Artwork for Tournaments Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks. We over in the VGC section have been running a weekly tournament for the last 12 weeks and I'd like to create a mega thread for it soon detailing information about it, records, and tournament videos. I'd like some sort of piece to start the thread off with.

I'd like the image to say:

"#smogonvgc Live Tournaments"
"Every Friday, 6 PM EST"

The Pokemon featured in the image can be anything listed in the VGC viability rankings from S, A+, or A tier.

Thanks in advance!

Hi folks. We over in the VGC section have been running a weekly tournament for the last 12 weeks and I'd like to create a mega thread for it soon detailing information about it, records, and tournament videos. I'd like some sort of piece to start the thread off with.

I'd like the image to say:

"#smogonvgc Live Tournaments"
"Every Friday, 6 PM EST"

The Pokemon featured in the image can be anything listed in the VGC viability rankings from S, A+, or A tier.

Thanks in advance!
I decided to take a shot at this:
How is this? ^^;

EV

Banned deucer.
Similar the The Mantyke's request, I'd like art for the daily tours we host on Showdown in Other Metas. http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...uring-daily-tournaments.3467099/#post-5552089

The time isn't that important since it changes from 7PM EDT to EST based on DST, but if you can work it in, feel free. Also don't worry about the specific line-up since that changes. Otherwise the most important text to incorporate is "Daily OM Tours" and if there's room "On Showdown!".

Subject-wise, I'll give you the liberty to interpret OM tours however you want. 1v1 is a simple concept if you want a specific metagame to focus on.

EV

Banned deucer.
My last request kinda fell through, so if anyone wants to take it up I'd appreciate it!

Also, I have a tour on the horizon that I'd like some art for. This is my attempt:

Tournament name: The Eggbreaker Cup
Host:
Me
Projected Deadline:
TBA / couple months
Format:
OU-ish
Tournament Rules:
Pick 6 eggs from list. Battle with what hatches!
Art Direction:
Play off the design above (maybe do like a yolk dripping out and spelling the letters?) or come up with something similar/egg related

My last request kinda fell through, so if anyone wants to take it up I'd appreciate it!

Also, I have a tour on the horizon that I'd like some art for. This is my attempt:

Tournament name: The Eggbreaker Cup
Host: Me
Projected Deadline: TBA / couple months
Format: OU-ish
Tournament Rules: Pick 6 eggs from list. Battle with what hatches!
Art Direction: Play off the design above (maybe do like a yolk dripping out and spelling the letters?) or come up with something similar/egg related
I'm on it!

Reactions: EV

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Sorry to double-post but I have a new tournament in the queue.

Tournament name: ORAS Team Tournament
Host:
Me
Projected Deadline:
6-7 months
Format:
Uber, OU, UU, RU, NU, LC, Doubles.
Tournament Rules:
Teams of 8 in the above tiers (2 OU players per team, 1 for every other tier) face off against other teams to see who is the strongest clique in the ORAS generation.
Art Direction:
Completely up to the artist's discretion although, some of the newer megas being featured might be nice.

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tournament name: The Battle Factory Tour
Host: FireMage
Projected Deadline:
Soon. ORAS RU Tour is R5. I suspect Semis and then Finals. So approx 2-3 weeks.
Format: See last years tour
Tournament Rules: See last years tour
Art Direction:
I'm not after banner art per se, but i am after some art to help Jazz up the post - Mostly animated stuff I can't do myself. More specifially dividers which glow blue, like the way the floor does in the Battle Factory in Platinum/HG/SS does. I cn point out exactly what I mean / Further explain if you drop me a message n_n

Fulfilled by pastelgameboy :)

Tournament Name: SABOTAGE
Projected deadline: TBC - so approx 4-5 months.
Format: See Previous tour thread
Rules: See Tour thread

Basic rundown being - You have to ban x amount of pokémon of your opponents once you lose your match. Thus sabotaging their team / limiting their teambuilding options in further rounds.
Art direction: As much as I like the previous one (Especially the text) I feel a better link with actually sabotaging something can be made within the banner. I'll leave things up to the artist

Last edited:

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Tournament name: Another Type Restriction Tournament
Host: antemortem
Projected Deadline: after Sunset Colosseum II ends, so maybe five weeks?
Format: previous iteration
Tournament Rules: Every round, a new type will be banned (non-cumulative), and one type will be required.
Art Direction: There was no art previously, so I've nothing to base it on and no particular concept in mind atm. I'm willing to work with whatever an artist can produce.

