ArtJustArt - The Art of DougJustDoug

aww cool! thanks ^_^

heh it's proving to be difficult but I don't think its anything out of my ability. (Who knows though as I haven't attempted the plugs yet)

Wow, I love Electricuel.
I am sorry to say doug, but I didn't feel your design to be ghostish.
OK I don't want this thread to turn into an argument and I'm sure Doug doesn't want that too. But isn't the main typing Steel? And I'm almost sure that most duel type pokemon shows more characteristics to their main typing example- Gengar, Heatran, Metagross, etc.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow this thread is awesome, I love the jolteon and the Swampert especially. You should have won the CAP7 art poll, best design, barring KoA's.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I just added a new sketch to my Gallery. Click here to see my full Gallery in the OP of this thread.

The sketch is of Ursaring. Here is a thumbnail link to it. Just click it to see the full-sized sketch.

I stylized the big bear somewhat. We'll see how it looks if I ever get around to inking and coloring it. I look forward to detailing those claws and texturing the fur. I haven't had much time for anything other than sketching over the past several weeks, so it will likely be a while before I finish this one. But I will get around to it eventually!

Desolate

Banned deucer.
Nice Urasing. I like the expression on its face and the big claws are a nice touch to it. Good luck with this thread and more of your art :]

Now THAT is what an Ursaring should look like. Much better than what GF came up with...

Nice job on all the art here, Electicruel is probably my favorite though!

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Theses are some greats drawings, I like how you change up the Pokemons facial expressions and actions to resemble how they really would act opposed to standard pose. How long have you been drawing for? Going through this thread makes me want to try, but I know they'd probably look a bit funny.

With a new found love for Skymin, I would love to see you draw it with your style.

What part of your digital coloring process do you do in Corel? Are you just adding the tecture there? I myself have corel painter essentials 4, and was wondering if what you do would be possible to duplicate in my own way in photoshop elements 6 and that. I really like the small amounts of tecture that you add onto your art.

Wow, this is just fantastic artwork! The Swampert is my favorite so far. I really like its sleek and "ready for battle" appearance. I think it's even better than the original, no offense Ken Sugimori.

Also, I really like your use of filters and textures (I'm guessing that's what you use a lot on photoshop, or do you use corel?) and your shading work is excellent. I absolutely can't wait until Skarmory, Lanturn, and Dusknoir get finished, the latter being my favorite of that group.

I did have one complaint though, Cacturne just seems waaaay to anorexic to me. Although, that's up to your own artistic interpretations, that's just my opinion. Other than that I was going to say something about Infernape, but I realized it's just me being nit-picky about humanoids.

Again, fantastic work. I wait with baited breath to see more get done, especially with CaP 8 underway I can't wait to see what you come up with.

That walrein is insane dude! The detail is jaw dropping, especially the tongue and the whiskers even though they are ice cubes.
It look as if its gonna sink those tusks into a whale or even a damn polar bear. Thank you for making it look like a bad ass pokemon ,cause honestly,the game sprites look as if it was scared of something.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
I never really bothered looking at your art thread before, but you have a lot of good stuff, I like it!

I hate bumping this topic, but I have to say something.

If I had your drawing abilities, I would create my own Pokemon Generation, and pitch it to Nintendo. Nothing against the other contributors, but I'm shocked your "Scout" Art was not victorious. That may be the greatest submission I've ever seen. I cannot wait for an opportunity to be involved with Cap9.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
[THREAD=35119]Click here to see my full Gallery in the OP of this thread.[/THREAD]​
CAP 7 - Steel/Ghost

When the typing was decided for CAP7, I knew that many other artists would flood the contest with wispy floating ghost designs. I wanted to steer clear of that completely. So I chose to make a robot that looks like a skeleton. It shows off the steel typing perfectly, while still evoking the visual imagery of the undead. The result was my most successful CAP design so far.

Sketch
(click thumbnail for full image)

Supporting Art
(click thumbnails for the full sketches)

Description
This design resulted from me making several sketches of robot skeletons, one of which had the head you see in the design above. I was hooked on the head design instantly. Unfortunately, the rest of the sketch was pretty terrible, so I took the head and built a completely new body around it. This design was basically built to show off the head, which I still think is the best part of the whole thing. Although, I must admit, I think the boots turned out pretty nifty too.

I obsessed over this design more than any other design of mine in the past. The initial sketching only took an hour or so, but I logged 30-40 hours after that working on inking, coloring, and reworks. Since the design was a robot, it was literally an obsession of mine to make this drawing as clean and precise as possible. I spent hours and hours just "noodling" (that's what I call it when I add little flourishes to a drawing that almost no one else would notice). You could argue that since this thing is supposed to be dead, that it should look a bit ragged and worn. Yeah, but there's just something cool about crisp reflections on metal that I really love -- so I went all the way with it.

The color scheme was not decided until the last minute, but I knew white would be used a lot -- on the head in particular. It really needed white to play up the skeleton angle. I don't think any other color would conjure up the same imagery. Steel blue and gold accents seemed fitting to drive home the fact that this thing is made of metal.

I spent a lot of time cooking up a backstory for this creature, and ended up writing it down in the form of a children's bedtime story:
Fable of the Steel Ghost: A Bedtime Story for Young Trainers

This design came in second place, with the final poll coming down to the wire -- my best finish in a CAP design competition so far. By the time the polls ended, I didn't really care whether it won or not. It was just great to hear all the positive feedback and to see people get behind this design I put so much work into. I had fun with the design from the very start, so all the work was really a labor of love.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
I really love the CAP 7 art, it looks amazing. Personally I would have chosen that over Kitsunoh's design.

Cool stuff. I think that the Swampert is my favourite overall here, but out of your CAP creations the flygon alternate evo really stands out to me due to its originality. It's one of those Pokemon I can actually imagine existing in the wild.

I'm of two minds when it comes to your CAP 7 design. I think it's a great piece of art, but it just doesn't look like a Pokemon to me. I know that the background story you made is an explanation for its mechanical look, but it still feels too different for me to identify it as a Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)