Data ASB Viability Rankings (Mark II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragonite: Fine in S.
Mega Gardevoir: S rank, no doubt.
Mega Gengar: This thing is a nightmare. S.
Sableye: I hate this thing. S.
Mega Charizard X: I don't think this deserves S rank, but A+ is fine I guess.
Cyclohm: Fine in A+.
Gallade: Fine in A+.
Mega Gallade: Not enough of an improvemente to deserve S if Gallade doesn't..
Gardevoir: Well... I don't think it is so strong without being mega. A, maybe?
Gengar: Fine in A+.
Mega Lucario: Yeah, Mega Luke is cool and everything, but it just dies too easiiy to be A+. It is kind of a glass cannon. So, taking it down to A would be best IMO.
Necturna: I didn't really like this guy. Or girl. Or whatever. It's movepool is not very wide, has little coverage and therefore is highly reliant in his Sketched move. And since you only get 1 of those, you can't really cover all situations. So, taking it down to A would be better IMO.
Pyroak: I don't find Pyroak as impressive as of lately, since now there are a lot of mons running around that can beat it. Gargantuan HP and 14 BAP recoiless STAB helps, but... Maybe A?
Snorlax: Snorlax is THE BEZT. However, like Frosty said in his analysis, you really have to be careful vs what you send it. His STAB is VERY strong, Heavy Slam tends to be pretty highly powered, has an enormous offenseive movepool, 130 HP... however, if something has high defensive stats, it can't do much to it. So... I don't really know. A+ or A.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Might as well open up discussion on Plasmanta.

I'm inclined to give it a preliminary B+ ranking, which factors in it's strong neutral matchups and surprisingly solid trickster options, but also acknowledges the existance of Earthquake and Psychic, which are devastating (The latter tends to need STAB, but my lord Plasmanta's a heavy bastard).

Dragonite: Overrated by a mile - Multiscale contains the Ice Weakness temporarily, but in any large format the presence of Stealth Rock destroys it. A
Mega Gardevoir: One of ASB's strongest offensive Pokemon, with the movepool of a dedicated supporter and then some. S
Mega Gengar: Frail as heck, but Shadow Tag's ability to control matchups, along with a great disruptive movepool and pure power gives it a top spot.S
Sableye: An absolute nightmare to order against, but very prone to Knock Off. I feel A+ is a stronger fit.

Mega-Charizard X: I've never fought against one, but it's certainly a strong offensive threat. A+
Cyclohm: With the rise of Fairies (Excluding Azumarill), Cyclohm lost it's S ranking. But it's still one of the best examples of bulky attacker in ASB. A+
Gallade: See Gardevoir. A+
Mega Gallade: A direct upgrade from Gallade who gains speed, a stronger Atk, and a flinch immunity. Tends to play purely Physical unlike standard Gallade, but strong enough to warrant S
Gardevoir: See Gallade. A+
Gengar: Loses the ability to control matchups that it's Mega has. I'm inclined to actually give it an A, although it's fine as is either way.
Mega Lucario: It attacks things, but it lacks the bulk or tricks that A+ tends to demand. A
Necturna: Bulky as hell, remember that we explicitly nerfed Rare Candy on her to balance. A+
Pyroak: Some of ASBs strongest STABs, a unique typing that's offensively incredible, and bulky. A+
Snorlax: Gen 1 Movepool means it can even deal with Low Kick. A+

