ASB Council 4 - Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
With the current term ending in 8 days, we figured its time we start this, so here we go.

The purpose of this thread will be to identify applicants for the ASB Council prior to a forum vote. By this point you all know what the council does and what you need to by on it, but the following are criteria you should fulfill before applying.

• Activity: Applicants must be consistently active in ASB. Applicants must utilise irc for the purpose of communication with fellow councilmen. Applicants must not be users prone to leaving on frequent, unannounced breaks.
  • Longevity: Applicants must have been involved with ASB for a lengthy duration of time. This duration of time is arbitrary, but important. In essence, we want council member to have an understanding of the history of ASB. If you joined ASB only recently, do not expect to be chosen.
  • Knowledge: This is a critical criterion. Applicants must be knowledgeable about the mechanics of ASB, and about balance and so forth. This can be demonstrated in various ways, including battling prowess. One must have a concept of balance in ASB, and must be rational and level-headed in such matters.
When applying, please post a little bit about why you are a worthy applicant and why you would do well on the council.

The process will be the same as last time: We will vote for the first 3 people on the council in the first vote, the 4th and 5th members in a second vote, and the 6th and 7th voters in the final vote, thereby accounting for changes in vote strategy based on prior members.

With that said, apply away! Applications will last until Monday, January 27th, 2013 at 8:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, at which point the first series of votes will occur.

Best of luck!

(no i totally didn't steal this from last time oh no sire 100% original)

Don't think I've applied to this before, but I figure now I qualify for it.

• Activity: I've been at least reasonably active ever since I joined ASB a few years ago. I did have a minor hiatus, but even then I kept tabs on this site to see how it was doing. The only times I haven't really been on I've told people I'd be gone for some period of time. Overall, I think I can be reliable activity wise.
  • Longevity: Again, I've been here almost since the beginning of ASB, and have seen many changes. From Sheer Force Cyclohm to Crush the Combee I think I can say I've been here a while.
  • Knowledge: I know a lot about this game to be sure. I kind of have to, considering I'm the Normal Gym Leader and referee a lot of matches. A lot of people consider me a good battler, and I think this has given me a good understanding of the mechanics. Most on IRC can also attest that I'm level headed, except when I'm trolling of course. Overall, I think I know enough about this game now to make reasonable decisions.
That should do it.

Never tried before either and I'm not winning lol. But oh well.

• Activity: I am usually very active here, especially around summer and everything. I may not have time to go on IRC in the late winter/early spring due to events and competitions and such, but I'll at least be here.
  • Longevity: I've left ASB once for two months, and never again since. Since I joined I've seen lots of stuff--RP locking removed, the formation of the gym league, and so forth.
  • Knowledge: I'm a decent battler and a good referee. I've gotten most of my knowledge from reffing others. I also have made two unsuccessful bids for gym leadership (although I had to leave ASB in middle of the first one), and am a former Pike and Arcade ref. Unfortunately, I don't really ref anymore.
So basically, I'm the "yolo" option here (no l Matezoide, NO FUCKING L). Normally I'd say something here but nah.

Might as well try.

Activity- I consider myself pretty active in ASB, and even though I'm a bit less active during the summertime, I'm gonna try to bring my laptop to camp this year so that I can actually go on Smogon when I want (especially with the tournament coming up, and those things are FAMOUS for taking little to no time, amirite?). I'm on irc more and more often, and I should (/me nudges IAR) have vops.
Longevity- I remember making the profiles for little Houdin, Kippy, and Squirts on Jan. 1, 2012. I may not have been here since the beginning, but I can certainly say that I have some experience.
Knowledge- Despite being banished to the nether region of BoR, I do consider myself a pretty good ref, and I'm good enough at battling to be a Gym Leader (with a win percentage of 100% until Comp wins, might I add). I am also a Hall, Arcade, and Gold Pike ref, if it says something about my skill.

Yeah, I'm kind of a yolo option here too, but you know. I'm cool. Maybe.

Geodude6

Look at my shiny CT!
No reason not to try.

- Activity/Longerivity: I've been here since Dec. 2012, not as long as some others, but still a good amount of time. I wasn't around in July, but really, I think everyone quit when the forums went down :P. I'm here all the time, and if I go on a break I'll know well in advance (most likely).
- Knowledge: I consider myself to be a good battler. I'm not quite as good as some of the other applicants, but I am good enough to be an Arcade ref, and I'd probably be a hall ref if I was a bit more timely with reffings. (which I'd like to think I'm getting better at) I can be kinda derpy at times, but usually you can expect me to have a good understanding of what's going on.

Yeah I'm basically yet another "yolo" option.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
I've been a council member since the process started, and have been given status as a moderator. Apart from the hiatus I took to deal with family issues I think everything that went into my previous applications still stands true.

