Not open for further replies.

Burd

QC: //
GP: /

Overview
########
  • Great Stats across the board
  • Received Freeze Dry this Gen, allowing it to hit Water types SE
  • Glaring weakness to Stealth Rock, and it's typing gives it a lot of common weaknesses
  • Faces competition from Regice

Offensive
########
name: Offensive
move 1: Hurricane
move 2: Freeze-Dry
move 3: Roost
move 4: U-turn / Substitute
ability: Pressure
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Freeze Dry hits Water types that Ice Beam can't, although Ice Beam has more power.
  • Roost is to improve longevity, since Articuno has great bulk and can take a lot of neutral hits.
  • Hurricane is a second great STAB that hits everything hard.
  • U-Turn is to gain momentum, although Substitute can be used to improve time on the field

Set Details
========
  • Articuno can utilize an all out attacking set, and it hits like a truck with Life Orb
  • Timid nature and max Speed is to outspeed base 80s
  • A fantastic member of the Volt-Turn combo
  • Unlike most all out attackers, Articuno has great bulk that allows it to take multiple hits

Usage Tips
========
  • AVOID STEALTH ROCKS
  • Make sure other Pokemon with higher Speed don't hit you with a SE hit, especially a Rock type attack
  • Hurricane hits everything HARD, especially with a Life Orb. Try to avoid Pokemon like Lickilicky, one of the few Pokemon who can tank a hit.
  • U-Turn doesn't hit too hard, but it helps gain momentum if you predict a switch

Team Options
========
  • Hazard Control again
  • Anything that hits hard on the physical side, such as Sneasel and Tauros work great, as they allow you to hit Special walls that might annoy Articuno.
  • Roselia and Garbordor are helpful for setting up Toxic Spikes
  • Ninetales works as a fantastic team mate, since it has Psyshock to hit special walls and Fire moves to hit Steel types

Substitute + Toxic
########
name: Substitute + Toxic
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Toxic
move 4: Freeze-Dry
item: Leftovers
evs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
nature: Calm

Moves
========
  • Substitute allows Articuno to avoid major damage on SE hits, especially on an opponent's switch.
  • Toxic can wear down opponents that Articuno has a hard time damaging
  • Roost is Articuno's most reliable recovery, allowing longer longevity.
  • Freeze-Dry is Articuno's primary STAB, and it allows it to hit bulky water types much more efficiently.

Set Details
========
  • Articuno's Sub-Roost set can be a big pain to stall teams that rely on Toxic.
  • Leftovers is to maximize Articuno's time on the field, since Substitute can wear down your heal easily.
  • The Speed EVs are to outspeed base 55s.
  • Pressure is actually helpful, as opponents will have to use up all of their attacks just to break the Sub.

Usage Tips
========
  • Avoid Stealth Rocks at all cost.
  • Keeping Articuno near full health is vital, as most SE hits will take a huge chunk out
  • Set up a Substitute as soon as possible
  • Use entry hazards. It makes Articuno's job easier since Freeze-Dry doesn't hit too hard.

Team Options
========
  • Having a Rapid Spinner or Defogger on your team is almost mandatory.
  • Anything that can set up Stealth Rocks and / or Spikes, such as Garbordor.
  • Pokemon that can set up screens also help, since Articuno has amazing bulk, making it harder to break a Sub

Other Options
########
  • Agility Sweeper
  • Choice Specs
  • Choice Scarf
  • Defog / Heal Bell support

Checks & Counters
########
  • **Stealth Rocks** Stealth Rocks make Articuno's job nearly impossible, as every switch-in costs half of your health.
  • **Special Walls** Special walls such as Lickilicky can wall Articuno to hell and back, but they have to be careful due to Toxic.
  • **Steel Types** Most Steel types can easily take Articuno's dual STABs, although they must be wary of Confusion from Hurricane.

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Set Formatting needs to be corrected.

Substitute + Roost
########
name: Substitute + Roost
move 2: Roost
move 3: Hurricane

Set Formatting needs to be corrected.

Substitute + Roost
########
name: Substitute + Roost
move 2: Roost
move 3: Hurricane
Oops, sorry. Fixed /.\
Don't know how I missed that.

K, moving to quality control since I actually know what I'm doing this time lol
Idk if Scarf deserves a set since it might be out-classed, feel free to yell at me if it doesn't.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So I'm not a fan of the sets that you currently have going here, you have a move set for the first one that looks fairly similar to Sub Toxic except you are having it play as an offensive set. Scarf just doesn't seem good to me and I think should be no more than an oo mention. I think the set order should go offensive and then sub toxic as both of these sets are more viable than the ones listed above from my play testing with Articuno.

Offensive
########

Ice + Flying coverage is amazing offensively and the point in the overview about a barren move pool makes no sense as it has all the coverage it could possibly want. With an Ice Beam + Defog slash mentioned in moves as I am pretty sure Freeze-Dry isn't compatible with Defog.

Sub Toxic
########
name: Sub Toxic
evs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe

This thing is ridiculously bulky and decently fast and can stall out multiple things with Toxic, Freeze-Dry provides the best coverage but is pretty weak.