Dragonite: S-->A+
While I may have little Experience with ASB before Gen 6, I do own a maxed Dragonite, and as such I feel i must give my opinion on its placement.
Why Drop?
1: Fairies: More importantly, Mega Gardevoir. Dragonite can not deal with with Fairies having to rely on the ok unSTABed Iron Head, unreliably Iron Tail, or the weak Steel Wing. In fact, with ORAS out with more fairies like Mega Altaria who can easily stop Dragonite dead in his tracks, Dragonite is no longer the defining force he once was.
2: Typing: Dragon/Flying, while a very good offensive typing, leaves alot to be desired defensively. Packing a 4x weakness to Ice is never a good thing, and while Multiscale and Dragonite's expansive movepool mitigates this problem somewhat, Stealth Rocks and prior damage can easily get past Multiscale and some Ice Pokemon can just muscle their way through Dragonite even through Multiscale, such as the new Mega Glalie.
3: Multiscale (The Double Edged Sword): While Multiscale is a very good ability for Dragonite, it can easily be taken advantage of by opposing pokemon, especially in Doubles. Skill Swapping Multiscale away or Tracing Multiscale can often lead to a truckload of pain for the Dragonite user, especially if the opponent is a very competant player.
4: Singles Vs. Doubles: While Dragonite may shine in 1v1 Battles due to Multiscale bulk+ridiculous coverage, it starts to lose its luster in doubles, where distruptive moves and abilities are everywhere. Look at IAR vs Deadfox for a very good example on how Dragonite was KOed in one round, despite Multiscale. Any Singles Format larger than a 3v3 also makes Dragonite falter as Stealth Rock is an always presence that neuters a good portion of Dragonite's Bulk.

Why Stay at A+ only though?
1: Movepool: 120 Moves is still 120 moves, and there are many things a Dragonite user can pull out of their ass in a desperate situation. Aerial Ace+Horn Drill is a very potent combination that Dragonite gets STAB on and pretty much oblitherates anything thats weak or neutral to it. Being a Gen 1 Pokemon means it gains those wierd, oddity moves such as Dual Screens, Mimic, Bide, Extremespeed, Endure, Heal Bell etc. Being able to go mixed with 5/5 Offensive stats means it can take full advantage of its attacking movepool and access to high BAP coverage moves on the special side can put the hurt on alot of pokemon. Anything not resisting flying will get hit by a powerful STAB hurricane off of 5 Special Attack, and anything that does resist flying gets hit by coverage moves such as Hydro Pump, Focus Blast, or Blizzard. It is no slouch on the Physical Side as well packing the Elemental Punches, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Aqua Tail/Waterfall all off of natural 5 Attack.

This is all I have on my mind atm. If anyone would like to add their thoughts on the ranking of Dragonite, go ahead. I probably missed alot of good points here.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Dragonite: Moves to A+.
Mega Gardevoir: Stays in S.
Mega Gengar: Stays in S.
Sableye: Stays in S.
Mega Charizard X: Stays in A+.
Cyclohm: Moves to A.
Gallade: Stays in A+.
Mega Gallade: Moves to S.
Gardevoir: Stays in A+.
Gengar: Moves to A.
Mega Lucario: Moves to A.
Necturna: Moves to A.
Pyroak: Moves to A.
Snorlax: Moves to A.

Reasoning later and I will update OP later. You can discuss whatever you want for the moment though Plasmanta needs a ranking.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Reasoning for the above decisions:

Dragonite: Too Multiscale reliant, relies on that one round, SR negates it, just a Dragon/Flying-type with Multiscale with a few tricks just does not cut the mustard.
Mega Gardevoir: Postergirl S-Ranker, she defines the metagame and there is arguably the best Pokémon in ASB.
Mega Gengar: Debatable but I am convinced by arguments in this thread to keep it.
Sableye: IMO being vulnerable to Knock Off is not really a great reason to drop it from S when it still has all those ridiculous traits. Also Doubles, people.
Mega Charizard X: It is on par with Dragonite so it is natural to keep it A+.
Cyclohm: Anyone who thinks Cyclohm is on par with anything with A+ is kidding itself. It is just a bulky attacker with reliable recovery and weather shenanigans. It is not the force it was.
Gallade: Gallade has no reason to move.
Mega Gallade: Gallade but a lot better. A great speed tier, great physical coverage and the tricks that make Gallade good, and a flinch immunity. S.
Gardevoir: Gardevoir has no reason to move.
Gengar: Frail, does not have the matchup control Mega Gengar has, it is just no longer the force it was.
Mega Lucario: Never liked this thing in A+. While it is a great attacker, it does not have much in the way of tricks and does not have great bulk. It is more in line with Mega Heracross.
Necturna: Overrated and one-dimensional (Oh she is going to soak you and spam horn leech et al). It has tricks but it is too reliant on the sketched move to help make up her mediocre coverage.
Pyroak: Flare Blitz/Wood Hammer nerf hit it hard, it is one dimensional and its attacking stats are subpar. The only reason it is good is because of its high HP.
Snorlax: 130 HP only takes it so far, given it has average attacking stats, a STAB that is not super reliable, and it really struggles against things with great bulk.

