ArtJustArt - The Art of DougJustDoug

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll admit, I didn't particularly like any of the artwork except Koffing just looking at the thumbnails.

Then I scrolled down a bit and saw each one full size.

Wow.

Your artwork gets really amazing when I get to see the actual detail. I'm looking forward to Scizor and Mewtwo!

Max

yadig
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
woah, this stuff is awesome. My favorites are the Koffing, and the yet-to-be-colored Skarmory. =)

Incredible garchomp, we finally see the landshark how he was intended to be.

Still waiting for the colored version of swampert, it's my favorite so far.

I'm fucking stoked on how metal looking those poke are. I think the Golden rule of pokemon is, the more bad ass and metal looking it is, the better.

I love the slim-fast bad-ass, version of Swampert. It's sweet.

The thumbnails don't give any justice to how good they actually are.

It's all really impressive. I'm looking forward to Mewtwo also. WOo.

Do Salamence, cmon, the other OU dragon needs some love!

Draw him from a fish-eye view (down looking up) flapping, with a massive draco meteor storm crashing down from a eerie stormy sky.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
[THREAD=35119]Click here to see my full Gallery in the OP of this thread.[/THREAD]​
Swampert

Swampert is one of the coolest pokemon in the dex. It has such great typing and the most balanced stats in the game. This thing can single-handedly wreck even the best-planned team strategies. He was arguably the most dominant force in RSE, and is still going strong in DP. Swampert is so cool to play, I decided he needed to look cool too.

Reference
Here's the game sprite and Ken Sugimori's original design:

Sketch
Click the thumbnail to see the full original sketch:

Description
I was bursting with excitement when I first sketched this design. I sat down to do a "cool" Swampert, and very quickly, a bunch of slick elements started coming together. The end result is one of the most stylized designs in my gallery. I try to avoid over-stylizing the pokes so much that they become unrecognizable. This is probably at the upper limit of what I think is acceptable.

I pushed it because all the elements just worked so well together. I think it looks like a sleek, majestic water-beast. By making the head-fins lay back, I think it looks almost like the mane of a lion. The pronounced ridges on the fins add bulk. I interpreted the face-spikes on the original design more like whiskers. I accentuated the irregular-shaped mouth and made it look almost catfish-like. I really wanted to emphasize the feet, to justify Swampert's bulk and sturdiness. I added little webs between the toes, to give the impression that this thing is an excellent swimmer.

I struggled deciding on the coloring. I really hate the light blue skin on the ingame designs. I went with a darker blue, which I think makes it look more serious and intimidating. Since most people just look at the picture and move on, I've included two "Easter Eggs" for those of you that actually read my picture descriptions. I've embedded links to two recolors of the Swampert pic. Here is a more "traditional" light blue skin coloring, and here is the shiny coloring. I think the purple used for all water shines is just too awesome, so I had to make a shiny of this guy. (Personally, I like the shiny more than the main pic).

I really like the design of this Swampert pic. I think I did a decent job on the ink and color, but the overall design is really the make-or-break feature. If you hate stylized pokemon drawings, then this one probably isn't your favorite. But, if you are into "cool pokemon", I hope you like this one as much as I do.

Woah, he looks so sleek, a great change from the sprites, I must say.

The traditional one is okay, and the purple shiny is good. The original DJD coloring looks awesome, though.

I really like how the black fins look almost rubbery.

Those tufted, mustachio-esque gills are sweet, as are the squinty eyes. He's got the spirit of a Civil War general or something.

EDIT: There is also something really intimidating about large, bulky creatures that can support themselves on their fingertips.

I like the style. It's perfectly fine that you imposed your own flair on it to that extent.

One bit about it continues to bother me though.. the webbing between his toes is just bright white.. out there, distracting and without any type of shape/shading. Compared to how finished the rest of it looks.. well it just stands out- and not in a good way.

I <3 swampert!!

Amazing Swampert. No more need for Whishcash, the Mudfish Pokemon took over his place as a catfish too. My favorite part of the entire drawing has to be the little vestigial tail inside the fin. It looks exactly like a dog's and gives the back end an alert look, which matches perfectly with his facial expression. I would be afraid to see this thing pop out of a river nearby (very likely too, I can catch Mudfish in them), unlike the cuddly version presented in the games. Amazing work, Doug.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Not much to say but you blew my mind. ;o

Also, I enjoy this version over the other two.

This picture also really captures his amphibious side that many folks forget is actually there. :(

Dude, that Swampert is fucking amazing. Seriously, my favorite so far. I've always hated Swampert's sprite, but I think I can now respect Swampert in his looks. Excellent job, just fantastic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)