Tournament name: ORAS Team Tournament
Host: Me
Projected Deadline: 6-7 months
Format: Uber, OU, UU, RU, NU, LC, Doubles.
Tournament Rules: Teams of 8 in the above tiers (2 OU players per team, 1 for every other tier) face off against other teams to see who is the strongest clique in the ORAS generation.
Art Direction: Completely up to the artist's discretion although, some of the newer megas being featured might be nice.
Ooo, this Let me have a crack at this one! Genesis7 , here's the WIP if you'd like to see it.
WIP for now, might add a Rayquaza and Gallade sprite somewhere on the bottom.

Do you need a banner, or just a logo in general? How does it look?(It's my first time at something like this, so I'd love constructive criticism.)Mega Absol isn't new, but it's a big enough mega to be showcased, although I was really thinking about Gallade for the main.(Sugomori Art, if it wasn't obvious. XD) As for the sprites on the bottom, they vary from gen 4 and 5, (The font at the bottom is gen 3's handiwork, as I felt making it a bit retro) and the background is the new Hoenn map from Nintendo itself.

Pent

dumb broad
Tournament name: Another Type Restriction Tournament
Host: antemortem
Projected Deadline: after Sunset Colosseum II ends, so maybe five weeks?
Format: previous iteration
Tournament Rules: Every round, a new type will be banned (non-cumulative), and one type will be required.
Art Direction: There was no art previously, so I've nothing to base it on and no particular concept in mind atm. I'm willing to work with whatever an artist can produce.
Can do sir, let me try it later on :D

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Ooo, this Let me have a crack at this one! Genesis7 , here's the WIP if you'd like to see it.

Do you need a banner, or just a logo in general? How does it look?(It's my first time at something like this, so I'd love constructive criticism.)Mega Absol isn't new, but it's a big enough mega to be showcased, although I was really thinking about Gallade for the main.(Sugomori Art, if it wasn't obvious. XD) As for the sprites on the bottom, they vary from gen 4 and 5, (The font at the bottom is gen 3's handiwork, as I felt making it a bit retro) and the background is the new Hoenn map from Nintendo itself.
Ya I'm looking for a banner, I really like this, very cool touch with the map in the background. I don't have any criticism, I think it looks great. That's some beautiful art!

Pent

dumb broad

To be completely honest, I don't recommend having a huge background like that, since it doesn't look as fitting to the thread. I feel that the Absol could also be a little less crooked since it looks, rather sloppy. Make the background just transparant so it looks fitting to the thread, and add a few shapes or decorations in general, instead of an entire background.

Looks nice, just try to improve it a little.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for participating and helping out in this thread! But even though I understand you're new at creating banners, there are several things I'd suggest to change.

Tall banners are generally a no-no since you want the readers to be able to both see the banner and read the first paragraphs of the thread in the same screenshot. Your banner is about as tall as my whole screen, meaning that anyone visiting their tournament thread must scroll past the whole thing before being to read the introduction or recent happenings. Not only is Absol significantly larger than the sprites at the bottom, there's also no need to include its entire body. Just the middle part where its head, wings and tail should suffice just fine.

Another thing I found weird is that you went to great length at applying effects to Absole and to blend it in with the background, but having the sprites at the bottom largely unchanged. It's also not recommended to have a drawings and sprites together in the same image, since you'd prefer some manner of consistency in appearance, otherwise it'll just look like you took a picture and then added stuff on top of it. Exceptions most definitely exist to this rule, but one needs experience to know how to combine the two decently without creating a huge contrast in style.