You can still discuss whatever... Somebody generate discussion hahaha.

I think Armaldo could move from D+ to at least C- or C safely. While it can't really deal with water-types at all, in higher formats Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin help it, as well as having solid 100/5/4/2/4/90 stats with its signature item. Combined with a not-terrible physical movepool it isn't a force of enormous destruction, but it's capable of winning neutral matchups and providing decent hazard control support while still being able to harm most things.

Can we please move Pangoro up to at least B-? Maybe even higer. With ORAS tutors, that thing now has great coverage and hits incredibly hard. It's main flaw is a 4x weakness to fairy, but it can hit those quite hard and many high rank mons have 4x weaknesses.

PD: Did I mention it has some GREAT abilities? I think I didn't. Iron Fist to boost STABs and Elemental Punches, Scrappy to hit ghosts with fighting and normal moves if it is ever needed (although Dark STAB makes this less of a worrry) and Mold Breaker to laugh at your defensive abilities.

Oh, and has some annoying moves like Taunt and Torment and yeah.

Last edited:

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Nobody posts here 9.9

Lets discuss the A and A- Ranks and decide on rankings for the Pokémon in those ranks. If anyone actually cares about posting ITT.

Frosty

=_=
I don't have time to elaborate this more, but am I the only one who feels that Revenankh is greatly overstimated? Sure it has Air Lock, but that is niche at best, and only useful on TLRs. If you remove that you will get...stats that are nothing special, coupled with a movepool that, while wide, also doesn't have anything truly special. It doesn't pack that much of a punch and isn't that bulky. Ghost moves are very weak and it doesn't have anything to make up for it and on the fighting side it doesn't get the actually powerful moves (HJK, Close Combat and Low Kick mostly).

Sure, it isn't a bad pokemon by any means, but it surely pales in comparison with mons like Necturna or Pyroak or Colossoil or Togekiss or Mr. Mime or Mega Metagross. I would rank it at B+, because B is where niche is (and Rev is damn good at his niche), but I wouldn't mind lowering it to A-.

I also have qualms with:
- Rotom-W: His movepool leaves much to be desired and Hydro Pump is very unreliable. While its defensive stats are nice and the typing too, movepool plays a big part here. For me it doesn't make sense that the other formes are C+ and this is A, when the difference between them is negligible. Also, everybody gets Solarbeam and Grass Knot vs Rotom-W has half-decent power, so the Water/Electric sure as hell isn't as effective here as it is ingame. B rank easily IMO.
- Starmie: While Starmie did make an impact on early ASB, its stats are just dreadful, it doesn't have any particularly good signature item and its movepool, while it has nifty stuff like Reflect Type, isn't all that special. It is very easy to wall it and I don't see any reason at all to keep it on the A-Rank. I'd easily put it on like...B- with Alakazam.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
My thoughts:

