. You have to be SUPER lucky to do something like that. Like I bred for Leech Seed Lotad for a long time, and used a Shroomish with a 31 in HP and a Lombre with a 31 in Sp. Def, and it took me a LONG time to get the baby with the 31 in the 2 stats I wanted it in. It's been posted before but the baby gets half of its IV's at RANDOM, so the only way to get the max IVs where you want them is to have the parents with the "flawless" stats to begin with.

Thus, I have no way of telling the parent's IV's without testing them before training.
Not any exact numbers, but the "master breeder" in the battle frontier can let you know how the IV's look overall, by telling you things like "this pokemon has better-than-average" ability, and if you have 31's by calling the stat "flawless". If you have more than one, you have to talk to him about your bouncing baby hatchling more than once.

Someone on serebii made a chart to track EV's, too, I should go flag that down real fast...

This has all been known for quite a while, but if it can't be found on Smogon yet then it would be cool if it was now.

And perfect stats isn't about being "totally" lucky. It didn't take me long to get a kickass Aerodactyl by using a 30 att/31 speed pidgeotto and the Aerodactyl from cinnabar with 30 HP. After a few hours I had my kickass Aerodactyl with 70 power hp flying.

I did the same with Gyarados but that was just plain easy because of being common you can easily get a 31 att magikarp and another with 30 speed.

Oh and a key thing for breeding is a 31 HP/Speed Ditto. It owns since everything basicly needs HP and speed IVs. Just annoying when you need to breed a move or need a certain HP.

You just have to nail the right random numbers and your set. I always seem to get 20+ IVs for the other stats, which is good enough for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)