Couldn't hurt to try. I don't really expect to be chosen, I just want to compete for the hell of it.

• Activity: I am a very active member, spending a lot of time each day in ASB. I am on very consistently, and I rarely am gone without Internet for more then 24 hours. I frequent IRC, and I suppose you could call me "solid" in this category. I lean towards reffing with my spare time as well. I really don't know what else to say here, but I am definitely one of the most active members here.
  • Longevity: While I may have signed on to/created a profile for ASB only mid last year, I have been lurking these boards for a while before. I have a good deal of experience that grows with each passing second, although this will honestly be my most likely downfall.
  • Knowledge: Ever since I became involved with ASB, I have absorbed knowledge like a bloated tick. I have most of the dat memorized (all sections, new and old), and I can ref with the best of them. On average I am a decent-above average ref, depending on my health and irl issues. I also tend to do well in my battles, albeit never really pushing myself to participate in any tournaments or their ilk. When my prediction/skill is on par to my foe's, I am capable of pulling off some spectacular plays.

I might as well apply. I have half-doubts that I'll get in, but its worth a shot.

Activity: I'm on nearly every day, spending some time in ASB. Almost as often, I'm on IRC, though that connection is occasionally questionable.
Longevity: I've been here for close to two years, creating my profile around March 2012.
Knowledge: I'll admit that I've made more than my fair share of mistakes and blunders in ASB, and my battling skill is questionable. But each day that I pass here is another day I learn about the mechanics, the moves, and items. When I ref, I try to update consistantly, alerting others when I'll be delayed.

• Activity: I come and go a lot, but I'll be here to stay until the end of the tournament. I try to get on irc a few times a week when I am active. If on the council, I will stay active until my term's end.
  • Longevity: I'm on page one of the old reg tower and never took a full hiatus longer than four months. Most of my smaller ones averaged a month in length.
  • Knowledge: I'm pretty good when I care about a match. I've also seen enough policy proposals come and go to get how they work.

Hello, I'm here because I won't let Texas run unchained
  • A: I check ASB daily and I'm very easy to contact, I also check IRC almost every day. Outside of Ordinaries or a strong Hurricane season I don't think you have to worry about me banishing anytime soon.
  • L: I've been here since April 24, 2011, is that enough?
  • K: I'm the dreaded Psyquic Gym :3. Other than that I also continuously check all treads on the Policy Center and try to contribute if I feel there's something I can add, as I try to help make sure the changes are fair, simple and make sense. I'm a knowledgeable ref and an experimented battler which I take into consideration when discussing any change, I love theorymon and I try to back my reasoning with either calculations or a strong reason, always. At the same time I like to be up to date with all changes that happen in mechanics and pokemon in general.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Alright, time to do this. Call me a hypocrite, liar, whatever the fuck you want. I am not going to sugar coat this application, & I am going to bite the bullet & apply for this. I might be an "outspoken critic" of this, but in reality, I want this to work out. I want to restore my own confidence in the council this term, & hope that I can serve the public well, just as I tried to do before I walked out on the job last August for reasons related to confidence in the council, prejudice (some of which I might have caused), & the fact that I needed a break from ASB politics. Anyhow, time to answer the three criteria.
  • Activity: I am generally on every day, though part-way through the term University will start up again, so my activity may drop. If I am going on a break, I will generally announce that I am doing so. Other than that, I am generally a reliable user who will usually be on daily 99% of the time.
  • Longevity: I have been around since the second week of ASB. This gives me experience & longevity very few can match... Besides dogfish... and Engineer... and smash... and Deck... Yeah you get the point. I have rarely taken a hiatus so to speak, though I have had a couple of 1-2 week hiatuses since I joined.
  • Knowledge: I would not say I am the most level-headed user in ASB, but to say that I have no idea what I am doing at all is false. As someone who has refereed TLR since its inception, owned the Ground-type gym since the inception of the Gym League, created the stat boost decay system that we use nowadays, moderators on this forum, SOps in #capasb (Albeit a bit of an idiot at times in the chat), among several other things (Including a prized "first kill" in both of ASB Raid Zone's Windburn Gulch alongside deadfox, & a TLR-caught Legendary Pokémon in the form of Regirock), it is fair to say that I have collected a massive understanding of the mechanics in ASB, that while it may not make me the most knowledgeable, can certainly make me one of the most knowledgeable (Holy shit run-on sentence much). I also have 10 months of council experience to draw upon, not that it really counts.
Okay the application is a little bit long, but I believe that I can do what is needed to help make ASB a better place... Provided people vote for me... Which I doubt... Yeah.

/me runs for the hills

Well, as one guy on IRC put it, "there is no harm in trying". I frankly don't expect a lot, but I'll admit I'm curious to see how this turns out.