Mega Alakazam: Fine in A.
Aurumoth: Fine in A.
Mega Camerupt: Could move down to A- imo. It is ridiculously slow, it is match-up dependent to a degree because Water-types nuke it and it does not have much in the way of tricks outside of Focus Energy and "Do not crit it". It is still a good SR setter and it is still very strong but I do not think it is A material.
Mega Charizard Y: Fine in A.
Colossoil: Fine in A though I am not sure it is good enough to stay in A.
Cyclohm: Fine in A.
Gengar: Fine in A.
Mega Heracross: Fine in A.
Kitsunoh: Fine in A.
Krilowatt: Could move down to A- or even lower imo. Sure high HP and Countercoat but it hits like a pansy and the only reason it is that so high is because it has 125 HP. Outside of that it is mediocre.
Mega Lucario: Fine in A.
Necturna: Fine in A.
Porygon-Z: Could move down to A-; it is not that much better than Porygon2. It only has Adaptability (which is bad when your only STAB hits nothing Super Effectively) and speed over it (Which is counter-intuitive with Analytic) and I suppose the ability to hold an offensive item but that is kinda offset by Porygon2's bulk and the ability to get off Analytic against more targets.
Pyroak: Fine in A.
Revenankh: Agree with Frosty's assessment.
Rotom-W: Agree with Frosty's assessment.
Snorlax: Fine in A.
Togekiss: A or A-, seems fine.

---

Mega Aggron: Fine in A-.
Bronzong: Fine in A-.
Lucario: B+ at best. Seems very overrated, nothing remarkable about it, cannot see why this is so high.
Mega Metagross: Fine in A-.
Mr. Mime: Fine in A- though I can see it moving up because it is that good.
Porygon2: Fine in A- though B+ is a fair assessment.
Mega Slowbro: Could move to A. Physical wall, great Sp. Attack, Taunt immune, this thing is insane.
Starmie: Agree with Frosty's assessment though I think it is a bit better than B-.
Stratagem: Fine in A- though B+ is also realistic.
Tomohawk: Fine in A-.

---

Those are my collective, somewhat coherent thoughts on the current rankings? In my opinion though, A seems like a bit over-inflated atm so there are a few things that can move down.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Outside of the scope of discussion but is there any objection to emergency moving Greninja directly from B+ to A+ or S?

The justification can be seen here and here pretty much and it is far better than B+, especially in Doubles/Triples when it has access to Mat Block which many people think we should nerf. It is very telling.

See if people posted in this thread this would actually be more up to date! :o

Though I faintly mentioned that Greninja could be A-, A+ seems like a good place to start with. Seeing that Mat Block would most probably be nerfed. Also we need to discuss more as IAR is saying. More experienced players need to contribute here, as some of us don't have much battle experience with A, A- mons and Plasmanta. Sad I know :(

IAR, I'd say just wait for the decision on the Greninja thread, keep it on hold until we figure out what happens to it. (Also Mat Block being nerfed won't do that much to it when its main tool is Protean anyway)

As for the A ranks...

Megazam: This thing has the power to destroy a lot of things in a couple of hits like Mega Gengar. It just lacks some of the moves Megagar has... and Shadow Tag. Fine in A.

Aurumoth: With Illusion, No Guard, ridiculous coverage, great offense and decent bulk, Aurumoth could be S ranked... if No Guard didn't hurt it regarding things like Inferno or Stone Edge, and the sub-par speed. Fine in A.

Mega Cammy: Move to A-. It packs a ridiculous punch, but as you said, it's slower than molasses and it still can't do much in the face of Surf. In fact, Focus Band Camerupt can tank more than Mega Cammy can.

Mega Char Y: I don't know if this thing is A material. Sure, Perma-Drought Overheat coming off R7 SpA is ridiculous, but it's still ridiculously SR weak and things can tank its Fire, since its best Flying special move isn't even Hurricane. I'd say move to A-.

Colossoil: Low Kick and Grass Knot weaknesses hurt it, sure. But if you're ordering first against this thing, prepare to rage unless you're Mega Gallade in which case piss off. That all said, the weaknesses are hurting it a bit too much. Move to A-.

Cyclohm: This thing was a monster before Fairies arrived. Now that fairies are here, it's still a a monster. Just a bit more manageable monster of coverage and Special Attacks... and Bide. Fine in A.