So I'm not a fan of the sets that you currently have going here, you have a move set for the first one that looks fairly similar to Sub Toxic except you are having it play as an offensive set. Scarf just doesn't seem good to me and I think should be no more than an oo mention. I think the set order should go offensive and then sub toxic as both of these sets are more viable than the ones listed above from my play testing with Articuno.

Offensive
########

Ice + Flying coverage is amazing offensively and the point in the overview about a barren move pool makes no sense as it has all the coverage it could possibly want. With an Ice Beam + Defog slash mentioned in moves as I am pretty sure Freeze-Dry isn't compatible with Defog.

Sub Toxic
########
name: Sub Toxic
evs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe

This thing is ridiculously bulky and decently fast and can stall out multiple things with Toxic, Freeze-Dry provides the best coverage but is pretty weak.
Alright, changed the Scarf set to the offensive set, but on the second one, before I put it in, do you think Hurricane deserves a slash after Freeze Dry? It has much more immediate power even though it's not an offensive set, just wondering. Probably doesn't need it but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Freeze-Dry isn't there to actually try to get lots of damage on anything, its there to get chip damage against as many things as possible and to try to KO things at low HP that are trying to switch in on Articuno. Freeze-Dry provides the best coverage and should probably remain the only slash, if other QC members want it then they can say something but thats a no from me.

May wanna suggest Roselia/Garbodor as good teammates because Articuno's niche I think is Toxic Spikes stall/semi-stall,and it does wonders on those kind of teams imo. Just Sub/Roost/Ice Beam/Roar should do nicely,mention Defog'er I guess...not that NU has any good ones except Togetic :(

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
May wanna suggest Roselia/Garbodor as good teammates because Articuno's niche I think is Toxic Spikes stall/semi-stall,and it does wonders on those kind of teams imo. Just Sub/Roost/Ice Beam/Roar should do nicely,mention Defog'er I guess...not that NU has any good ones except Togetic :(
This is PU by the way and there is also Pelipper, Mantine, Swanna even though they're all weak to Stealth Rock.

edit: Vullaby too.

Already put things that can set up hazards in the Team Options, but I'll add those two in. Toxic would be helpful for the offensive set

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Offensive should be listed first, then SubToxic. SubToxic should also have 16 Speed EVs to outspeed neutral max Speed base 55s.

Ares

b-b-b-but Garbodor is in PU :( (or is it not anymore?)
I mean the Pokemon you mentioned are all in PU right now but you made it sound like this was an NU analyses which it is not. Also Garbodor may rise to NU from the Usage Stats, don't know for sure.

I mean the Pokemon you mentioned are all in PU right now but you made it sound like this was an NU analyses which it is not. Also Garbodor may rise to NU from the Usage Stats, don't know for sure.
it will almost certainly rise if last month was any indication

anyway scorpdestroyer has used agility before, it might be worth a main set but i haven't used it so i'm not sure.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
before I tell decide whether or not Agility deserves a set (it's great but Regice gives it competition :<) I want you to expand Usage Tips and Team Options for both sets. Also, Carbink is definitely not a teammate that i would recommend for the second set; surely you can think of better ones.

Your Set Details for the second set should mention the Speed EVs outrun neutral base 55s such as ______

Montsegur is SubToxic with a defensive spread actually that good? I would rather use a more offensive spread to smack stuff with STABs and still avoid the sub breaking vs weak stuff with maybe some bulk investment. Any good reason to use it over offensive SubRoost?

Ares

Montsegur is SubToxic with a defensive spread actually that good? I would rather use a more offensive spread to smack stuff with STABs and still avoid the sub breaking vs weak stuff with maybe some bulk investment. Any good reason to use it over offensive SubRoost?
Yeah it's actually ridiculously bulky and has put in some good work when I used it. And the point is to wear down walls like Lickilicky and avalugg, where as sub offensive is more to force a switch sub up and ease prediction.

Bumping this to say that the sets should be subroost and agility. subtoxic just seems like a worse subroost since it has more offensive power, and damaging things slowly doesn't really work well with articuno because it is forced out by so many common things so it's better off just 2hkoing them with its strong stab moves. if another qc member has used subroost and thinks it's good enough for a set then i guess you can leave it.

agility definitely deserves a set because it outspeeds scarf tauros at +2 and has strong secondary stab unlike its speed boosting ice type friends.

make these the sets (maybe save subroost somewhere else in case someone else approves it) and i'll qc this Recreant

Bumping this to say that the sets should be subroost and agility. subtoxic just seems like a worse subroost since it has more offensive power, and damaging things slowly doesn't really work well with articuno because it is forced out by so many common things so it's better off just 2hkoing them with its strong stab moves. if another qc member has used subroost and thinks it's good enough for a set then i guess you can leave it.

agility definitely deserves a set because it outspeeds scarf tauros at +2 and has strong secondary stab unlike its speed boosting ice type friends.

make these the sets (maybe save subroost somewhere else in case someone else approves it) and i'll qc this Recreant
Dropped this, someone else can take it. I have a few other C&C things to do, and I got busy and a bit bored of PU. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)