• Activity: Well, I'm a gym leader, I'm reffing 6 raids at the same time, I participate in other battles and tournaments and I show up on IRC from time to time... I guess I can say I'm an active ASB player. Well, maybe I could be more active, but I doubt I can call myself anything but active. If people need to call me or to talk with me they generally have never a problem finding me, for that matter.
  • Longevity: Not much to say here. I've been around since the beginning of ASB, and never went on a hiatus for more than a week (holidays are a thing, you know^^)
  • Knowledge: This is probably my biggest selling point, if I have one. I may not be the most skilled battler in ASB, but my experience through years of playing and dwelling in complex RPs (especially Raids) allowed me to gain quite a competence in dealing with game mechanics. If there is something to balance out, or something to translate from in-game or another source into ASB, I generally can do it well. This is a very important task for any Council member, and I think I can do this better than a lot other people.

So there it is. I'll let the others judge whether I'm worthy of participating in this upcoming council or not.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Hi i'm Pwnemon and I'm running for council

i'm active, always on irc even if i'm not responding, just hl me if you want an opinion and i'll either respond immediately or .log to the highlight and then respond. I've been here for more than two years now. I know the game, having won a tournament, earned the not-particularly-easy poison badge, and placed well in factory tournament with perhaps the most ass team possible (and fuck all the haters, i plan to beat em this time around !)

I guess I'll apply, no reason not to right??

Activity: Since around October I have been quite active in ASB. And before my August-October hiatus I was very active before that as well! With an easy year coming up in school and hockey ending relatively soon, I should only become more active as time goes on!

Longevity: I'll have been around for 2 years this February with 2 couple month exits due to school and sports and all that good stuff. I think I am a good halfway mark for ASB, not brand new, not a veteran, just in the middle. Which provides an extra way of looking at issues.

Knowledge: I think that when it comes to ASB, I know quite a bit. Whether I use that knowledge when I play or not, that's a different story. Anyways, I don't have much to show off in this category. I have a Flying Badge from when jas was leader and I'd like to think that I am at least in the top 4 of the current "Best of Rest" tournament. Other than that, I guess you guys will just have to try and trust me when I say I kinda know what I'm talking about!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I like the direction this council is heading in terms of current applicants, so I suppose I'll throw my hat into the ring. I'm gonna start out with the bad news: I am largely in disagreement with how a lot of things are run here at ASB. It's not uncommon for key leadership positions here to be outdated or downright questionable. I guess if I have a platform to stand on, it's that I'm interested in increasing accountability and fairness in ASB. I know that the council isn't solely responsible for those attributes, but they definitely play a role in it.

There's a lot that still needs to be updated and fixed, and I intend to help as much as possible. I'm also interested in making ASB even more accessible for new users. We're having a strong influx of them at the moment. I believe it's important for us to capitalize on that to increase our momentum as a playerbase.

Activity: Flashmatch and Birkal have become synonymous around here. I'm usually fighting in (and completing) one or two battles on any given day. I'm arguably our most active battler at this point in time. I also do my fair share of refereeing, where I'm typically involved in at refereeing at least one gym match and several Battle Hall Challenges. I'm not very active in Policy though, so I s'pose that would have to change, huh?

Longevity: Not the oldest user applying here by any means. In fact, I'm probably the newest! But within my time of joining, I have already beaten out two seasoned veterans for the Fighting-type Gym Leader position and qualified for the Best of the Best tournament. So while it's fair to say that I haven't been here for very long (about a year), I have definitely done a significant amount of catching up.

Knowledge: I'm getting to the point where I referee my matches by heart. I have a pretty solid understanding for how this game works, I s'pose. I'm a competent enough battler that I have a good thought process on what is competitively acceptable and what is not. I like little buffs that make poor Pokemon and moves more viable. Dunno if that's a good thing or not for council. I suppose my biggest knowledge attribute is that I know how new users work, and what it's like to try to start off in ASB. I'd like to funnel that knowledge into the council to make us more accessible.
So that's about it! Sorry this took me longer than four minutes to write. I tried my best, hehe.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi. Applying for Council.

Activity: Active referee of matches, regular battler, fast enough to respond to most things within DQ. Also, pretty much 95% of my posts are made in ASB (which I lie to think is a pretty decent benchmark of activity when it comes to postcount).

Longevity: I've been in ASB long enough to witness the conception of this very Council, served in the second term as a reserve, and acted as a vocal participant in Policy Center. I took a hiatus shortly after the infamous Smogon forum transition in order to settle things IRL, and I'm happy to be back knowing where my limitations lie. Rest assured that no matter what happens, I can and will place Policy Center above all in ASB.

Knowledge: Even with the hiatus I took, I still kept myself up to date when it comes to mechanics in ASB. I am familiar enough and able enough to think ahead and project possible outcomes for introduction and implementation of mechanics in ASB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)