Gengar: Fine in A. It's pretty much like Alakazam, but a Ghost/Poison type. Not much to say here.

Mega Hera: Anything not resisting Bug/Fighting or not having Flying STAB has a lot of trouble with this thing. Even then, you have Bide and possibly Counter to worry about... Fine in A because of its 4x weakness to Flying.

Kit: I love this thing when using it. I hate this thing when I'm fighting it. It's got so many fun tricks up its sleeve. If Sableye got some of this CAP's moves (or even the stats, really) it would be unstoppable. Fine in A, though I wouldn't mind seeing it in A+.

Krill: Move to B+. It doesn't hit hard at all, and the only things you should be worrying about is CounterCoat and ridiculous HP. And I guess Speed. But that doesn't matter much when your hardest hits don't hit Grass at all.

Mega Luke: Fine in A, we've already discussed this one.

Necty: Fine in A, same with this one.

Pory-Z: I... honestly don't know. I've been playing it on LLAMA, and let me tell you, if the opposing team doesn't have a Rock, Steel or a Ghost, you're hurting something. Even with only 40 moves, I had a lot of fun playing this thing with Silk Scarf. Using Hyper Beam combos is incredibly fun, too (like so) and, while it does suffer from a lot of Speed, it gets Trick Room. If you want to use Analytic, just use that or combos. I feel it can stay in A, but I wouldn't mind seeing it drop to A-.

Oak: Discussed, fine in A.

Rev: Definitely overestimated, move to B+ or B.

Rotom-W: Move to B.

Lax: I don't see the big fuzz about Snorlax. If you resist Normal and aren't weak to Steel (or if , odds are can damage race it. Sure, 130 HP. Who cares? It's ridiculously weak to Low Kick and can't do squat besides Counter and Bide (which if you're ordering second, don't even matter much). Grass Knot isn't as effective, but it also works to damage race. I'd say move to A- or B.

Kiss: Crit 60% Air Slash is OP Fine in A.

--

Meggron: Fine in A-, though I don't see any reason why it can't go up to A. It hits like a truck with Heavy Slam and just outright shuts down Physical attackers, even most Low Kick users have trouble damage racing it.

Zong: Fine in A-, but screw its bulk, seriously.

Luke: Move to B, imo. It's got a lot of competition with a lot of new physical attackers and even its own Mega, so its not doing that much now.

Megagross:
I actually feel this thing can go up to A. Lots of options (you can have great bulk on both ends, crazy speed, insane offense and even go mixed), +2 Bullet Punch is hilarious (same priority as Extreme Speed, have fun), and it's hurting like crazy with things like Metal Claw. It's still only suffering from the same weaknesses regular Meta had, but now it can work around those and just slam the opponent you want to target.

Mime:
If you don't have a Kitsunoh or a good Steel-typed or Ghost-typed physical attacker, prepare to rage. Even then, it's a hassle. This thing can tank so much, and it's only got 90 HP. It's like you're facing a Shuckle with actual offensive presence. Move to A, I'd say.

Pory2:
Fine in A, but that's just the theorymon in me talking. I haven't seen this guy enough to say anything.

Megabro: He definitely lives up to his name. Great tank, Taunt immunity... this guy is kinda like the special version of Mega Aggron. Move to A, maybe even A+, if we feel the need to.

Starmie: Haven't seen this enough to say much, but I'd say B or B- looks good.

Strata: It's good enough to stay in A-, but I'm theorymoning here.

Tomo: Fine in A-, though with its options I can't say I'd be surprised if it went to A.

Frosty

=_=
If meloetta was included i think mewtwo should be too. A or a+.

I feel both forms of charizard are being overrated. X doesnt have strong reliable stabs so tough claws isnt that awesome on it and its movepool, while in theory, wide, isnt that good. And Y loses to rock mons. Even with solar power and drought it still loses damage races to rock mons or mons yhat resist fire and have a decently powerful stone edge.