If you need suggestions for a cool font, check out dafont.com. The one you currently have is pretty generic, even if it does fit in with the sprites, but finding a font that is both readable and awesome is not difficult while browsing that site. And lastly, while ORAS is technically a re-make of the Hoenn region and its Pokemon, the ORAS meta has Pokemon from all Generations, so it's be nice to include mons from other Gens as well, and not just the third.

Thanks for helping out with this thread, and I hope your banner skills continue to improve :)

Thanks for your advice everyone! I really did need it.
I messed around with fonts, but I was stuck from the original R/S/E font to OR and AS's font. If you like those better, I'll be sure to fix it!~

Here's what the final image should look like in the end, although I feel like I put too many gen 3 pokemon in there, so I might change it before the tourney begins.

Edit- Nah, I decided against it, so I hope that you enjoy! I'm looking forward to this tourney!

So, first off, I actually made it look like a banner and not a huge blob, so something nice like 800x250 worked. I couldn't think of any other wallpapers besides this one, and yet I felt making it transparent would've been too little, although I will do that for future banners and stuff.Then I messed around with the font,(As I was strolling through Dafont.com~) as you see those two before all the sprites (After a while, I finally did realize that they do look bad, but there's not much I can do with all of that blank space without making the text look so awkwardly big.)
I put all of the sprites in, and then added effects, but not too much to make it too blurry. (I still feel like Beartic's a bit blurry and all.) But hey, how does it look now?

Last edited:

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
I messed around with fonts, but I was stuck from the original R/S/E font to OR and AS's font. If you like those better, I'll be sure to fix it!~

Here's what the final image should look like in the end, although I feel like I put too many gen 3 pokemon in there, so I might change it before the tourney begins.

So, first off, I actually made it look like a banner and not a huge blob, so something nice like 800x250 worked. I couldn't think of any other wallpapers besides this one, and yet I felt making it transparent would've been too little, although I will do that for future banners and stuff.Then I messed around with the font,(As I was strolling through Dafont.com~) as you see those two before all the sprites (After a while, I finally did realize that they do look bad, but there's not much I can do with all of that blank space without making the text look so awkwardly big.)
I put all of the sprites in, and then added effects, but not too much to make it too blurry. (I still feel like Beartic's a bit blurry and all.) But hey, how does it look now?
I liked it before and I like it even better now, thanks a ton for this!

Pent

dumb broad

That looks quite a bit better. I can barely see the text though, maybe make it a lighter color. Also, just like you said, the sprites look blurry. Maybe just add Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza for a simple touch. Lots of improvement though, which I like! :D

Pastelle

we're all star stuff

Basic rundown being - You have to ban x amount of pokémon of your opponents once you lose your match. Thus sabotaging their team / limiting their teambuilding options in further rounds.
Art direction: As much as I like the previous one (Especially the text) I feel a better link with actually sabotaging something can be made within the banner. I'll leave things up to the artist
I'll do this one ^_^ WIP to be up soon

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
Excuse my double post but I have a work in progress image for you FireMage. Its inspired by monster movie posters from the 1950's. Need to color the line art, shade do the background, etc.

This is my take on the Sabotage banner, as well as my second attempt to reply to FireMage's request.
Sabotage_banner.jpg
Whaddaya think?

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is my take on the Sabotage banner, as well as my second attempt to reply to FireMage's request.
View attachment 45196 Whaddaya think?
Im sorry I didnt get the notification I love th idea - it's right up my alley. But I think it could be executed better. For example; everything being so pointy isn't how I saw the piece going. I appreciate the effort you putr into this, though. I really do.
Excuse my double post but I have a work in progress image for you FireMage. Its inspired by monster movie posters from the 1950's. Need to color the line art, shade do the background, etc.
I love how you've stylized it - but I feel it doesn't really fit in with the theme of Sabotaging something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)