Sometimes i feel ingame is the reason here. Or maybe it is i who still didnt get how to work with charizard.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Flare Blitz pls. Recoil doesn't mean 13 bp 100 acc isn't reliable! Offensively its movepool hits everything it needs, steel coverage, focus punch combos, etc, and has the opportunity to go mixed easily. Idk how any pokemon with a gen 1 movepool, counter, and bide among others can have a poor movepool. It's control game is limited to fire spin and damaging evasives it's true, but that's still more than most mons get. Support wise tailwind and reflect come into play in multi formats.

Actually now I'm curious, I think you could have a point but I don't think you've stated it well at this basic level. Care to go more in depth?

You aren't downgrading a Mon solely because it has a quad weakness (particularly when it can often respond with quad SE solarbeam or counter). This should play into the reasoning for Charizard as a whole if it moves down I'd presume

Edit: double checked, block and defog also qualify as minor field control

Edit2: looking at the current ranks I think there's a case to be made for Zard-y to A- but I think zard-x is a clear cut above the A rank

Edit3: speaking of, A+ rank is really thin, add geninja and one or two of the best A ranks (Auru?) yeah?

Last edited:
This may be slightly off-topic since we're doing the higher ranks now but why is Ferrothorn D? In my opinion, it should be C, or at least C-. If you don't have a strong Fire-type move or STAB Focus Blast, you're probably not getting through it- Anticipation and natural 5/5 defenses mean that even stuff like Hidden Power Fire and non-STAB Focus Blast aren't dealing too much damage, and even attacking it from the physical side usually has plenty of risk due to Iron Barbs.

Basically the only reason I don't think it should be higher than C is it's sub-par offensive movepool. While it does get a decent amount of coverage, only Ferro's Steel moves, Grass moves, and Payback are the ones that you really need to care about. If it had a better movepool in theory it could even stand up to a decent amount of Fire-types, but without it it's a tank that can only hit back hard some of the time (although Gyro Ball strongth)

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Update (Mostly done with IRC help):

Mega Alakazam: Stays in A.
Aurumoth: Stays in A.
Mega Camerupt: Moves to A-.
Mega Charizard Y: Moves to A-.
Colossoil: Stays in A.
Gengar: Stays in A.
Mega Heracross: Moves to A-.
Kitsunoh: Stays in A.
Krilowatt: Moves to A-.
Mega Lucario: Moves to A-.
Necturna: Stays in A.
Porygon-Z: Moves to A-.
Pyroak: Stays in A.
Revenankh: Moves to B.
Rotom-W: Moves to B.
Snorlax: Stays in A.
Togekiss: Stays in A.
Mega Aggron: Stays in A-.
Bronzong: Stays in A-.
Lucario: Moves to B+.
Mega Metagross: Moves to A.
Mr. Mime: Moves to A+.
Porygon2: Moves to B.
Mega Slowbro: Stays in A-.
Starmie: Moves to B.
Stratagem: Stays in A-.
Tomohawk: Stays in A-.
Greninja: Moves to A+.
Ferrothorn: Moves to C-.

Reasoning to come later and the list will be updated later as well. If you have any objections to these changes, voice your opinions now before I do the changes in a few hours since I gtg for now.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Crap forgot Cyclohm and Mewtwo, but they can stay in A. No real reason to move either.

Justifications for those moved:

Mega Camerupt: Despite being a potent offensive force with great bulk, it is slower than molasses and is very matchup-based. I do not perceive those qualities to be good enough to move to B+ however.
Mega Charizard Y: Similar situation to Mega Camerupt with regards to matchup and offensive prowess, though it is less of a factor here. Also a bit of a one-trick pony with its heavy reliance on sun to deal huge damage.
Mega Heracross: See the above two.
Krilowatt: My experience with it in LLAMA is disappointing enough to conclude overrated on this one. Its great HP, Speed, and abilities do not make up for its weak offensive presence completely dependent on a Life Orb to function. It is still a good Pokémon but it is not worthy of A.
Mega Lucario: I see this as just as a less powerful, but less matchup-dependent version of Mega Heracross with opportunity cost of mega slot. It was too bad for A+ and yeah, its not good enough for A.
Porygon-Z: Similar to Mega Charizard Y with regards to being a one-trick pony with Silk Scarf shenanigans but it does have tricks to keep it good and it does not like fighting Normal-type resists.
Revenankh: This thing is way too high. It has unremarkable stats and is dependent on matchup. It is just... unremarkable. Frosty's argument sums it up.
Rotom-W: Typical Ghost-type tricks, nothing spectacular with moves, issues with secondary STAB, overrated, yeah. Too high relative to other Rotom formes. Frosty's argument sums it up.
Lucario: A Jackal of all trades, master of none. Mega Lucario is strictly better than regular Lucario and that got moved down this update.
Mega Metagross: The metagame has been really kind to it with a strong movepool and great all-round stats. Steel/Psychic is a great typing and it has a great priority movepool.
Mr. Mime: Where do I start? Great typing, a gazillion tricks, competent offence complimented by Technician, Odd Incense, Filter, huge movepool... You would be crazy to think Mr. Mime is worse than A+ imo.
Porygon2: Reliance on an Eviolite to function and competition with Porygon-Z hurts, especially given Trace, bulk, and a more reliable Analytic is all it has over Porygon-Z.
Starmie: Starmie is still good but the metagame is not kind to it with many Pokémon in the high ranks beating it one on one.
Greninja: @_@
Ferrothorn: Left of field but Gen VI was actually really kind to it though matchup hinders it a lot. It does have a niche in this metagame however and is worthy of C-.

===

And now we move to the B+ Rank. Due to the increasing numbers in each rank I will only deal with one sub-rank at a time to avoid too much work. That is not to say that nothing else can be discussed but B+ should be the primary focus for now.

To start discussion:

B+ Rank -> B or B- Rank

ORAS and policy changes was not kind to Aromatisse. While it gained some new toys in ORAS, some of the Pokémon it was fighting against got better. Most notably Gardevoir who got Draining Kiss which would have neutered the Big Root Draining Kiss niche Aromatisse had prior to the nerf. It is also matchup based and slower than molasses though an unstoppable Trick Room helps alleviate it. Its main niche nowadays lies with Aroma Veil and being able to being able to hammer the omnipresent Sableye more reliably than Gardevoir ever could but it is definitely starting to fall out of favour and lowering it to B or B- is appropriate given it still has a decent niche in this meta.

B+ Rank -> B- Rank

Regular Aggron is losing his effectiveness as the Physical Powerhouse, with physical bulk, SR and Phasing lead. He is match up dependent and has problems because of his dual quad weaknesses. Especially the spread of weak Ground and Fighting moves (Even Mud-Slap by mixed or special attacker would do a decent number on him). He struggles to win neutral match-ups in B+ Rank and is outclassed in his roles by Steelix (Mega), Steelix, Tyranitar and Druddigon who are all in the B rank. He could safely move to C+ Rank where he has decent match-ups and where he would be with Swampert (Mega), Rhyperior, Drapion, Avalugg, Ferrothorn and buddies.

B+ Rank -> B Rank

Agree with IAR about Aromatisse not being as good as she was earlier. She has more niche in TLRs and Raids and Doubles+ battles, but not so much in singles. Clefable gives her a tough competition for utility, support, decent bulk, Encore and Magic Guard and also Clefable's range of Physical Attacks make her a better overall pokemon. But Aromatisse still has her Niche so she could find her place in Rank B for now.

B+ Rank -> B Rank

Azumarill has a great defensive typing and great abilities in Sap Sipper and Huge Power. Although the bunnies powers can be limited by ability swap, ability null or Spamming Electric type moves. Her speed is a drawback, in a way, by limiting her to attacking last against half of the neutral Match-ups in B+ and higher ranks. Niche moves like Soak, Encore, Perish Song and a bunch of D/E moves are a plus, but Azumarill is overall more of a defensive pokemon and fails to impress regularly on the offensive side in neutral match-ups, also the fact that she gets stiff competition from Mega Mawile in B Rank for more offensive presense in the current Meta game.

Last edited:
Eh, I'd say Aggron's only real competition in it's role is Steelix (who is a great physical tank but then can't nuke things like Aggron can). The ground and fighting weaknesses, while harmful, are partially negated by Aggron's ridiculous defense stat (even if Low Kick hurts, it hurts a lot less than Grass Knot does to, say, Rhyperior). And besides, Aggron's Head Smash and Heavy Slam have ridiculous BAP, which helps a lot. Assuming you can keep it away from Fighting and Ground-types, of course.

B- might be warranted, but that's the absolute bottom imo.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Plasmanta is being given a preliminary rank of B due to good support and stats but low coverage and a 4× weakness to Ground.

Carry on as normal.

*Agreeing with Avnomke on Aggron moving to B- instead, I did overlook Head Smash and Heavy Slam didn't I? But yeah, B- is good for Aggron.

B+ Rank

Camerupt is the prefered fire type in B Rank because of his ability to Mega Evolve, His bulk due to Magma Armor and Solid Rock, and Anger Point making critical hits a boon, his ability to go mixed along with support moves like Hazards and Phasing give Camerupt enough to play around with.

B+ Rank -> B- Rank

Chandelure was a great pokemon last gen due to his Tricks, Power and Abilities. Chandelure still has a great niche in Infiltrator, Flame Body, a potential Rank 7 SpA, along with decent bulk and a good amount of tricks. But with the Meta shifting towards flexible Mega options and Hazard support, Chandelure doesn't get many picks as a Tricky Fire type with POWER. The rise of Fairies and Colossoil means that Charizard, Pyroak, Camerupt and Mollux fill more team options than Chadelure does and Flash Fire is more of a liability in singles than an ability to have.

B+ Rank

Conkeldurr hits like a truck and is the epitome of bulky offense. Guts means that you are not going to lower his offensive power any time soon and Sheer Force + Iron Fist means his coverage punches are going to lay the hurt. With Bide, Knock Off, Taunt, Helping Hand and Wide Guard, Conkeldurr has the power for singles and provides decent support for doubles+. Definitely one of the top pokemon in B Rank and is limited only because of faster fighters with better options (Mega, Second Typing, etc).

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Adding Landorus to C+ as a preliminary ranking for the following reasons:

+Possesses a lot of immediate power with Sheer Force + Life Orb coming off 5/4 offences.
+Has a decent support movepool consisting of Gravity, Knock Off, Imprison, Block, U-Turn, Stealth Rock, Sandstorm, and staples.
+Decent coverage consisting of Ground, Rock, Fighting, Dark, Normal, Poison, Grass Knot, U-Turn, Iron Tail, Outrage, Fly, and Hidden Power.
+101 Speed allows +Speed variants to outrun key opponents like Mega Gardevoir, Mega Charizard X, Colossoil, and Neutral Krilowatt.
-Crippling Ice-type Weakness which while can be offset by Yache Berry or Focus Band, forgoes its offensive power and its bulk does not really help its cause. Ice-type coverage is also common on a lot of top tier Pokémon to better handle threats such as Dragonite.
-Lack of Endure, a retaliatory move, Taunt, Torment, etc to be able to better cope with Ice-type spam.
-Forced to rely on Fissure to be able to keep up in a damage race against Ice-type attacks.
-Only having Fly for Flying-type STAB means anti-levitation tech stops it cold with regards to using Flying-type attacks.
-As a result, Landorus struggles against a lot of high- and top-tier threats.

What gives it a C+ is that its power levels and niches are roughly on par with things such as Lanturn, Syclant, and Weavile though we will get to C+ sortouts sooner or later more like in several months time.

Carry on as normal well if there was any activity in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)